another one of the worthy citizens of Conneaut, who is employed as conductor
on the Nickel Plate Railroad, was born in Erie county, Pennsylvania, May 26,
1867, son of Elijah and Mary E. (McGuire) Moore.
Moore was born in Pennsylvania, and was twice married - first, June 4, 1845,
to Mary E. McGuire, and, September 18, 1885, to Mrs. Julia (Mills) Barnum.
The latter is still an honored resident of Conneaut. During the war
Mr. Moore rendered efficient service in Company A, One Hundred and
Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, enlisting August 21, 1862, and
being honorably discharged May 31, 1865. He was in the Army of the
Potomac and was corporal of his company. He came to Conneaut from
Girard, Pennsylvania, in 1872, and resided here until the time of his death,
October 31, 1892. He was a teamster, worked for the Conneaut Paper
Mill Company for a number of years, and by all who ever knew him was
regarded as an honorable and upright man. His first wife died May 13,
1884, at the age of sixty years. Their four children were as follows:
Jennie, a resident of Erie, Pennsylvania, was married Feb. 3, 1869, to
Joseph Hamilton, and has six children, Ella, Nelson, Willie, Martha, Eddie
and Viola; Desda, of Sandusky, Ohio, was married Feb. 11, 1872, to Orlando
J. Orcott, and has five children, Alice, Lloyd, Mary, Samuel and Joseph;
George, of Cleveland, Ohio, was married November 25, 1887, to Margaret
Stevens; and Phillip, the subject of our sketch.
Moore started out in life as a clerk, and after clerking for awhile, he kept
a feed store. Then he turned his attention to railroading and has been
in railroad employ ever since. He began as brakeman on the Nickel
Plate in 1884, and in 1887, at the age of twenty, was promoted to the
position of conductor. He has been a conductor ever since, and in what
employ of the same company, his efficient service making him a valued
Mr. Moore is a member of the Uniformed Rank, K.
of P., No. 114, and Maple lodge, No. 217, K. of P., Conneaut; also of the
Nickel Plate Division, No. 145, Order Railroad Conductors. He is a
In concluding this sketch, we relate the story
connected with the life of Mr. Moore's mother, which, indeed, reminds us of
the old saying that truth is often stranger than fiction.
Mary E. McGuire was born on board a clipper ship, sailing
under American colors, in the waters of the Mediterranean sea, her father
being captain of the vessel. Captain Daniel McGuire and his wife were
drowned off the coast of Maine. He was in the American marine and was
just returning from Japan after an absence of three years. His wife
and little daughter were with him, the former, a consumptive, being in a
dying condition. The vessel had seventy-five cabin passengers, besides
a crew of twenty-five persons. During his absence the channel had been
changed. The night was dark, a storm was approaching, his wife was
thought to be dying, and he was anxious to get to land. In this
troubled and excited condition he had neglected to give the signal for a
pilot. This oversight caused the vessel to run against the breakers
and she was torn to pieces. The captain tied his daughter to some
rigging, tossed her into the sea, and jumped in after her. The dying
wife and mother sank to rise no more, as also did the crew and cabin
passengers. Mary and her father were picked up the third day.
She was unhurt, but he, having been struck by timbers, was injured fatally
and lived only a short time after they were brought to shore. This
occurred in 1836, when Mary E. was ten years of age. She was adopted
by Rev. R. A. Sheldon, an Episcopal clergyman, and his wife, and was reared
by them. Her father married her mother very much against the will of
the latter's parents. The young couple eloped. This so incensed
the parents that they disowned her. The parents were immensely
wealthy, and if the certificate or proof of Captain McGuire's marriage to
their daughter could be produced, the descendants of Mary E. would be heir
to an independent fortune.
After the little orphan had
lived for some years at the home of Rev. Sheldon, he and his wife took her
with them to England, and while there, they visited her grandparents.
The clergyman introduced their granddaughter to them and told them of the
sad death of her parents. The grandmother, who still had a mother's
love for her erring and lost daughter, suggested to her husband that they
adopt the child as their own. After considering the matter, he
replied: "No! she looks like her father; I can't consent to it."
Those who knew the old gentleman were well aware that when he said "No" he
meant it with all the impetuosity of his English nature. She returned
to America with the clergyman and wife, who gave her a happy home while she
remained with them.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in
Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)
pastor of the Congregational Church of Conneaut, Ohio, was born in
Logansport, Indiana, Oct. 1, 1850, a son of Rev. Martin M. and Eliza M.
(Breed) Post, the former a native of Vermont, and the latter of New
Hampshire. The father attended the Andover Theological Seminary, was
one of the founders of the Wabash (Indiana) College, was one of its
Trustees, and was a minister in the Presbyterian Church from 1829 to 1876.
He was an exceedingly fine linguist, could read the Hebrew bible as an
English text; so could examine any candidate for ordination in the
Presbyterian ministry in the original tongue. During his long
pastorate he was offered professorships in several of the leading colleges
of the West, was offered the presidency of an Eastern institution, also the
editorship of the Herald and Presbytery, when it was yet known as the
Herald. Dr. Post was regarded as a man of the finest literary
attainments of the Central West. He was an intimate friend of Henry
Ward Beecher, the latter being a frequent visitor at his home, and also
filling his pulpit many nights in succession. Beecher wrote of him in
the Christian Union: "He was a man of essentially fine fibre, finely
cultivated, of gentle heart heroism, in which patience, fidelity, suffering,
labor and poverty were made beautiful. In these gems he was rich.
