Other Newspapers



Source:  Daily National Intelligencer
Dated: May 8, 1833
CONNEAUT, Ohio, May 2, 1833.
Suicide. - In this township, on Tuesday morning last, Federal Blakeslee, Esq. put an end to his existence by committing suicide.  The particulars in relation to this fatal affair, so far as we have heard, are, that about 2 o'clock in the morning, he got out of bed, put on his pantaloons and vest, and proceeded to the barn, where he took a rope and made it fast to a beam, then ascended a ladder and swung himself off.  About twenty minutes after he left the house, his wife became somewhat alarmed at his absence, called up his brother, and they proceeded to search for him; and on opening the barn door, the lifeless body of the husband, and the brother, was before them.  We believe the cause which led to this fatal act, is unknown.  He was a man of correct morals, and industrious habits.  He moved from Caledonia, N. Y. last January, to Colebrook, in this county; where he remained until about two months since, when he moved his family to this place.  During his residence in this township his conduct was exemplary, and there were no indications of mental aberration.  He has left an amiable wife and three small children - Gazette.
Source:  New Hampshire Sentinel
New Hampshire
May 17, 1838

A young man named Orrin Thomas, engineer on the new steamboat Cleaveland, was instantly killed on Monday evening, just as the boat was leaving Conneaut for Detroit.  While engaged in fixing some part of the machinery, his head came in contact with one of the ponderous cranks, by which it was crushed to pieces.  His age was only 18 years.

Source: Ashtabula Weekly Telegraph
Dated: Mar. 27, 1850

     (Death of Capt. John Edmonds - We learned that Capt. Edmonds, master of the steamer Southern died at Buffalo on Sun. morning, Capt. E. was a resident of Monroe.  We understand his disease was cholera morbus, strongly resembling the cholera of last season.

Source: Ashtabula Weekly Telegraph
Dated: April 10, 1850

At Conneaut, on the 2d. inst. of consumption, Capt. J. L. Wood, aged 35.

Source: Ashtabula Weekly Telegraph
Dated: May 14, 1850

DIED: In Bristol, Vt. Mar. 24th, of Lung Fever, Capt. David Kellogg, a resident of Monroe, in this county aged 84 yrs.

Source: Ashtabula Weekly Telegraph
Dated: May 21, 1850

In Monroe, on the 15th inst. Mrs. Anna Kellogg, wife of Martin Kellogg, Esq. in 71st year of her age.

Source: Ashtabula Weekly Telegraph
Dated: May 28, 1850

DIED:  In Williamsfield, N. Y. on the 20th inst. Leonard STEVER, aged 91 yrs. father of J. G. STEVER of this place, a soldier of the Revolution.

Source:  Milwaukee Sentinel and Gazette
Aug. 13,  1850

CONNEAUT, OHIO - By the recent census, it appears that the population of this town is 2813.  Increase 300 since 1840.

Source: The Geneva Times
Dated: Feb. 8, 1877

     In Conneaut, Jan. 30, 1877, Earnest, only son of Isaac and Hanna M. Van Gorder, aged 9 yrs.

Source: Ashtabula News
Dated: Mar. 7, 1877
  Samuel R. Ransom of Amboy & Miss Addie D. Allen in Conneaut, 27th ult., by Rev. O. T. Wyman.
  Alvin M. Eaton
to Miss Eva A. Mallory, both of Monroe, in Monroe 22nd ult. By Rev. O. T. Wyman
  George C. Bonney
of Kingsville to Miss Emma Fidler of Conneaut, in Kelloggsville 25th ult., by C. O. Willey, J.P.
  Cyrus C. Butt of Kingsville to Miss Annie C. Laird of Monroe, in Conneaut 21st ult. by Rev. O. T. Wyman.
(Source: Genealogy Bank - Transcribed by Sharon Wick)
Source:  Summit County Beacon - Ohio
May 12, 1880

Nathan Daugherty, an Ashtabula lad, was killed at Conneaut, by falling between car platforms.

Source:  Summit County Beacon
Oct. 14, 1885

Wife of Virgil P. Kline, Esq., became the mother of twins Sept. 28, and shortly after was attacked by peritonitis from which she died at 4 o'clock Monday morning.  The children are doing well.  The maiden name of Mrs. Kline was Cozzens.  Her home before marriage was in Conneaut.

Wife of Virgil P. Kline, Esq., became the mother of twins September 28, and shortly after was attacked by Peritonitis from which she died at 4 o'clock Monday morning.  The children are doing well.  The maiden name of Mrs. Kline was Cozzens.  Her home before marriage was in Conneaut.

