affiliated with Ohio Genealogy Express



A. B. Elliott, a resident of Conneaut, Ohio, and an engineer on the Nickel Plate Railroad, was born in Chautauqua county, New York, September 10, 1842.  His parents are Joseph and Rebecca (Austin) Elliott.  The Austins are of English descent, and had ceded to them from the crown of England a large tract of land in Simcoe county, Canada.  Joseph Elliott was by trade a hatter, which occupation he followed in early life.  Later, he spent some time on the lakes.  He was half owner of the brig Chancey and the schooner Whittlesey, and was once shipwrecked off the Erie peninsula.  Retiring from the water in 1852, he bought and moved to a farm a mile and a half east of the city of Dunkirk, where he still lives, superintending his agricultural interests.  He was born in 1809, and even at this advanced age is quite active.  Since boyhood he has been a member of the Baptist Church, and much of the time an officer of the same.  His wife was also an honored member of that church.  She died in 1852, aged thirty-one years.

Of their family of six children we make the following record:  Frances, the oldest, is the widow of John Mathews, and for over thirty-five years has been a popular and efficient teacher, both she and her daughter Susan now being teachers in the schools of  Dunkirk, New York.  Susan, the second born, is the wife of Marvin Snow, and resides in Chautauqua county, New York.  William is married and resides in the same county.  A B., the subject of this sketch, is the fourth born.  Mary, wife of Mortimer Snow, lives in Chautauqua county, New York, Mortimer Snow's farm adjoining that of Marvin Snow.  David, the youngest, died at Bradford, Pennsylvania, after a brief illness with fever, aged twenty-seven years.

In 1859 the subject of our sketch accompanied his father, who was at that time in poor health, on a prospecting tour through the West, their party being composed of about forty persons, of whom he was the youngest.  They chartered a car from Dunkirk to St. Louis and from the latter place went to Fort Leavenworth by boat.  They bought their teams and provisions in Illinois, and after reaching Fort Leavenworth camped for two weeks about three miles from the fort, training their stock.  They then made the journey from Fort Leavenworth to Denver with what was known as the "White Mule Train," consisting of one span of white mules in the lead, followed by ten wagons, each drawn by two yoke of oxen.  This journey was one of adventure and delight to young Elliott, and on one occasion he made a narrow escape from wolves, which incident is worthy of narration here.

One evening, having camped for the night, they saw some buffaloes coming to a creek nearby to drink.  Thinking to secure one of them, he and four others took their guns and secreted themselves at the branch.  In a clump of bushes on the other side of the stream, however, were other hunters who intercepted the buffaloes, killing one and frightening the others away.  Mr. Elliott and his party followed the herd about two miles, and, night coming on, they slipped up and killed one, the others making their escape.  The little party then cast lots to see who should return to the camp and get help to bring in the carcass.  The lot fell to Elliott.  After he had been on his way a short time some twenty or thirty hungry wolves came near enough to show their teeth.  Our young friend fired and killed one, and while the rest of them stopped to devour it he ran as fast as he could.  A moment more and the hungry wolves were in hot pursuit, and again he turned and fired and ran while they again stopped in their mad pursuit to make way with their fallen comrade.  This was repeated until young Elliott's last bullet was gone, and at this critical time he had the good fortune to meet some of their party who had come out from camp, thinking that something was wrong.  Together they returned for the other men, whom they met on their way to camp, each with a large hunk of meat and an experience similar to that of young Elliott.

They took a claim and mined and prospected, making a prospecting trip around the base of Pike's Peak; but as a financial success this tour was a failure.  After seven months they returned home.

At the age of seventeen Mr. Elliott was employed as a brakeman on the New York & Erie Railroad, and a year later was promoted to the position of extra conductor.  This was in 1863.  At the earnest request of his sisters, he left the railroad in 1864.  Then for a short time he was in the oil regions of Pennsylvania.  Returning to Chautauqua county, New York, he bought a half interest in a saw and lumber mill, being in partnership with his brother -in-law, Marvin Snow, and doing a successful business two years.  At the end of that time he sold out to Mr. Snow and went to Missouri, where he was engaged in farming four years.  In 1870, again returning to Chautauqua county, he took charge of the yard of the D. A. V. & P. Railroad for a short time.  It was not long after this that he went to firing on the road, and a year later was promoted to engineer.  Next we find him in the shops at Dunkirk, where he remained two years.  Then he went back on the road as engineer, and altogether was in the employ of that company for twelve years.  In January, 1883, he accepted a position as engineer on the Nickel Plate, in the employ of which road he has since remained.  He has been a resident of Conneaut since January 11, 1884.  During the twenty-three years in which he has been on the road he has never met with an accident in which anyone was hurt.

Mr. Elliott was married June 4, 1866, to Miss Alice Bull, a daughter of John D. Bull, of Chautauqua county, New York.  Her father died in 1854, at the age of thirty years.  Her mother was married in 1855 to Benjamin F. Baldwin, with whom she is still living, both being honored residents of Conneaut.  Mr. and Mrs. Elliott have had eight children, namely:  Nellie, who died at the age of one year; Florence, wife of George Woodman, of Chicago, Illinois, has one child, Carrie; William, who died at the age of one year; Carrie, wife of Thomas McHugh, died November 12, 1891, aged eighteen years; and Jessie, David, Mabel and Frank, members of the home circle.

