Ashtabula Co., Ohio
SOURCE: History of Ashtabula County, Ohio
Large, Moina W.
Topeka :: Historical Pub. Co.,, 1924, 1132 pgs.
NOTE: Other Biographies will have a note stating their sources.
ALSO NOTE: I will transcribe biographies upon request. Please
state the County and State in the Subject line of the email. ~ SW
|* WADE, T. L.
* WAHLSTROM, George E.
* WAID, T. M.
* WARD, W. C.
* WARREN, G. M.
* WARREN, Riley G.
* WARREN, William
* WATERS, C. B.
* WATSON, E. L.
* WATSON, F. L., Dr.
* WEIBLEN, H. A.
* WEIDLING, George
* WEISS, W. S., Dr.
* WELCH, Isaac H.
* WELLMAN, Edward
* WELTON, E. E.
* WENNER, William E.
* WESTLAKE, Fred H.
* WHEELER, G. D.
* WHEELER, William A.
* WHETSON, S. C.
* WHITAKER, F. W.
|* WHITNEY, Edward Orson, Capt.
* WHITWOOD, L. D.
* WILDER, F. M.
* WILDER, R. H.
* WILDERSON, James E.
* WILEY, Elmer C.
* WILKINSON, William K.
* WILLIAMS, C. E.
* WILLIAMS, Edgar
* WILLIAMS, Edward
* WILLIAMS, Edwin R.
WILLIAMS, Floyd C.
* WILLIAMS, Harold E.
* WILLIAMS, Robert
* WILSON, Harold, Dr.
* WINNEY, John
* WOODARD, F. A.
* WOODMAN, Charles W.
* WOODWORTH, A. W.
* WOODWORTH, G. T.
* WOOLLEY, Lena
* WRIGHT, Marshall C.
|T. L. WADE,
deceased, was a leading farmer and prominent citizen of Ashtabula County
for many years. He was born in Massachusetts and in 1840 came to
Ashtabula County with his parents and located on the present Wade farm in
T. L. Wade was married at Andover to Miss
Augusta Betts, also a native of Massachusetts, and to this union the
following children were born: Marcia A., lives on the home
place; Mrs. Ellen M. Schuyler, Cofax, deceased; and S. M.,
Miss Marcia A. Wade was born on the farm
where she now lives, Oct. 4, 1840. During her life she has engaged
extensively in dairy farming and has met with unusual success.
Miss Wade now lives retired on her farm.
Miss Wade is among the interesting pioneers of
(See Note 2 below for Source)
C. B. WATERS, of Pierpont,
ranks among the enterprising and successful business men of Ashtabula
County. He was born in Crawford County, Pa., Aug. 27, 1880, and is
a son of Hiram and Mary J. (Ballard) Waters.
Hiram Waters was born in Erie County, Pa., and in
1881 came to Ashtabula County and located at Pierpont, where he worked
at his trade that of a carpenter. He was among the pioneer
business men of that section and was widely known throughout Ashtabula
County as a funeral director. He died May 22, 1906. and his wife
now resides with her daughter, Mrs. Williams. By his first
marriage to Miss Elizabeth Broughton, who died Oct. 11, 1875,
Mr. Waters had three children; Joel, lives retired in
Wisconsin; William and Martha, both deceased. To
Hiram and Mary J. (Ballard) Waters three children were born:
Mary, died in infancy; C. B., the subject of this sketch; and
Iva, married Edward Williams, lives in Pierpont Township.
C. B. Waters was reared and educated at
Pierpont, and at the age of 14 years began an apprenticeship with his
father. Since his father's death in 1906, Mr. Waters has
conducted the business alone.
On Oct. 25, 1902, Mr. Waters was married to
Miss Blanch Downing, who was born at Pierpont, May 19, 1874, the
daughter of David W. and Betsey (Louden) Downing. Mr.
Downing was an early settler of Pierpont Township and one of its
most successful farmers. He died March 29, 1900, and his wife died
Nov. 23, 1913. They were the parents of five children:
Phoebe, deceased, was the wife of Thomas Collier; Lorinda,
deceased, was the wife of L. E. Stevens; Addie, the widow
of E. W. Wright, lives at West Springfield, Pa.; Mrs. Waters;
and Chester, lives at Conneaut. Mr. and Mrs. Waters
have no children.
Mr. Waters is a Republican and he and his wife
are members of the Presbyterian Church. They are widely known and
highly esteemed citizens of their community.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
ISAAC H. WELCH, deceased,
was for many years identified with Ashtabula County as a prominent
citizen. He was born at Alliance, Ohio, Oct. 13, 1845.
On Oct. 17, 1873, Mr. Welch was united in
marriage with Miss Mary S. Williams, a native of Jefferson, and a
member of one of Ashtabula County's oldest families. She was born
Oct. 17, 1853, and is the daughter of Joseph and Amanda (Hathaway)
Joseph Williams came to Ashtabula County with his
parents in 1819, making the trip from New York by oxen teams. He
was the son of Silas Williams, who was killed by a falling tree
in March, 1836, Joseph Williams became a prosperous farmer of
Ashtabula County and died Jan. 1, 1923. He was died Jan. 25, 1895.
She was also a member of an old Ohio family that settled there in 1836.
To Isaac H. and Mary S. (Williams) Welch, three children were
born: Silas N., born Feb. 20, 1875, died Oct. 18, 1899;
Joseph F., born July 22, 1882, a civil engineer, lives at Buffalo,
N. Y.; and Walter H., born July 30, 1892, and expert accountant,
lives at Atlanta, Ga. There are four grandchildren:
Richard Joseph, Henry Walter, George Newell and Jean Effie.
