Some of the following obituaries were found in a scrapbook at an antique store in Kingsville, Ohio called TRASH & TREASURES.
This store also had lots of old photographs of which many didn't have names on them but some of them did.
The scrapbook which contained the obituaries had a price on it of $75.00.  It contained many articles pertaining to Ashtabula County, Ohio.  I could not afford to buy the book so I took some snapshots with my digital camera.

Others were found at the Conneaut Public Library on film in the History Room.


1 - 2 - 3 - 4

The following obituary was contributed by Edna Edwards of Delaware, Ohio.

The "CONNEAUT REPORTER" Dec. 25, 1879.
"HOPKINS - In Amboy, Dec. 106h, instantly of apoplexy, at his residence, Gardner Hopkins, aged 84 years.  He was a native of Rhode Island and the lat of a family of ten children of Oliver Hopkins, a soldier of the Revolution."

Also found in the ASHTABULA TELEGRAPH on Dec. 26, 1879.
My Dear Old Telegraph:--"The cold chilly winds of December are upon us, and if we have all done our duty we are prepared for them, as we have had sufficient warning.
Last week two quite sudden deaths occurred in our midst.  One a Mr. Garner Hopkins, who lived near Amboy station, had been threshing for a neighbor with a flail, came home and while sitting in his chair with the family, suddenly ceased to breathe, and that was all the struggle he had to pass away.  He was a very robust, hearty man for one of his age--85.  Some fifty years ago he was a resident of Ashtabula, and lived near Bunker Hill.  The other was Stephen B. Hopkins, a nephew of Garner.  He had been a resident of the borough for the past eight years.  He was formerly from Pierpont, and I believe was one of the pioneers of that township.  He was one of the most successful deer hunters on the Reserve.  The Hopkins family were natives of Rhode Island, and descended of one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence."  (Stephen Hopkins, Signer of the Declaration of Independence was actually a second cousin twice removed.)
"Gardner Hopkins was born in 1796 at Foster, Rhode Island.  He married Freelove Parker, who was born August 12, 1798 at Scituate, Rhode Island.  The marriage took place in 1817.  They were located at Virgil, Courtland County, New York, where he followed the occupation of farming.  Gardner was a cooper by trade, but being poor, not getting on as well as he wished and with a view of bettering the family's condition, he determined to pull up stakes and go west.  They moved to Amboy, Ashtabula County, Ohio, four miles west of Conneaut, Ohio, on the Western Reserve where he did some farming."  (Hopkins genealogy)


The following obituary was found in the
"CONNEAUT REPORTER" on Aug. 8, 1888:


In the midst of the harvest season our Supreme Ruler has caused another being rip for the sickle of death to be garnered from our midst into the household beyond the grave.  Long has the soul been rip and waiting for that touch from death's angel which releasing it from its aged tenement, would set it free to dwell in the presence of the Maker.  The lapse of over four score yeas had bent the frame, dimmed the eye, crowned her with winter's locks, and like King Lear, her withered cheeks could not be made to bloom again even though bathed in tears Cordelia shed.

Mrs. Keyes was born at Commington, Mass., June 16, 1797, the first child of Asa and Jemima Bates.  Her childhood days were spent in the "bay state" and in 1815 moved with the family of her aunt, Mrs. Lewis Thayer, to Conneaut, where she has ever since resided.  In 1829 she was marred to General Henry Keyes, who preceded her along the pathway into the valley of death ten years ago.  She was the kind mother of seven children and an upright christian woman.  Very suddenly Monday afternoon she was stricken with apoplexy and in three hours, between 4 and 5 o'clock, the summons came for the spirit to leave the clay and wing its way to join the welcoming friends over beyond.  Four brothers and sisters, five children and a host of friends are left behind to grieve over her departure from among them.  She died in the eighty-seventh year of her earthly pilgrimage, with a pure and undying faith in a great Redeemer and an eternal life within his household.