Here in his only parish, Rev. Post lived and died, although he still lives
in the hearts of all who ever knew him." He was born December 3, 1805,
and died October 11, 1876. His wife, born in 1817, died in March,
1884. She was a member of the first-class to graduate at Mt. Holyoke
Seminary, taught in the Granville (Ohio) Female Seminary until her marriage,
and was a very active woman, not only taking care of the affairs of her own
household, but looked well into the charities of the town. She was a
member of the Presbyterian Church, and was president of both the Orphans'
Home at Logansport and the Ladies' Aid Society. The poor she had with
her at all times. Dr. and Mrs. Post had seven children, of whom our
subject was the sixth in order of birth. Lucy, the youngest
daughter, is the wife of Prof. Stanley Coulter, Professor of Biology in
Purdue University, of Indiana, and one of the leading educators of the
State. The five sons entered the ministry of the same church, two of
whom, Alfred an d Edward, are now deceased. Alfred died while pastor
of the church at Santa Clara, California, at the age of twenty-nine years.
Edmond died at St. Andrews, aged forty-one years where he had charge of a
work. The remaining children are: Martin, pastor of the
Congregational Church at Sterling, Illinois; Aurelian, a minister in the
same denomination at Tolland, Connecticut; and Mary, wife of Z. S. Ely, of
New York city. She was a fine scholar, and was offered the
principalship of Rutger College before she was twenty years of age.
Rev. R. O. Post, D. D., our subject, was educated at Wabash College,
graduating in the class of 1871. He then took a post-graduate and
theological course at Yale, in the class of 1874, after which he took charge
of his father's old church at Logansport, remaining there five years.
Dr. Post spent the following ten years in Springfield, and in May, 1891,
came to Conneaut, Ashtabula county, Ohio, where he has ever since served
acceptably in the Congregational Church. He has received the degree of
A. B. from Crewfordsville, also the honorary degrees of A. M. and B. D. from
Yale, and D. D. from the Illinois College, at Jacksonville, the oldest
college in the State. Rev. Post has lectured at Chautauqua and other
assemblies, but prefers pulpit work. He has a decided talent for
literary work, and for seven years made out the programs for the work of the
Authors' Club. In 1890 Rev. Post made a tour of the continent,
visiting Holland, Belgium, Germany, Austria, Italy, Switzerland, France,
England, Scotland and Ireland, walking over 500 miles, among the Bavarian
and Swiss Alps, and through the Lake country of the poets Wordsworth and
In November, 1876, our subject was united in
marriage to Miss Janette Morhous, a daughter of J. R. Morhous, who has been
superintendent of the Redemption Division of the United States Treasury for
the past twenty=seven years. For his singular ability in his line of
work he has been retained through all the administrations, and there has
never been a mistake of a cent in his department. His wife was Miss
Emily Hughley, a native of New York, but now deceased. Mr. and Mrs.
Post have three sons: Stanley, John and Roswell. Mrs. Post is a
member of the Congregational Church. Rev. Post was for four years
Chaplain of the Illinois Senate, for nine years was Chaplain of the Fifth
Regiment Illinois National Guard, has badges for handling the gun, and has
had the highest rank as a sharpshooter in the State of Illinois, - in short,
is an "all-around man."
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in
Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)
Todd, whose rural home is
located near North Sheffield, Ohio, was born in Kingsville, Ashtabula
county, this State, July 1, 1817.
Erastus and Susan (Morse) Todd, his parents, both natives of Connecticut,
came to Ohio in 1816 and located on a farm two miles south of Kingsville.
Erastus Todd began life a poor young man, and here on what was then the
frontier he acquired a little farm, which he improved, and there he reared
his family. His life was characterized by simplicity, honesty and
industry, and was adorned by Christian acts of kindness. For over
forty years he was a member of the Baptist Church, and few men in the
community were held in higher esteem than he. He was born in December,
1786, and died Feb. 5, 1863; his wife Susan, born August 10, 1792, died
April 3, 1833. Of their family of five children, we make the following
record: Martha, wife of Amos Gear, died October, 12, 1872, aged
sixty-one years; Mary and her husband, Jonathan L. Haines, are both
deceased, her death having occurred April 12, 1891, at the age of 76;
William Todd, whose name heads this sketch; Rev. Julius Todd, Berlin,
Wisconsin, is a minister in the Seventh-Day Baptist Church; John Todd, born
July 26, 1821, died May 15, 1864. Five years after the death of his
first wife Erastus Todd was united in marriage to Mrs. Asenath Bowman, who
survived him ten years.
William Todd has been a farmer all his life, an energetic, thrifty,
successful farmer. He came to his present location in 1850, and has
been a resident of Sheffield township since November 4, 1842. His farm
contains 86 acres, nearly all improved land, and is beautifully located,
being used for the propagation of the diversity of crops. During his
long residence here he has gained the good will and high regard of a large
circle of acquaintances. He has taken a commendable interest in public
affairs, having served for about 16 years as Township Trustee, not, however,
Mr. Todd was married May 14, 1842, to Miss Huldah Morse, a native of
Kingsville, Ohio, born Sep. 17, 1819. She is a modest, kindly-disposed
and motherly Christian woman, and highly respected as she is widely known.
Her parents were Phineas and Abigail (Luce) Morse. Her father was born
Mar. 3, 1795, and died Jul. 2, 1876. He was one of the pioneer farmers
of this part of Ohio, having come here from his native place, Litchfield,
Connecticut, about 1816, making the journey with ox teams. His farm of
160 acres, located half a mile west of the County Infirmary, is now owned by
Dick Woodburn. Few men in Ashtabula county were better known than he.