Isaac H. Welch was a harness maker aby trade and
owned and operated a shop at Jefferson for many years. HE died
June 23, 1916. Mrs. Welch owns 200 acres of good farm land
in Ashtabula County, as well as her home and other property in
Mr. Welch was a Republican and a charter member
of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. The Welch family
is widely known in Ashtabula county.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
EDWARD L. WELLMAN
is a well known business man and substantial citizen of
Conneaut. He was born there June 24, 1885, and is the son of
Forest and Lavinia (Wright) Wellman.
Forest Wellman was born at Madison, Ohio, and for
many years has been a prominent farmer of Conneaut Township.
He is now associated with the American Can Company of Cleveland and
lives in Cleveland. Mrs. Wellman is deceased. To
Mr. and Mrs. Wellman three children were born: Monta,
died at the age of 18 years; Edward L., the subject of this
sketch, and Ralph, lives in Cleveland.
After receiving his preliminary education in Conneaut,
Edward L. Wellman attended a Cleveland business college and
remained in that city four years. Since 1910 he has been
associated in business with the Conneaut Leather Company and is now
secretary of the firm.
In 1907, Mr. Wellman was united in marriage with
Miss Julia Chapman, a native of Conneaut Township, and the
daughter of John and Lorain (Smith) Chapman, natives of
Pennsylvania and early settlers of Ashtabula County. Mr.
Chapman died in 1908 and his wife died in 1896. They were
the parents of the following children: Belle, deceased,
was the wife of Charles Hedder, lives at Conneaut; J. D.,
deceased; George, engaged in the real estate business at
Conneaut; Sylvia, married P. C. Gates, lives in Beaver
Center, Pa.; Warren, lives at Beaver Center, Pa.; Grace,
married F. E. Bernd, lives in Cleveland; and Joe and
Julia, twins. To Mr. and Mrs. Wellman have been
born two children, John and Richard, students.
In politics, Mr. Wellman is identified with the
Republican party. He is a member of the Methodist Church and
belongs to the Masonic lodge. Mr. Wellman is a reliable
citizen, industrious and enterprising.
~ Page 677
E. E. WELTON, a
substantial and well known farmer of Saybrook Township, is a member
of one of Ashtabula County's oldest families. He was born at
Harpersfield, Ohio, Nov. 22, 1849, and is the son of Nathan and
Chrinthia (Griffin) Welton.
Truman N. Welton, grandfather of the subject of
this sketch, was a native of Connecticut, and among the earliest
settlers of Austinburg. He was a teacher for many years and
later purchased a farm of 100 acres in Saybrook Township, where he
engaged in dairy farming. His son, Nathan, was born in
Ashtabula and became one of the farmers and stockmen of the county.
He died at the age of 65 years and his wife died at the age of 57
years. They were the parents of five children, two of whom are
now living: E. E., the subject of this sketch; and Arthur, who lives in Ashtabula.
E. E. Welton grew up on his father's farm and
attended the schools of Austinburg. When a young man he
entered the employ of the New York Central Railroad as a switch
tender, where he remained until 1908, at which time he purchased his
present farm. At one time Mr. Welton owned 112 acres,
40 of which were later sold to his son-in-law, Harry Bolte.
Mr. Welton was married first to
Starkweather, deceased. She met her death while preparing
breakfast for her family, when her clothing was ignited and she died
from burns. Mr. and Mrs. Welton were the parents of
five children: Edward, who died in 1917; Ernest,
lives at Akron, Ohio; Robert, Ashtabula; George, lives
at Saybrook; and Mrs. Pearl Parker, lives at Kenmore, Ohio.
On March 24, 1886, Mr. Welton was married to Miss
Catherine Frambaugh, a native of Liverpool, Ohio, and the
daughter of Leobold and Margaret (Mott) Frambaugh, both
deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Frombaugh the following
children were born: Margaret Offenburg, lives at Lenox, Ohio;
Lena Neff, Helen Walton, and Jacob, all
deceased; Henry, lives at Akron, Ohio; Anna Hill,
Mary Walton, Theodore, George, and Charles, all decease;
and Mrs. Welton. To E. E. and Catherine (Frombaugh)
Welton, ten children were born, as follows: Frederick,
born Jan. 16, 1886, lives at Ashtabula; Willard, born
Nov. 16, 1888, lives at Ashtabula; Lewelllyn, born May 2,
1890, lives at East Ashtabula; Harry, born Sept. 4, 1892,
died at the age of 18 years; Cora, born July 23, 1894, wife
of C. J. Lockwood, Madison, Ohio; Harvey, born July
26, 1896, a veteran of the World War, lives at home; Elsie,
born Aug. 12, 1898, wife of Harry Bolte, Ashtabula;
Bernice, born Oct. 10, 1902, wife of Willis Mosier,
Garrettsville, Ohio; Earl born May 11, 1907, and Lillian,
born Jan. 4, 1909, both at home.
Mr. Welton is one of the highly esteemed men of
- page 567
lecturer and legislator, is one of the widely known men of Ashtabula
County and Northern Ohio. He was born in Pennsylvania, Aug. 27,
1872, the eldest of 12 children, 11 of whom are living. His father
was of Pennsylvania, and afterward attended the Westminster Preparatory
School, Clarion State Normal and Westminster College, receiving from the
last named institution, his Bachelor of Arts Degree. He was
dependent upon his own efforts for the means of defraying his expenses
while a student in these institutions.
