affiliated with Ohio Genealogy Express



William E. Bender, a conductor on the Nickel Plate Railroad, resides at Conneaut, Ohio, where he is well known and much respected.  Following is a sketch of his life and ancestry:

William E. Bender was born in Fostoria, Ohio, May 18, 1856, son of Captain William H. and Prudence E. (Doke) Bender, natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio respectively.  William H. was a son of Samuel and Sarah (Kinsey) Bender, of Pennsylvania, the former dying in December, 1892, at the age of eighty-two years, and the latter still living, aged eighty-one.  He was the oldest of their family of five sons and three daughters, the others being as follows:  John, an attorney of Fostoria; Rev. Daniel, a minister in the United Brethren Church, stationed at Westerville, Ohio; David, Charles and Henry, farmers at Coldwater, Michigan; Mary; Libbie; and Amanda.

William H. Bender had a good education and taught sixteen terms of school in Ohio.  Subsequently he was a commercial man in the employ of ex-Governor Charles Foster, for many years, until the war opened, when he enlisted, in 1862, in Company I, One Hundred and Twenty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, entering the service as a Lieutenant and six months later being promoted to a captaincy.  He was wounded in the battle of Winchester, receiving a shot through both hips, and with many others was captured.  He was taken to Libby, then transferred to Andersonville and later to Columbia, South Carolina, where he died of yellow fever, after an illness of three days, having been a prisoner sixteen months.  His treatment while in prison was horrible in the extreme.  His remains rest in the national cemetery at Columbia, South Carolina.  He was a valiant soldier and a princely man.  As a husband and father he was affectionate and devoted; as a citizen he was held in high esteem; as a soldier he was magnanimous, brave and true.  His death was almost as a personal bereavement to all who knew him.  He was married at Fostoria, in 1855, and some time after his death his widow became the wife of his brother, Jeremiah Bender.  William E., the subject of this sketch, is the oldest of three children, his two sisters being Effie Augustus, wife of Chance Reynold, of Fremont, Ohio; and Frances, wife of W. F. Boley, a teacher in Fostoria.  Mr. and Mrs. Reynold have two children: Georgia and Bessie.

The subject of our sketch has been engaged in railroading since 1872.  He began as brakeman on the Lake Erie & Western, being in the employ of that company six months.  Then he was brakeman on the Columbus, Hocking Valley & Toledo nineteen months, after which he was in the employ of the Chicago & Alton eight months, four months as brakeman and four months as extra conductor.  In the fall of 1881 he began service with the (MORE TO COME)
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

Harlay N. Bushnell, one of the substantial farmers and highly respected citizens of Ashtabula county, Ohio, is the subject of this article.  His father, Sedgewick Bushnell, was born in Connecticut, October 15, 1787.  When he was seven years old he went to Vermont, and from there subsequently came to Ohio, settling in Ashtabula county, where he died in 1880, on his birthday.  He had limited educational advantages in his youth, but was a close observer, made the best of his opportunities, and during his lifetime secured a store of useful information.  He led the life of a successful farmer.  In politics, he was successively a Whig, Free Soiler and Republican.  At various times he held local offices.  For a number of years he was a member of the Congregational Church, and was a man whose life accorded with his profession.  During the latter part of his life he was grievously afflicted, but bore his suffering with fortitude and Christian heroism, never murmuring.  He was blind for nine years, and for five years of that time was a paralytic.  At the time he came here this township was called Salem, and it was afterward changed to Monroe, in honor of President Monroe.  Sedgewick Bushnell was a soldier during the war of 1812, and afterward was a pensioner of that war.  He was the son of Abram and Mary Bushnell, the latter's maiden name being Ensign.  They were natives of Connecticut, and for a number of years were residents of Vermont.  Both died on their farm in the latter State.  The Bushnells are of English descent.  Three brothers of this name came to America from England during Colonial times, and their posterity has spread out over the various States of the nation.

Rhoda (Swain) Bushnell, the mother of our subject, was born in New Hampshire, being the daughter of Phineas and Jane Swain.  April 2, 1809, she was married to Mr. Bushnell, with whom she went from New Hampshire to Vermont.  As time passed by sons and daughters grew up around her, the names of her children being as follows:  Sidney S., deceased; Lucia, wife of S. A. Boughton, is deceased; Marcia, wife of B. B. Gifford, is deceased; Mary J., wife of D. S. Gifford, is deceased; John W., deceased; Harlay N.; Charlotte P., wife of S. A. Boughton, deceased; Corydon L., deceased; and Hollice, who died at the age of two years.

Harlay N. Bushnell was born in 1821, on the farm where he now lives.  He was reared here, and after he grew up built a house upon the farm.  In this domicile he lived for fifteen years.  At the end of that time he bought the farm and moved back to the old homestead.  December 2, 1846, he married Sarah C. Burrell, a native of Ashtabula county.  Her parents, John and Sylvia (Waterous) Burrows, natives of Saybrook, Connecticut, emigrated to Ashtabula county, Ohio, in 1810, making the journey to their Western home by a wagon.  Both parents died here.  Her father was a miller.  They had seven children, six daughters and one son.  Mr. and Mrs. Bushnell have three children, namely: Marcia C., wife of Charles H. Morse, of Monroe township;  Lucia R., wife of J. B. Hill, residing on the old home place with her father; and Elvira A., wife of James Lafferty, also of Monroe township.

Mr. Bushnell started out in life a poor boy, and without any assistance whatever, worked his way to success.  He is now the owner of ninety acres of well-improved land.  He casts his vote and influence with the Republican party, and for fifteen years has served the public as Justice of the Peace.  He has also filled other local offices.  During the Civil war he was for a short time in the State service.  He is a man of genial disposition and generous impulses, and few men in this vicinity hold a higher place in the esteem of their fellow citizens.  Mrs. Bushnell is a member of the Baptist Church, and Mr. Bushnell, although not a member, is in sympathy with church work.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

rof. C. E. Carey
, Superintendent of Schools, Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Dutchess county, New York, November 20, 1860, son of John and Julia (Williams) Schoonover, both natives of New York.