Personally, Mr. Elliott is a man of fine physique, and is popular with his many friends.  He is a charter member of the A. O. U. W., Lodge No. 11; is a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, and is Chief of Division No. 273, Conneaut, Ohio.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

John Fitzmaurice, a railroad engineer on the Nickel Plate, is another one of the worthy citizens of Conneaut, Ohio.  Mr. Fitzmaurice was born in Niagara county, New York, June 22, 1856, son of Thomas and Ann Fitzmaurice, natives of Ireland.  His father was a slopewall layer on the Erie canal.  He located in Mercer county, Pennsylvania, in 1862, and lived there until the time of his death, July 6, 1873, aged sixty-six years.  His wife, still living in Sharpsville, Pennsylvania is now seventy years of  age.  She is a member of the Catholic Church, as also was her worthy husband.  Following is a brief record of their family of ten children:  James, a resident of Chicago; Margaret, who married Dr. Mahaney, of Erie, Pennsylvania, died at the age of thirty-three years; Thomas, who married Emma Coopenville, resides in Erie, Pennsylvania, he having been in the employ of the Erie & Pennsylvania Railroad for the past eighteen years, as conductor the last twelve years; John; Charles, an engineer on the Erie & Pennsylvania Railroad; Anna, wife of John Bogle, Sharon, Pennsylvania; Willie, an engineer on the Erie & Pennsylvania; Ella, wife of Matthew Donahue, Sharpsville, Pennsylvania; Lizzie, deceased; and Kate, who lives with her mother.

At the age of Sixteen John began life on his own responsibility.  First, he shoveled ore, then he worked on the section, next attended a furnace, and after that was employed as a car inspector on the Erie & Pennsylvania.  In 1883 he accepted a position as fireman on the Nickel Plate, and after firing three years was given charge of an engine, March 12, 1886.  Since that date he has served as engineer on this road.  His long continuance with the company is evidence of his competency and faithful work.

Mr. Fitzmaurice is married and has one child, Clara W.  Mrs. Fitzmaurice, formerly Miss Emma C. Peters, is a daughter of Charles and Ellen Peters of Sharpsville, Pennsylvania.  Her father has been yardmaster of the Erie & Pennsylvania for over twenty-five years.  Mr. and Mrs. Peters' family is composed of the following children:  Clara, wife of Dr. T. M. Brown; Joseph B.; Mrs. Fitzmaurice; Cora, wife of C. C. Jones, of Sharpsville, Pennsylvania; Charles, an employee of the Chicago & Alton, was killed while on the road, in 1885, aged twenty-four years; Edward, a bookkeeper in Sharpsville, Pennsylvania; Willie, who resides in Conneaut, is a conductor on the Nickel Plate.  Willie married Jett Hickins.

Mr. Fitzmaurice and his wife are members of the Catholic Church.  He belongs to the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, of which he is First Engineer.  His political views are in harmony with Democratic principles.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)
NOTE:  John and Emma Fitzmaurice are buried in St. Joseph Cemetery, Conneaut, Ohio.

James E. Ford, a farmer and the owner of valuable real estate at Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, July 4, 1830.

Mr. Ford's parents, Thomas and Catherine (Rick) Ford, were both natives of Pennsylvania.  Thomas Ford came to Erie county, Ohio, at an early day, and during the war of 1812, on account of Indian depredations, he and others returned to Crawford county, Pennsylvania.  Subsequently he volunteered as a private in the war, and served until the emergency was over.  He had one of the best ordered farms in Pennsylvania, was well known as a man of more than ordinary ability, and passed his whole life engaged in agricultural pursuits.  He died in his native State, March 21, 1861, aged nearly eighty years.  His wife died about 1834.  They had a family of fourteen children, of whom three daughters and two sons are still living.  The family was well represented in Civil war, two of the sons losing their life's blood on the field of battle.  Daniel enlisted in 1861, as First Lieutenant in the Twenty-seventh Michigan Infantry, was in the Army of the Potomac, and was instantly killed in the mine exploded by General Burnside at Petersburg.  He was about thirty years of age.  Alexander, aged about twenty-two years, was in the Eighty-third Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, and was killed instantly in the battle of the Wilderness, in 1864.  His friends saw him fall, but his remains were never recovered.  He had been in the service since 1861.  Andrew, another brother, enlisted in 1862, in the One Hundred and Eleventh Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry; served all through the war, and came home at its close a physical wreck.  He is still living, in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, and has been an invalid all his life.  The names of this large family, in order of birth, are as follows:  John, who died in 1863; Eliza, a resident of Pennsylvania, now nearly eighty years of age; Julia, of Crawford county, Pennsylvania; Thomas, Jr., who was kicked by a horse and died a few hours later, in 1863; Andrew, above referred to; Lorena, a resident of Wisconsin; David, some place in the West; William, who died in 1857, at the age of twenty-seven; Silas, who died in 1893 of la grippe, aged sixty-four years; James E., whose name heads this article; Daniel; Margaret, who died at the age of thirty-five; Sarah, now Mrs. Johnson, residing at the old homestead in Crawford county, Pennsylvania; and Alexander.

James E. Ford came from his native State to Conneaut, Ohio, in 1882, and has been engaged in farming here ever since.  He owns thirty acres of land at the Harbor, most of which is laid off in town lots, and all of which is valuable property.  The last lot he sold was in the fall of 1892, it being 25 x 72 feet, and bringing $750.  He has refused that price for other lots in the same locality.  His attractive home, located on Harbor street, is next to the last house between Conneaut and Canada.

Mr. Ford was married, June 6, 1868, to Miss Sallie A. Henry, daughter of William and Sallie Henry, of Crawford county, Pennsylvania.  Her father was a farmer and a highly respected citizen.  Both parents died at about the age of eighty years.  Her mother was a life-long and devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Mrs. Ford is the youngest of their four children, the others being as follows:  John, engaged in farming at the old homestead; Mary, deceased, was the wife of J. E. Wilcox; and Ann, wife of Alonzo Fish, who resides on a farm in Pennsylvania.  Mr. Fish enlisted in the Union army in 1861, and served four years.  He was the last person who ever saw General McPherson alive.  He saw him riding toward the rebel lines, a moment later heard a rifle report, and then saw the horse returning without a rider.  He was in the Atlanta campaign, and went with Sherman from Atlanta to the sea.  The only injury he received in the war was from being thrown off his horse, his knee being hurt at that time, from the effects of which he is still lame.

