History of
Ashtabula Co., Ohio

SOURCE: History of Ashtabula County, Ohio
Large, Moina W.  Topeka :: Historical Pub. Co.,, 1924, 1132 pgs.

NOTE:  Other Biographies will have a note stating their sources.

ALSO NOTE:  I will transcribe biographies upon request.  Please state the County and State in the Subject line of the email. ~ SW



* SAGE, Abram L.
* SALGEN, J. Edward
* SANDERS, Samuel H.
* SANFORD, Edward
* SANFORD, Harland P.
* SARGENT, Charles R.
* SAWDEY, Roy M.
* SERRAS, Charles
* SEYMOUR, Barrett B.
* SHATTO, H. J., Dr.
* SHAYLOR, William H.
* SHELDON, Franklin S.
* SHELDON, Norman E.
* SHUMAKER, Almond Henry
* SILL, Alonzo T.
* SILL, John S.
* SILVIEUS, Florence M.

* SEYMOUR, Barrett B.
* SHELDON, Norman E.
* SMITH, John

* SIM, Eli F.
* SIMONDS, C. Henry
* SMILEY, Hal K.
* SMITH, B. J.
* SMITH, Clyde E.
* SMITH, Elizabeth M.
* SMITH, Henry
* SMITH, Joseph
* SMITH, Neal W.
* SMITH, Tom L.
* SODEN, H. W.
* SOET, John
* SPEER, Lewis W.
* SPENCER, Platt Rogers
* SPITZIG, E. J., Rev.
* SQUIRES, Theodore W.

* STANHOPE, Charles R.
* STEEL, Dave W.
* STEVENS, William A.
* STEWART, George W.
* STILES, Albert Warren
* STOLL, Edward F.
* STONE, Ralph H.
* STRAUSSER, Charles C.
* STONE, Ward B.
* STORCH, William C., Dr.
* STURTEVANT, Luman P., Dr.

* SWANEY, George W.
* SWEET, Roy J.
* SWEZEY, George W.
* SWIFT, F. P.

ABRAM L. SAGE, a well known citizen of Ashtabula, and agent for gasoline, is a leading business man of Ashtabula County.  He was born at Cortland, Ohio, March 2, 1852, and is a son of James and Mary (Everett) Sage.
     James Sage
was killed while in service during the Civil War.  Before enlisting for service he engaged in farming in Trumbull County, Ohio.  Mr. Sage was a member of the 105th Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and was 38 years of age at the time of his death.  His wife died in 1908, at the age of 79 years.  Mr. and Mrs. Sage were the parents of nine children, seven of whom are now living.  Abram L., the subject of this sketch, was the fourth in order of birth.
     Abram L. Sage received his education in the schools at Bristolville, Ohio, and at the age of 21 years, entered the employ of the C. F. Dunbar Company, who at that time were dredging the Harbor at Ashtabula.  Ten years later Mr. Sage became a foreman on the docks at Fairport, Ohio, installing machinery, and three years later went to Cleveland.  There he was employed by the Andrews and Hitchcock Company for three years and for 20 years was employed by the New York Central Railroad Company.  In 1916 Mr. Sage came to Ashtabula and opened a garage and salesroom on West Prospect Street.  He dis a general repair work and also carried a complete line of accessories and tires.  Mr. Sage was associated in business with his son, Abram Leo.  They are now wholesale dealers in gasoline and handle Empire High Test and Standard Oil products.  Storage tanks owned by this company have 44,000 gallon capacity, and with their stations, total 50,000 gallons.  Mr. Sage  owns four filling stations and delivers to Geneva and neighboring towns.
     In 1882 Mr. Sage was married to Miss Mary Clark, a native of Fowler, Ohio, who died in 1917.  A son, of Abram Leo, married Mildred Isham, of Ashtabula, and they have two children, Warren Abram and James Abner.
In politics Mr. Sage is identified with the Republican party.  He is a member of the Dredge Engineers Society of Chicago.  Mr. Sage is among the representative citizens of his community.
     On June 25, 1924, Mr. Sage moved to 529 Main St., where he owns a fine residence.  He also owns 83 acres of land in Saybrook Township.
(See Note 2 below for Source)