John Schoonover, leaving his wife and four children, enlisted in the army at Stanford, New York, August 28, 1862, for three years, and was mustered into Company C, One Hundred and Fiftieth New York Volunteer Infantry, as a private, October 11, 1862.  During his absence in the war, in the early part of 1864, his wife died, leaving her little ones to the care of friends and relatives.  About three months after her death, news of the father's death reached them.  He died at Louisville, Kentucky, June 28, 1864, aged forty years.  He was a man of sterling qualities, was in the prime of a vigorous manhood, and freely gave his life for his country.  Of his army experience little is known.  Three of the Schoonover children were reared and educated by three of their mother's sisters, each taking the name of the aunt who reared him, and all growing up to occupy honorable positions in life.  Of them we make the following record:

William, the oldest, retained the name of Schoonover.  He married and settled in life, and his untimely death occurred at the age of twenty-six years.

Richard S. Thomas, the second-born, has been a teacher ever since he was fifteen years old.  For two years he was superintendent of the Jefferson, Ohio, schools, and is now superintendent of the schools at Warren, Ohio.  He married Miss Stella Saxton, of Madison, this State.

Calvin T. Northrop, the third of the family is also a teacher.  He has been engaged in this profession for the past thirteen years in the schools of Ohio, and is now superintendent of the Garrettsville schools.

C. E. Carey is the youngest.  He and his brothers are all prominently identified with the leading educators of the State, and wherever known their scholarly attainments and ability as instructors and organizers have been recognized.

The subject of this sketch received his education at Cazenovia and Syracuse, New York.  He first began teaching in the country schools, and taught there several terms.  Then he was two years at Masonville, New York, and in 1885 located in Conneaut, where he has since been superintendent of schools, having rendered a high degree of satisfaction here.  He is a member of the County Examining Board and also of the Board of Health.  Professor Carey's being selected for these important positions and his long continuance here are ample proof of his qualifications.

He was married February 25, 1885, to Miss Elsie M. Smith, daughter of Frederick W. and Electa M. (Wells) Smith.  His parents are natives of New York, and her father is a farmer in that State.  Of their family we make record as follows:  Mrs. Carey is the oldest; Olivia died in 1872, aged eighteen years; Hosea died at the age of six months; Fred W., a New York farmer, married Mattie Vail and has one child; Jennie B., wife of John Hochtitzky, has three children; Addie died at the age of two years; Delia died in childhood; Jessie, wife of Fred Ostrander; and Frank A., at home.  Mrs. Carey's grandfather was Hosea Smith.

The Professor and his wife have one child, Charles Schronover Carey.  They are members of the Congregational Church, and he is also identified with the Masonic fraternity, being W. M. of the blue lodge.  Politically he is a Republican.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

Ira F. Case, yard master of the Nickel Plate Railroad at Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, November 15, 1862.

His parents were Orson and Rhoda A. (Wilmarth) Case, both natives of Pennsylvania.  His father was a soldier in the Army of the Potomac during the late war, serving several years.  Previous to the war he conducted farming operations, and afterward was engaged in railroading, beginning as yard master and subsequently serving as baggage master.  He continued as baggage master up to the time of his death, April 24, 1891, aged sixty-eight years.  From his boyhood up he was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, his whose life being characterized by honesty and industry.  His widow is a resident of Pennsylvania.  She is a member of the Universalist Church.  Of their three children we make record as follows:  Orney E., the oldest is a conductor on the Delaware, Lackawanna & Western Railroad, having been on the road for nine years; Ira F., the subject of this sketch; and George M., a farmer in Susquehanna county, Pennsylvania, has a large stone quarry on his farm, to which he gives considerable attention and which affords him a handsome income. 

Ira F. Case was reared on a farm in his native county.  At the age of fifteen he began learning telegraphy at Foster, Pennsylvania, and remained there six months.  Then he had charge of different offices along the line until he obtained a steady situation at Homer, New York, remaining at that place a year and a half.  After this he served as station agent on the Western New York & Pennsylvania Railroad for three years.  Then he served as brakeman on the same road, and subsequently as conductor on the Buffalo & Southwest.  Sine 1888 he has been in the employ of the Nickel Plate at Conneaut, first as yard conductor and then as yard master, his present position.

Mr. Case was married in New York, October 8, 1884, to Mrs. Sarah J. Thompson daughter of Samuel Peacock, native of Canada.  They have one child, Myrtle E.  Mrs. Case is a member of the Christian Church.

He affiliates with the Democratic party, and is a member of the Brotherhood of Railway Trainmen of Conneaut.

George H. Cleveland,(1) a retired merchant of Conneaut, Ohio, was born at this place November 18, 1840, son of Cyrus and Ann Eliza (Latimer) Cleveland, the father a native of Fair Haven, Vermont, and the mother of Dryden, New York.

Cyris Cleveland, late of Conneaut, was well known in this vicinity and was highly respected by all.  He was born in Rutland county, Vermont, in 1807, and at the age of sixteen was left an orphan, dependent upon his own exertions and the kindness of an older brother.  He made his home with his brother at Saratoga, New York, for three years.  AT the age of nineteen he started out in life on his own responsibility, working by the month, and after he had saved $60 he returned to Saratoga and entered into a co-partnership with his brother in the general merchandise business.  This partnership lasted two years, at the end of which time he purchased his brother's interest, and continued the business five years longer.  It was while he was in Saratoga that he married Miss Latimer, who proved herself a helpmate to him not only in name but also in deed.  They had two sons, both now residents of Conneaut.

In 1833, we find Mr. Cleveland established in business at Conneautville, Pennsylvania, where he remained two years, coming from there to Conneaut, Ohio, in 1835.  In 1836, he became the landlord of the Mansion House, then the hotel of Conneaut, and had fairly good success, but the business was not congenial to his taste and he relinquished it at his earliest opportunity.  In 1837, his brother Oliver and family came to Conneaut, and the same year Messrs. Cyrus and John B. Cleveland commenced to erection of the building where Mariam's planing-mill now stands.  When it was completed they filled it with goods, and carried on business for fourteen years.  During these years Cyrus was the active manager and did nearly all the business.  From 1851 until 1862, he was in business by himself, was very successful and accumulated property rapidly.  In 1862, he took in his youngest son as partner.  In 1861, he began the erection of the block which bears his  name and which at that time was the best in the county.  The substantial structure is still an ornament to the city.  He also owned and occupied on of the finest residences in the county.  Besides accumulating a large amount of property, he gave liberally of his means toward advancing the best interests of the town.  He was the first president of the Conneaut Mutual Loan Association.  Mr. Cleveland continued in business here until 1868, when he retired.  His death occurred March 5, 1892.  He was a man loved and respected by all who ever had the pleasure of his acquaintance.  He was possessed of a strong constitution, a vigorous intellect and a cheerful disposition.  In the family circle he was a kind husband and an indulgent father; in church work he was earnest, and in business enterprising and progressive.  Mrs. Cleveland also lived to an advanced age, her death occurring in 1891, aged eighty-two years.  Hers was the first death in the family for a period of sixty-three years.  For over sixty years she was a member of the Baptist Church.  She was a conscientious Christian, always ready and willing to assist in all good works for the Master and for humanity.  She and her worthy husband had a happy married life of more than sixty hears, by their many amiable qualities made hosts of friends, and their memory will long be cherished with grateful affection.