Mr. and Mrs. Ford have four children: Lillie, Perley Victor, Lulu and Flossie.  Mrs. Ford and her son are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and the two oldest daughters are Baptists.

Politically, Mr. Ford is a Democrat.  While a resident of Crawford county, Pennsylvania, he served three years as County Auditor.  Fraternally, he is a Mason and an A. O. U. W.  Public-spirited and generous, enterprising and progressive, he has done his part toward advancing in which he lives.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

Laurel V. Stone, (1) the leading jeweler of Conneaut, Ohio, was born in this city April 7, 1855, son of Edward and Eliza A. Stone.  His early life was spent on his father's farm, a mile and a half south of Conneaut, and his education was received in the Conneaut Academy and at Cobb's Business College in Painesville, Ohio.  He learned the jeweler's trade of D. P. Venen, at that time a prominent jeweler of Conneaut.  After completing his trade, in the fall of 1879 he engaged in business for himself at Vermillion, Ohio, where he remained six years, meeting with prosperity.  In 1885 he sold out and returned to the home of his youth.  He then purchased the jewelry store of E. H. Hiler, and by close attention to business and untiring energy he has succeeded in building up a trade that has gained for him the reputation of being the leading jeweler of Conneaut.  He carries a well assorted stock of gold and silver, and also keeps musical instruments of all kinds.  Fine and difficult repairing is a specialty with him.

Mr. Stone was married February 20, 1879, by Rev. J. W. Martin, and has two children, Frank Edward and John Olmsted.  Mrs. Stone, formerly Miss Addie M. Olmsted, is a daughter of John and Hannah (Saulisbury) Olmsted.  He and his wife are members of the Christian Church, and both are active church and Sabbath-school workers, he being Financial Secretary of the church and Assistant Superintendent and teacher in the Sunday-school, and she the Sunday-school Treasurer.  Mr. Stone votes with the Republican party, taking, however, little interest in political matters.  He is a stockholder in the Conneaut, Gas, Light and Fuel Company.

With fraternal as well as business circles Mr. Stone is prominently identified.  He is a member of Evergreen Lodge, No. 222, A. F. & A. M., also of Conneaut Chapter, No. 76, R. A. M., and Conneaut Council, No. 40, R. & S. M.  He is Chancellor Commander of Maple Lodge, No. 217, K. of P., and is also a member of Conneaut Division, No. 114, Uniform Rank, K. of P.  In the last two named organizations he has passed all the chairs in the local lodges, being the Senior Past Officer in each.  He is Select Councillor of Eureka Council, No. 1, R. T. of T., of Conneaut; is Past President of Conneaut Circle, No. 38, P. H. C.; is Past President of Conneaut Council, No. 37, A. P. A.; is a member of Conneaut Council, No. 780, Royal Arcanum, and is a member of the Ohio State Police.  At the State Council Session, held at Youngstown, Ohio, May 9, 10 and 11, 1893, he was elected State Councillor of Ohio, in the Junior O. U. A. M., he having carved his way in the State Council, step by step, from office of State Council Warden to the highest place in the gift of the State Council; he has the honor of being the first person in the history of Conneaut to fill the chief State executive office of any secret society, and his local Council Northern Star, No. 30, Jr. O. U. A. M., feel highly honored that one of their number should be thus favored.

He is a member of Conneaut Tent, No. 100, K. O. T. M., and also holds a State office in this order, that of State Picket, and it is fondly hoped by his numerous friends that in the not distant future he will occupy the highest position in the order.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)
(1) Laural V. Stone was buried in City Cemetery, Conneaut, Ohio

Edward Augustin Stone, (1) one of the old settlers of Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Ashtabula county, this State, January 17, 1825, son of Captain Merrit and Arsula (Loomis) Stone.

Captain Stone was a shoemaker by trade, but was for some years engaged in agricultural pursuits.  He was captain of a company in the war of 1812.  A brother of his, Randolph Stone, was a Presbyterian minister for many years, preaching in this county, and owning a farm here on Rock Creek.  Captain Stone went West (to Indiana or Illinois) to settle some land warrants, and died on the way.  He was traveling with ox teams and in company with a large party.  Little, however, is known of his sickness or death, as the facilities for obtaining news in those days were very poor.  His wife is also deceased.  She was a member of the Presbyterian Church.  Grandfather Stone died in Hampton.  He was twice married.  His first wife's maiden name was Woodruff, and their only child was Captain Merrit Stone.

Edward A. is the fourth in a family of seven children, namely: Balinda, unmarried, and an invalid for many years, recently went to California for her health, where she died, at the age of sixty years; Lucinda married John Venen, and both she and her husband are deceased; Amanda, unmarried, died in Kingsville, this county, at about the age of twenty years; Edward A.; Fernando, who spent some time on the ocean when a young man, was married in New York State, and afterward settled in Kingsville, this county, where his death occurred; Priscilla, who died at the age of twelve years; Henry Warren is married and living at Niagara Falls.

The subject of our sketch was married April 7, 1851, to Miss Eliza A. Venen, daughter of Dr. John Venen and his wife, Nancy (Haywood) Venen.  Her parents both lived to a ripe old age, her father dying at the age of ninety-two, and her mother two years later.  Dr. Venen and his wife had children as follows:  John D., deceased; Virgil H., proprietor of a greenhouse in Conneaut; Eliza A.; Joseph A., a resident of Cleveland, engaged in the jewelry business; Darwin P., a jeweler of Conneaut; Laurel P., of Olympia, Washington; Laura L., a twin sister of Laurel P., is the widow of Levi Briggs, and lives at Conneaut; and Mary, wife of John Scott, is deceased.  Edward A. Stone and his wife have two children:  Laurel V. and Laura ElizaLaura E. married Charles Putnam, a furniture dealer of Conneaut, and has two children, Eppie May and Walter Edward.