The funeral will be held at 2'oclock this afternoon, at the family residence on Liberty street, Rev. J. R. Findley officiating.

  The date of the following clipping was probably in the 1930's in an Ashtabula or Conneaut, Ohio Newspaper.

99 Years Old, Death Occurs Tuesday

CONNEAUT, Feb. 14 - Mrs. Adaline M. Ingalls died at 3:30 p.m., Tuesday, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. I. P. Felch. at Bushnell.  She had been ill two weeks following a fall on Jan. 31, when she fractured her hip, a few days prior to celebrating her 99th birthday anniversary.
     Mrs. Ingalls was preceded in death by her sister, Mrs. Susan Ingalls, who died following a similar fall on March 4, 1932.  The sisters spent nearly all their lives together and were widely known in this community.
     Mrs. Ingalls, formerly Miss Adaline Randall, was born in Sparta township, N. Y.  The family moved to Kingsville and later went to Ashtabula and lived on a farm where Woodland park is now located.  When Mrs. Ingalls was 14 she moved with her parents to Monroe.
     On Jan. 13, 1865, she was married to Henry R. Ingalls of Cortland, N. Y.  They lived there 10 years and then moved to Vineland, N. J., where they lived for 30 years.  They then moved to Bushnell.  Mr. Ingalls died 28 years ago.
     Mrs. Ingalls had lived with her daughter 35 years.  She was a member of the Woman's Relief Corps and Monroe Grange.
     Two daughters survive, Mrs. I. P. Felch and Mrs. L. G. Felch of Bushnell.  A son, Fitch Ingalls, lives in Richmond, Va.  Two granddaughters also survive.  There are four great grandsons, two great granddaughters, and five great-great grandsons.
     Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Friday at the home of Mrs. I. P. Felch in Bushnell.  Mrs. Walter Wood, assistant pastor of the Spiritual temple at Ashtabula, will conduct the service.  Burial will be in the family lot in Kelloggsville.

See copy of original clipping here.


The following article which was found in an old scrapbook was contributed by Jane Dittler Greenfield


Mrs. Angeline Matson, an aged resident of the east side passed away at her home this morning at four o'clock.

Death occurred very suddenly.  Her sister, Mrs. Ira Marcy, who lives with her, spoke to her about four o'clock and receiving no answer after calling several times, she looked at her more closely and found that her heart had ceased to beat.

Mrs. Matson has lived in East Conneaut for many years and well known to all the older settle_.  She was married some years ago to Samuel Reams and after his death married Norman Matson.  Only a short time ago it will be remembered that she and her sister were nearly asphyxated by coal gas.

The funeral will be held Sunday at two-thirty, p.m. at her home in East Conneaut.  The Relief Corps will conduct the services.

(Sharon Wick's Note:  Mrs. Angeline Matson and Samuel Reams were buried in City Cemetery.  Possibly Norman Matson was also buried there)


Death at 3:45 a.m. today claimed Mrs. Madelaine Risley Ward, 19, wife of Orcutt Ward, Daniels-av, and daughter of Lyman Risley, also of Daniels-av.  Mrs. Ward died in Brown Memorial hospital. 
She was married to Orcutt Ward, Aug. 31, 1935, and leaves her husband and father; a daughter, Patricia Anne; a son, Reed Lyman, and an aunt, Mrs. R. C. Buck, Conneaut.
The body is now at the Marcy funeral home where friends may call Friday afternoon and evening.  Rites will be at the funeral home at 2 p.m. Saturday with Rev. R. E. Benjamin officiating.  Internment will be in family lot in Amboy cemetery.

(See Grave Stone)


CONNEAUT - Aug. 3 - Funeral services for Hugh Wick, who was killed Sunday when the boat in which he and six others were riding overturned in Lake Erie near Whitman creek, were held at the Wick home in Kelloggsville at 2:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Mr. Wick's death was announced as due to heart failure but the doctor who examined the body states that Mr. Wick struck something when he dived from the boat, receiving head injuries which caused his death.