G.  H. Cleveland, with whose name this article begins, attended school at Conneaut and also received instruction under Prof. Brayton at Painesville.  In early life he engaged in business with his father, and continued in mercantile life until 1882.  After his father retired he was a member of the firm of Cleveland, Benton & Cheney, and subsequently did business under his own name, closing out about 1882.  From the spring of 1891 until the spring of 1892, he was proprietor of the Commerical House.

He was married December 16, 1863, to Miss Lydia A Stafford of Cleveland, Ohio, daughter of Samuel and Hannah (Kelly) Stafford.  They have four children, namely, Minnetta E., Merrit C., Laura H. and Clarence S.; Merrit married Miss Frances Adair.

Mr. Cleveland is a member of Evergreen Lodge A. F. & A. M.; Conneaut Chapter Council and Commandery, being a charter member of the Commandery; is a member of the Order of the Elks, and in politics joins issue with the Democratic party.  In every way he is an honorable and upright man, progressive and public-Spirited.  To him have been transmitted many of those sterling qualities of mind and heart that characterized and ennobled his worthy ancestors.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)
(1) See George H. Cleveland in 1880 Census Conneaut, Ashtabula Co., OH, pg. 384C

C. J. Cronin, a conductor on the Nickel Plate Railroad, residing at Conneaut, Ohio, is a native of Chautauqua county, New York, born March 14, 1853.  His parents, John and Margaret (Haley) Cronin, were born, reared and married in Ireland, and came to America some time in the '40s, settling at Dunkirk, New York.  His father was a tanner by trade.  Both parents have passed away, the father dying at Cherry Creek, New York, at about the age of fifty years, and the mother living to be about sixty-five.  They had a family of nine children, C. J. being among the youngest.

At about the age of fourteen years the subject of our sketch entered upon a seafaring life, beginning as deck boy, being promoted to ordinary seaman and three years later to seaman.  For more than a dozen years he sailed on the briny deep, and during that time visited nearly all the principal ports of the world.  From 1870 until 1882 his home was Erie, and during the warm weather he sailed on the lakes.  The only serious shipwreck he was in in all these years was on Lake Huron.  He was on the Francis Berryman, Captain William Norris, and about eleven o'clock on a moonlight night this vessel was run down by the steam barge Coffinbury and struck forward of the fore rigging.  Two men were killed or drowned and were never seen afterward.  The trouble was caused by a misunderstanding between officers, the steam barge being responsible the damages.

Mr. Cronin began railroading in 1880, as brakeman on the Lake Shore Railroad, and continued as such for two years.  In 1882 he began service on the Nickel Plate, with which company he as since remained, having served three years as brakeman and the past eight years as freight conductor.  In all his railroad experience he has never had an accident that cost the company a dollar.  His career has been one marked by the closest attention to business and the interest of his employers.

Mr. Cronin was married December, 28, 1881, to Miss Margaret Griffin, daughter of Tarrence and Margaret Griffin, natives of Ireland.  Mr. and Mrs. Cronin have four bright children, Anna May, Frank, Charles and Margaret, of whom they are justly proud.  After having spent much of his life on the sea and in foreign climes, Mr. Cronin knows how to appreciate his comfortable and happy home.  He and his wife are members of the Catholic Church, and in politics he affiliates with the Democratic party.  He is a man of pleasing address, is an entertaining converser, and is popular with the Brotherhood, of which he is Assistant Chief.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

Rev. Henry H. Emmett, Pastor of the First Baptist Church of Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Maine, Jan. 31, 1853.
     His parents were Peter J. adn Catherine J. (Lombard) Emmett both natives of Maine.  His father was born in 1808, was for many years in the employ of the Hudson Bay Company, and is still hale and hearty.  His mother was born in 1819, daughter of Rev. Richard and Eunice (Sawyer) Lombard, her father being the youngest son of the youngest son of Earl of Lombard.  Richard Lombard was for fifty years in the itinerancy of the East Maine Methodist Episcopal Conference being for several years the pastor of Pine street and Cedar street churches in Portland, Maine.  He died at the age of seventy-six years on the Great Chebeaque island in Casco bay.  His wife died on the same island, aged seventy years.  She was a member of the Methodist Church from her girlhood.  Mrs. Peter J. Emmett was a popular and successful teacher for many years, and is a woman of rare intelligence and culture.  The three children composing their family are Gordon, a contractor and builder in New York; Arietta, wife of Henry Williams, of New York; and Henry H.
     Mr. Emmett had excellent educational advantages in his youth.  His early training was received chiefly in private schools.  After leaving school he was employed as clerk in Scranton, Pennsylvania, for more than a year.  Then he entered the ministry.  This was in 1877, and he has devoted his time to the spread of the gospel ever since.  He was licensed to preach at La Fargeville, New York, in 1878, and was ordained pastor of the Baptist Church at Sandy creek, New York, January 12, 1881.  Sine that time he has been pastor of several churches in New York, namely, Gaines, Murray, Carlton and Warsaw, then coming to Conneaut and taking charge of the Baptist Church.  Conneaut is his first Ohio charge, During his pastorate her his work has been of the most substantial character, both the church and Sunday-school having increased very materially.
     In the temperance cause Mr. Emmett is an earnest worker, occupying positions of honor and responsibility.  He is Past Grand Patriarch of the Sons of Temperance of Western New York, and is Post Grand Chaplain of the I. O. G. T.  He is also a member of the K. of P. and Jr. O. U. A. M.
     Mr. Emmett devotes considerable time to literary work, his magazine and newspaper articles being in great demand.  His article in the Homiletic Review of December, 1892, on "The Indian Problem from an Indian Standpoint," has received the highest commendation from the press and from the best scholars of the contry.
     It is, however, as a lecturer that Mr. Emmett has gained the greatest distinction.  Recently he has lectured in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, West Virginia, New York and Pensylvania.  Among the subjects on which he speaks we name the following:  "The North American Indian," "Somebody's Business," "The Boy of Today," "Looking Backward," "Hours with Men and Books," "Three Little Indians," "An Appeal to Caesar," Thou Shalt Not," "Who? Which? WHen?"  "Why Dishonored?" "The Devil's Auction," and "A Nation's Crime."  Through his father he inherits Indian blood, and his lecture on the North American Indian is one in which he has taken particular interest.  He spared neither time nor means in its preparation and wherever he has delivered it he has been highly complimented.  The editor of the Daily Review, of Alliance, Ohio, says of this lecture, "It was a scholarly address, very instructive and spiced with just enough of humor to be quite entertaining."  And from the Gleaner Review, of Shiloh, Ohio, we quote: "Rev. Emmett has a very pleasing address and handles his subject in a masterly manner."
     Personally, he is a man of fine physique, has jet black hair and eyes, and is a brilliant conversationalist.
     His pleasant home is made bright and happy by the presence of his wife and three children:  Frank L., Henry H., Jr., and Sheldon S.  Mrs. Emmett was, before their marriage, Miss Emily Augusta Waugh.  Her father, Rev. Lyman G. Waugh, was for fifty years in the itinerancy of the Northern New York Methodist Episcopal Conference.  Both he and his wife are deceased.  Mrs. Emmett is a member of the Baptist Church and is in full sympathy with her husband's noble work.
     Such is a brief sketch of one of the most popular ministers and eloquent lecturers of his day. 