Mr. Stone learned the blacksmith trade in early life, and worked at that trade for thirty years.  He manufactured carriages and wagons, hiring trimmers and painters and running all the departments of the complete carriage shop.  Later he bought a farm and carried on agricultural pursuits, also having a shop on his farm and working in it much of the time.  He has seen much of hardships and privations incident to pioneer life.  He has served in various minor offices, at one time being both Deputy Sheriff and Constable.  He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, in which he has a high standing, being a member of Evergreen Lodge, No. 222, A. F. & A. M.; Conneaut Chapter, No. 76, R. A. M.; Conneaut Council, No. 40, R. & S. M.; and Cache Commandery, No. 27, K. T.  He has passed all the chairs in the three former bodies and was a charter member of the three latter bodies.  He was also the Senior S.C. of Eureka Council, No. 1, R. T. of T.  He and his wife and two children are members of the Christian Church, all having been baptized the same day.  Thus far there has not been a death in either the Stone or Putnam families.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)
(1) Edward Augustin Stone was buried in City Cemetery, Conneaut, Ohio. (E. A. Stone)

Charles R. Goddard, one of the leading attorneys in northeastern Ohio and a prominent citizen of Conneaut, was born in Windsor, Ashtabula county, this State, February 7, 1835, a son of one of the early pioneers of the State.

Ranney Goddard, (1) his father, was born in Connecticut, in October, 1800, and in 1820 came to this county.  It was not long after his arrival in Ohio that the family of Rawdons came out here from Connecticut and settled in Windsor township, and in 1826 he married Miss Lucy Rawdon.  In him were found those sterling qualities so characteristic of the true pioneer.  He knew what it was to endure hardship and privation, and heroically did he meet every emergency.  In the primeval forest he established his home and developed a fine farm, and there he and his good wife passed useful and happy lives.  Nobly did he do his pat in opening up the frontier and preparing the way for a higher civilization and progress which the present generation now enjoys.  Politically, he was a Democrat until the war broke out and from that time on he was a Republican.  He was a Captain in the militia and took a lively interest in training day.  In 1880 he passed away at the ripe old age of eighty years.  His wife died in 1881, aged seventy-four years.  She was for many years a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and her life was characterized by the sweetest of Christian graces.  For more than half a century she and her worthy husband lived happily together, their many amiable qualities endearing them to a large circle of neighbors and friends.  They had a family of four sons and three daughters, all of whom grew up to occupy honorable and useful positions in life, and of them we make the following record:  Lucy, the widow of a Mr. Tracy, is now in South Africa with her daughter, Mrs. Clara Hankins, wife of the Rev. Mr. Hankins, a missionary to that dark continent, in the interest of the Adventist Church.  Mrs. Tracy has a son, Ward Tracy, residing in this county.  Harriet Goddard became the wife of William Barnard.  They reside on a farm near Windsor in this county.  The next in order of birth is Charles R., whose name heads this article.  Erastus C. is a resident of Unionville Center, Ohio.  His wife, whose maiden name was Nancy Cook, is deceased.  Roland married Mary Ware and lives in this county.  Will F., also married and living in this county, is engaged in farming.  Mariette, wife of Charles W. Babcock, died many years ago.

Mr. Charles R. Goddard was educated at Orwell and Hiram College.  He entered Hiram about the time Garfield was promoted to a professorship in that institution, and Mr. Goddard recited mathematics to him.  He afterward attended law school in Cleveland, where he graduated with the class of 1859.  In 1861(2) he began the practice of his profession in Conneaut where he has since remained,  meeting with eminent success, and in point of time is now the oldest attorney in the place.  He has been a member of the City Council several terms and for a number of years has served on the School Board, taking an active interest in the educational affairs of the city.

He was married, August 30, 1876, to Miss Sina Baldwin, a lady of domestic attainments and rare social graces.  She is a daughter of L. I. Baldwin of Conneaut.  Mr. & Mrs. Goddard have four children: Charles, Harry W. and Wilfred and Winfred, twins.  He and his wife are members of the Congregational Church, and he is also a prominent member of the Masonic fraternity.

Mr. Goddard is a lawyer of marked ability.  He has been engaged in many of the principal litigations in this part of the country, and during his long and successful career here has gained an enviable reputation and made many warm friends.  He is still in the prime of active manhood, and much may be expected of him.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)
(1) In 1830 Census there is a B. Goddard  in Windsor, Ashtabula Co., Ohio in Roll 126, Book 1, Page 180a. There was No Orwell twp. at that time in the county.   For R. or Ranney Goddard, see 1840 Census, Orwell, Ashtabula Co., Ohio - Census Roll 376, Book 1, Pg 249a.  ALSO: 1850 Census, Orwell, Ashtabula Co., Ohio - Census Roll 659, Book 1, Page 479b.  ALSO:  1860 Census Orwell, Ashtabula Co., Ohio - Census Roll 932, Book 1, Pages 145b & 146a.  ALSO:  1870 Census Township of Orwell, Ashtabula Co., Ohio - Census Roll 1170 Bk. 1, page 295b, Dwelling & Family #41.
(2) In 1860, Chas. R. Goddard was listed in the census listed in (1) herein as living with his parents.  He was aged 26 yrs and an Atty. at Law.

John Gaffney, proprietor of the Conneaut House, Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Ashtabula county, this State, July 11, 1866, son of John F. and Bridget Gaffney.