Source: Sun
Dated: Apr. 20, 1891
SIX POSTAL CLERKS AND TWO ENGINEERS KILLED - A frightful wreck occurred on the Lake Shore Railroad, at Kipton, Station, about 40 miles west of Cleveland, Ohio, early Saturday evening, in which six postal clerks and two engineers were killed.  The fast mail No. 14, bound east collided with No. 21, the Toledo express, just as the latter train was about to pull on the siding to let the fast mail pass.  The fast mail was running at full speed, and the force of the collision was so great that both engines, three mail cars and one baggage car were completely wrecked.  Following is the list of the dead:
Edward Brown, engineer of No. 21, Toledo, Ohio
Charles A. Topliff, engineer of No. 14, Toledo, Ohio;
F. J. Nugent, postal clerk, Toledo Ohio;
Charles Hammil, postal clerk, Toledo, Ohio;
F. F. Clemens, postal clerk, Cleveland, Ohio;
John J. Bowerfine, postal clerk, Elyria, Ohio;
James McKinley, postal clerk, Conneaut, Ohio;
C. H. McDowell, postal clerk, Elyria, Ohio. 
Staley, fireman of No. 14, injured;
Danzig?, son of section fireman, struck by wreckage and badly hurt.
None of the passenger coaches left the track and none of the passengers received serious injuries.
Source:  Daily Inter Ocean -
June 3, 1896
Evidence of Murder is Found.
Mrs. McClellan Was Probably Beaten to Death at Conneaut, Ohio.
     Cleveland, Ohio, June 2. - Mrs. Elanor McClellan was found dead on the lake shore at Conneaut, Ohio last Sunday morning, and it is now believed that she was murdered.  Mrs. McClellan, who was about 50 years old, was formerly a school teacher at some place in New York, but had been employed as a domestic in this city for some time.  She disappeared a few days ago.  Before her body was found at Conneaut she told several persons with whom she came in contact that she had run away from Cleveland to escape her divorced husband.  She had evidently been struck on the head with some blunt instrument.  The coroner today decided that she had come to her death at the hands of an unknown person.  The police are trying to find a clew to the murderer.
Source: Duluth News - Tribune - Minnesota
Date: June 3, 1896
Cleveland, June 2 - Mrs. Eleanor McClellan
was found dead on the lake shore at Conneaut, Ohio, last Sunday morning and it is now believed she was murdered.  Mrs. McClellan who was about 50 years old, was formerly a school teacher at some place in New York but had been employed as a domestic in this city for some time.  She disappeared a few days ago.  Before her dead body was found at Conneaut she told several persons with whom she came in contact that she had run away from Cleveland to escape her divorced husband.  She had evidently been struck on the head with some blunt instrument.
Source: Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH) Page 3 -
Dated: Tuesday, Jan. 30, 1894
Death of a Conneaut Business Man.
Conneaut, Jan. 29. - (Special) Austin Jennings, an aged and highly respected citizen of this city, died today after a long sickness.  Mr. Jennings was a retail merchant, also the first vice president of the First National bank.
Source:  Grand Forks Herald
North Dakota
July 12, 1901


Conneaut, O., July 11 - Just after 10 o'clock today three cars of the east end local freight went through the Nickel Plat bridge at Springfield, PA.  The train left Conneaut only a few minutes before the accident in charge of Engineer Wm. Griffith of Buffalo and Conductor Phil A. Moore of Buffalo.  The latter was killed outright.  The bridge crew was at work on the bridge and the 11 men killed and 10 men injured are mostly working men.  A fill was being made at the bridge and about 25 workmen were about the structure.  The Conneaut wrecking train with local officials and doctors left for the scene at 11 o'clock.
     The horrible affair occurred just after passenger train NO. 3 had pulled through.  The local, after the passing of the passenger train, pushed three cars heavily laden out on the structure to unload stone for the masons working beneath on the large stone abutments.  The unloading had hardly been begun when without warning the whole structure bearing the three laden cars filled with laborers fell with an awful crash into the valley.  So sudden was the affair that only one man, a mason named George Smith, had a chance to leap in time to save himself from injury.  The list of dead include:
     Conductor Phil A. Moore, Conneaut.
     J. Zaboss, workingman, Cleveland
     George Swartz, workman, Springfield.
     Homer Beckwith, foreman, Conneaut
     Five Italians, names as yet unknown.
     Randall West, Springfield.
     The men as the train fell had all leaped as far as possible so that only two or three were buried beneath the awful mass of debris at the bottom of the ravine.  These were easily pulled out and carried to the top of the hill and placed on the lawn awaiting the arrival of medical assistance, which came promptly.  As soon as news of the accident reached Conneaut, a wrecking train and a hurriedly constructed ambulance train were dispatched to the scene.  The wounded were first attended to.  They were placed in cots and all were brought to Conneaut with the exception of the men named Randall, Beckwith and Swartz, who were taken in charge of by their parents at Conneaut.  The living were conveyed to the hospital.  The remains of the dead were transferred to the morgue to await identification.