George L.  Felch, who has been identified with the business interests of Ashtabula county, for many years, is one of her leading citizens, and as such it is imperative that some personal mention be made of him in this work.  The following data in regard to his life and ancestry have been secured:

George L. Felch was born in New Hampshire, in 1837, son of Ezekial Felch, who was born in that same State in 1799.  The latter moved to Ohio in 1842 and located in Monroe township, Ashtabula county, where he passed the rest of his life and where his death occurred in 1870.  Previous to his coming to Ohio he was a seaman, but after locating in Monroe township he turned his attention to farming, in which occupation he was very successful.  His father, Nicholas Felch, was a farmer in New Hampshire.  The Felch family are of Welsh descent, dating their arrival on American soil back to the Colonial period.  Judith S. Swain was the maiden name of our subject's mother.  She was to a native of New Hampshire, as also were her parents.  Ezekiel Felch and his wife departed this life some years ago.  They are buried at Kelloggsville.  Of their family we make record as follows:  Sarah J., the oldest, now deceased, was twice married, first to Robert Craft, and after his death to Alsop Sage; John, deceased; Emeline E., wife of Daniel W. Cram; Irad P., who died in his twenty-fourth year; Dudly S., a resident of Bushnell, Ashtabula county; Samuel V., who resides in Kansas; George L., with whose name we begin this sketch; Harrison F., a member of Company G, One Hundred and Fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry was killed at the battle of Missionary Ridge in 1863.

George L. Felch came with his parents to Ohio in 1842, and remained with them until he reached his majority.  Previous to that time he had received only a common-school education, but after he struck out for himself he determined to pursue his studies further.  He accordingly attended the academies at Kingsville and Conneaut for two or three years.  Then he began teaching school, which occupation he continued until 1862, and had completed arrangements to teach in the academy at Conneaut the very day he enlisted in the Union army.  It was in August, 1862, that he enlisted, and as a member of Company G., One Hundred and Fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, he went to the front.  After thirteen months' service, the exposure and hardships of army life unfitted him for duty, and he was taken to the hospital.  Being intimately acquainted with A. W. Tourgee, First Lieutenant of Company G, Mr. Felch was given special privileges, being allowed to board at the same place with his friend Tourgee at Danville, Kentucky.  In 1863, on account of continued ill-health, he was discharged from the service.

Upon his return home Mr. Felch again engaged in teaching.  He had at this time completely lost the use of his right arm.  In 1864 he taught one term in the East Springfield Academy, Pennsylvania; and after that was employed at Hiram College two years, James A. Garfield being at this time connected with the school as Advising Principal.  From Hiram Mr. Felch came to Monroe township, Ashtabula county, where for two years he taught a select school.  In 1868 he turned his attention to the mercantile business, in partnership with H. F. Hitchcock, in which occupation he has since continued, also being interested in the lumber business and in farming.

He was married in 1880 to Kate S. Ingalls, a native of Ohio.  She was educated in Vineland, New Jersey, and for five years was a teacher in the graded schools of that place.  Her parents, H. R. and Adalin (Randall) Ingalls, were born in New York, lived in Ohio for sometime, and are now residents of Vineland, New Jersey.  They have three children, namely:  Kate; Laura, wife of I. P. Felch, of Bushnell, Ashtabula county; and Fitch H., a resident of Vineland.  Mr. and Mrs. Felch have one child, viz:  Lloyd Ingles, born June 1, 1882, and Ella K., August 9, 1886.

Mr. Felch began life a poor young man and mainly by his own energy and pluck worked his own way to success.  He is now the owner of 260 acres of land, ninety acres of which are under cultivation.  His merchandise stock is valued at from $3,000 to $5,000, and he has lumber interests to the amount of several million.  Politically, he is a Republican.  For fifteen years he has  (MORE TO COME)
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

Elijah GunAlthough Gun, like Stiles, came to Ohio with the surveyors, and spent a large part of his life in the vicinity of Cleveland, his personal history has not been well preserved.  On the approach of old age, he left the pioneer homestead, in Newburg, and removed to the Maumee river, to the residence of his son, near Napoleon, Ohio.  Little has come down to us, of his occupations, and of his trials at Conneaut during the winter of 1796-'7.  Both himself and his wife, appear to have endured the hardships of those days better than many of their cotemporaries.  His cabin, at Conneaut, was about a ile above Stow Castle, on the creek.  He reached a very advanced age, nearly or quite, four score and ten, dying among his kindred, on the banks of the Maumee.
(Transribed by Sharon Wick - being taken from Early History of Cleveland, Ohio. publ. 1867)

Alexander Hay, the popular landlord of the Nickel Plate Eating House, Conneaut, Ohio, is a native of Coshocton county, Ohio, born in 1846.  His parents were Alexander and Mary Hay, the former a native of Maryland and the latter of Pennsylvania.  The senior Mr. Hay was a man of excellent business qualifications, all his active life being spent as a proprietor of a hotel at Coshocton.  He died in 1846.  His wife survived him until August, 1892, when she passed away at the age of seventy-four years.  She was one of the pioneers of Coshocton county, having gone there with her parents when she was a little girl.  From her girlhood she was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and her whole life was characterized by the sweetest of Christian graces.  She had thirteen children, the subject of our sketch being one of the six who are still living.