BARRETT B. SEYMOUR, president of the National Bank of Ashtabula, is a member of one of Ashtabula County's prominent pioneer families, and ranks among the successful and influential business men of the county.  He was born at East Plymouth, Ohio, Feb. 5, 1856, and is the son of Leverett and Nancy (Gillett) Seymour.
The Seymour family originall came from Litchefield, Conn., where Bennett Seymour, grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was born.  In 1809 he came west to Ashtabula county and located on a farm in East Plymouth Township, where he lived until the time of his death in 1866.  He became a prosperous citizen and was a large vessel owner.  His son, Leverett, was born in 1830.  In 1856 he moved to Clayton County, Iowa, and became a prominent farmer of his time.  He died there in 1866.  Nancy (Gillett) Seymour was also a native of East Plymouth, born in 1834.  They were the parents of two children: Barrett B., the subject of this sketch; and Mary E., born in 1864, married George C. Hubbard, of Ashtabula, Ohio.  She died in 1917.
     Barrett B. Seymour was educated in the public schools of Ashtabula County and after having finished his schooling in 1874 he was employed as a clerk in the Ashtabula post office for five years.  He then was connected with a lumber company at Mainistee, Mich., for a short time,  In 1882 Mr. Seymour became associated with the National Bank of Ashtabula as a clerk and remained there until 1890, at which time he went to Washington, returning to Ashtabula in 1896.  At that time he was appointed cashier of the National Bank of Ashtabula, which office he held until 1908.  Mr. Seymour was then appointed first superintendent of the banks of Ohio and organized the banking department of Ohio.  In 1911 he became president of the National Bank of Ashtabula, which office he has since held.
     The National Bank of Ashtabula was organized in 1872 as the Ashtabula National Bank and in 1892 became known as the Ashtabula Banking Company.  In 1896 it was reorganized as the National Bank of Ashtabula.  It now has a capital stock of $200,000 and a surplus of $190,000, and is among the thriving banking institutions of northern Ohio.
     In 1890 Mr. Seymour was united in marriage with Miss Mary H. Greer, who died in July. 1906.  She was the daughter of William F. and Cornelia (Huntington) Greer, natives of Painesville, and now deceased.  Mr. Greer died in 1876 and his wife died in 1912.  To Mr. and Mrs. Seymour one daughter was born, Eleanor P., now the wife of Holland H. Hubbard, and they live in Toledo, Ohio, where he is engaged in the real estate business.  Mr. and Mrs. Hubbard have a son, Thomas H. Hubbard.
     Mr. Seymour
is president and treasurer of the Ashtabula Water Company, treasurer and director of the Ashtabula Telephone Company, vice president and director of the Ashtabula Hide & Leather Company, trustee of the Ashtabula Public Library and trustee of Lake Erie College at Painesville, Ohio.  Mr. Seymour has taken a keen interest in the welfare of the Smith Home for Aged Women, which was founded by James L. Smith, who died in 1919.  It was opened in 1922 and at the present time has 27 women living in the home.  Mr. James L. Smith left his entire estate to equip and maintain a home for aged women.  Mr. Seymour was appointed one of the executors and trustees to build and equip this home.  Mr. Seymour is a Republican and a member of the Episcopal Church.  He is public spirited and progressive and takes a deep interest in the welfare of Ashtabula, to the advancement of which he has materially contributed.
(See Note 2 below for Source)

DR. J. B. SHARKEY, a leading optician of Ashtabula, with offices at 69 Lake Street, is a native of Scotland.  He was born Feb. 24, 1870, and is the son of William and Mary Sharkey.
     William Sharkey
was a native of Scotland, as was also his wife.  He died in 1904 and she died in 1918.  They were the parents of the following children:  John, lives in Scotland; Jane Patterson, lives in Pennsylvania; Margaret Raymer, lives in Letsdale, Pa.; Mary Thompson, lives in Pennsylvania; Martha, deceased, was the wife of Ernest Whitcombe; Mrs. Frank George, lives in Pittsburgh, Pa.; and J. B., the subject of this sketch.
     Doctor Sharkey received his early education in the schools of his native land and in 1885 came to Ontario, Canada, where he remained several years.  He was graduated from the Northern Illinois College of Optometry on April 21, 1894, and from Needles Institute of Kansas City in 1920.  Before attending the latter institution, Dr. Sharkey spent 16 years practicing his profession in Chicago, and four years in California.  He has been located in Ashtabula since Oct. 1, 1921.  and is recognized as a capable and progressive man in his profession.
     On Sept. 23, 1915, Dr. Sharkey was united in marriage with Miss Mary Farrell  a native of Mississippi.  She is the sister of George Farrell, editor and owner of the Coast Beacon, widely known newspaper of Pass Christian, Miss.  Another brother, Fred Farrell, also lives in Mississippi.
     Doctor Sharkey is a Republican, a member of the Congregational Church, 32nd degree Mason, and also belongs to the Knights of Pythias.