Source:  The Worcester Spy
July 12, 1901

Men Working Below buried in debris
Cleveland, O., July 11 - Just after 10 o'clock today three cars of the east end local freight went through the Nickel Plate bridge at Springfield, Pa. 
     The train left Conneaut only a few minutes before the accident, in charge of Engineer William Griffith  of Buffalo and Conductor Phil A. Moore of Buffalo.  The latter was killed outright.  The bridge gang was at work on the bridge and the 10 men injured are mostly workmen.
     A fill was being made at the bridge and about 25 workmen were about the structure.
     The horrible affair occurred just after passenger train No. 3 had passed, pushed three cars heavily laden on to the structure to unload stone for the masons working beneath on the large stone foundations.  The work of unloading had hardly begun, when, without any warning, the whole structure bearing the laden cars, filled with laborers, fell into the valley.  So sudden was the accident that only one man, a mason named George Smith, had a chance to lean in time to save himself from death.
     The dead:
     Homer Beckwith, foreman, Conneaut
     Phil A. Moore, conductor, Conneaut
     George Swartz, laborer, North Springfield, Pa.
     John Cenos, laborer, Cleveland
     Carl Randall, West Springfield
     Five Italian laborers, names unknown.
     The injured: -
     J. J. McDermott, a brakeman, Ashtabula, jaw broken, badly bruised.
     Five Italian laborers, names unknown
     The place where the accident occurred was at Crooked Creek, directly north of East Sprinfield, Pa.
     For many years the creek has been spanned by a heavy structural steel bridge.  On May 1 the work of filling up the valley was commenced.  Down in the ravine 55 feet below, masons were at work building a large stone abutment.
     The wreck presented a terrible appearance.  The steel was wrenched and distorted into one huge mass.  The three cars containing stone were broken to bits and the railway track was obliterated in the pile.
     The cause of the wreck can be laid only to accident.  For a long time all the trains have been required to reduce their speed to four miles an hour in passing over the bridge.  The railroad men regard it as little less than miraculous that the structure withstood the strain of heavy laden passenger train No. 3, which passed over it a short time before, and then fell with three loaded cars standing upon it.
     Conductor Moore was on one of the cars while the crew of workmen was waiting underneath to level off the stone as it was dumped off.  Without a word of warning the bridge gave way.  The three cars with their heavy loads were buried into the gulley a distance of about 80 feet.
     Into the very midst of the workmen the train tumbled and many were crushed.
     Special trainsfrom Conneaut and Erie carried physicians to the scene of the accident.  The work of recovering the dead and rescuing the injured, was difficult, as they were buried under the heavy cars.  It appears from later reports from the scene of the accident that the engine did not go down with the wrecked bridge.  Only the cars heavy loaded with stone, were carried down.  It was at first reported that engineer Griffith had been killed but this now seems to have been erroneous.