For four years Mr. Wenner taught in rural and
high schools. For eight years he was superintendent of schools at
Fredricksburg, Ohio. Following this, he was, for two years, head of
the English Department of Slippery Rock State Normal School at Slippery
Rock, Pa. He resigned this position to become assistant principal of
Wooster University Preparatory School at Wooster, Ohio, being associated
in this relationship with Prof. J. H. Dickason, head of the Wooster
University Summer School for Teachers. This widely popular school
was in session upwards of 20 summers, during 14 of which Mr. Wenner
was a member of the faculty teaching Latin and Literature. For 15
years, Mr. Wenner has been superintendent of the Harbor Special
School District at Ashtabula, and during that time, these schools have
maintained a high standard too well known to the people of this community
to need repetition here.
Mr. Wenner is now serving his third term in the
Ohio State Legislature, being a member of the Senate in the 85th Session.
Mr. Wenner has advanced in a political way, not as a result of
efforts on his own behalf during campaigns, but because the voters realize
his unusual ability, his fairness and fearlessness, his integrity and
dependability. His only boss is his own conscience - his sense of
right and justice toward all whom he represents. He is particularly
well equipped to fill a position in which direct first-hand knowledge of
the requirements and interests of men in different relations to society is
essential. He knows what it means to work up by his own efforts.
He spent the first 18 years of his life on a Pennsylvania farm with
comparatively limited opportunities, but he struggled and studied until he
acquired a good education through the exercise of an eager and retentive
mind. Today he is known as a student of many of the big questions of
local, state and national interests.
While in the Legislature, Mr. Wenner has been
particularly interested in legislation affecting public education,
Americanization and labor. In the 83rd Session, he was chairman of
the Committee on Building Loan and other savings institutions, was a
member of the Committee on Universities and Colleges, States and Economic
Betterment, Cities, Common Schools, Federal Relations and Labor. In
the 84th Session he was a member of the Committees on Cities, Labor,
Taxation and Common Schools. During his first term he introduced
among other measures, a bill for the revision of the school code which is
now part of the statutes of Ohio. While serving his next term he
presented a bill providing for compulsory physical education, and a bill
for the Extension of the Benefits of the Workmen's Compensation Act,
commonly known as the Occupational Disease Bill. Mr. Wenner
is especially interested in revision of the methods of legislation;
changes in the methods of levying taxes; education, with special emphasis
on physical training, and practical Americanization; and questions
For ten summers, Mr. Wenner has been on the
Redpath Chautauqua Circuit, lecturing on civic, social and educational
themes. During this time he has delivered over 1500 addresses in
over a thousand cities in about thirty-five states.
On Jan. 8, 1902, Mr. Wenner was married to
Miss Margie L. Rugh of Salem, Pa. They have two sons, Thomas
Mr. Wenner is a member of the Masonic Lodge,
holding membership in Garfield Lodge, A. F. & A. M. No. 528, Shreve, Ohio;
the Council at Conneaut, Ohio; the Chapter and Commandery at Ashtabula,
and the Consistory at Cleveland. He is a member of the District,
State and National Education Associations. He is President of the
Ashtabula Chamber of Commerce and of the Community Fund Committee, and is
a member of the Congregational Church and the National Council of the
Young Men's Christian Association.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
G. D. WHEELER, who
ranks among the leading and successful farmers of Ashtabula County,
was born on the farm where he now lives in Morgan Township, Feb. 22,
1867, and is a son of J. H. and Marian (Case) Wheeler.
J. H. Wheeler was a native of Saybrook Township and
the son of Isaac Taylor, who was among the first settlers of
Ashtabula County. The former engaged in the mercantile
business at East Trumbull, Ohio, during his early life, and in 1859
purchased the present Wheeler farm in Morgan Township, where
he died Apr. 6, 1886. His wife was a native of Hartsgrove,
Ohio, born Aug. 13, 1838. She died May 29, 1921. To this
union three children were born: Clara Bond, born July
16, 1857, died June 1, 1918; M. P., born May 19, 1862, lives
at Casper, Wyo.; and G. D., the subject of this sketch.
After the death of her husband, Mrs. Wheeler was
later married to H. W. Horton, of Hartsgrove, Ohio.
G. D. Wheeler attended the district school and
has spent his entire life on the same farm. He specializes in
dairy farming and is successful.
On Jan. 5, 1888, Mr. Wheeler was married to
Miss Mabel Gallup, who was born in Morgan Township, June 6,
1870, the daughter of William and R. A. (Bailey) Gallup.
She died in 1891. On June 18, 1893, Mr. Wheeler was
married to Miss Ada Bower, a native of Trumbull, Ohio, born
Feb. 22, 1867, and the daughter of Simon and Eliza (Wright) Bower,
who were the parents of the following children: Anna Ferris,
lives at Pontiac, Mich.; Mrs. Wheeler and Ralph Bower, lives
at Geneva. To G. D. and Ada (Bower) Wheeler two
children were born: Marian Moore, born June 7, 1894,
lives in Ashtabula, and has one son, Robert G. Moore, born
May 29, 1919; and Helen, born July 10, 1904, lives at home.
Politically Mr. Wheeler is a Democrat. He
is a member of the Christian Church, and a reliable citizen of
- page 1078
S. C. WHETSON,
a successful farmer and stockman of Colebrook Township, and the
owner of 100 acres of well improved land, was born at Bloomfield, in
Trumbull County, Ohio, in October, 1873, and is a son of T. B.
and Mary (Copper) Whetson. Mr. and Mrs. Whetson were born
in Pennsylvania. They were the parents of the following
children: Angeline, lives at Warren, Ohio; Elgie,
lives at Painesville, Ohio; S. C., the subject of this
sketch; Dora, lives at Kenilworth, Ohio; Elgin, lives
on the old home place; and John, lives at Greensburg, Ohio.