NORMAN E. SHELDON, a prominent merchant of Ashtabula engaged in the wholesale fruit business on Fisk Street, is a native of New York.  He was born at Oswego, Sept. 9 1877, and is the son of C. A. and Frances (McCully) Sheldon.
     C. A. Sheldon
was born in New Haven, Conn., in 1837, and his wife was a native of Fulton, N.Y., where he engaged in the fruit business until 1890, at which time he came to Ashtabula.  Mr. Sheldon died in 1916 and his wife died in 1919.  They had three children:  Norman E., the subject of this sketch; Merwin, died in 1897; and Robert, born in 1888, married to Miss Grace Weisel and he is employed by his brother, Norman E. Sheldon.
     Norman E. Sheldon
spent his boyhood at Oswego, N. Y., and received his education in the public schools there.  In 1890 he came to Ashtabula with his parents and engaged in the fruit business with his father on Spring Street.  Two years later they moved the business to Center Street, where they remained for 15 years.  Mr. Sheldon has occupied his present building for 14 years.  He carries a fine line of fruits and ranks among the successful business men of the city.
     In 1904, Mr. Sheldon was united in marriage with Miss Maude O'Neil, a native of Ashtabula, and the daughter of J. A. and Anna (Schafer) O'Neil.  Mr. and Mrs. Sheldon have no children.  Mr. Sheldon is a director of the Commercial Savings & Trust of Ashtabula.  He is a Republican, a member of the Episcopal Church, and belongs to the Masonic and Elk lodges.
(See Note 2 below for Source)


ALONZO T. SILL, who is engaged in the garage business at Unionville, is a successful and well known business man in Ashtabula County.  He was born at Ashtabula, Feb. 3, 1872, and is a son of John S. and Mary (Rockwell) Sill. 
     John S. Sill
, retired, is a veteran of the Civil War, and a prominent pioneer citizen of Ashtabula County, where he engaged in general farming and stock raising.  Later he became a civil engineer and was employed by the Pittsburgh & Ohio Railroad at the time of its construction.  Mr. Sill served throughout the Civil War with the 105th Ohio Volunteer Infantry.  He is a Republican, a member of the First Presbyterian Church of Ashtabula and belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic.  Although 85 years of age, Mr. Sill is still active and drives his automobile throughout the county.  Mrs. Sill , a native of Conneaut, died July 18, 1874.  Mr. and Mrs. Sill were the parents of four children:  Herbert S.,  lives at Warren, Ohio; Marion, Deceased: Mary, married Ira Crowther, a merchant, lives at Willoughby; and Alonzo T., the subject of this sketch.
     Alonzo T. Sill was educated in the public schools of Conneaut, and after completing his schooling became connected with the Cummins Canning Company of Conneaut,  in whose employ he remained three years.  After learning telegraphy he became an operator for the New York Central Railroad for 22 years and served as train dispatcher at Youngstown nine years.  Mr. Sill then returned to the old homestead in Ashtabula County and engaged in farming for three years.  In  1917 he took over the Ford Automobile Agency at Jefferson and conducted that business until 1922, at which time he engaged in the hardware business.  He  purchased the Union Motor Sales Company Garage at Unionville, Ohio, late in 1824.  Mr. Sill had an extensive business in Ashtabula County and carries a complete line of automobile parts and supplies.
     On Nov. 22, 1892, Mr. Sill was united in marriage with Miss Nettie R. Whitmier, a native of Tiffin, Ohio, born Aug. 13, 1871, and a daughter of Joseph and Martha Whitmier, both deceased.  Mr. and Mrs. Whitmier had nine children as follows:  Anna, married Nathan Crane, lives at Toledo, Ohio; Ida, married Frank Goeller lives at Bloomville, Ohio; Mollie, married Charles M. Hammond, lives at Conneaut; Sadie, twin sister of Mollie, deceased; Margaret, married Floyd R. Stoneman, lives at Conneaut; Ethel, married Walter Gardner, lives in Cleveland; Dora, a trained nurse, lives at Tiffin, Ohio; and Mrs. Sill.  To Mr. and Mrs. Sill four children have been born, as follows:  Mildred H., employed in the offices of the Nickel Plate Railroad at Conneaut;  Katherine R., a trained nurse, Lakeside Hospital, Cleveland; one child died in infancy; and Geraldine, lives in Conneaut.  Mrs. Sill died Oct. 22, 1916, and is buried in Ashtabula.
     Mr. Sill is a Republican and a member of the Masonic Lodge and Independent Order of Odd Fellows.  He and his family are representative citizens of Ashtabula County and favorably known.
(See Note 2 below for Source)