Source:  Walnut Valley Times
November 27, 1903 - Vol. XXXIV, Number 45

A. O. Griggs
has word of the death of a sister at Ashtabula, Ohio. She was a daughter of Solomon and Achsah Griggs, pioneers on the Western Reserve.  She belonged to the old folks who lived the good simple lives now rapidly becoming only a memory. She was an earnest Christian, a Methodist and she lived her faith from girlhood to the day of her death.
Source: Anaconda Standard - Montana
Dated: Aug. 14, 1905
Which of one of the engineers said to be ___ and this may have caused the wreck - Engine and three cars of passenger scoot over freight and tops and sides of coaches cave in like paper boxes, planting occupants down.  Long list of badly injured.
     Cleveland, Aug. 13 - A fast eastbound passenger train on the Nickel Plate road collided with a westbound, freight train early to-day at Kishman, Ohio, near Vermillion, resulting in the death of 12 persons, while at least 25 others were injured.  8 of whom probably will die.  The wrreck, according to the officials of the company, was caused by a misunderstanding of orders, or neglect to obey them, on the part of the crew of the freight train.
     CHARLES W. POOLE, engineer of passenger train, Conneaut, Ohio.
     JOSEPH ALEXANDER, Newark, N. J.
     FRANK WEAVER, Findlay, Oiho
     Nine Italian laborers
     The injured include the following:
     John W. Long, Cleveland
     Richard A. Long, son of J. W. Long;
     Mrs. John W. Long
     Louis Rheinbold,
Bascom, Ohio;
     E. E. O'hara, Findlay, Ohio
     B. L. Kerr, Grafton, Ohio
     John W. Murphy, West Haven, Conn.;
     Philip Baskima, Tiffin, Ohio;
     Floyd Trumer, Ada, Ohio;
     John  Dedtout, Tiffin, Ohio;
     Frank Phillips, Findlay, Ohio
     Aside from the engineer, the men killed on the passenger train were all riding in the smoking car and were mostly foreign laborers in the employ of the Standard Oil company on their way from Fort Seneca, Ohio, to Brookfield, Ohio, in charge of a foreman.  Engineer C. W. Poole of the passenger train was killed while trying to reach for the air brake.  His fireman saved himself by jumping.
Terrific Impact.
  The high speed of the passenger train threw its locomotive and first three coaches over on the engine of the freight train, telescoping the smoker and the car following.  Several cars of the freight train were splintered to fragments.
     Of the passengers in the smoker none escaped injury.  Fortunately there was no fire, but the heavy timbers of the wrecked cars pinned down many and prevented them getting out until assistance arrived.  Doctors were sent on a special train to the scene of the accident from Loraine.  The injured were hurried to Loraine and placed in the hospital.  The dead were conveyed to the morgue at Loraine.
Passengers dozing.
     When the trains came together, almost everybody in the smoker was dozing.  The sudden jar hurled them out of their seats into the aisle and threw several persons to the roof, and the roof and sides of the car seemed all at once to crush in like a paper bag, pinning down the passengers.  The passengers in the second care were more fortunate.  There the violence of the impact was not so severe, though few got off without cuts, bruises, sprains or broken bones.  No passengers in the sleepers were injured. 
     The men on the train who escaped injury worked hard to rescue the victims and were aided by residents from the vicinity of the wreck.  Some of the injured were laced in the sleeping cars, while others were removed to houses near the scene.
Engineer's Watch Slow.
     President Caniff
of the Nickel Plate to-day stated that from the information in the hands of the officials the freight crew had orders to go on the siding at Kishman and there await the passage of the passenger train.   Why this was not done in time to permit the passenger train to go by or a flagman sent out has not yet been learned.  A rigid investigation is being made by the railroad officials.  It is stated that the watch of the engineer of the freight train was slow and that the engineer believed that he had eight minutes to get from the station to the siding before the passenger train was due.  The freight train had slackened speed and was about to back in on the siding from the main track when the passenger train came tearing along at the rate of 45 miles an hour and dashed into it.
Source:  Wilkes-Barre Times
Sept. 30, 1907

Washed ashore at Conneaut Harbor after Lapse of Ten Weeks.
GREENVILLE, Pa., Sept. 30. - After having been in the water for over ten weeks, the body of Chambers Tunnison, of this city, who jumped overboard from the Lake Erie Steamer St. Ignace in mid-lake between Cleveland and Detroit on the night of July 16, was washed ashore at the Conneaut harbor today.  Tunnison left his family without giving any inkling of his intention.  He was reported to have leaped from the steamer when his cap was found on the water.

Source: Saginaw News (Saginaw, MI) Page 11
Dated: Friday, May 18, 1906
The funeral of Mrs. Rachel Bartlett Will Be Held Sunday, Afternoon at 3:30 o'clock.
     The funeral of Mrs. Rachel Bartlett will be held Sunday afternoon at 3:30 o'clock from the home of her daughter, Mrs. H. J. Speer, 513 Sheridan avenue.  Services will be conducted by Rev. F. S. Bernauer of the First Baptist church and interment will be in Forest Lawn.  Mrs. Bartlett died at the home of her daughter Wednesday evening of old age.
     Rachel Cary was born near Rochester, N. Y., Mar. 1, 1819, and, at the age of 20, moved with her parents to Conneaut, Ohio.  Later she was married to Chas. H. McOmber, a man of influential in the starting of the steel industry in Pennsylvania.  In 1850 Mr. McOmber's family settled in teh Saginaw valley, then a wilderness.  Mr. McOmber died shortly after arriving in Michgan and left his wife with five children, Mrs. Frank Mayhew, Mrs. H. H. Speer and Charles H. McOmber, of Saginaw, Alonzo, who was killed in the civil war, and Delos, who died in Kansas in '63.  Later Mrs. McOmber was married to Sylvanus Bartlett of New York and until 1871, lived at Bridgeport.  In that year the famly moved to Arenac where they lived until Mr. Bartlett died in 1885, Mrs. Bartlett then came to Saginaw with her son, Frank Bartlett, and has lived in this city ever since.
Source:  State
South Carolina
July 25, 1907

Killed by Falling Timbers.
     Conneaut, O., July 24 - Two men were killed and five seriously injured by the falling of scaffolding upon some work at the Pittsburg and Conneaut dock today.
     The dead are:  A. Matson and B. Huick  of Cleveland, constructural iron workers.