For many years he was an active member of the Baptist Church, giving
liberally to the support of the ministry. His wife, born August 15,
1798, he wedded Nov. 18, 1818. She, too, was a Baptist, being
identified with that church for a period of sixty-seven years. After
living a long and exemplary life, she fell asleep in Jesus. With her
passed away one of Kingsville's sturdy pioneers, who had energy and pluck to
leave home scenes and friends, and start afresh in a new country. She
leaves behind her, besides the members of her grief stricken family, many
friends who lovingly cherish her memory with grateful hearts.
Following are the names of their nine children: Mrs. Todd, Hiram M.,
Mary, Almira, Angeline, Almon, Laura, Alden, George W., all living except
Mr. and Mrs. Todd have had five children, viz.: Adel, who died at the
age of fourteen months; Ada; Almon, who married Ella Fascet, resides on a
farm in Sheffield township; Melzo, who married Mary Santee and lives in
Sheffield township, has three children, Otis, Carl and Tula; and Bertha, of
the same township, is the wife of Delos VanSlyke, and has two children,
Fannie and Abbie.
Our subject and his wife are members of the Baptist Church, in which he has
been a Deacon for many years. Politically, he is a Prohibitionist.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in
Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)
Huntley, a well-known business
man of Pierpont township, Ashtabula county, was born in this city, Oct. 25,
1832, a son of James Huntley, a native of Massachusetts, and a soldier in
the war of 1812. The latter's father, Amos Huntley, was also a native
of Massachusetts, and of Scotch parentage. James Huntley came to
Ashtabula county, Ohio, early in life, and was married at Denmark, this
State, to Lydia Hart, a native of Litchfield, Connecticut, and a daughter of
a Revolutionary soldier. Mr. Huntley was a farmer by occupation, a
Republican in his political relations, and a Deacon in the Presbyterian
Church. His wife came from Connecticut to Ashtabula county, on
horseback. Mr. and Mrs. Huntley had five children: William Milo
(deceased), Harriette, Phoebe Wright and D. L.
Huntley, the subject of this notice, received his education in the
Kingsville Academy, and was a successful school-teacher for a number of
years. He was engaged in trade at Pierpont for a time before the war,
and was also engaged in farming at the old home place. In his
political relations he votes with the Republican party, and has held the
positions of Justice of the Peace and Township Trustee.
1871 Mr. Huntley was united in marriage with Susan Carver, a native of
Pennsylvania. They had one daughter, Ethel E. The great loss of
our subject's life was in the death of his beloved wife, which occurred Aug.
29, 1890. She was an affectionate wife and mother, a kind neighbor,
and lived a consistent Christian life. Mr. Huntley is frank and
cordial with all whom he meets, and is one of the popular citizens of
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in
Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)
Webster, physician and
surgeon, Kingsville, Ohio, was born at this place, May 21, 1827. He
comes from an ancestry in which he may justly take pride, and he likewise
has reason to be proud of his posterity.
The first of the
Websters who came to Ohio landed in Ashtabula county in 1808, when this
county was nearly all wilderness. Among them the oldest was the great
grand-father of the Doctor, Michael Webster, who was born in Litchfield,
Connecticut, May 8, 1748, a direct descendant of John Webster, who came for
Warwickshire, England, about the year 1636, and became Governor of
Connecticut in 1856 and who was also one of the Commissioners of the United
By occupation Michael was a farmer. He served as
a soldier all through the Revolutionary war and died at Williamsfield;
Ashtabula county, at the home of his daughter, Mrs. Minerva North, February
15, 1850, lacking only two months of being 102 years old. The day he
was a hundred he walked from Jefferson to Kingsville, a distance of sixteen
miles. Elizabeth (Clark) Webster, his wife, died Oct. 15, 1842, aged
seventy-seven years. They had twelve children, two of whom, Michael
and Daniel, settled in Jefferson, Ohio, and their families now live in that
township. All the children's names were in order: Clark,
Elizabeth, Daniel, Michael, Jr., Luman, Leman, Polly, Sally, Elemuel, Fanny,
Clarissa and Minerva.
Clark, the oldest son, was born at
Litchfield, Connecticut, Dec. 3, 1774, married Naamah Hall, by whom he had
seven children, namely: Michael, Hiram H., Frances Almira, Michael W. (2d),
Ardavan and Sally. Michael (1st) died in infancy. Hiram H. was
born at Lanesborough, Massachusetts, May 17, 1800, and was married to
Corinna L. Loomis, Apr. 10, 1824. They were the parents of Corinna,
Elizur, Michael (our subject), Laura A., Ann Eliza, Clarinda L., Charles H.,
Emily F. and Henry C.
Hiram H. came with his parents to
Ashtabula county, where he received his preliminary education, subsequently
supplementing the same with a course at the grammar school at Conneaut.
He began the study of medicine at Kelloggsville, Ohio in the office of Dr.
Vosburgh, completing his studies under the perceptorship of Dr. Coleman, of
Ashtabula, in 1824. After passing a rigid examination before the State
Medical Board, he was admitted to practice and opened an office at
Kingsville. He was appointed Justice of the Peace July 8, 1839, by
Governor Wilson Shannon. He was a member of the "underground railway"
association and assisted to freedom many a poor fugitive from the slavery
states. He was a charter member of Orion Lodge, F. & A. M., a member
of the Disciples' Church, and a strong believer in its doctrines. He
died at Kingsville, Feb. 19, 1888, his wife having entered into eternal rest
May 29, 1870.