Rev. H. L. Bethel of the Kingsville Baptist church had charge of the services.  Gordon Thompson sang "In the Sweet Bye and Bye."  Burial was in the Kellogsville cemetery.

The funeral was well attended and a large number of beautiful floral offerings showed the high esteem in which Mr. Wick was held.

Click here to see copy of original clipping.


Death Occurs at Niece's Home in Conneaut

CONNEAUT  - Dec. 3 - Mrs. Maria Davis, 88, widow of A. D. Davis of Ashtabula, died shortly after 1 p.m. today at the home of her niece, Mrs. M. H. Burrington, 321 Main st. Conneaut.

Mrs. Davis was born in Kelloggsville. Besides her husband, Mrs. Friend Metcalf and Miss Jennie Hayward of Ashtabula, Mrs. Jasper Hill of Kellogsville and Mrs. Thomas Cummins of Ontario and Mrs. Burrington.

Funeral services will be held at 1:30 p.m. Monday at the Burrington home in Conneaut.  Rev. J. H. Rankin will officiate and burial will be to Kelloggsville cemetery.

NOTE:  See additional newsclipping below.




The following article was in the newspaper 1934 (the name of the newspaper is unknown at this time as the obit. was found in a scrapbook)

Rites Held Today for
Mrs. Burrington, 86

CONNEAUT - March 27? - Mrs. Minnie Hayward Burrington, 84, Main-st, a highly respected resident of Conneaut for the past 60 years, died at her home at 3:30 a.m. Sunday.  While she had been in ill health for the past two years, she was seriously ill only two weeks before her death with neuritis.

Born in Kelloggsville, July 2, 1854, Mrs. Burrington lived the earlier part of her life in that community.  She came to Conneaut almost 60 years ago and has made her home here continuously since that time.  Her family was one of the pioneer families of this county

Mrs. Burrington is survived by two daughters, Miss Ruth Burrington and Miss Edna Burrington.  Both at home and by one...............[the rest was illegible in the picture that was taken of the obit. by Sharon Wick.  It will be corrected at a later date]

Published in 1932

Influenza is Fatal To Aged Resident

CONNEAUT - Jan. 11 -- W. C. Adams 83, Dorman-rd. died at his home at 7:30 a.m. Saturday, following an Illness of eight weeks.  Death followed complications which set in following an attack of intestinal influenza.
     Mr. Adams had been a resident of this vicinity practically all of his life.  He lived in Monroe Center until 15 years ago, at which time he moved in the present home on Dorman-rd.
     Besides his wife, Mr. Adams is survived by two daughters, Mrs. R. F. Blake, Dorman-rd. and Mrs. E. H. Whiting.  Monroe Center.  There are three living sisters, Mrs. Will Joiner, Perry, O; Mrs. Myron Eaton, Monroe Center, and Mrs. Ellen Stanton, Ashtabula.
     There are also three grandchildren, Walter Whiting, Ashtabula,  Mrs. Clarence Braden, Monroe Center; and Harry Hicks, Fern-st.  His great grandchildren and several nieces and nephews live in this district.
     The funeral services will be in the Adams home at 2 p.m. Tuesday with Rev. R. E. Benjamin of the South Ridge Baptist church officiating.  Internment will be in Kelloggsville cemetery.


  Published in 1933

Life Long Resident of County Dies

CONNEAUT, May 19, -- Mrs. Alta Lillie, 42, died at Brown Memorial hospital, 10 p.m. Thursday, following an operation.
     Mrs. Lillie was born in Denmark,
June 10 1891, the daughter of Mr. & Mrs. George Richmond,  She was united in marriage with Roy Lillie, Nov. 10, 1910.  To them were born one daughter, Mary Jean and one son, Richard.  One daughter died in infancy.
     She was a member of the United Brethren church of Bulah.  Surviving members of the family are her husband and two children, her parents, Mr. and Mrs. George Richmond, three brothers and one sister, Almon, Raymond and Herman of Denmark and Mrs. Edith Barko, of Buffalo.
     Funeral services will be at Bulah church at 2:30 p.m. Sunday.  Rev. C. W. Balyeat of the United Brethren church of Conneaut officiating.  A pray service will be held at the Phoebe Lillie home at 2 p.m.  Burian will be in Denmark cemetery.