Source:  Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH) Page 7 -
Dated:  Monday, Apr. 12, 1909
Former Ohioan Who Made Name in Chicago Closes Long Life.
CHICAGO, April 11. - J. Russell Jones, United States minister to Belgium from 1869 to 1875, died of acute bronchitis at his home here today.
     Mr. Jones was born in Conneaut, O. in 1823.  He came to Chicago at the beginning of the civil war.  After serving in Belgium he was made collector of the port in Chicago.
     He was a director of the Illinois Trust & Savings Bank and of the Chicago Telephone Co.
Source:  Duluth News - Tribune - Minnesota
Dated: Dec. 12, 1909
CONNEAUT, Ohio, Dec. 11 - Preparations for a public funeral in remembrance of the crew of the Marquette & Bessemer car ferry No. 2, believed to have turned turtle in Lake Erie, were begun tonight by the people of the town of Conneaut.  The boat left here Tuesday morning.
     Frank S. STONE, 23 years old, second mate, the youngest on the lakes, is mourned by his aged parents. William Ray, coal passer, was on his first trip.  Others among the men of family are:  Eugene Wood, Chief engineer, wife and two children; Edward Butler, wife and one child; George R. Smith, wife and two children; R. C. Smith, wife and baby; William Steel, mother and sister.
Source:  Atorning Oregonian
Dec. 13, 1909

Suite of Clothes Found in Bow Indicates Tragedy That Can Be Only Guessed - Single Overcoat All-Insufficient.

ERIE, Pa.  Dec. 12 - With her flag at half-mast the state fisheries boat, Commodore Perry, Captain Gerry Driscoll, commanding, brought to this port late today the dead bodies of nine of the crew of the Bessemer & Marquette ferry No. 2, which left Conneaut, Ohio, Tuesday morning carrying 32 men.  The ferry has probably foundered in the middle of Lake Erie.
     For 48 hours the Commodore Perry has been scouring Lake Erie for traces of the car ferry, but, until the tiny yawl was sighted 15 miles off this port at 11 o'clock today, the men in the little state fisheries craft had almost given up hope of being able ever to hear even a portion of the story of the fate of the big car ferry.

As the Perry came abreast of the drifting and half-water-logged yawl the men on the fishboat saw that they had arrived too late.  The nine occupants of the boat, which was marked "Bessemer & Marquette NO. 4," were frozen stiff.  Taking the yawl in tow, the Perry made all team for this port.
     News of the finding of the bodies had reached the city and thousands of persons swarmed the wharves.  As soon as the fishboat made fast a force of men with tackle set to work raising the bodies to the dock. 
     Conneaut, Ohio, where all but one of the dead men had lived, was notified and relatives and friends came to this city.  They were taken directly to the morgue, where the men were identified as follows:  Thomas, second cook, Port Stanley; William Ray; J. W. Sours, waiter; G. R. Smith, steward; J. Hart, oiler and Charles Allen.
All except Thomas lived in Conneaut.

One Overcoat Among Nine.
     The cook of the car ferry was the only man to wear an overcoat.  The others were dressed in overalls and jumpers, indicating that departure from the car ferry had been hurried.  In the bow of the boat was found complete clothing for one man, and it is believed that the yawl originally contained ten men, and that one became crazed, discarded his clothing and jumped into the lake.
     Albert J. Weis, of this city, treasurer of the Keystone Fish Company and the Bay State Iron Works, was a passenger on the ferry.  His relatives and friends had not given up hope until the yawl containing the nine men was towed into port.  His body has not yet been found.
     Officers of the car ferry company gave up all hope Saturday, and since Thursday every available tug has been searching the lake for news of the wrecked craft.

Believed Lost Last Tuesday
     The ferry was of steel with a capacity of 34 loaded cars.  Last Tuesday morning, with 32 cars of coal aboard and carrying 32 persons, including passengers and crew, she left Conneaut.
     In the terrific storm that followed, in which at least 52 lives were lost on the lakes, the ferry foundered.  It is supposed that the tossing of the ferry in the sea troughs displaced the coal cars and that they pitched through the sides, admitting water to the hold.  It is supposed the vessel went down about Tuesday noon, sinking midway between Conneaut and Port Stanley.