When the Civil war broke out Mr. Hay was only in his 'teens, and, young as he was, he enlisted, in August, 1861, in Company E, Fifteenth United States regulars.  After the battle of Shiloh, in which he participated, he (MORE TO COME)
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

P. H. Watson, one of the leading business men of Pierpont, Ashtabula county, Ohio, was born at Woodstock, Canada, April 23, 1851, a son of Joseph and Abigail (Hendershot) Watson, the former a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter of Canada.  They were married in that country, where they still reside, the father aged sixty-seven years, and the mother sixty-five years.

P. H. Watson, the eldest of seven children, six sons and one daughter, was reared and educated in his native city.  At the age of twenty years he went to Chautauqua county, New York, where he learned the art of cheese making.  After remaining in that city five years he came to Pierpont, Ohio, where he is now employed as superintendent of the cheese factory, and is considered one of the finest cheese-makers in Ashtabula county.  About 200,000 pounds of cream cheese is manufactured annually, and the product is second to none manufactured in the United States.  Mr. Watson is also engaged in the general mercantile business.

He is united in marriage to Dora Platt, a native of Ohio and a daughter of Henry and Emily Platt.  Mr. Watson affiliates with the Prohibition party.  He was made a Mason in Chautauqua county, New York, in Sylvan Lodge, No. 303, and is now Junior Warden of Relief Lodge, No. 284.  He is also Master of the Grange.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

Fred F. Parker, saddle and harness maker, Conneaut, Ohio, has been identified with the interests of this place for several years and is one of its most worthy and substantial men.  Of his life and ancestry we make the following brief record:

F. F. Parker was born in Hancock county, Ohio, July 24, 1853, son of Abel F. and Sarah A. (Gale) Parker.  His maternal grandfather, Rev. Isaac Gale, was well known as one of the pioneer Methodist ministers of New York.  It is a fact worthy of note here that John Parker, the first man killed in the battle of Lexington, was a relative of this family.

Abel F. Parker was born in Windsor, Vermont, in 1798.  His first adventure was to run away from home and enlist in the war of 1812.  He took part in the battle of Plattsburgh, where he was taken prisoner, but made good his escape a few days afterward.  He read law under the instruction of Judge Ebenezer Mix, and was admitted to the bar sometime in the '30s.  He helped to survey the old Erie canal, and with General Wadsworth assisted in surveying the first railroad line in the United States; this was from Albany to Schenectady.  Moving to Findlay, Ohio he served a number of terms as Prosecuting Attorney of Hancock county, and at a later date was appointed Postmaster of Findlay, and under President Buchanan's administration received the appointment of Commissioner of Insolvents.  He was too old to be accepted in the service of the late war, but went to Cincinnati in the call of the militia as artilleryman.  He had a fine physique, being six feet three and a half inches in height and weighing about 225 pounds.  He died in 1882, at the age of eighty-four years.  He never had any serious sickness.  For many years he was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and was noted for his generosity in the support of all worthy causes; indeed, he was too liberal for his own good.  At one time he was the owner of large tracts of land in the vicinity of Findlay.  His wife was buried on Christmas day, 1865, being fifty-three years of age.  She, too, was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and hers was a beautiful Christian life.  They had three children:  F. F., Robert and Dora.

Mr. Parker was married at Batavia, New York to Miss Maria Strong, by whom he had four children:  Edwin, Albert, Julia and Lucy, - two of whom, Julia and Lucy, are living.  His second marriage was to Sarah, the widow of Benjamin Robinson, of Columbus, Ohio.  She had six children by her first marriage, all of whom are living.  By this second marriage three children were born:  Fred F., the subject of this biography; Dora and Robert, who is a lawyer of Wood county, Ohio.

F. F. Parker was educated in the public Schools of Findlay,  At the age of fourteen years he began to learn the harness business, and has followed it up to the present time.  He was elected a Justice of the Peace in Pleasant township, Hancock county, in 1871, on the Republican ticket in a Democratic township and received a majority of 105 votes.  He was again elected Justice of the Peace, April 20, 1875 in Conneaut, and by a special election, May 7, 1887, was chosen for the same office and served another term.  He was elected Mayor of Conneaut in 1886 and served one term, and at the next election was defeated by only three votes in his race for the same position, his opponent being Mr. Winship.  He was elected again Justice of the Peace in 1893, and later appointed Police Justice, which office he is ably filling.  While he has never sought office, yet when it was thrust upon him Mr. Parker has ever discharged his duty with the strictest fidelity.

He was married in 1870, to Miss Ida Allah Nye, daughter of D. S. and Mary (Star) Nye, the former having been an officer in the army during the late war and now being a grocer and lumber dealer at CArey, Ohio.  They have three children:  Robert, Edith and Edna.

Mr. Parker is identified with the Masonic fraternity.  As is evidenced by his long public service, Mr. Parker is held in high esteem and confidence by his fellow citizens.  It is such men as he that advance public interests and give character and credit to a community.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

Lieutenant John Olmstead, a retired farmer living in Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Delaware county, New York, January 25, 1828.