See Copy of original clipping

  In Newspaper dated Dec. 3


Interment Takes Place in Kelloggsville

Funeral services for Mrs. Maria Davis of Ashtabula, who passed away here Friday, were held at 1:30 p.m. Monday at the home of her niece, Mrs. M. H. Burrington, 321 Main-st.
     The pallbearers were Walter Ward, Wallace Metcalf, Paul Metcalf, and Jerry Benson.
     The rites were largely attended with many relatives present from Ashtabula and other points.  Many beautiful floral offerings were in evidence.
     Rev. J. H. Rankin, pastor of Congregational church, officiated.  During the services Rev. Rankin read "Abide With Me."  Interment was made in the family lot at Kelloggsville.

Click here to see copy of original clipping


From Geneva Times
1 March 1881

COLT - In Conneaut, Feb. 12th, Wolcott COLT, aged 80 years.

DARLING - In Conneaut, Feb. 19th, at the residence of her son, P. M. Darling.  Mrs. Fanny A. Darling, aged 94 years.

From Conneaut News Herald
January 15, 1954
Jerome C. Fisher, Ex-Resident, Dies

Funeral services for Jerome C. Fisher, former Conneaut resident, were held Friday at Plymouth Church at the intersection of Chapel, Coventry and Weymouth Rds in Cleveland. Mr. Fisher, a corporation lawyer with the firm of Thompson, Hine and Flory, Guardian Building, Cleveland, died Tuesday of a heart attack. Mr. Fisher, was last in Conneaut on July 24 when Conneaut High School Class of 1904 had its 50 year reunion at the Gleason Cabin, Cherry Hill. Active in civic functions in Cleveland, Mr. Fisher was a founder and trustee of the Maternal Health Assn.
He is survived by his wife, Katherine, and two daughters.

Conneaut News Herald
Monday, Oct 26, 1953
Hugh S. Hubbard, 72, Found Dead

Hugh S. Hubbard, 72, of 427 Mill St, was found dead at 9:30 p.m. Saturday at his home. Coroner Clyde C. Roller ruled death was caused by a self-inflicted gunshot wound. He had been in failing health for the past several months and suffered a heart attack two weeks ago. Mr. Hubbard lived his entire life in this vicinity. He was a retired farmer and had been employed for 32 years by the Nickel Plate Railroad as a Machinist.

He is survived by his wife, Nancy; son, Hugh H. Hubbard, East Lakeville; two grandsons, Albert Hubbard, East Lakeville and Hugh H. Hubbard Jr., with the armed forces in Germany, and two great grandchildren, Susan and Betty Hubbard.

Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Wednesday at the Marcy Funeral Home with Rev. Arthur Kirk, pastor of the East Conneaut Methodist Church, officiating. Burial will be in East Lakeville Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home Tuesday afternoon and evening.

From Conneaut News Herald
Monday, November 9, 1953
Mrs. C. D. Reno Dies at Age 58
Mrs. Catherine S. Reno, 58, of 183 Grandview Ave. died in Ashtabula General Hospital at 2 a.m. today. She was taken to the hospital for surgery several days ago and death resulted from complications.

Born in Butler PA, June 2, 1895, she had been a resident of Conneaut 37 years. She is survived by her husband, Cyril D., four daughters, Mrs. Jacquelin Rentschler and Mrs. Jerry Glosser, of Ashtabula, and Barbara and Joan at home; a sister, Mrs. Florence Bender of Oil City PA, and five grandchildren.