When Dr. Hiram H. Webster was five years of
age his parents moved to Franklin, Delaware county, New York. After
two years passed at this point, his father made a trip to "New Connecticut,"
as the Western Reserved was then called, and without making a purchase of
land put in a piece of wheat on the Ashtabula flats. This land was
owned by Matthew Hubbard. Returning to Franklin for his family, he
soon started for Ohio, calculating to reach Buffalo on runners. At
Skaneateles he found two families named Pratt and Bartlett, also en route
for the "promised land," and in company with them proceeded onward, and in
due time arrived at Black Rock, where they found a large open boat, which
was offered them at a low price, as it had become unseaworthy, - indeed was
almost a wreck. However, an arrangement was effected whereby Mr.
Webster repaired the boat, and in return was given a passage for his family
and goods to Ashtabula landing. It was not altogether a safe voyage,
as not one of the company was acquainted with handling a boat except Mr.
Webster. The motive power was supplied by oars and setting-poles,
aided by extemporized sails of bed blankets and sheets. There were
twenty-one on board. At night the boat was beached and made fast, the
greater portion of the passengers going ashore to sleep. Reaching
Ashtabula, they tarried there until June, 1809, when the family removed to
Kingsville and made a permanent settlement. In the nineteenth year of
his age Hiram Hall Webster commenced the study of medicine, and in 1824
entered upon the practice of his profession. For over thirty years he
was a practitioner at Kingsville, where he became well known and had the
respect of all.
Dr. E. M. Webster is one of a
family of eight, namely: Corinna N., who died Jan. 17, 1861, was born
Mar. 10, 1825, and was the wife of Rev. Erastus C. Williams, a minister in
the Presbyterian Church at Kingsville for many years; Dr. Elizur Michael,
the subject of this article; Laura Ann, who died in infancy; Ann Eliza, wife
of D. P. Venan, was born Dec. 14, 1830, and died Aug. 23, 1852; Clarinda L.,
born Aug. 19, 1833, is the wife of D. P. Venan; Charles H., born Jul. 21,
1836, lives in Kelloggsville; Emily F., born Sep. 6, 1839, is the wife of A.
L. Newcomb and lives at Hiawatha, Kansas; and Henry C., born Feb. 11, 1842,
a soldier in the late war, died in the hospital at Philadelphia, October 8,
The subject of this sketch had excellent education
advantages for his day. He read medicine under the instruction of his
father, and in due time entered the medical department of the Western
Reserve College at Cleveland, Ohio, where he was graduated Feb. 22, 1854.
He began the practice of his profession at Kingsville with his father, and
has continued his professional career here up to the present time, meeting
with eminent success. He is examiner for several insurance companies,
and for twenty-three years served as county physician. In the winter
of 1874-75 he was at London in Guy's Hospital with Dr. John C. Hubbard, of
Dr. E. M. Webster was married June 4, 1851, to
Miss Emily A. Beckwith, daughter of Lemuel and Sarah (Palen) Beckwith, her
parents having located in Kingsville, Ohio, in 1838. The Doctor and
his wife have had two children: Darwin P., who died in infancy; and
Dr. George E., born July 25, 1858. Dr. George E. is a graduate of the
Western Reserve Medical College with the class of 1880. He spent two
years in the Cleveland City Hospital, and since then has been a practitioner
in Ashtabula county. He married Alice M. Blodgett, daughter of Ira A.
and Alice J. (Kent) Blodgett, Dec. 31, 1883, and they have two children,
George Kenneth and Alice Geraldine.
Dr. Webster and his
son are Knights Templar, and affiliate with Cache Commandery, No. 27, at
Conneaut. They are Republican in politics. Both are elders in
the Presbyterian Church, of which their wives are also members. The
father and grandfather of Dr. E. M. Webster were station agents and
conductors on the underground railway before the war. They kept the
sable sons of Ham in the garret in Clark Webster's house. For many
years the senior Dr. Webster has been an honored leader not only in the
professional ranks but also in business and political circles. He is
still active in his profession, and, although now well advanced in years,
has no occasion to retire from the large and lucrative practice which he has
so successfully established. It is but just to say of the younger
Doctor that he takes rank as a leader among the rising physicians of the
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in
Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)
a real estate dealer in Conneaut, Ohio, is a veteran of the late war and
prominent and highly respected citizen of this place. Following is a
resume of his life:
Lewis Harper was born in Perry, Lake county, Ohio, Nov.
30, 1841, son of Aaron and Sarah (Richardson) Harper, both natives of Ohio.
He is the only son and oldest child in a family of three children, his two
sisters being Mrs. Laura Ford, of Conneaut, and Mary, wife of Henry Strong,
a wholesale merchant of Newark, Ohio. The mother died in 1847, at the
age of twenty-three years of age, is in the enjoyment of health and
strength. His life has been one of honest industry, and by his
sterling qualities he has gained the respect of all who know him.