His parents, James and Hannah (Gilbert) Olmstead, removed from their native State, Connecticut, to New York soon after their marriage.  They established their home and developed a fine farm, on what was then the frontier, there being only five white families in the county of Delaware at the time they settled there.  Mr. Olmstead was keenly alive to the interests of the farm and was engaged in agricultural pursuits all his life.  He died at the age of fifty-five years, honored and respected by all who knew him.  His life was characterized by honesty, simplicity and industry, his word ever being regarded as good as his bond.  His good wife was for many years a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Her parents were Allen and Polly Gilbert, and her father was a cavalry soldier in the Revolutionary war, carrying to his grave the scars he received during that struggle.  Mr. and Mrs. Olmsted had a family of twelve children, the subject of this sketch being the youngest and one of the four who are now living.  The other three are as follows:  Lucy, widow of James Wills, living in New York city; Mary, the widow of Mason Saulisbury, Oswego, New York; and Samuel, a farmer of Delaware county, Iowa.

John Olmsted was reared a farmer, and ghe greater part of his life has been devoted to that occupation.  In 1859 he made the journey to California, via the Isthmus route, returning to New York in 1862 by the way of Central America.  While in the Golden State he was first engaged in mining and afterward in various other pursuits.  In February, 1865, he enlisted, at Oswego, in Company I, One Hundred and Ninety-third New York Volunteer Infantry,and was discharged in February, 1866, his service for the most part being guard duty.  He also assisted in gathering up the Government property through the Shenandoah valley.  His regiment went first to Summit Point, West Virginia, where they remained in camp for three months, being then sent to Cumberland, Maryland, to do guard duty; thence were ordered to Harper's Ferry to dismantle all the adjacent farms there; they then proceded to Winchester to gather up Government property, taking in all the towns along the valley.  They camped for a time at Harrisburg and were then again ordered to Harper's Ferry, whence they returned to Albany, where they were mustered out.  After the war he turned his attention to the oil business in Pennsylvania, in which he was engaged for ten years.  Then he came to Conneaut, and has been interested in farming ever since, being very successful in his operations.  He takes little interest in political matters, never seeking nor accepting office, but always votes the Republican ticket.

Mr. Olmsted was married February 14, 1849, to Miss Hannah M. Saulisbury, daughter of Daniel Saulisbury, of Oswego county, New York.  They had five children, namely: Mary; Frank, who married Eva Robins, has three children, - Homer, Harold and Lottie; Addie, wife of Laurel Stone, has two children, Frank and John; and Nannie, wife of A. F. Gove, has one child, Jennie; and Jennie, who died at Bradford, Pennsylvania, May, 1876.  Mrs. Olmsted died May 6, 1887, aged fifty-six years.  She was a member of the Baptist Church, as are also Mr. Olmsted and two of the daughters.  He has been a Trustee of the Church for many years and is also a member of the G. A. R., Custer Post, No. 9.  He is one of the substantial and highly respected citizens of the county.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

G. E. Coughlan, proprietor of a livery and also dealer in buggies, wagons and harness, Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Erie county, New York, May 8, 1849, son of George and Mary (Ingles) Coughlan, natives of Watertown, New York.

The Ingles family were great musicians and were also noted for their patriotism.  Three of Mrs. Coughlan's brothers were leaders of bands in the Mexican war.  George Ingles, another brother, took part in the Civil war, responding to Lincoln's call for 75,000.  He died in January, 1862.  Albert, her other brother, was an architect.

George Coughlan, the father of our subject, was a farmer, cultivating land on shares.  He was a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he filled all the offices of the layman.  He died in 1882 at the age of seventy-three, honored and respected by all who knew him.  His whose life was characterized by honest industry and Christian acts of kindness.  His wife, also a devoted Christian and a member of the Methodist Church, died when the subject of this sketch was a few years old, he being the youngest of ten children.  Four of this number are still living.  Two of the sons, L. M., and A. M., are engaged in the grocery business in Conneaut, the latter having been at the same location on Main street for the past thirty years.  Only one of the daughters, Frances, is living.

G. E. Coughlan learned the trade of painter in 1869, which trade he followed with good success for nineteen years.  In 1887 he turned his attention to the carriage business, in connection with which he subsequently opened out a livery.  He has a good business, his location being on the corner of Mill and Madison streets.

Mr. Coughlin was married July 19, 1874, to Miss Josephine Bartlett, daughter of Rev. Noah and Harriet (Wilcox) Bartlett, both natives and residents of Conneaut and among the most highly esteemed people of the place.  Mr. and Mrs. Coughlan have one child, Bessie Gertrude.  Mrs. Coughlan is a member of the Episcopal Church.

Politically, Mr. Coughlan affiliates with the Republican party; socially, with the I.O.O.F., being a member of the lodge at Ashtabula.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

Nathaniel Follett, one of the wealthy and influential men of Conneaut township, Ashtabula county, Ohio, dates his birth at Auburn, New York, in 1823.

Gratis Follett, his father, was born in Ballston, New York, in 1792.  From Ballston he moved to the central part of that State, and in 1839 came to Ohio, locating in Pierpont, Ashtabula county, where he spent the residue of his life, and where he died in 1880.  He was a mechanic and worked at his trade in connection with farming.  In politics he was first a Whig and afterward a Republican.  During the war of 1812 he enlisted his services in the American cause and acted as sentinel.  He was one of a family of nine sons and one daughter, his parents being John and Sally Follett.  The Folletts have been residents of America for many generations, having emigrated to this country from England.  Mary (Hunter) Follett, the mother of Nathaniel, was born in New York in 1796, daughter of Francis and Mary (Millord) Hunter.  Her father was a native of Ireland and her mother of Scotland.  Francis Hunter, in company with his two brothers, cam to America during the Revolutionary period.  For some time they were engaged in peddling.  Finally one of them settled in Philadelphia, another in Montreal, and the grandfather of our subject on a farm near Auburn, New York, being the owner of 600 acres of land at that place.  Gratis Follett was married in 1816, and he and his wife became the parents of five children:  Jane, deceased, was the wife of Henry Gaylord, of Pierpont, and had eight children, five of whom survive her; Dorcas, wife of James Tuttle, of Conneaut, Ohio, has had two children, one of whom is living; Nathaniel, whose name appears at the head of this sketch; Francis, who is engaged in farming; and Sarah, widow of Milo Huntley, has three children.

Nathaniel Follett came to Ohio with his parents in 1839, and remained with them until 1849.  He had the benefit of a good education, and during his early life rendered his father efficient service in helping to clear up the farm.  When he married he bought the old home place, comprising 150 acres, and lived upon it until 1889, when he moved to Pierpont.  This farm had been bought of the old Connecticut Land Company.  Since 1890 he has resided at his present location in Conneaut township.