His parents came from the old country to America previous to their marriage.  The father was a traveling man for many years - traveling until the Conneaut House was built, after which he was its proprietor until the time of his death, February 28, 1892, at the age of sixty-six years.  He had been a resident of Conneaut since before the war.  Mr. Gaffney was a devout Catholic, as is also his wife.  The names of their children are as follows:  Janie, Margaret, Elizabeth, Delia, John, Frankie, Agnes and Thomas.  All are at home and unmarried except Janie, who is the wife of Thomas E. McGinnis, a railroad engineer and a resident of Conneaut.  Mr. and Mrs. McGinnis have two children:  Benita and Eugene.  Of John F. Gaffney's brothers and sisters we record that one brother, James, resides in Erie, Pennsylvania; that Elizabeth is the wife of Patrick Cozens, of Conneaut; that Patrick, another brother, is deceased; and that Mary is the wife of Peter McGordy, Chicago.  Mrs. Gaffney had a brother and sister who came to Conneaut, Terrence Quinn, who died here; and Mrs. Edward Tinney, still of this place.  She has two brothers, Thomas and John, farmers in Iowa. and one brother, Henry, in St. Louis.

John Gaffney's first employment was that of yard clerk at the Nickel Plate, where he remained for two years.  After this he clerked in his uncle's store in Erie some time.  Then he went on the road as a traveling salesman, being in the employ of S. Peterson & Co., a wholesale grocery and flour house of Chicago, and continued on the road until after the death of his father, since which time he has conducted the hotel.

The Conneaut House is situated on the west side of Mill street, south of the New York, Cincinnati & St. Louis Railroad, being conveniently located for railroad men, who are its chief patrons.  Mr. Gaffney, having spent some years on the road, is acquainted with the wants of the traveling public, and he knows how to cater them in a courteous and pleasing manner.  Indeed, he is eminently fitted for the position he occupies.

He affiliates with the Democratic party, and is a member of the Catholic Church.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)


William Hoffman, locomotive engineer on the Nickel Plate Railroad, and a resident of Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Jefferson county, this State, October 2, 1862.

His parents, Andrew and Anna (George) Hoffman, were born in Germany and were married in Steubenville, Ohio, Andrew Hoffman having settled in Steubenville upon his arrival in this country in 1858.  He learned the trade of stone mason in the old country and has followed that trade all his life.  Both he and his wife are members of the German Lutheran Church.  Their three children are Anna, John and William.  Anna is the wife of Andrew Rosenhomer, a farmer of Beaver county, Pennsylvania.  They have five children: Henry, Albert, Maggie, Lawrence and Christopher C.  John, a resident of Little Washington, Pennsylvania, is a locomotive engineer.  He and his wife, Ella (O'Brien) Hoffman, have three children: William John and Stella.

William Hoffman, the subject of this article, remained on his father's farm until he was sixteen years of age, at which time he went to Wheeling, West Virginia, and entered the car-shops of the Baltimore & Ohio Railroad to learn the painter's trade, working at that a year and a half.  The paint not agreeing with him, he sought another line of work, and for a year was employed as hostler in the Pan Handle engine-house in that city.  Then he began firing on the Pan Handle, and ran between Dennison and Pittsburg two years.  In 1882 he came to Conneaut and accepted a position as fireman on the Nickel Plate.  After serving as fireman two months he was promoted as engineer and has been acting as such ever since.  By his careful attention to duty and the best interests of his employers, he has never met with any accident and has gained an enviable reputation as an engineer.

Mr. Hoffman was married November 5, 1885, to Miss Mary Sullivan, daughter of Dennis and Ellen Sullivan.  Her mother died August 27, 1884, at the age of forty years, and her father is still living, in Conneaut.  She is the oldest of three children.  Her brother William lives in Conneaut, and her sister Ann in Pittsburg.  All three were born in London.  The Sullivan family came to America in 1871 and settled in Collingwood, Ontario, and in 1876 came to Ashtabula county, Ohio.  They are members of the Catholic Church.  Mr. and Mrs. Hoffman have one child, William John.

Politically, Mr. Hoffman is a Democrat.  He is a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and of the Junior Order of American Mechanics.  Like many of the Brotherhood, he owns a comfortable home which his industry and frugality have secured.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

D. C. Hugaboon, one of the worthy citizens of Conneaut, and for many years conductor on the Nickel Plate Railroad, dates his birth in Erie County, Pennsylvania, October 12, 1852.

His parents were James and Mary (Russell) Hugaboon, natives of Vermont and Pennsylvania respectively.  His father was engaged in farming and stock-raising in Pennsylvania, and at one time made a specialty of fine horses.  He was well known in his county as a man of the strictest integrity, and fully lived up to his high ideas of morality.  He died June 13, 1868, at the age of sixty-one years.  His wife passed away May 14, 1880, aged forty-six.  Of their family we make the following record: Mary, the oldest, is the widow of W. D. Feidler, and lives in Erie; Helen M., wife of G. N. Johnson, is also a resident of Erie; Margaret, wife of T. H. Collins, lives in Ashtabula; Nettie, who died at the age of twenty-eight, was the wife of H. R. Bissell; Frances Lillian died at the age of twenty-three years; Charles J., a resident of Erie, is machinist in the Erie & Pittsburgh Railroad shops.

D. C. Hugaboon, the fourth born in his father's family, remained on the home farm until he was eighteen years old.  At that time he entered upon a railroad career.  He served four years as brakeman and has ever since been a conductor.  He was on the Erie & Pittsburgh until 1883, since which time he has been on the Nickel Plate, with the exception of the winter of the Ashtabula disaster.  At that time he was braking on the Lake Shore Railroad.  That night the engine of the freight, on which he was employed, was taken from the train to assist a passenger, there being deep snow and a heavy storm.  This gave him and his fellow brakeman,, William Burrell, a chance to take a much needed sleep.  They were in the caboose when the wreck occurred.  They were awakened by the pumpman and told of the disaster, and at once hastened to the scene.  Only one man had reached the wreck before them, and he, with ax in hand, stood appalled at the sight before him.  Mr. Hugaboon, rushing up and taking the ax from his hand, knocked open the door of a sleeper and, unaided, carried six of the passengers to a place of safety before the fire reached that car.  In other cars he found trunks of human beings with head and limbs burned off, and the screams of the injured and dying rose above the storm of the night.  He carried out a child which was still living, though perhaps unconscious, its legs being burned off below the knees.  For six hours in the slush and snow he worked, thinking all the time that his sister might be the next he would carry out of the wreck, for he thought she was on the train.  She and her husband went to Erie, expecting to board that train, but, owning to its lateness and the extreme cold and severe storm, they returned home, and were thus saved from an awful death.  In all the twenty years of his railroad experience, Mr. Hugaboon says that was the worst night he ever saw for a wreck.