S. C. Whetson received his education in the
public schools and spent his boyhood on his father's farm in
Bloomfield. HE has lived in Colebrook Township since 1913,
where he is engaged in dairy farming.
On Nov. 18, 1902, Mr. Whetson was united in
marriage with Miss Mabel P. Knight, a native of Trumbull
County, born in 1880, and a daughter of Richard and Martha Knight,
both deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Whetson five children
have been born, as follows: Martha Mullett, lives at
Hartford, Ohio; M. R., a farmer, lives in Colebrook Township;
Dora Martig of Minnesota; Nina, and Wilma, at
Mr. Whetson is an independent voter and in 1824
was appointed township trustee. He is a member of the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows and has served on the school board
four years. Mr. Whetson is a practical and ambitious
farmer, and a man highly esteemed in his neighborhood.
- page 946
*CAPTAIN EDWARD ORSON WHITNEY,
superintendent of the Ashtabula & Buffalo Docks, is a citizen who holds
the high regard of the entire community. He was born at Henderson,
N. Y., Dec. 27, 1872, and is the son of Myron J. and Florence J.
Myron J. Whitney, a native of Henderson, N. Y., was
born Jan. 27, 1843, the son of Truman Orson and Martha (Wood) Whitney.
Truman Orson Whitney was a farmer and spent his entire life
at Henderson, N. Y. On March 12, 1840, he was married to Miss
Martha Wood. From 1863 until 1867 he held the office of
revenue assessor and from 1863 until 1872 was supervisor of the town.
Mr. Whitney was accidentally shot in the foot and his foot was
amputated by Dr. Grafton of Watertown, N. Y. He died March
3, 1876. Mr. Whitney was a prosperous farmer and owned a
farm of 450 acres near Henderson, N. Y. His son, Myron J.,
also farmed during his life and died at Henderson, N. Y., in 1905.
His wife, who was born Dec. 28, 1853, still lives in that city.
She is the daughter of Edward White, a native of Henderson, N.
Y., who was a pioneer sea captain. To Myron J. and Florence J.
(White) Whitney three children were born, as follows:
Edward Orson, the subject of this sketch; Lee, born, in 1876,
married Matilda McHugh, lives at Henderson, N. Y.; and Ethel
D., the widow of Capt. Ralph Gleason, who died in July, 1911.
Captain Edward Orson Whitney was reared at
Henderson, N. Y., and received his education in the public schools there
and at Watertown, N. Y. He began his career as a deckhand on the
steamer "Missoula" when he was 17 years of age. He was promoted to
porter and watchman during the second season and served on the steamer
"Spokane" as wheelsman in 1891. In 1892 he served on the steamers
"Northern King" and "Pioneer", and in 1894 was second mate on the latter
steamer. The following year he was mate and in 1896 was mate on
the steamer "Hiawatha" and the following year mate on the steamer "Horan
A. Tuttle". In 1898 he was mate on the steamer "Joseph L. Colby"
and the following year on the same vessel. In 1900 Captain
Whitney was mate on the steamer "Thomas Wilson" and the following
year on the "Queen City", and later master on the barge "Martha" and the
barge "Madsira". In 1902 he was master on the steamer "Bartlett"
and the following years on the steamers "Henry Cort", "William H.
Gilbert", "John Erickson" and the "F. B. Morse". In 1909
Captain Whitney was promoted to his present position as
superintendent of the Ashtabula & Buffalo Docks and removed to Ashtabula
from Henderson, N. Y. He lives at 95 Walnut Street.
Captain Whitney succeeded Capt. E. S. Henry, deceased.
In 1912 the name of the company was changed from the Ashtabula Dock
Company to the Ashtabula & Buffalo Dry Docks.
On Jan. 21, 1896, Captain Whitney was united in
marriage with Miss Clarence and Clara (Vorce) Howard. Mr.
Howard was born in Henderson, N. Y., in April, 1853, and died May 1,
1912. His wife died at the age of 57 years. They were the
parents of the followed children: Mrs. Whitney; Alma, deceased;
Iva, married Phillip Lane; Ina; and Earl, married
Edith Peters. To Mr. and Mrs. Whitney four children
have been born, as follows: Zelma H., born Sept. 14, 1897,
married Ralph Duff, lives in Ashtabula; Howard, born Oct.
25, 1900; Zaida E., born Nov. 19, 1905; and Henry Payne,
born April 28, 1915.
Politically, Mr. Whitney is a Republican and he
and his family are embers of the Episcopal Church. He belongs to
the Masonic lodge and Shrine of Cleveland and the Elks, and is a
director of the Chamber of Commerce, president of the Ashtabula County
Health League, and chief of the American Protective League of
Northeastern Ohio. In January, 1924, he was elected a member of
the city council. Captain Whitney is one of Ashtabula's
representative citizens and the Whitney family stands high in the
(See Note 2 below for Source)
|F. M. WILDER is a pioneer
business man of Andover and a member of one of Ashtabula County's
prominent families. He was born in Andover Township, Ashtabula
County, April 8, 1855, and is the son of Henry and Matilda (Remington)
Henry Wilder was born in Connecticut, July 3,
1824, the son of Joseph and Ann (Gillett) Wilder, who settled in
Ashtabula County with their family in 1832. Joseph Wilder was
a shoemaker, music teacher and farmer, and became a leading citizen of his
day. His son, Henry, also became a successful farmer.
His first wife, Matilda Remington, died at the age of 27 years,
leaving a son, F. M., the subject of this sketch. Later,
Mr. Wilder was married to Mrs. Emily (Slater) Snow, and to this
union a daughter was born, Anna G. Lyman, who lives in Cleveland.
