|CONNEAUT, OHIO HISTORY & GENEALOGY|
|Found in the possession of George Potter
family upon his death:
At Township Park Saturday
A nostalgic air will permeate Conneaut Township Park Saturday as members of Ye Olde Schoole Association gather for their 27th reunion.
The group is made of of teachers and graduates or former students of Lake View, Old North Conneaut, Tubbs, and Blood schools which date back to 1868.
The association was organized Sept. 22, 1937, at Whipple's Store which, at that time, occupied the north west corner of Clark and Benjamin Sts. All succeeding reunions have been held at Township Park.
Christy Kraus and Bessie Grant both deceased, have been credited with founding the group. Mr. Kraus was first president and Miss Grant was the first secretary treasurer.
Built in 1868
The first of these schools was built in 1868 on the north side of Lake Rd. at the end of Whitney Rd. in what was then Conneaut Township. The location is verified in an 1874 Atlas of Ashtabula County published by Titus, Simons and Titus.
A. T. Tubbs, 1028 Lake Rd., remembers the school. His home is build on the site of it, he told The News-Herald Thursday morning. Mr. Tubbs' grandfather first gave the property for the school and it was known as Tubbs School.
First directors were Gaylord Millard, Frank P. Blood, Josiah G. Grant, Theodore Tubbs, V. J. Craytor, and Charles Grant.
In 1882, the building was replaced by a larger one - room school house and became known as Blood School.
Stories of how the boys used to slip over the bank for a swim on their noon recess have drifted down to the present generation.
Site of old North Conneaut school, successor to the Blood School was purchased from J. D. Cummins on Feb. 7, 1893. Known as District School No. 6, it was located at the southwest corner of Parker and Clinton Sts.
The Blood school was dismantled and the main portion moved farther west on the Lake Rd. to be remodeled into a fine home which today bears no resemblance to a school house.
Part of House
A section to the north of the school which was used as a wood shed became a part of a house on Grant Rd., Mr. Tubbs reported.
Directors of District School No. 6, until it was taken into the city system in 1920 were James Roberts, M. L. Loomis, Lorren Hubbard, C. B. Willoughby and Andrew Woodbury.
Miss Grant who became a teacher and principal as well as student presented Ye Olde School Association with a picture of the old frame building photographed about 1924 or 1925. On the back she penned a brief history.
This old frame building located between Parker St. and Chadman St., backing up to Chadman St., north side toward Clinton Ave., was built in two different times. The east side toward Clinton Ave., was built in two different times. The east end two rooms and an entrance, cloak room and stairway to two upper rooms was built 1896; later the west end and middle stairway was built in 1902.
"Teachers and pupils tore out partition on second floor between upper room an upper entrance in east end, making a stage in the east end. This was done about 1908 or 1910. The new building on Lake View Ave., was built in 1928 and then used and the frame building was torn down.
The trees now standing around the corner surrounded the old frame building. Builders of the new home occupying the site experienced some difficulty with the foundation of the old school, it has been reported.
Highlight of the 1944 reunion, the eighth, was Miss Grant's dedication and presentation of a flag to the Association in honor of those then in service. The flag had been handed down to her by a Civil War veteran.
In 1949 an antique black walnut teacher's desk dating back to 1868 to the Lake Rd. School was presented to the library of Lake View School in recognition of Miss Grant who had retired in 1946.
Miss Grant began her teaching career in September, 1902, at the North Conneaut frame building.
She devoted 44 years to teaching , of which 32 were in the North Conneaut area.
A silver plaque inscribed "Ye Olde School - 1868" accompanied the desk.
In 1850, tribute was paid to the memory of Christy Kraus, co-organizer of the association. It was he who suggested the idea of a yearly gathering of all pupils and teachers that had served the "Oklahoma," (name of the North Conneaut sector years ago) and Lake Rd. area since 1867.
In the memorium, Miss Grant likened his death to the loss of the hub of a wheel. A white plastic wheel was used for the memorial plaque with the hub being covered with flowers in memory of Mr. Kraus. Floral sprays were arranged as spokes in memory of others who had died since the previous reunion.
A memento to the days spent in Old North Conneaut school was also dedicated at the 1950 reunion.
The poem "My Old School Days," was composed by Jean C. Collins one nostalgic rainy day in his office as head clerk in Department of Maintenance for Chevrolet General Motors, Detroit, Mich.
In his composition Mr. Collins spoke of his school days, "Far from paved highways and streets, electric lights and city water. He remembered apple orchards and chestnut trees - winding creeks. "Thru icy fields to school we'd go, sleigh bells we'd hear with a gallop beat, A ride we'd catch was a wonderful treat."
The apple orchards he remembered were on the Ralph Blood farm, Whitney Rd., and Russell's orchard on Lake View Ave. The chestnut grove was located on the Cyrus Grant farm which is now the Conneaut Country Club. The trees were killed by chestnut canker more than 30 years ago.
Memorial service for Miss Grant, who had for many years conducted poetic and stirring memorials for others, came in 1955. Her brother, Mary Fred G. Grant offered the memorial prayer.
This webpage was created by Sharon Wick for Conneaut History & genealogy. 2006