In 1882 he located in Conneaut, and has been here ever since.  His own railroad experience has been a remarkably "lucky" one.  He was never suspended a day in his life, has never had to made out an accident report for a person hurt on his train, and is today the oldest freight conductor on the road.  He was chosen a member of the City Council since coming to Conneaut, and served two years, at the end of that time declining a second term.

Mr. Hugaboon has been twice married.  In 1875 he married Mary C. Uber, daughter of Jacob Uber, of Mercer county, Pennsylvania.  Their only child, Alice May, died at the age of eight years.  The wife and mother died March 10, 1892, aged thirty-six.  She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  He present wife, nee Lydia Brown, is a daughter of Abijah and Emiline (Galloway) Brown, the latter a relative of Hon. Samuel Galloway.  Her father died in 1858, aged fifty-one years, and her mother in 1871, aged fifty-two.  Mrs. Hugaboon is the older of two children.  Her brother Alonzo, a resident of Conneaut, is a decorator and paperhanger.  Mr. Hugaboon and his wife are members of the Christian Church.  He belongs to the Order of Railway Conductors, the I. O. G. T., and the Protective Home circle.  He was formerly a Republican, but now affiliates with the Prohibition party.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

Seth Pease.
    The personal history of Mr. Pease, the most prominent of the surveyors, of the Land Company is but imperfectly transmitted to us.  According to Mr. Atwater, he "was above medium height, slender and fair, with black, penetrating eyes.  In his movements he was very active, and persevering in his designs, with a reflecting and thoughtful air.  He was a very thorough mathematician."
     Fairport, Lake Co., O., Sept. 27, 1843.
     "Seth Pease was my uncle.  He was very precise in his business.  Besides the minutes necessarily returned to the Company, he kept a full private journal.  This I have seen, containing records of personal adventures with colored landscapes, one of which is the first residence of the surveyors at Conneaught.  He also brought to Connecticut, from Ohio, specimens of minerals, which I have seen, among them some beautiful alabaster from Sandusky.  He died at Philadelphia.  His wife died at Connecticut.  The only children now living are Mrs. Noah A. Fletcher, of Washington City, and Alfred Pease, his youngest son, at Dayton, Montgomery County, Ohio.  This journal may have been lost or mislaid."
    His journals, of which a portion for the years 1795 to 1799, inclusive, are before me, show excellent penmanship, and precise business habits.  In 1795 he surveyed for the State of Massachusetts, in the province of Maine.  After the close of the surveys east of the Cuyahoga, in 1797, Mr. Pease, engaged with Porter, Atwater, and others of his enterprising old friends of the woods, in the allotment of the "Holland Purchase," in western New Your.  This service occupied two years, '98 and '99.  The elections of the year 1800, resulted in the success of the "Republican," or Jefferson party, over that of the Federalists.  Under Jefferson's administration, Gideon Granger, became Post Master General, and Mr. Pease, who was a brother-in-law, was made Assistant Post Master General.  Judge Calvin Pease, of Warren, Trumbull County, Ohio, was his brother.  In 1806, when the Indian title to that part of the Reserve west of the Cuyahoga, was extinguished, Seth Pease, was directed by the Government, to extend the southern boundary along the 41st parallel, west of the river, which he did.  There is still hope of recovering more of the memoranda, to which the Hon. Ralph Granger refers.  His skill as a draftsman and sketcher, and his facility in description will give them interest.

(Transribed by Sharon Wick - being taken from Early History of Cleveland, Ohio. publ. 1867)

John P. Reig, a newspaper man of Conneaut, was born at Baldenheim, CAnton de Markolzhiem, France, April 18, 1840, was an only child, and was left an orphan at the age of fourteen years.  He attended the public schools the number of years required by law, and afterward was placed under a private tutor to fit himself for college.  Becoming restless, and having an uncle living in Warren, Pennsylvania, he conceived the idea of coming to America.  At the age of fifteen years he found himself in Warren, possessed of a fair education in German and French, but entirely ignorant of the English language.  He attended the public schools for six months, in the meantime looking about for some kind of employment that would suit his taste, when he finally entered the printing office of D. W. C. James, and learned the "art preservative of arts."  In 1861 he purchased the office of the Conneaut Reporter, and has ever since been at the head of that office and been a resident of Conneaut.

June, 12, 1861, Mr. Reig married Julia K. Brooks, of Erie, Pennsylvania, and they have four children: Frank F., born May 8, 1863; Mary S., December 15, 1865; John B., December 5, 1872; Florence F., October 28, 1881.

(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

H. P. Pitcher, a photographer of Conneaut, Ohio, has long been identified with the interests of this place, having an established reputation as a skilled photographer and also being regarded as a most worthy citizen.

Mr. Pitcher was born in Trumbull county, Ohio, October 2, 1847, and when quite young came with his parents to Ashtabula county.  His parents, E. B. and Esther Pitcher, were born in New York State.  His father is a farmer by occupation, has resided at Pierpont for the past forty years, and is well known all over the county.  He is a member of the Congregational Church.  His wife died when her son, H. P., was a child.  They were the parents of four children.  Mr. Pitcher remained on the farm with his father until he was about twenty years of age.  When a young man, and soon after the war, he came to Conneaut to learn photography, and has been engaged in that business here ever since, with the exception of six years spent in Madison, Ohio.