Source:  Plain Dealer, Cleveland, OH - Issue: 159  Page: 2
Dated:  Jun. 7, 1912
Conneaut Police Hurry Out of Town Man Accused of Killing Employer
Shooting of Wealthy Lumber Dealer Inflames People.
CONNEAUT - O., June 6. - While a mob clamored around the jail in which cowered Jesse Sharp, a carpenter, accused of the murder here this afternoon of Fred E. Brydle lumber dealer, the police slipped up to the rear of the building in an auto and hurried the prisoner to the county jail at Jefferson to save him from threats of lynching.  Tonight the townspeople still are in an inflamed mood, but the object of their wrath is safely quartered within the stone walls of the county institution.
     Brydle, who was vice president of the Conneaut Lumber Co. and one of the town's wealthiest business men, was shot through the body just above the heart following an altercation at the lumber yard early this afternoon.  He died almost immediately.  According to statements of workmen, Sharp and Brydle had had words over business affairs during the morning and they say the quarrel was renewed in the afternoon.
     The police say that Sharp obtained $3 from the grocery store proprietor while he was on his way home at noon and with the money purchased a revolver and a supply of cartridges in a hardware store, saying that he intended to shoot rats.  About 1 o'clock after Sharp returned to work, employees say he engaged in an argument with Brydle as they walked down an alleyway in the lumber plant.  A shot was heard and Brydle staggered toward a workman, exclaiming "I'm shot."
     After the shooting Sharp left the lumber yard and the police found him at his home changing his clothes.  He said he was preparing to go to the station and give himself up.
     A crow gathered about the building and threats of lynching were heard, so Chief of Police Randall decided to hurry Sharp to Jefferson for safety.  Before the trip Sharp was given a preliminary hearing and pleaded not guilty to first degree murder, claiming self-defense.
     While en route to Jefferson the police say Sharp gave this version of the shooting:
     "Brydle has always had it in for me, and has found fault if I would quit when the whistle blew.  When the whistle blew this noon I got off my wagon and started home.  Brydle started to abuse me.  After the argument I went to dinner.  When I came back I went into the office to tell Brydle how to straighten out some lumber before going to work.  Brydle said I could not tell him anything.  I went out and he followed.  I told him not to follow and pulled my gun.  Brydle kept coming with his fists doubled up.  He threatened to fix me.  Then I shot."
     Brydle leaves a widow and two children, besides an aged mother, who collapsed at the news of her son's death and is reported to be in serious condition.
Source:  Duluth News-Tribune - Minnesota
Dated: June 7, 1912
Conneaut Lumberman Killed by an Employe
CONNEAUT, Ohio, June 6 - F. _. Brydle was shot and killed today at the yards of the Pond Lumber company of which he was vice president by Jesse Sharp was as rested and hustled away in an automobile to Jefferson to avoid to possible lynching.
     Sharp was an employe of the yards.  The cause of the shooting is not known.
     Brydle was wealthy and prominennt hear.
Source:  Olympia Daily Recorder
Oct. 27, 1913

Report comes from Conneaut, Ohio, of the sudden death of a woman at the age of 105, who had never been sick a day in her life.  The report is lacking in failing to state whether she had been a user of tobacco or not.