Mr. Harper was engaged in farming in Ashtabula
county until the breaking out of the Civil war. In September, 1861, he
tendered his services to the Union cause, becoming a member of Company E,
Twenty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, First Brigade, Second Division,
Twelfth Army Corps, in the Army of the Potomac. After the battle of
Winchester, in the spring of 1862, he was taken sick and was sent to the
hospital at Portsmouth, Rhode Island, where he remained a month and then
rejoined his regiment. Among the important engagements in which he
took part were those of Cedar Mountain, second Bull Run, Chancellorsville
and Gettysburg. After the battle of Gettysburg the Eleventh and
Twelfth Army Corps were transferred to the Army of the Cumberland, where
they were consolidated, forming the Twentieth Army Corpos and rendering
valiant service. To give an account of all the engagements in which
they participated would be to write a history of the war. Suffice it
to say that Mr. Harper was among the victorious soldiers who saw the stars
and stripes floating on Lookout Mountain after the battle; took part in
nearly all the battles in the Atlanta campaign; that he was with Sherman's
forces on that memorable "march to the sea;" that he was in the march
northward through the Carolinas, and that he witnessed the Grand Review at
Washington. He had a furlough of thirty days, beginning December 2,
1863, and with this exception and the one above referred to, he was in the
service until the war closed, being mustered out at Louisville, Kentucky,
and discharged at Cleveland, Ohio, July 13, 1865. And during all this
time, although he was often in the thickest of the fight and in close
quarters, he never received a wound nor was he ever taken prisoner. At
one time he had a lock of hair shot off just above his ear, and in two
different battles had bullet holes cut through his coat. Mr. Harper
has a valuable relic of the late war, an English-make Enfield rifle, which
he captured on Culp's Hill at Gettysburg, and which he carried from that
time until the close of his service. Both his paternal and maternal
grandfather were in the army of 1812. All honor to these brave, loyal
soldiers who without flinching went into the heat of battle, faced the
cannon's mouth, endured privation and exposure, and often subsisted on short
rations - all for the love of country and the protection of the Old Flag.
The war over, Mr. Harper turned his attention to the
business of ship carpentry, which he followed for sixteen years, and
afterward for three years was foreman mechanic in the shop of G. J. Record's
butter-tub factory. Sine then he has been engaged in the real-estate
business of Conneaut. He platted the Marshall Capron place, and has
been successful in his business operations. Mr. Harper was a member of
the City Council for two years, from 1890 to 1892.
He was married December 26, 1865, to Miss Augusta
Dodge, daughter of James and Susan (Culver) Dodge of Conneaut. They
have four children, namely: Carrie, wife of James C. Tyler, Conneaut; Ann
M., Wallace M. and Sadie O., these three being of the home circle.
Mr. Harper and his wife are members of the Christian
Church. He is prominently identified with the Masonic fraternity,
having taken the degrees in the blue lodge, chapter, council and Cache
Commandery. He is also an active member of Custer Post, No. 9, G. A.
F., and has filled nearly all its offices. Politically, he is a
Benjamin S. Snyder,
foreman in the New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad shop at Conneaut,
Ohio, was born in Wyandot county, this State, son of Simon and Caroline
(Edwards) Snyder, his father native of Virginia, and his mother of
Simon Snyder came from Virginia to Ohio at an early day
and settled in Wyandot county, being one of the prominent pioneers of that
county and one of its well-to-do farmers. He died at the age of forty
years. His wife survived him a number of years, her demise occurring
March 3, 1886, at which time she had reached the age of seventy-two years.
For more than twenty years she was a member of the Methodist Episcopal
Church. Benjamin S. is the youngest child of their six children, the
others being as follows: W. W., a ranchman, is married and living at
Eden, Texas; A. W., a miller by trade, married Miss Myram Peters, and
resides in Licking county, Ohio; Lucy died at the age of forty-three
years: Laura, wife of Joseph Baird, died at the age of thirty-nine; and
Carey M., who married Miss Anna Robertson, a resident of Tuscola, Illinois.
B. S. Snyder has been engaged in railroading ever since
he was sixteen years of age, beginning as brakeman, afterward being employed
as a conductor, fireman and engineer, and at present is foreman in the
shops. With the completion of the road to Conneaut in 1882, he came
from Columbus to this place. He is engine dispatcher, and has charge
of both the road men and shop men. His long connection with the
business and the many places he has filled eminently fit him for his present
position which he has held the past four years.
Mr. Snyder was married, November 17, 1872, to Miss
Lizzie Hogan, who was left an orphan at an early age. She is a member
of the First Baptist Church of Conneaut. Mr. Snyder is an enthusiastic
Mason, having the reputation of being better posted on Masonry than any
other man in the town. He has taken the degrees of the blue lodge,
chapter, council and commandery, and is Eminent Commander of Cache
Commandery of Conneaut, No. 27. He takes little interest in political
matters, but votes the Republican ticket.
Personally, Mr. Snyder is a most genial and courteous
man, popular with his railroad employers and associates, and, indeed, with
all who know home. His home surroundings indicate culture and
refinement as well as contentment and happiness.
a retired farmer and one of the most substantial men of Ashtabula county,
has been identified with this county all his life, having been born in
Conneaut, October, 16, 1821.
His parents, Benjamin F. and Hannah (Abbott) Fifield,
were natives of Vermont and New Hampshire respectively. Benjamin F.
Fifield came to Ohio about 1816 with his mother, and was among the early
pioneers of Ashtabula county, where he was engaged in farming until the time
of his death. During the war of 1812 he enlisted in the service, but
the war closed before his regiment was called into action. He was born
in 1793 and died in 1871. In early life he was a stanch Whig, but
later was a Republican. A Deacon in the Christian Church and an
honorable and upright man, his integrity was never questioned, and few men
in the county were more highly respected than he. His wife, born in
November, 1797, died in April, 1885. She, too, was a member of the
Christian Church, having obeyed the gospel in her girlhood days, and her
whole life was adorned with Christian graces. The Abbotts were also
among the pioneers of Ohio, having settled on the lake shore at an early
day. Mr. and Mrs. Fifield had two children, Laura Ann and Josiah.