He was married Christmas, 1872, to Miss Jennie Press, of Conneaut, and has three children, namely:  J. E., aged seventeen, is news agent on the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern Railroad; Ralph Hubert, aged eight years; and Margaret Louisa, aged four.

Mr. Pitcher is a member of the Protected Home Circle and also of the Junior Order of American Mechanics.  In politics, like his father, he adheres to the principles of the Republican party.

Mrs. Pitcher is a daughter of James and Phebe (Olds) Press, her father a native of Canada, and her mother of Ashtabula county, Ohio.  When the former was one year old he was taken by his parents to New York State, where he was reared and married, and where he lived until 1865, when he moved to Conneaut.  Following are the names of their seven children:  Mary, widow of Oscar Gifford, has two children, Minnie and Jay, and resides in Conneaut; John, married, and a resident of New York; Ezekiel, married, and living in New York, has one child, Elizabeth, married and a resident of California; James W., who married Candice Proctor, resides in Conneaut, their children being George, Willie (who died at the age of twelve years), Carl and Mabel; Henry, who died October 3, 1876, left a widow whose maiden name was Flora Fenton, and who is now Mrs. I. Sanders; Mrs. H. P. Pitcher; and Frank, a farmer in Conneaut township, is married and has one child, Hattie.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

Dr. Edward D. Merriam, of Conneaut, Ohio, and now the oldest resident practitioner in Ashtabula county, was born at Niagara Falls in CAnada West, December 11, 1827, son of Joseph and Clara (Hudson) Merriam.

Joseph Merriam was born in Pittsfield, Massachusetts and was descended from a family noted for longevity.  He was by trade a cabinet and fanning-mill maker and was also engaged in farming.  At an early day he went to Canada, where he lived for a number or years.  About 1860, he came to Conneaut, and died at the home of his son, Dr. Merriam, in 1866, aged eighty-four years.  The Doctor's mother was a native of Kinderhook, New York, and was a schoolmate of Martin VanBuren.  In her girlhood days she gave her heart to Christ and became a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, with which she remained in loving communion the rest of her life, her death occurring in 1869, at the age of eighty-three years.  She was married to Mr. Merriam January 11, 1804.  Following are the names of their children:  Edward B., who died at the age of eleven years and nine months; Caroline Eliza, wife of Sayre Beach, died in 1892, leaving six children: Sarah Maria, now Mrs. Stevenson, was born in 1817, and is now residing in Illinois; Henry Douglas, born in 1819, died in 1821; John H., who was born in 1824, is now in company with his son, running a planing mill in Conneaut; Dr. E. D., whose name heads this article; and Charles Wesley, who was born in 1831, and who died in London.  He had gone to Australia to prospect for gold, was taken sick, and on his way home died, in London, May 3, 1855.  He was a member of the Masonic fraternity and was buried by the order he loved.  Mrs. Merriam was a member of the distinguished family of Hudsons in New York, a descendant of Henry Hudson, in honor of whom the Hudson river was named.

Dr. Merriam went to Buffalo when he was twelve years old, and at the age of sixteen began the study of medicine in that city, under the instruction of Dr. Horace M. Congar.  He attended the first course of medical lectures ever delivered in Buffalo, by Doctors Flint, White and Hamilton, eminent men of their day, all now deceased.  After completing his course, Dr. Merriam began the practice of his profession in Bufalo in the spring of 1852.  This was in the Cholera season, and his first calls were to attend cholera patients, in the treatment of which malady he had considerable experience.  In 1853, he came to Conneaut, and has been engaged in practice here ever since.  Dr. Merriam is a member of the County and State Medical Societies, and has been Health Officer of the city ever since his office was established.  He has also served as a member o the City Council.  He has taken an active interest in the educational affairs of Conneaut and for many years has been a member of the School Board.  Dr. Merriam entered the service of the Union army in the spring of 1862, as acting assistant surgeon.  His first service was at Pittsburg Landing, where he had charge of the Second Indiana Cavalry; later he was in charge of General Nelson's division at Shiloh hospital.  From there he was assigned to the field hospital at Monterey, Tennessee, where he remained about a month.  By reason of failing health he resigned this charge and returned home.

May 2, 1855, Dr. Merriam was united in marriage to Miss Phoebe A., a daughter of General Henry and Vesta Keyes, who were prominent and highly honored pioneers of Ohio.  General Keyes had been twice married and had three children by his first wife and seven by his second, who was the mother of Mrs. Merriam.  The children of the first marriage were:  Henry P., Alvin C. and Mary C.; thos of the second were: Marcus B., Martin B., Charles W., Elias A., Phoebe A., Russell M., and Milo O.  General Keyes was at one time an extensive land-owner.

To Dr. and Mrs. Merriam four children were born, two of whom attained maturity.  Henry and Clara died in infancy; Charles K. followed in the footsteps of his father, studied medicine and became a physician.  He was for some time successfully engaged in the drug business in Illinois, but, on account of failing health, he returned to Conneaut, where he died, June 15, 1892, at the age of thirty-five years.  His widow is a daughter of Dr. Bokes.  Dr. Merriam's only daughter, Miss Carrie M., is an artist of some note, both in painting and music.

Politically, the Doctor votes for the Republican party; fraternally, he is a member of the blue lodge and chapter, A. F. & A. M., and has served as Master of the lodge.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

E. Risdon, a venerable citizen of Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Genesee county, New York, November 20, 1820, son of Almore and Cyhthia Risdon, both natives of that county.

Almore Risdon was a man of prominence in his day.  He filled the office of County Sheriff in Genesee county.  In 1833 he came West and settled in Vermillion, Erie county, Ohio, where he opened up a farm and was engaged in agricultural pursuits the rest of his life.  He was accidentally drowned in the Huron river in 1835, aged forty-four years.  His first wife, the mother of our subject, died in 1822, at the age of twenty-five, leaving three children:  George, and E. and Eliza, twins.  George, a prominent farmer of Erie county, Ohio, died January 26, 1893, aged seventy-five years, leaving a widow, Charity (Goldsmith) Risdon, and four sons and five daughters.  By his second wife, Elcina (Lewis) Risdon, the father of our subject had two sons and four daughters, all deceased except one son.  The mother of these children died some time in '50s.