JOHN SMITH, conductor on the New K| York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad, and a valued citizen of Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Brooklyn, New York, Septem­ber 3, 1850, son of John and Mary (Reinbond) Smith, natives respectively of Alsace and Lorraine, France. His parents came to America at an early day and settled in New York.   His mother died about 1856, at the age of thirty-eight years, leaving three children, John, Josie and Frances. By a previous marriage his father had two daughters, Mary and Kate.
     The subject of our sketch started out in life on his own responsibility at an early age. His first employment was in the trimming department of a cooper shop, where he re­ceived $9.00 per week. Afterward he learned the cooper trade. Next, we find him running a circular saw at Queenspoint, New York. June 27, 1871, he landed in Pittsburg, and soon afterward came from there to Stenbenville, Ohio. His best opening there was in a stone quarry, where he was employed by a railroad company and received two dollars per day. He continued thus engaged until November, 1871. That winter he entered the service of the Pan Handle, in the employ of which company he remained until 1876, the last two years serving as conductor. He has continued in railroad employ ever since. He was freight conductor until 1881 and since then a passenger conductor. Since January, 1886, he has been in the employ of the Nickel Plate. In all his railroad career he never has been suspended a day. His natural ability and his careful attention to business have gained for him the high esteem of the officers of the road as well as of his fellow workmen. He is one among the large number of employes of the Nickel Plate who have rendered excellent service and are retained because of their thorough knowledge of the business, and their careful attention to the responsible du­ties devolving upon them.
     Mr. Smith was married in Dennison, Ohio, in 1875, to Miss Mary Liggett, daughter of Robert and Rebecca (McGrew) Liggett, of Dennison. Her mother died in 1878, aged fifty-six years, and her father in 1890, aged seventy-six. Their seven children are as follows: Sarah, wife of John McRichie; Albert, who married Mary Davis; James, who married Mary Darr; Susan, wife of Stephen Fetterly; Mrs. John Smith; John and Harry— the last two unmarried.
     Mr. and Mrs. Smith had four children, three of whom, Josie, Aggie and Belle, are living. James died soon after they came to Conneaut, aged four years.. The devoted wife and loving mother departed this life November 24, 1890. She was born at Port Clinton Ohio, January 5, 1857. Her life was characterized by the sweetest of Christian graces and the most loving devotion to her husband and family. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, as also was her mother. A woman of culture and refinement, generous impulses, great energy and sunny disposition, she made her home happy and drew around her a circle of loving friends. She rendered her husband valued assistance in securing their comfortable home; but she was not destined long to adorn it with her presence, for disease soon marked her as its victim and she was called to her home above. Her untimely death cast a gloom not only over the members of her immediate family but also over a large circle of friends and acquaintances. Mr. Smith's daughters preside over his home and are deserving of great credit for the way in which they conduct their household affairs. Mr. Smith and his family attend the Baptist Church, of which he is a supporter. He is a member of the Order of Railway Conductors, and his political associations are with the Republican party.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)