The former died in 1841, aged nineteen years.
Josiah Fifield was reared a farmer, which occupation he
as followed through life. He was married April 6, 1843, to Miss Emma
T. Ford, daughter of Ambrose and Amanda (Barnum) Ford. Her mother, a
cousin of of P. T. Barnum, died at the age of twenty-five years, and her
father lived to be seventy-eight, his death occurring in Pierpont, this
county, where he had lived on a farm for many years. Mrs. Fifield and
her sister, Abbie, widow of John Miller, are the only survivors in a family
of five children.
The family of Josiah F. Fifield consisted of three
children, namely: B. Ambrose, who was Born December 28, 1844, and died
October 24, 1864, aged twenty years; Greenleaf F.; and Ella M., wife of F.
Mrs. Fifield has been a member of the Baptist Church
sine her seventeenth year. Since 1855 Mr. Fifield has been identified
with the Masonic fraternity, having taken the degrees of the blue lodge,
chapter and council. He has served as Worthy Master of the lodge and
High Priest of the chapter. Politically, he is a Republican.
foreman of the car department at the Nickel Plate shops,
Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Germany, February 25, 1848, and brought with him
to this country the thrift and energy so characteristic of the people of his
His parents, Frederick and Sophia (Hunterman)
Tatgenhorst, both natives of Germany, landed in America about 1869, two
years after the arrival of their son in this country. Frederick
Tatgenhorst did an extensive business as a shoemaker in Germany, and after
coming to the United States and settling in Steubenville, Ohio, opened a
shop for the same business, which he followed up to the time of his death,
April 25, 1891, at the age of seventy-four years. His wife died
January 16, 1881, at the age of sixty-two. Both were members of the
Lutheran Church. In their family were four sons and two daughters,
namely: Charles, the subject of this sketch; Didrich, who died in
Steubenville, Ohio, at the age of thirty-one years; Christopher, a resident
of East Liverpool, Ohio; Harman, of Wichita, Kansas; Kate, wife of Henry
Cook, of East Liverpool; and Kazena, who died at the age of twelve years.
Charles Tatgenhorst received his education in his
native land. He learned the carpenters' trade there, and worked at it
from the time he was fourteen until he was nineteen, at which age he came to
America. He set sail from Bremen, April 16, and after a pleasant
voyage landed in New York on the 28th of the same month, 1867. Three
days after landing in that city he was met by his uncle, William Tatgenhorst,
of Albany, New York, to which place they went. After working on the
farm with his uncle one month, and feeling the need of learning our
language, he obtained employment with eight other men, none of whom could
speak German, and he soon learned the English tongue. Next, we find
him at Steubenville, Ohio, where he had German acquaintances, and where he
worked at his trade fourteen years, his parents in the meantime having
settled there. In 1871 he spent five months in Kansas City, Missouri,
at the end of which time he returned to Steubenivlle, and from there went to
Dennison, Ohio, where he was employed in the Pan-Handle shops three years
and a half. After that he spent five months in East Liverpool,
building houses. Then he went to Bridgeport, Ohio and built twenty
houses for the Cleveland, Lorain & Wheeling Railroad Company, after which he
was employed in the same company's shops at Lorain one year. In 1882
he entered the service of the Nickel-Plate Road. In their employ he
traveled through the West, going from La Fayette to Chicago, then to Lima,
and from there to Conneaut. Since 1882 he has been foreman of the car
department of the Nickel-Plate shops at Conneaut. Mr. Tatgenhorst made
his own start in the world, and by his honest toil and careful economy has
won his way to success. He owns four beautiful houses nicely located
on Liberty street.
Mr. Tatgenhorst was married, January 16, 1868, at
Steubenville, Ohio, to Augusta Ohm, daughter of Christian and Hannah Ohm, of
Germany. Four of the nine Ohm children grew to maturity, Augusta being
the only one who ever came to America. He and his wife have three
children: Sophia, Kate and Minnie. Sophia is the wife of William
Attwood, a native of Sheffield, England, who has been in this country seven
years. Mr. and Mrs. Attwood have one child, Charley. Mr.
Tatgenhorst of the Congregational Church. He is a Mason and an
Odd-Fellow, and in Politics is a Republican.
H. C. Whittekin,
civil engineer and surveyor, Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Venango county,
Pennsylvania, August 22, 1851.
His parents, Frank and Martha (Koch) Whittekin,
were natives of Germany, and were married in Pennsylvania. His father
was born in June, 1799, came to America in 1836; settled in Pittsburgh; was
a farmer and furnace contractor; was self-made, lived an honorable and
upright life, and won the respect of all who knew him. He died August
23, 1863. The mother was born in June, 1822; came to America in
December, 1835; settled in Cleveland, and a year later moved to Pittsburgh.
In 1842 she went with her husband to Venango county, Pennsylvania, where
they bought a farm and spent the rest of their lives. Her death
occurred in June, 1891. Both were members of the Lutheran Church.
Their four children are as follows: Mary; Albert F., who married Edith
Moore, of Venango county, is engaged in farming in Pennsylvania; H. C., the
subject of our sketch; and Frank F., who learned civil engineering with his
brother, and who married Addie C. Chadman, resides in Tionesta, Forest
county, Pennsylvania, he being chief engineer of the Philadelphia, Honesdale
& Albany Railroad.