In early life, Mr. Risdon sailed the lake and superintended a dredging-machine in the employ of the United States for four years, and for Her Majesty's Government in Canada for a little more than twelve years, performing faithful and efficient service.  He took out every coffer-dam from Ogdensburg to Montreal.  After leaving government employ, he located at Conneaut, and engaged in ship carpentering.  This was in 1858.  He worked at that business for a period of thirty years, at the same time being interested in farming operations.  Mr. Risdon's first visit to Conneaut was in 1835, and since 1837 he has called this place his home.  For fifty years he has voted the Democratic ticket here.  For the past five years he has conducted the Street Commissioner twelve years, and was Marshal about six years.

Mr. Risdon was married in 1844, to Miss Lucretia M. Fredericks.  Her father, John Fredericks, a Hollander by birth, was a soldier in Bonaparte's war.  He went on board an English vessel came to America, and at New York deserted.  He lived to be ninety-three years of age, dying about 1867.  His wife died twenty years before.  They had a family of four sons and three daughters, six of whom are now living.  Mr. and Mrs. Risdon five daughters,, namely: Harriet, wife of Glover Ashley, has three children.  Frederick, Lulie and Freddie; Emma Jane, a member of the home circle; Mary, wife of John Cummins, of the Conneaut Canning Factory, has four children, Thomas R., Mabel, Margaret and Robert; Clara, wife of Burton Thayer, has four children, Lee, Alice, Hazel and Harry; and Helen, wife of Burt Capron, has one child, Bertha.

Mr. and Mrs. Risdon are attendants of the Presbyterian Church.  He has long been identified with the Masonic fraternity, being a member of the blue lodge, chapter, council and commandery; has been Tyler in the four bodies for twenty years, and during all this time has never missed more than half a dozen meetings.  He has attended all the conclaves until the one at Denver last year, and has been in all the State conclaves.  Mr. Risdon is also a member of the Knights of Honor, of which organization he is second officer and a Steward.  Few men in Conneaut are better known or have more friends than Mr. Risdon.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

M. B. Keyes, agent for the American Express Company at Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Conneaut, November 4, 1831, son of General Henry and Vesta (Bates) Keyes, both natives of Massachusetts.  General Keys, in 1815.  His father bought a large tract of land and engaged in farming, and also ran a sawmill and gristmill.  He died in March, 1822.  The venerable mother lived until 1853, when she died at the age of eighty-nine years.  Henry Keyes was their only child, and inherited considerable property.  He was a prosperous business man, giving his attention chiefly to the management of his large milling and farming interests.  At one time he had an interest in a store, in partnership with Messrs. Woodbury and Bloss.  He was first married to Miss Mary Cole, of New Marlborough, Massachusetts.  They had three children, namely:  Henry P. and Alvin C. both residents of Cedar Rapids, Iowa; and Mary Cole Grant, widow of Edward Grant.  Mr. Grant was killed March 23, 1850, by the explosion of the steamboat Troy, near Buffalo, and his body was not recovered until nine weeks afterward.  He was twenty-eight years of age, and left one child, Julia E., who died in 1877, aged thirty-one years.  General Keyes' first wife died in December, 1824, at the age of twenty-eight years.  His second marriage was consummated July 9, 1829, with Miss Vesta Bates, and this union resulted in the birth of seven children, as follows:  Marcus, deceased, was twice married, first to Louisa Gordon, and after her death to Frances Beach, and by his last wife had two children, Henry (deceased) and Louisa;  M. B., the subject of this sketch; Charles William, who died in 1854; Elias Asa, of Columbus, Ohio, has been twice married, first to Charlotte Fenton, who died in 1877, leaving one child, Marcus William, and afterward to Miss Alice Miller, of that city; Phoebe, wife of Mr. Merriam; Rev. Russell Melzo Keyes, a Congregational minister, married Mrs. Catherine Smith, and has had two children, Sarah and Vesta, the latter being deceased; and Milo, a railroad conductor, who resides in Jefferson City, Missouri.  The parents of this large family of children have both passed away.  The father was born November 16, 1793, and died July 21, 1873.

M. B. Keyes received his education in his native town.  He was engaged in farming for a time, next was steward on a lake steamboat, and afterward engaged in the general merchandise business with his brother, Marcus B., at Beloit, Wisconsin, under the firm name of Keyes, White & Co.  This association continued for four years, and was closed out in 1858.  Then, after a short time spent in Chicago, he went to Pike's Peak, prospecting for gold; but not meeting with any great success he returned to Conneaut a year later.  At this time he engaged in the grocery business, and also became agent for the American Express Company.  The grocery he soon afterward disposed of, but he has been in the express business ever since, for a period of twenty-seven years.  That he has performed the duties of this important position for so long a time is sufficient proof of his integrity and business ability.  He was appointed Postmaster under President Grant, and held that position for fourteen years, retiring from the office in 1887.

Mr. Keyes was married in Chicago, in 1857 the duties of this important position for so long a time is sufficient proof of his integrity and business ability.  He was appointed Post master under President Grant, and held that position for fourteen years, retiring from the office in 1887.

Mr. Keyes was married in Chicago, in 1857, to Miss Anna E. Loyd, daughter of Alex. Loyd, of that city.  They have had two children:  Charles L., who is in the office with his father; and Grace, who died at the age of eleven months.

Politically, Mr. Keyes has long been a Republican.  Socially, he affiliates with the blue lodge, chapter and council, F. & A. M., and is also a member of the Knights of Honor and the Royal Templars.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

<PREVIOUS>             <NEXT>




This page was created by Sharon Wick 2003