Mr. Follett married Emily M. Bushnell, who was born in Connecticut in 1824, daughter of Lynas and Harriet (Osborne) Bushnell, and who came with her parents to Ohio in 1833, settling in Monroe, Ashtabula county.  Her parents are deceased.  She was the oldest of their five children, the others being: Truman, who died at the age of thirty-eight years; Cordelia, wife of E. B. Ford, is deceased; Rosann, who died at the age of twenty-one; and Martin, who died when sixteen.  Mr. and Mrs. Follett have three children: Idela A., wife of Calvin Austin; Harriet L., wife of W. S. Ashley, has one child; and Frank W., who married Georgie Turner, owns and occupies the old home place above referred to.

Mr. Follett is one of the self-made men of his vicinity, having by his own energy and enterprise accumulated a competency.  Socially, politically and financially, he is ranked with the leading men of his township.  He votes with the Republican party.  For about fifteen year she has been Infirmary Director, and for several years he has also served as Township Trustee and Assessor.  Mrs. Follett is a member of the Baptist Church, and Mr. Follett, although not a member of the church, is one of its active supporters.  Indeed, he is generous in his contributions toward all worthy causes.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

William S. Harris, engineer on the New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad, and a worthy citizen of Conneaut, dates his birth in Jefferson county, this State, August 15, 1843.  His parents, Nathan S. and Susan (Smith) Harris, were natives of Ohio, and for many years were residents of Jefferson county, where they were married and where they reared their family.  Nathan Harris owned a farm and flouring mill, doing custom work.  He was well known and highly respected, and at various times held minor offices in the county.  Both he and his wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  His death occurred October15, 1870, at the age of forty-nine years.  His first wife, the mother of our subject, died August 17, 1859, aged twenty-eight years.  They had seven children, as follows:  William S.; Jennie, wife of Thomas Keiger, Barnesville, Ohio; Anna, wife of Samuel Cecil, died February 2, 1891, aged forty-seven years; Lizzie, wife of E. A. Miller, Conneaut; Emma, wife of Josiah Quillin, died August 3, 1890, aged thirty-eight years; Ella, wife of David McKever, Conneaut; and Susan, wife of H. F. Brown, Conneaut.  By his second marriage, to Anna Clark, Mr. Harris had one daughter, Grace, now the wife of John Shearer, of Leesville, Ohio.  Mrs. Harris makes her home with his daughter.

William S. Harris farmed in Jefferson county until he was twenty-five years old.  He entered upon a railroad career about 1869 as fireman on the Pan Handle, and for the past twenty-two years has been serving as engineer.  He continued with the Pan Handle until 1882, when he resigned his position with that company to accept one with better pay on the Nickel Plate.  No further evidence of his efficiency and fidelity is needed when his long continuance with the company is known.

Mr. Harris was married September 17, 1873, to Miss Anna Mary Andrews, a native of Franklin county, Ohio, and a daughter of John W. and Permelia (Tharp) Andrews.  Her father was born in New Jersey, July 3, 1825, and her mother was a native of Euclid, Ohio.  They were married in Middletown, this State.  Mrs. Harris is the oldest of their six children, the others being as follows:  George, Martin Lewis and James W., the second, third and sixth born, are all married and living in St. Louis, Missouri, all employed as painters.  Joseph H., the fourth born, died in 1852, aged eighteen months; Alice, the fifth, is the wife of George W. Smith, of Cedar Falls, Iowa.  The mother of this family died June 17, 1862, aged thirty-six years.  She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Mr. Andrews' second marriage was to Sarah Smith.  Their two children are Cyrus, a fireman on the Vandalia Railroad, and Ida May, wife of Dr. Beaver, of Decatur, Indiana.  During the late war Mr. Andrews was a member of the Forty-sixth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, serving in Company A, and being in nearly all the battles of the Army of the Potomac.  For some time his health has been poor and he is now in the Soldier's Home at Sandusky, Ohio.  Mrs. Harris is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.  Politically, Mr. Harris affiliates with the Republican party, having cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

William J. Raynor, locomotive engineer on the Nickel Plate Railroad, Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Painesville, Lake County this State, October 17, 1859, son of William E. and Ann (Finneran) Raynor, natives of New York and Ireland respectively.

William E. Raynor was one of the pioneers of Painesville, at which place he was married.  For nearly thirty-five years he has been a railroad engineer, and now, at the age of sixty years, is still in railroad employ, running a switcher.  He and his wife are both members of the Catholic Church.  Following are the names of their children:  Mary Elizabeth, wife of John Garvey, foreman in the Nickel Plate shops at Buffalo, New York; William J.; Charles, an employee on the Nickel Plate, made a misstep between the cars in the dark and was instantly killed, May 10, 1886; Louis has been employed as engineer on the Nickel Plate the past three years; Nellie, wife of William J. Leyer, foreman and bookkeeper for the Erie Show Printing Company, at Erie; Anna; Mamie; John, who died of black diphtheria in October, 1892, at the age of nine years; and three others who died in early childhood.

William J. Raynor started out in life as a plumber and worked at that trade three years.  Since then he has been engaged in railroading.  He began as fireman on the Philadelphia & Erie, was thus employed on that road for five years, and June 14, 1882, was promoted to the position of engineer.  He came to Conneaut in October, 1883, and has made this place his home ever since.  He began service with the Nickel Plate at the time he located here, and his efficiency at once brought him into favor with the company and gained for him a permanent position.

Mr. Raynor was married May 2, 1882, to Mary Foley, daughter of Thomas and Mary Foley, of Painesville, she being a native of Massachusetts.  Her parents were born in Ireland, came to America in early life and were married in Boston, where they lived for many years.  Her father, a tanner by trade, lived to be fifty-four years of age and died November 9, 188, and her mother is still living aged sixty, an honored resident of Conneaut.  Mrs. Foley is a devout Catholic, as also was her worthy husband.  Four of the Foley children died in early life.  Nicholas Henry died October 4, 1885, aged twenty-eight years.  Mrs. Raynor and her two sisters, Lizzie and Nellie, are the only ones of the family of eight who are now living.  She was the second born.  Mrs. and Mrs. Raynor have six children, William Erwin, Frances Mary, Louis Henry, Leo, Thomas and Charles Edward.