H. C. Whittekin received his early education behind the
kitchen stove, his mother being the instructor. She was a woman of
marked intellect, and had an excellent education, being a graduate of the
school at Erfurt, Germany, and also having had experience as a teacher.
She is said to have been better posted in politics than any one else in the
county. Her specialty, however, was mathematics, in which science she
took particular delight. She continued her studies all her life, being
as much of a student at sixty as at twenty.
Mr. Whittekin's first business enterprise was in
drilling and prospecting for oil in Pennsylvania in 1866. He was
successful at this for a time and continued the business until 1872, when he
sold his interest and took up civil engineering. Then he spent some
time in the Western States and Territories, being in Colorado, Nevada, Utah,
Arizona, Washington, Oregon and California, a portion of the time in the
employ of the Denver & Rio Grande Railroad Company. In 1880 he located
in Forest county, Pennsylvania, and engaged in the real-estate business and
surveying, making that place his home until 1891. Then he traveled
through Mexico, in the interest of the Mexican National Railroad Company,
and afterward in the United States of Columbia, Brazil, Peru, Chili and
Patagonia, prospecting for railroad enterprises, in the employ of the United
States of Columbia. Since locating in Conneaut he has been engaged in
civil engineering and the real-estate business.
He was married, in 1892, to Miss Alberta E. Lowden,
daughter of Rev. E. T. Lowden, of Nebraska, Forest county, Pennsylvania.
They have one child, Frank L.
Mr. Whittekin is a member of the Episcopal Church, and
is prominently known in Masonic circles. He is a member of blue lodge,
No. 557, Olive, Pennsylvania; Conneaut Chapter, Conneaut, Ohio; Keystone
Council, Pennsylvania; Cache Commandery, Conneaut; Pittsburgh Grand
Consistory, Pennsylvania; and Syria Temple Shrine, Pittsburgh. His
political views are in harmony with Republican principles, and he has always
been identified with that party.
George W. Traver,
who is engaged in the real-estate and insurance business in Conneaut, Ohio,
has been identified with the interests of this city since 1883.
Mr. Traver was born in Canada, December 6, 1837, and
his parents, Jonathan and Anna (Weeks) Traver, are natives respectively of
Kinderbrook, New York, and St. Albans, Vermont. Jonathan Traver was
born March 17, 1801, and is now a venerable citizen of Conneaut, having
resided here since 1889. He is a veteran of the Canada Rebellion,
having served on the Reformers' side. Until the early part of the
present year (1893) he has never employed the services of a physician, and
for a man of his age is remarkably well preserved in both mind and body.
He has been an Elder in the Presbyterian Church for more than two
generations. His wife was a Presbyterian until quite recently, when
she unitd with the Congregational Church. They have had eight
children, as follows: Delia, widow of Peter Yager, resides with her
parents in this city; Angeline, widow of Cephas Peterson, is a resident of
West Superior, Wisconsin; Marshall, a resident of Bridgeman, Michigan;
George W.; Rev. Albert Traver, minister of the First Presbyterian Church of
Brockville, Canada, died at the age of thirty-six years; Louise, wife of
Charles Arthur, of Trenton, Canada, died at the age of twenty-four years;
and Edwin and Charles, hardware merchants of Conneaut.
George W. Traver received his education in Canada, and
for three years taught school there. In 1857 he engaged in the
carriage business in Chicago, Illinois, and was thus employed until the war
came on. In October, 1862, he enlisted in Company A, Seventeenth
Kansas Volunteer Regiment, which company he raised in Leavenworth, Kansas.
His first battle was that of Prairie Grove, Missouri. He afterward
participated in the battle of Pea Ridge and numerous other engagements.
After the war Mr. Traver returned to Chicago, and
engaged in the stone business in Chicago and Lemont, Illinois, being thus
engaged until 1876. By the great Chicago fire he lost everything he
had except his pluck and energy. Subsequently he was connected with
Kimball & Co. in Alabama, that firm having the contract to build five locks
in the Tennessee river. In 1883 he came from Alabama to Conneaut,
Ohio, where he has since resided, He was engaged in the hardware
business here until the spring of 1891, when he sold out to Hubbard & Co.
Sine that time he has been doing a real - estate and insurance business, and
has been very successful in his operations. He was elected a member of
the City Council in April, 1891, and is still serving as such.
Mr. Traver was married, in 1880, to Miss Tillie
Alexander, daughter of James Alexander, of Leighton, Alabama. She is a
graduate of Tuscumbia college. They have three children: Albert, Velma
and Anna. Both he and his wife are members of the Congregational
Church, of which he is now serving as Deacon, Treasurer and Trustee.
He is a Royal Arch Mason, and has been identified with the Masonic
fraternity for the past twenty years. Politically, he is a Republican,
having cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln.
L. A. Thayer, who is
engaged in the lumber business at Conneaut, Ohio, was born in this county,
August 11, 1826, son of Jacob and Harriet (Kent) Thayer, the former a native
of Massachusetts, and the latter of Vermont.
Jacob Thayer was one of the earliest pioneers of
Conneaut. He came here in 1812 and settled on the farm now owned by L.
A. Thayer and his son, D. C. Thayer. He and his wife had a family of
six sons and three daughters, namely: Luke, Lewis, Jacob, Andrew, Galand and
John, and Annis, Sallie and Abigail, most of whom have passed away.