Source:  Erie Times - News, Erie, PA - Page 14
Dated: Thrusday, Mar. 25, 1915
     Amos Curtnee, a veteran of the Civil war, died at his home on the State Line, Mar. 22, aged 78 years.  The funeral was held Mar. 24.
     Lewis Shores, another veteran of the Civil war, died in Pierpont, O., Mar. 19, aged 80 years.  Funeral was held Sunday, Mar. 21.
     William Johnson, a veteran of the Civil war, died at this place Mar. 18, aged 75 years.
     Sugar making is in full blast.
     J. Munger, a veteran of the Civil war, is very sick.
Source:  The New York Times
Dated: Feb. 10, 1917
Twelve Others in Ohio Regiment at El Paso Are Injured.
EL PASO, Texas, Feb. 9 - Private Charles Eaton of Company L, Fifth Ohio Infantry, and Sergeant Karl Eisenhart of Company K, Fifth Ohio Infantry, were killed late today when the Golden State Limited on the Rock Island Railroad from Chicago struck a motor truck in which they were riding downtown from Camp Pershing.  Private Eaton was from Conneaut, Ohio, and Sergeant Eisenhart from Cleveland.
     The dangerously injured were:  Private A. J. Roehl, Company K, right ear almost torn off, scalp wounds on right side of his head, and severely bruised; Private Daniel F. Toomey, Company L, scalp wound and body bruises; Private Rudolph J. Schmidt, Company K, scalp wound and wrenched back.
Source: Republic News - Rockford, Illinois
Dated: Oct. 24, 1917
     Conneaut, Ohio, Oct. 24. - Jealousy was today given as the cause of the murder and suicide last night of Mrs. Rose Foote, 27, and Milton G. Shipley, 24, of Avery, Ohio.  Shipley shot and killed Mrs. Foote and then turned the gun on himself.
     With Mrs. Foote at the time were her two little daughters and Morris Fernandez, of Erie, Pa.  They were waiting for a train to take them to Mrs. Foote's mother at Pont, Pa.
Source: Saginaw News - Michigan
Dated: Oct. 24, 1917
Conneaut, O., Oct. 24 - Mrs. Rose Foote, 27, was shot and instantly killed in a Bessemer & Lake Erie train here Tuesday night by Milton G. Shipley, 24, of Avery, O., who shot himself to death afterward.
     Mrs. Foote, a divorcee, was leaving Conneaut with Morris Fernandez, 26, of Erie, Pa., and her two daughters, Irene, 10, and Erna, 9.
     Shipley was jealous of Fernandez, who was accompanying Mrs. Foote to the home of her mother, Mrs. Chas. Shellito at Pont, Pa., 12 miles south of here.
Source: Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH) Page 4 -
Dated: Thursday July 4, 1918
     CONNEAUT, July 3, - Art Arhberg 42, died of injuries suffered when he was crushed between a railroad car and an ore machine in the docks here yesterday.
Source: Miami Herald Record - Florida
Dated: Sept. 29, 1918
Killed, Wounded and Missing
(Among others):
     Norman H. Veith, Conneaut, Ohio
Source: Albuquerque, NM - Vol: CLXX - Issue: 65 - Page: 3
Dated:  Sep. 3, 1921
     Walter E. Hatch
died at 7:45 o'clock last night at his home, 920 West Gold avenue, following a severe illness contracted during a recent visit to his former home in Conneaut, Ohio.  He had returned from there last Monday critically ill and was not able to rally.
     Mr. Hatch was born in Conneaut, Ohio, July 21, 1890.  He was a merchant in Conneaut prior to his coming to New Mexico for his health four years ago.  He had recovered here and returned with his family to Conneaut last June to spend the summer.
     Three weeks ago he became ill with bronchial pneumonia, from which recovery was never possible.  In the hope that the climate here might again help, he was brought to Albuquerque, arriving Monday.  He grew steadily worse, death coming last evening.
     Mr. Hatch was a member of the Elks lodge and of all Masonic bodies, belonging to the consistory and commandery at Cleveland and to the shrine in Albuquerque.
     He is survived by his father, T. R. Hatch of Conneaut, Ohio, and by his wife and a 6-year old daughter, Miss Marjorie Hatch.
The body will be shipped east today by Strong Brothers and will be accompanied by Mrs. Hatch and Miss Marjorie.  Funeral services will be held in Conneaut, where interment will be made.
Source:  Plain Dealer - Cleveland, OH
Dated: May 20, 1931

Conneaut Woman Killed; Boy, 14, Hurt in Collision.
(Plain Dealer Special)
     CONNEAUT, O., May 19. - A woman was dead and a boy was in Brown Memorial here tonight, after two automobile accidents today.
     Mrs. Fred Erb, 76, was fatally injured when struck by an automobile in front of her home.  Mrs. Erb stepped from the curb and walked into the moving car, according to police who did not hold the driver.
Source:  Plain Dealer - Cleveland, OH
Dated: June 10, 1931
SIMONSEdwin A., age 13, died at his home in Conneaut, Monday.  Graveside service.  Brooklyn Heights Cemetery, Wednesday, 3 p.m.
Source: Plain Dealer (Cleveland, OH) Page 16
Dated: Thursday, Oct. 27, 1921
     CONNEAUT, O. - Oct. 26 - John Gourley, 69, track foreman here for the Bessemer & Lake Erie railroad, during the last twenty-five years, died twenty minutes after being struck on the head today by a bundle of ties that slipped from the cable of a crane.
Source:  Dallas Morning News
January 2, 1933

Golf Pro Killed.
CONNEAUT, Ohio, Jan. 1 (AP)
Douglas Orn, 25, golf professional at the Lake Shore Club at Ashtabula, was killed Sunday when the car in which he was a passenger collided with a truck driven by Leo Baltus of Howell, Mich.