He and his wife are members of the Catholic Church.  He is a member of the B. of L. E. and also of the C. M. B. A., being president of the latter organization.  He affiliates with the Democratic party, while his father was a Republican.

Mr. Raynor has a splendid record as a good citizen as well as a skilled engineer.  He has made his own way in life.  He, like a very large number of other engineers as well as conductors, of the Nickel Plate, when in Conneaut have but little time to spend elsewhere than at home.  This is best accounted for by the fact that they have such cozy, well furnished and comfortable homes, such pleasant, refined and winsome wives whose highest ambition is to make home a little more pleasant than any other place, and that their children, too, always loving and affectionate, are pleased to see "papa" return in safety, and to meet him with a smile and a kiss.  The engineer and conductors of Conneaut, for the most part, have homes that are models in neatness, and impress the stranger favorably as places well deserving each the name of home.  The same thing obtains with the Nickel Plate shop men.  They seem to be persons who have come to stay and have thought it best to fix up a place worthy to be called home in a town that can show as much good citizenship to the square foot as any town in the State.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

A. F. Harrington, an enterprising and successful business man of Conneaut, Ohio, who has various interests in this city, is deserving of some personal mention on the pages of this work.  A brief sketch of his life is as follows:

A. F. Harrington was born in Pennsylvania, August 16, 1851, son of Reuben and Permelia (Campfield) Harrington.  His father and mother were natives of New York and Pennsylvania, respectively, and were married in Pennsylvania.  About 1857 they settled in Conneaut, Ohio, where they spent the rest of their lives.  The senior Mr. Harrington was a cooper and bridge carpenter, and after coming to Conneaut was chiefly engaged in work at the former trade.  He was twice married, and his second wife is still living, aged about sixty years.  He died in 1887, at the age of seventy.  He was the father of nine children, four by the first union and five by the second.  In the last family were three sons and two daughters, of whom A. F., the subject of this sketch, is the oldest.

Mr. A. F. Harrington made his own start in life, and the success he has attained is due solely so his own well directed efforts.  He first worked with his father, then he spent one year in a marble shop, and after that clerked for Captain Capron in the ship yard three years.  He subsequently spent one year in Wisconsin, working in a stave factory.  He is a man of marked energy and business ability, which has been amply demonstrated by the successful manner in which he has handled the various interests to which his attention has been called.  At this writing he runs a fishery in the lake, is engaged in the oil business, has a grocery and meat market, deals in hides, etc., and also has a large real estate interests.  With an eye ever open to business opportunities, he has made a number of judicious investments and is now the owner of valuable property interests in Conneaut.  While he looks well to his own private business affairs, he is public-spirited and generous and takes a lively interest in whatever pertains to the welfare of the community in which he lives.

Mr. Harrington was married February 22, 1876 to Miss Hattie L. Keep, adopted daughter of Luther and Fanny Keep, of Monroe township, this county.  Mr. and Mrs. Harrington have two children, Arthur A. and Minnie V., both attending school.  He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church of Conneaut, of which he is serving as a Steward.  Mr. Harrington is also a member of the Protected Home Circle, Junior Order of American Mechanics, Knights of the Golden Eagle, and of the State Police Force.  Politically, he is an ardent Republican.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

Dr. Lucinde E. Brayman, a leading physician and surgeon of Pierpont, Ohio, also a prominent business man and financier, was born in Ashtabula county, October 26, 1844.  He comes of good old New England stock, his father, Harry Brayman, being a native of Connecticut, while his mother was also of New England birth and a descendant of an old and respected family, her name before marriage having been Mary M. Snow.  This worthy couple were among the early settlers of Ashtabula county, where they took new land, which the father assiduously cultivated, together making a home for themselves and children in this new country.  In 1851 the family had the misfortune to lose the hard working and kind father, who died leaving a widow and six children:  Edwin, deceased; Jeannette; Bennet; Sylva; Lorenzo E.; and Lucinde E., whose name heads this sketch.  The father was a Whig in politics, a firm patriot and worthy man, who enjoyed the respect of all who knew him.

The subject of this sketch was reared in Pierpont township, and received his preliminary education in the common schools of his vicinity.  He commenced to study medicine in the fall of 1865, under Dr. Trimer, a prominent pioneer doctor of Pierpont, with whom he continued three years.  He then  attended the State University at Ann Arbor, Michigan, and later the Cleveland Medical College, graduating at the latter institution in February, 1869, after which he was a student at the Univeresity of Pennsylvania for four years.  He then commenced the practice of medicine at Pierpont, where he has been for twenty-four years, meeting with the greatest success, and is the leading physician of the county.  He also does an extensive drug business, in which he has been engaged for twenty years, having one of the best drug stores in his part of the county, with a complete stock and a large business house two-stories high.  He also owns other valuable property, a hotel in Pierpont and a brick business house in the best part of Andover, the latter of which is 23 x 100 feet and two stories high.  He has one of the best residences in Ashtabula county, which cost $7,000, also a brick barn, 26 x 60 feet, which cost $2,500, and is used for road horses.  He owns several good farms, aggregating 800 acres, which are devoted to general farming and stock purposes, principally the raising of thorough-bred horses, of which he has seventy-four, the leading members of the herd being Atlantic Wilkes, Flood, Jet, Gold Leaf and Blazing Star, all well known as horses of unusual merit.  This prosperity is the result of perservering endeavor and good management on the part of the Doctor, combined with upright business methods, gaining for him not only financial success but the respect of all who know him.

April 5, 1888, Dr. Brayman was married in Conneautville, Pennsylvania, to Miss Lizzie Fitzgerald, a lady of education and refinement, daughter of John Fitzgerald, a prominent and respected citizen of the Keystone State.  They have one son, John Harry, born March 5, 1889.

In politics, Dr. Brayman is a Republican.  He is a member of the Masonic order, belonging to Pierpont Lodge, No. 284, the Chapter of Conneautville, No. 76, Commandery No. 27, and the Mystic Shrine of Cleveland.  Few men have contributed so much to the general welfare of the county as the Doctor, and he is justly numbered among its representative citizens.
(Transcribed from Biographical History of Northeastern Ohio; published in Chicago: Lewis Publ. Co., 1893)

<PREVIOUS>             <NEXT>




This page was created by Sharon Wick 2003