Both parents were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church and were among
the most substantial and highly respected people of the community. The
father died in August, 1866, at the age of seventy-six years, and the mother
died Dec. 3, 1835, aged thirty four, consumption being the fatal disease
that called her to an early grave. Her parents died at the home of
Jacob Thayer many years ago. The Kent family was composed of four
children: Hiram, Asa Harriet and Irene, all having passed away except
L. A. Thayer, the subject of his sketch,
SOURCE: History of Vermilion County, Illinois:
a tale of its evolution, settlement and progress for nearly a century.
Lottie E. Jones - Publ. Chicago:Pioneer Pub. Co., 1911 - 1328 pgs.
AUGUSTUS LIVINGSTON WEBSTER.
Forty-three years ago Augustus Livingston
Webster became connected with the mercantile interests of Danville
and continuously throughout the intervening period he has been identified
with the business interests of the city. His record is such as any man might
be proud to possess, for he has never made an engagement that he has not
fulfilled nor incurred obligations that he has not met. In the legitimate
channels of trade he has sought his success, placing his dependence upon the
substantial qualities of industry, perseverance, and the wise utilization of
Mr. Webster was born in Conneaut,
Ashtabula County, Ohio, February 17, 1842, and is a son of Daniel
Noble and Emma (Wallingford) Webster, the
former a native of Swanton, Vermont, and the latter of Stanstead, Province
of Quebec, Canada. Both were descended from good old New England families,
our subject being of the eighth generation from John Webster,
who came to this country from England about 1633 and settled in Hartford,
Connecticut, where he became a member of the general court in 1637 and was
elected governor of the colony of Connecticut in 1656. He died at Hadley,
Massachusetts, in 1661. On the maternal side our subject traces his lineage
to David and Elizabeth (Lemar) Wallingford,
both natives of New Hampshire, the former having been born in Bradford in
1744 and the latter in Hollis in 1747. The Wallingford family was also of
English origin and was founded in the new world in an early day.
During his boyhood Augustus L. Webster attended
Conneaut Academy at Conneaut, Ohio, but his education has principally been
acquired through contact with the world after leaving school at the age of
sixteen years to commence the battle of life. He was first engaged in the
hardware business in Conneaut where he opened a store in 1864, but two years
later removed to Aurora, Illinois, where he continued in the same line of
trade until coming to Danville in 1867. Here he opened a hardware store in
partnership with the late George B. Yeomans and they carried on the
same together until 1879 when they sold out to Messrs. Giddings &
Patterson, who continued the business for many years in the building
erected by Mr. Webster at the corner of West Main and Franklin
streets. After disposing of his hardware stock in 1879 Mr. Webster
embarked in the wholesale grocery business with the late Robert
Coddington, under the firm name of R. Coddington & Company, but
in 1884 he withdrew from that firm and established a wholesale business for
himself under the firm name of A. L. Webster & Company. In 1889 A.
H. Heinly was admitted to partnership and for seven years the
business was conducted under the style of Webster & Heinly. In
February, 1896, the Webster Grocery Company was incorporated and is
now doing business at the corner of North street and Washington avenue,
where they own and occupy a fine large building well equipped in all its
appointments. The company has a paid up capital and surplus of one hundred
and forty thousand dollars and has a large trade which extends over a large
amount of territory. Its officers are A. L. Webster, president,
George R. Angle, vice president, and Lewis Williams, secretary
Mr. Webster was married in Conneaut, Ohio,
September 30, 1862, to Miss Eliza E. Innis, an adopted daughter of
Dr. James and Harriet Innis. She was born at Fairview, Pennsylvania, a
daughter of Thomas and Eliza Baxter, but as her mother died at
her birth, she was adopted by Dr. Innis and his wife with whom she
made her home until her marriage. Later she was enabled to return their
great kindness by giving her foster mother a home for many years. Mr. And
Mrs. Webster became the parents of four children, namely: Emma
H., who died in Danville, January 5, 1898; Katie M., who died in
Danville, March 7, 1899; Clara M., who was married in 1893 to Dale
Remble now deceased; and Nellie E., the wife of Dr. R. L.
In 1862, when the Confederate general, Kirby Smith,
made a raid northward from Kentucky and threatened to march through the
state of Ohio to Lake Erie, Mr. Webster enlisted as a member of the
militia company belonging to the Ohio Squirrel Hunters Brigade and aided in
repelling this invasion. The Republican party finds in him a staunch
supporter of its principles but he has never cared for official honors,
having served only as a member of the school and library boards and as
assistant supervisor for two terms. As a public spirited citizen, however,
he takes an active interest in those measures which he believes will prove
of public benefit and has served as president of the Danville public library
and as treasurer of the Spring Hill Cemetery Association. He is one of the
prominent Masons of this section of the state, holding membership with all
the Masonic bodies of Danville and also with the Oriental Consistory of
Chicago, having attained to the thirty-second degree in the Scottish rite.
He was grand commander of the Illinois Knights Templar in 1895-1896 and is
also identified with Danville Lodge, No. 332, Benevolent and Protective
Order of Elks. His business affairs, however, claim the greater part of his
time and attention and he was for many years a director of the Palmer
National Bank and also a director of the Vermilion County Building
Association, with which he has been connected for many years. He is justly
accorded a place among the prominent and representative citizens of
Danville, for he belongs to that class of men whose enterprising spirit is
used not alone for their own benefit. He also advances the general good and
promotes the public prosperity by his able management of individual
interests. He has excellent ability as an organizer, forms his plans readily
and is determined in their execution. This enables him to conquer obstacles
which deter many a man and it has been one of the salient features in his
MORE TO COME.............
FIFIELD - not ready
MIXER - not ready
RODGERS - not ready
< BACK TO BIOGRAPHY INDEX >