F. M. Wilder received his education in the
district schools of Andover Township and bean life as a farmer on the home
place. He engaged in the undertaking and furniture business at West
Andover in 1876, and conducted the two together successfully until 1919,
when he discontinued the furniture business.
On Feb. 6, 1879, Mr. Wilder was united in
marriage with Miss Clara L. Perry, a native of West Andover, born
Aug. 26, 1854, and the daughter of Benjamin F. and Nora A. (Lyman)
Perry. Mr. and Mrs. Perry were the parents of five
children: Mrs. Wilder; Furman, deceased; Judge B. F.,
lives at Jefferson, Ohio; Mary E. Ives, lives at Geneva, Ohio; and
Marshie L. Hill, lives in Cleveland. To Mr. and Mrs. Wilder
have been born three children, as follows: Marjorie N., born Dec.
29, 1879, at home with her parents; H. R., born Aug. 10, 1883, died
Nov. 15, 1916, and Laura M. Powell, born May 13, 1886, lives at
Conneaut and has a daughter Marjorie Powell, born June 17,
Mr. Wilder is a Republican and has served as school
director and township trustee. He is well and favorably known
throughout Ashtabula County, where he has spent his entire life.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
EDGAR WILLIAMS, who is
the owner of one of Ohio's largest apiaries, is well and favorably known
throughout Ashtabula County as a substantial citizen. He was born
at Pierpont, Dec. 4, 1883, and is the son of Edgar and Kate (Schramling)
Edgar Williams, deceased, was a prosperous farmer
of Pierpont Township for many years. He died in 1914, and his
widow now lives in Pierpont. They were the parents of four
children: Corydon, died in infancy; Allie, married Amy
Lewis, deceased; Edgar, the subject of this sketch; and
Edna, a twin sister of Edgar, married Charles Stewart,
lives in Trumbull County, Ohio.
Edgar Williams has always live in Pierpont.
He has one of the largest apiaries in the state and handles about 30
tons of honey annually.
On July 6, 1911, Mr. Williams was united in
marriage with Miss Margaret Smith, a native of Wayne Township,
Ashtabula County, born July 24, 1884, and the daughter of Charles and
Emily (Jones) Smith, both natives of Wayne Township. Mr.
Smith, who was a leading farmer of his native township, died Dec.
21, 1905. His widow lives at Andover. They were the parents
of the following children: Walter A.; Fred,
deceased; Frank L., lives in Wayne Township; Fannie,
married Harry Lane, lives in Wayne Township; Mrs. Williams;
Mary, married J. B. Barber lives in Wayne Township; Ralph,
lives in Wayne Township; and Ella Elizabeth, died in infancy.
To Mr. and Mrs. Williams three children have been born, as
follows: Robert, born Feb. 24, 1914; Edgar P., born
Aug. 17, 1918; and one child died in infancy6. Before her
marriage, Mrs. Williams was a teacher. She is a graduate of
Wayne High School and taught in the schools of Ashtabula County for six
years before her marriage.
Mr. Williams is a Republican, a member of the
Presbyterian Church, and belongs to the Grange. He has held
several township offices and has been a member of the board of education
for eight years. Mr. Williams is a man who is highly
esteemed for his industry and initiative.
Source #2 - page 754
EDWARD WILLIAMS, an
enterprising and well known farmer and stockman of Pierpont Township,
was born at Pierpont, Ohio, April 22, 1881, and is the son of Hiram
and Helen (Caine) Williams.
Hiram Williams, deceased, was a native of Ashtabula
County, and a leading farmer and stockman of Pierpont Township for many
years. The Williams family originally came to Ohio from New
York in 1813. Mr. Williams was one of the largest sheep
raisers in Ohio and operated 500 acres of land. He was a
Republican and a member of the Congregational Church, in which he was an
active worker. He was also a charter member of the Pierpont Grange
No. 1314 and the National Grange. He died Jan. 18, 1901, and his
wife, who was born at Warrensville, Ohio, died Sept. 28, 1914.
They were the parents of the following children: Alice and
Fred, deceased; Frank, a farmer, lives at Pierpont, Ohio;
Margaret, married John Walsh, lives in Pennsylvania;
Edward, the subject of this sketch; Louise, deceased; and one
child died in infancy.
Edward Williams received his education in the
Pierpont schools and engaged in farming on the home place for several
years. He now owns 70 acres of well improved land and has Holstein
On June 20, 1907, Mr. Williams was united in
marriage with Miss Iva Waters, who was born at Pierpont, Ohio,
July 2, 1883, and the daughter of Hiram and Mary (Bollard) Waters.
Mr. Waters who was born in Crawford County, Pa., came to Ashtabula
County in 1881. He died May22, 1906, and his wife now lives at
Pierpont with the Williams family. Mr. and Mrs. Waters had
three children: Carey, lives in Pierpont; Mary
deceased; and Mrs. Williams. Mr. and Mrs. Williams have one
child, Josephine, born Oct. 28, 1916.
In politics Mr. Williams is identified with the
Republican party. He was a member of the school board and is now
serving as township clerk. He and his family hold membership in
the Presbyterian church. Mr. Williams is a member of the
Pierpont Grange, No. 1314.
Source #2 - page 753
|EDWIN R. WILLIAMS—Few
men in Ashtabula county, Ohio, more fully enjoy the confidence and esteem
of their fellow citizens than the subject of this
sketch, whose birth and long residence here afford them ample opportunity
to judge of his worth.
Of hardy New England ancestry, he is well calculated to
emulate the example of that progressive race. His father, Jacob
Williams, was born in Connecticut about 1773. He was a farmer and
millwright by occupation, excelling in wood chopping and stone cutting,
some of his millstones, which were cut by him seventy-five years ago,
being still in existence in Ashtabula. He was a teamster in the battle of
Plattsburg in the war of 1812, his mother keeping at that time an inn at
Lowville, New York. He had a brother, John, who was a twin of his.