Funeral services will be at the Thompson Funeral Home at 2 p.m. Wednesday, Rev. Richard Kline pastor of Congregational – Christian Church officiating. Burial will be in Glenwood Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home from 2 to 4 and 7 to 9 Tuesday.
From Conneaut News Herald
Monday, Oct. 26, 1953
Auto Crash Kills Jack Godding, 15
Jack Richard Godding, 15, of Deland FL, was killed in an auto accident Sunday morning. He and his family lived in Conneaut until November 1952 when they moved to Florida.

He is survived by his mother, Mrs. George Jeffries; a half-brother, Terry Pegler; grandparents, Mr. and Mrs. George Godding Sr, of West Springfield; and an uncle, George Godding Jr, aunt, Agnes P. Godding, and cousin, Agnes Mary Godding, all of West Springfield. Funeral arrangements are pending. He will be buried in Florida.
  From Conneaut News Herald
Monday, November 9, 1953
Mrs. Agostino Rosa, 71, Dies

Mrs. Philomena Rosa, 71, of 382 Bliss Ave. died at her home Saturday evening. She had been in failing health for the past six months. Mrs. Rosa was born Aug. 18, 1882 and came to Conneaut from New Rochelle NY.

She is survived by her husband, Agostino; two daughters, Mrs. Theresa Ross, Mill St. and Mrs. Peter Stanziano, Broad St; two sons, Don Rosa, Mill St, and Frank Rosa, Bliss Ave; two grandchildren, and several nieces and nephews.

Funeral services will be at 9:30 a.m. Tuesday at St. Mary’s Church. Burial will be in St. Joseph’s Cemetery. Friends may call at the Cunningham Funeral Home this afternoon and evening.



From Ashtabula Star Beacon
Monday, April 27, 1953

Lakeville Girl Dies in Crash

Conneaut – Funeral services for Patricia Ann Meyers, 19, East Lakeville, who was killed Saturday in a traffic accident near Oak Harbor, will be conducted Tuesday at 2 p.m. at the Marcy Funeral Home here. Miss Meyers, who was celebrating her 19th birthday Saturday, was enroute to East Lakeville to visit her parents when the two car accident occurred shortly after noon. She was a passenger in a vehicle driven by Mrs. Charles Dunham, Port Clinton. She had been visiting with the Dunhams for the past month.

Miss Meyers was born in Conneaut April 23, 1934 and attended Rowe High School, Lakeville. She is survived by her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Carl Meyers; four sisters, Mrs. Mildred Waxman, Cleveland, Mrs. Georgia Roberts, Mrs. Caroline Mullen and Ruthann Meyers, Conneaut; two brothers, Charles and John, Conneaut and a grandfather, Charles Rought, Conneaut.

Rev. John P. Andrew, pastor of the Four Square Gospel Church and Rev. George Allen, pastor of the Pentecostal Holiness Church at Conneaut will conduct the funeral services. Burial will be in East Lakeville Cemetery. Calling hours will be observed at the hospital tonight.


From Conneaut News Herald
Oct. 29, 1954

Rites Monday for Bernie Barringer

Funeral services for Bernie B. Barringer, 74, former Conneaut resident who died Wednesday in Edgewater FL will be conducted at 2 p.m. Monday at the Marcy Funeral Home. Rev. Ralph Gray, of the First Methodist Church, will officiate. Burial will be in Center Cemetery. Calling hours will be observed at the funeral home Sunday afternoon and evening.


From Conneaut News Herald
Monday, July 6, 1953

Mrs. Ida Bisbee Dies at Age 72

Mrs. Ida North Bisbee, 72, of 371 Mill St died at 1:30 p.m. Friday at Longview Hospital, Kingsville. Death was caused by coronary occlusion. She was the only child of the late Isaac B. and Mary Sheldon North. She was born Dec. 26, 1880 in Spring Township, Crawford County PA. After finishing Conneautville High School in 1900 she taught school for three years. She married Fred Rundell, of Rundells PA in 1903. He died in September of the same year. In 1924 she married Garfield Bisbee, an engineer with the Nickel Plate Railroad, who died in 1937. Mrs. Bisbee was a member of the First Baptist Church in Conneaut, the GIA and the Kingsville Townsend Club.