Source:  Plain Dealer - Cleveland, OH
Dated: June 11, 1933
     CONNEAUT, O. - Announcement was made Tuesday of the wedding of Miss Charlotte Barr of Conneaut and Mr. George W. Gusler.  Miss Barr is a graduate of Conneaut High School and Ohio Wesleyan University.  Mr. Gusler is in the College of Business Administration at Ohio State University.

     Miss Rozelle Zimmerman of Erie became the bride of Mr. Ira Edward Smith, son of Mr. and Mrs. J. E. Smith of Conneaut, Wednesday in a ceremony at St. Mary's Church here.

Source:  Plain Dealer - Cleveland, Ohio
Dated: Dec. 3, 1935
Bury Conneaut Principal Today.
CONNEAUT, O., Dec. 2. - Funeral services will be held at 3 p.m. tomorrow for Edith Atwater, 60, principal of W. Maine Street School and the oldest teacher in Conneaut schools, who died Saturday.
Source:  Dallas Morning News
Mar. 28, 1953

List of Fatalities Expected to Grow.
     CONNEAUT, Ohio, March 28 (Saturday) (UP) - Two new York Central passenger trains and a freight train piled up in a three-way collision Friday night, and Ohio State Police counted twelve dead and at least twenty injured.
     The wreck occurred about 10:30 p.m. Ohio time, when a load of heave steel casings slipped off a westbound freight into the path of the "Southwest Limited," speeding from St. Louis, Mo. to New York.
     Sgt. John Gosling of the Ohio State Patrol said the 30-foot casings derailed both the freight and the "Limited," one of the fastest passenger trains on its line.
     The "Chicago Special," on route from Buffalo, N.Y., to Chicago, Ill., then smashed into the wreckage, Gosling said.
     The three trains piled up about two and a half miles east of here, scattering wrecked care near the Ohio-Pennsylvania border.
     The NYC office in Cleveland, Ohio, was sending a relief train of nine cars loaded with a Red Cross disaster unit carrying plasma.
     The NYC said a 15-ambulance caravan was on route from Erie, Pa.
     The accident happened on what is known as "State Line Curve" near the border between Ohio and Pennsylvania.  The wreck was a quarter mile from the nearest road and the injured had to be carried out to ambulances waiting on the road.
     It's raining like hell out there," a NYC spokesman said.
     Train No. 5 was made up of eleven cars and the NYC said all but the last car was derailed.  The Southwest Limited was made up of twelve cars and the first nine were derailed.
     The spokesman said it was "believed" that only the engines tipped over.
     All four tracks of the NYC were blocked and the road was rerouting other trains on Nickel Plate trackage nearby.
     Hospitals throughout the area were alerted for a "large number" of casualties.  Extra doctors were called in.  An emergency relief train was reported to have left Erie for the scene.
     Police said the number of fatalities possibly would rise as workers at the scene searched through the wreckage.
     Conneaut Police Chief J. A. Pounds said "A good many persons have been injured" in the wreck.  Railroad cars were scattered all along the border.
     The New York Central said an estimated 127 persons were aboard the Southwest Limited when it left St. Louis.
     Dr. George Stoney, at Hamot Hospital in Erie, said he heard reports from "railroadmen" not at the scene that the fatalities were estimated at from twelve to twenty-two."
     The wreck occurred just along U. S. Highway 20, the main artery between Columbus, Ohio and Buffalo.  The only access to the scene was a dirt road leading one mile from the highway.
     Some fifteen to twenty ambulances were reported at the scene, along with twelve police cars, including all of Ashtabula County's auxiliary unites, plus sheriff's cars and Pennsylvania patrolmen.
     The injured were being taken to the Ashtabula General hospital, to Brown Hospital at Conneaut and to the Hamot Hospital at Erie.
     Because of road conditions it was difficult for ambulances to reach the scene and they took a long time brining out the injured to hospitals.
     Stoney said he understood there were plenty of doctors available at the scene.

Source:  Morning Star - Rockford, Illinois
Dated Feb. 11, 1978
ORANGEVILLE - Patricia Baldwin, no age available, was killed in an auto accident Thursday in Conneaut, Ohio.  Services in Conneaut.
NOTE:  Patricia Baldwin can be found buried here:  http://www.conneautohio.us/glenwoodcemindex_b.htm  She was approx. 35 yrs of age.



Conneaut, Ohio

This webpage was created by Sharon Wick, 2004