In 1814, being incited by the opportunities afforded in the West for a man
of energy and perseverance, he joined the tide of emigration and came to
Ashtabula county, Ohio, where by hard work and careful management he
secured a competence for himself and family and died greatly lamented by
all who knew him. His wife, nee Lydia Wright, came of a
prominent family which settled in America in an early day. They were
originally from Essex county, England, the first representative of the
family in this country being Samuel, who formed one of Governor
Winthrop's colonists, settling in Springfield, Massachusetts, in
1630. In 1656, he removed to North Hampton, that State, where many
succeeding generations were born. Solomon Wright, grandson
of this early ancestor, was born in the latter city in 1706, where he was
married in 1727 to Hannah Loomis, and reared a number of
children. One of these was Solomon, whose birth occurred in 1747.
He was twice married, first to a Miss Dewey, who had two
children, Preserved and Lydia. His second wife was Ruth
(Williams) McCall, widow of James McCall, and
they had seven children: Solomon, Diocletian, Ralph,
Sherman, Betsy, George and Maria. Of all these
children, Preserved was the only one who did not come to Ohio and settle
near Conneaut. Many members of this historic family have gained national
prominence as statesmen, lawyers, doctors, and in various other callings.
Among them may be mentioned Governor Silas Wright,
the best of the early Governors of New York State, who was a cousin of the
mother of the subject of this sketch; also, Dr. Wright, of
Rochester, the same State, a famous physician, who was a near relative.
Jacob Williams was the father of eleven children: Marshall,
born 1798; Diocletian, born in 1800, died in 1889; Ralph,
born in 1802, died in 1868; he was a mechanic and millwright; one died in
infancy; Lydia, born in 1806, married Alfred Crittendon;
Douglas, born in 1808, died in Oregon in 1891; Elvira was
born in 1811, was first married to Mr. Clark and afterward
to a Mr. Phillips, and died in 1887, aged seventy-seven
years; Harvey, born in 1818, died in 1847; Louisa, born in 1815,
died in 1871; Mary Ann, born in 1818, married J. W.
Haskell; and Edwin R., the subject of this sketch.
Mr. Williams, of this biography,
was born February 7,1821, in Ashtabula county, Ohio, where he was reared,
receiving his preliminary education in that vicinity, but afterward
attending a private institution in Buffalo, New York, for four years. He
then entered the employ of a merchandising establishment in Conneaut as
clerk, in which capacity he served two years. He then, on April 13, 1842,
embarked in business at Conneaut, with his brother-in-law, Mr.
Haskell. In 1846, at Steamburg, Crawford county, Pennsylvania, he
erected a steam mill for sawing lumber, and it is a noteworthy fact that
this was the first mill of the sort ever built in this country. The firm
removed in 1846 to Conneautville, Pennsylvania, and dually, in 1856, began
business in Ashtabula. This they discontinued at the time of the
conduction of the Pittsburgh Youngstown and Ashtabula railroad, to take a
contract for the building of a large portion of that road, on the
completion of which they again engaged in mercantile business, from which
Mr. Williams withdrew in 1874, and has since remained
retired from active pursuits.
At the time of "the late unpleasantness," Mr. Williams was
offered a Colonelcy of a regiment in the Federal army, but was prevented
from accepting by the ill health of his wife. In the beginning of 1861, he
was appointed by the Federal authorities to a responsible position in
Ashtabula county, which he filled with efficiency and honor.
He was married on August 6,1848, to Miss
Olive F. Haskell, a highly estimable lady, born June 12,1823, daughter
of Aretas Haskell, a native of New Hampshire. Her
mother, Annie Folsom, came of the same family as did the
father of Mrs. Grover Cleveland. The wedding tour of Mr.
Williams and wife was made to Buffalo, where they visited the
convention of the Free Soil party which nominated Martin Van
Buren for the Presidency. They had three children: Esther,
who died aged three weeks; Glendora Adaline, born December
22, 1850; Fred Aretas, born February 11, 1853, was educated at
Hillsdale College, Michigan, where he graduated in 1875. He then clerked
two years, after which he entered the insurance business in partnership
with Mr. Green, which relation continued until the latter's
death, since which time he has been associated with Mr. Jaques.
November 9, 1887, Mr. Fred A. Williams was married to Miss
Elizabeth Giddings, a lady of domestic tastes and social
accomplishments, daughter of J. A. Giddings and granddaughter of
Joshua Giddings, an old and prominent settler of this county.
They have no children.
Politically, Mr. E. R. Williams is a Republican,
and, fraternally, affiliates with the Masons, of which order he has been a
worthy member for forty years. As a business man and citizen he is widely
and favorably known for his uprightness, enterprise and public spirit.
(See Note 1 Below)
FLOYD C. WILLIAMS,
College, is among the prominent and influential
citizens of Ashtabula
County. He was born in
Jasper County, Ind., June 29,
1887, and is the son of Joseph and Mahala (Adair) Williams.
Joseph Williams was a native of Indiana, and his wife was also born in that state. He followed farming and stock raising
during his life in Jasper County,
Ind., and met with success. Mr. Williams is deceased and his widow now resides on the home place near
Rensselaer, Ind. They were the
parents of the following children:
Laura, deceased, was the wife of
William O., lives at Valparaiso, Ind.;
George Barker, lives on the home place.
Floy, twin sister of
Russell Kunce, and they live at
Cromwell, Ind.; Floyd, the subject of
this sketch; and Lillie, married
Halley Alter, lives at Rossville, N.