She is survived by seven stepchildren, Mrs. Marshall (Lillian) Weck, Raymond Bisbee, Gordon Bisbee, Fredrick Bisbee, all of Cleveland, Mrs. Frank (Ruth) Babcock, Ashtabula, Mrs. Harry (Marion) Cline and Mrs. Robert (Alice) Koons, Conneaut. Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Marcy Funeral Home with Rev. W. E. Hayden, of the First Baptist Church, officiating. Burial will be in East Lakeville Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home this evening.

From Conneaut News Herald
Monday, November 9, 1953
Conneaut Man Killed in Auto Wreck

Chester S. Wnoroski, 35, of 801 Day St, died an hour after being injured in a two car collision on Lake Rd, Saturday afternoon. The accident occurred at 1:40 p.m.

Mr. Wnoroski’s death brings to 31 the number of traffic fatalities in the county this year as compared to 30 at this time last year. It was the first traffic fatality in Lakeville in a little more than a year.

Mr. Wnoroski, who was driving a 1953 Dodge, was traveling east on Lake Rd according to Lakeville Police who investigated the accident. They said his car left the road and traveled for more than 220 feet on the south side of the pavement on the lawn of the Reardon property, 1523 Lake Rd. Coming back onto the road, the car careened across the highway and left the pavement on the south side where it traveled for about 260 feet.
Hits Ashtabulan’s Auto

Pulling back into the highway the Wnoroski car ploughed into a car driven by Robert A. Arvidson, 54, Ashtabula, pushing it off the south side of the road. After hitting the Arvidson car, the Wnoroski vehicle rolled 30 feet off the north side of the road. Mr. Wnoroski died at 2:45 p.m. His death resulted from internal head and chest injuries.

Also injured in the accident were Wnoroski’s passengers, Carmen Cicarelli, 40, of 848 ˝ Day St, and Andrew Merrila, 735 Harbor St. Cicarelli suffered lacerations of the head and knee. Merrila was undergoing x-rays at the hospital this morning for possible chest injuries. Both men were reported in good condition by hospital attaches. The Wnoroski car was a total loss, police said. The Arvidson car, which was pulling a two- wheel trailer was considerably damaged.

Mr. Wnoroski was born in Conneaut Oct. 22, 1918. He was employed by the Nickel Plate Railroad as a car inspector.

See St. Joseph Cemetery


From Conneaut News Herald
Saturday, Sept 4, 1954

John Neal, 66, Kingsville, Dies

John J. Neal, 66, of Kingsville, died at his winter home, Englewood Fl, Friday evening following a heart attack. Mr. Neal had been in apparent good health up to the time of his death.

Born in Conneaut, he had been a resident of this vicinity most of his life. He was retired from the Sate Highway Dept. He is survived by his wife, Sarah, of Kingsville; a son, Richard, Punta Gorda FL; two brothers, Harry of Cleveland and Fred of Shield ND and seven grandchildren. Two sons, Robert and Kenneth, were killed in World War II.

Funeral services will be at 2 p.m. Tuesday at the Kingsville Presbyterian Church, Rev. John Eakin, pastor of the church officiating. Burial will be in Lulu Falls Cemetery, Kingsville. Friends may call at the Thompson Funeral Home from 7 to 9 p.m. Monday


  From Conneaut Reporter
Thursday, July 31st, 1856

Dr. Van Ort, of Springfield township committed suicide in this City last Saturday.  He came to Erie about three weeks since to be treated by Dr. Brandes for some disease under which he was laboring; but unfortunately fell into drinking habits, and continued to indulge freely until Friday when, as is supposed, in a fit of mental derangement produced by liquor, he took a liberal quantity of opium, and another dose the next morning from the effects of which he died.  He was a German and had been located in Springfield about three years, where he leaves a wife and six children.
~Erie Gazette


This Webpage created by Sharon Wick 2003