N.; and Ray, lives near the home
Floyd C. Williams was educated in the
public schools and after completing a post-graduate course at the
Marion Normal College, receiving
degree of Bachelor of Accounts in 1909, he was principal of the Commercial
Department of the Westfield
Westfield, Ill., for one year. He
was instructor one year in the Bookkeeping Department of the
Chicago Business College,
Chicago, Ill., and two years
instructor of Shorthand in Metropolitan
Chicago, Ill., after which he
was appointed manager of the Huntington
Huntington, Ind. In 1913
Mr. Williams came to
Ashtabula and purchased the
College, which was organized in 1895 by
A. E. Reynolds and located on the
northwest corner of Center and Main Streets.
It was purchased by Mr. Williams and T. F. Juergens, but the
following year Mr. Juergen’s interest
was purchased by Mr. Williams and it
has since been conducted by him and his wife, and associate teachers. The Ashtabula Business College was later
located in the Flickinger Building
and in April, 1920, the college was completely destroyed by fire and in
September of the same year was re-established in the Eastman Block, 206 Main
College courses of instruction are
designated to give to the future business man and woman, in the shortest
possible time, the instruction he needs if his work is to be of the right
quality and quantity and to be rendered in such a manner as to build business
that is profitable and permanent. The
school is fully accredited by the National Association of Accredited Commercial
Schools. This is the only authoritative
accrediting agency among private commercial schools. It is made up of nearly 300 leading
business training schools of the country that have pledged themselves to
establish and maintain the highest possible ideals and standards in business
Before a school can be accredited by
this association it pledges itself to the maintenance of a set of standards of
practice covering its relations with the student and with the public. A school cannot remain a member of this
association unless it measures up to these standards. There are a number of excellent reasons
why a student should attend a school accredited by the N. A. A. C. S., among
them being these:
1. Grades made in one accredited
school are good in every other accredited school and will be transferred when
the student finds it necessary to move from one community to another.
Every graduate is entitled to the free service of the employment
departments of all accredited schools throughout the
United States and Canada, should he at any time desire help in
securing a position.
3. Students in an accredited school
have the opportunity to earn the degree, Honor Graduate in Business, which is
conferred by the association in co-operation with the individual school.
4. The excellence of accredited
schools is so generally recognized that the graduate enjoys an exceptionally
favorable introduction to the business public when he leaves his school.
5. There are certain awards of merit
for scholarship that can be earned only in accredited schools.
While there are many good schools not
accredited by this Association the fact that a school is so accredited is one of
the very best evidences of its excellence.
The courses of study consist of the
following: Complete Business Course,
Shorthand Course, Bookkeeping Course, Secretarial Course, Civil Service, Course,
Public Accounting and Auditing.
Mr. Williams is a public accounting
and holds membership in the National Association of Cost Accountants and the
National Association of Public Accountants.
He is a Republican, a member o the Presbyterian Church, of which he is a
deacon, and he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Chamber of
Commerce, the Y. M. C. A. and Secretary of the Ashtabula County Sunday School
Association. He is known throughout
as an upright and reliable citizen.
Mr. Williams was married to Miss Bessie
Sheats, a native of Wood County,
Ohio, and the daughter of Frank L. and Nettie (Strayer) Sheats, natives of Ohio
and residents of Grand Rapids,
Ohio, where he is engaged in fruit growing. Mr. and Mrs. Sheats have five children, as follows:
Hiram Stocker, lives at McClure, Ohio; Mrs. Williams; Ruth, married LeRoy
McWilliams, and she is postmistress at Grand Rapids, Ohio;
Guy A. Nevison, automobile salesman at Ashtabula, and
Sidney Mawer, lives at Weston, Ohio.
Mr. and Mrs. Williams have no
Mrs. F. C. Williams is a graduate of
the Grand Rapids,
Ohio, High School. She then received her teachers’ training
at the Marion
Marion, Ind. She taught in the public school at
Grand Rapids for three years and two years at Bloomdale, Ohio. Since coming to
in 1913, Mrs. Williams has been
associated with Mr. Williams in the Ashtabula Business College. She is a member of the First Presbyterian
Church and a teacher in the Junior Department of the Sunday School, and Business
Women’s Club of the Y. W. C. A.
Some of the teachers associated with
Mr. and Mrs. Williams are:
Mrs. Fern Carter and Miss Hazel
Mrs. Carter is a graduate of the
Geneva High School
and of the Ashtabula
in 1819 and now a bookkeeper in the Machine Department of the American Fork &
Ohio. She is an
assistant in the Night School.
Miss Hazel Lewis a graduate of the
High School and of the Ashtabula Business College. She was an honor student, receiving a
diploma which is granted by the Accredited Schools for superior work. She received her teachers’ normal training
at the Oberlin
University, Oberlin, Ohio.
Miss Lewis has charge of the Stenographic Department.
Mrs. Nevison, a former graduate of
the school, was a teacher for three years in Ashtabula Business
College and then entered Civil Service work, being a
Stenotypist at the Toledo
for three years.
Miss Lelia Holcomb, of
and a graduate of the school, was a successful teacher in the Stenographic
Department for four years in the Ashtabula
and then two years in the Commercial Department of the
She is now Secretary in the Lutheran Hospital,
Cleveland, Ohio. ~
Source: History of Ashtabula County,
Ohio by Moina W. Large - Vol. I –
1924 – Page 1100
deceased, was among the leading farmers and stockmen of Ashtabula
County for many years. He was born at Devonshire, England,
Aug. 13, 1824, and came to this country when a young man. He
located on the present Williams farm in Orwell township in
1863, and became a successful farmer. He died Dec. 27, 1889,
and i buried at Orwell.
On Oct. 25, 1863, Mr. Williams was united in
marriage with Miss Ann Combs, also a native of England, born
Oct. 26, 1841. She was the daughter of Henry and Deborah
(Hayes) Combs, who came to this country in 1852 and located at
Mesopotamia, Ohio. Her father was a farmer during his life.
To Mr. and Mrs. Combs 12 children were born: Mrs.
Williams, John, Samuel, Emma, Eliza, Elizabeth, Hattie, Martha,
Edna, Sarah, James and Minnie. To Robert and Ann
(Combs) Williams six children were born, as follows: Edward
E., born Aug. 18, 1864, lives in Ashtabula County; Fred M.,
born Feb. 19, 1867, lives with his mother; Minnie M., born
April 15, 1869, deceased; John H., born April 8, 1871,
deceased; Emma E., born June 29, 1883, deceased; John H.,
born April 8, 1871, deceased; Emma E., born June 29, 1883,
deceased; and Homer George, born Oct. 15, 1885, deceased.
Mr. Williams was a member of the Disciple Church
and a highly respected citizen of his community.
Newell Elton Williams, only grandchild of Mr.
and Mrs. Williams, was born on the old homestead in Orwell
Township, June 12, 1909. Fred M. Williams was married
Nov. 8, 1906, to Miss Cora Davis, a native of Orwell, and the
daughter of Frank and Salinda (Benton) Davis, both of whom
are deceased. There were four children in the Davis family:
Grace Gibalow, lives in Burton, Ohio; Mrs. Williams;
Georgia Baker, lives at Orwell; and Frances Goddard,
Source: History of Ashtabula County,
Ohio by Moina W. Large - Vol. I – 1924 - page 950
DR. HAROLD WILSON,
a well known and successful physician of Conneaut, and veteran
of the World War, was born in New York City, Jan. 20, 1874, and is a
son of Herman B. and Mary Ann (White) Wilson.
Herman B. Wilson was a native of New Rochelle, N.
Y., and when a young man moved to New York City, where he later
became a street railway magnate. He died Jan. 16, 1890, and
his wife died in June, 1883. She was a native of England.
To Mr. and Mrs. Wilson the following children were born:
Charles, deceased; Albert, lives retired in New York
City; Henrietta, deceased; Herman B., lives retired,
New York City; Imogene, Dresden, Mary Francis and
Alexander, all deceased; and Dr. Harold, the subject of
Dr. Harold Wilson spent his boyhood in New York
City and was graduated from the Medical School at Dartmouth College
at 1896. He then began practising medicine at
Steubenville, Ohio, where he remained two years, then coming to
Conneaut. Dr. Wilson has built up a large practice and
is a thoroughly competent physician.
During the World War Dr. Wilson enlisted his
services and was commissioned captain in the medical corps. He
served for 21 months, a year of which time was spent in France.
Dr. Wilson was discharged April 26, 1919.
Dr. Wilson was married to Miss Mary M. Kerr,
a native of Greenfield, Ohio, and the daughter of David and
Hattie (Anderson) Kerr. To Dr. and Mrs. Wilson one
son has been born, Harold David, who was born in 1920.
Dr. Wilson is a Republican and is identified
with the Masonic and Elks lodges and the American Legion. He
and his family are members of the Congregational Church.
Dr. Wilson is a substantial and representative citizen of
~ Page 676
|G. T. WOODWORTH,
of Dodgeville, is a successful and well-known young business man of
Ashtabula county. He was born on a farm in Wayne township, July
23, 1890, and is a son of H. O. and Sarah (Patrick) Woodworth.
H. O. Woodworth was born in Wayne township,
Sept. 18, 1866, and ranks among the successful farmers of Ashtabula
county. In 1887 he was married to Miss Sarah Patrick, who
was born in Ashtabula county, Nov. 1, 1867. To this union four
children were born: G. T., the subject of this sketch;
Emily McGovney, born Oct. 25, 1893, lives at Seaman, Ohio; Hattie,
born April 8, 1900, at home; and Raymond, June 14, 1909.
G. T. Woodworth spent his boyhood on his
father's farm and attended the public schools at Wayne. After his
marriage in 1912 he engaged in farming until 1916, at which time he
purchased the business of S. C. Barber, of Dodgeville.
Mr. Woodworth carries a complete line of general hardware, furnaces,
sheet metal, etc.
On December 23, 1912, Mr. Woodworth was married
to Miss Velma May Rose, a native of Denmark township, Ashtabula
county, born May 4, 1890, and the daughter of A. J. and Luella Rose,
residents of Linesville, Pa., and the parents of the following children:
Mrs. Woodworth; Carl A. lives at Linesville, Pa., and F.
J. lives at Williamsfield, Ohio. To G. P. and Velmay May
(Rose) Woodworth four children have been born: Pauline E.,
born Jan. 2, 1914; Vivian R., born Feb. 4, 1918; Doris L., born
Oct. 30, 1923.
Mr. Woodworth is a republican, a
member of the Congregational church and his wife belongs to the
Disciples church, at Rockwell. He is an enterprising young man
whose success in life is already assured.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
Source 1 - Biographical History of
Northeastern, Ohio Embracing the Counties of Ashtabula, Geauga and Lake.
Containing Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States with a Biography
of each, together with Portraits and Biographies of Joshua R. Giddings, Benjamin
F. Wade and a large number of Early Settlers and Representative Families of
Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company - 1893.
Source 2 - History of Ashtabula County, Ohio by Mrs. Moina W. Large - 1924
NOTE: There will be an asterisk (*) next to the biographies that have a