PLATT ROGERS SPENCER, celebrated as the founder of the " Spencerian" system of penmanship, was born September 7, 1801, in Dutchess county, New York, the son of Caleb Spencer, a native of Rhode Island and a soldier of the Revolution. The name of Platt's mother before marriage was Jerusha Covell, and she was from the town of Chatham, on Cape Cod.
     Platt, the youngest of a family of eleven children, nine of whom were brothers, was reared mainly among the beautiful hills of eastern New York. It was while living in Windham, Greene county, New York, that the boy, at the early age of seven years, began to exhibit his peculiar fondness of the art in which he afterward rendered himself so noted. Poverty prevented him from enjoying any advantages whatever, and even before
he began to handle the pen he would criticise chirography with remarkably good taste, and penmanship reform so constantly occupied his mind that even while playing as a boy he would spend much time in practicing graceful outlines in the sand with a stick, or even with his toes. Up to the time he was seven and a half years old he had not been the happy owner of a full sheet of paper. At that time, having fortunately in his possession a cent, he dispatched it by a lumberman to Catskill, which, though twenty miles distant, was the nearest market, for the purchase of the coveted full sheet of paper. The lumber­man returned to the residence of the boy about midnight, with the sheet tightly rolled up and tied with a black thread, and it was considerably wrinkled, as he had carried it all the way in his bosom; but with all this young Platt was especially happy in beholding the treasure.  He was considerably disappointed, however, with his first efforts at writing upon it.
     His father dying in 1806, his mother moved with her family to Jefferson, Ohio, in 1810, and soon after the older boys began to find business and homes elsewhere. The enthusiastic boy found much pleasure in spending his leisure time on the lake shore, practicing his favorite art and studying the graceful outlines of nature. He had in him the ele­ments of a true poet. It is indeed doubtful whether a person brought up in a city can become poetical; but certain minds, in the loneliness of rural retreats, are sure to be " born again" into the kingdom of poetry, in which they ever after linger despite all the vicissitudes of life.
     In his twelfth year, our lad enjoyed his first year at school, at Conneaut, "where he, par­titioned off his desk in a corner that he might pursue his studies undisturbed, and make the most, of every opportunity. He furnished the copies for the school, with the accompanying instructions, and here also he made his first attempts at versification, in which during all his life he frequently indulged, with considerable ability and taste. Being anxious to study arithmetic, he walked twenty miles barefoot over a frozen road to obtain a copy of Daboll. On this trip his only food was a raw turnip, which he chanced to find. Night overtaking him on his return, he, being too bashful to ask for lodging at a residence, sought lodgment in a barn.
     After leaving school he clerked awhile in stores, where he had much opportunity to practice his penmanship. Before he reached his twentieth year he invented what has ever since been known as the "semi-angular" system of penmanship, which proved so graceful that it served all the purposes of beautiful chirography and gave the inventor a notoriety throughout the United States.
     For many years Mr. Spencer taught penmanship in a small log schoolhouse south of Geneva, and afterward removed to a better building in the town. The first publication of his system by himself was in 1848, and in the form of copy slips with printed instructions. In this he was associated with Victor M. Rice, a former pupil, who afterward be­came Superintendent of Public Instruction for the State of New York. In 1859 he was induced to present his system in a copy-book form. In 1861, in connection with his sons and. J. W. Lusk, he revised his system, which was published by Fhinney & Co. of Buffalo, and afterward by Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & Co., of New York. Since Mr. Spencer's death the care of the system has fallen to his sons, who do it honor.
     "During life Mr. Spencer adopted the temperance and anti-slavery reforms. Taking
also a deep interest in historical subjects, especially in those relating to his own locality, he joined the Ashtabula Historical and Philosophical Society, and remained a member until his death, which took place May 16, 1864, after an illness of several weeks, —the event being mourned by all who ever knew him, and that circle of acquaintance was remarkably large. He was a gentleman in every good sense of that term, a man of sweet spirit and irresistible influence for all that is noble.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)

DR. LUMAN P. STURTEVANT, who stands in the front ranks of the medical profession in Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Crawford county, Pennsylvania, March 16, 1846, son of Timothy and Rachel (Fisher) Sturtevant. His father was born in New York, July 19, 1813, and at the age of five years went to Pennsylvania, where he remained until 1874.  The past nineteen years he has been a resident of Conneaut, Ohio, and now makes his home with the subject of this sketch. A carpenter by trade, he was for many years engaged in contracting and building, his life being one of activity and  usefulness. The Doctor's mother was born in Berkshire county, Massachusetts, October 8, 1811, and. died November 24, 1887. Her father, Elezar Fisher, was in the war of 1812, and her grandfather Fisher was a Revolutionary soldier. She was a member of the Christian Church, as also is her husband, and for the past thirty years he has been a Deacon in the church. Mr. and Mrs. Sturtevant had six children, namely: E. F., a resident of Conneaut; Homer, who died at the age of twenty months; Anna M., wife of W. P. Laucks, of Kearney county, Kansas; L. P., the subject of this article; Mary J., wife of W. H. Limb, of Springfield, Ohio; and William H., a resident of Sharpsville, Mercer county, Pennsylvania.
     Dr. Sturtevant was educated in the common schools and academy and received his medical education in Cleveland, being a graduate of the Homeopathic Hospital College with the class of 1874. While in college he had two years' experience in hospital work, and in June, 1874, immediately after his graduation, he began the practice of his profession in Conneaut, where lie has since remained, meeting with good success. He now has a large and lucrative practice. He is a member of the Homeopathic Medical Society of Ohio, the American Institute of Homeopathy, and the Homeopathic Society of Erie county, Pennsylvania.
     December 24,1872, Dr. Sturtevant married Miss Callie E. Fruit, daughter of William and Sarah Fruit, of Sharpsville, Pennsylvania. Her father, in company with William Scott and James Pierce, developed the first coal mine in Mercer county, Pennsylvania. He died in 1879, aged sixty-seven years. His four children are as follows: Sarah, wife of James Trimble, Philadelphia; Mary, wife of F. Livermore, Mercer county, Pennsylvania, is deceased; Mrs. Sturtevant; William W., who died at the age of thirty-seven years.
     Both the Doctor and his wife are members of the Christian Church. For many years he has been a member of the official board and has also served as Sabbath-school Superintendent a number of years. He affiliates with the Masonic fraternity, being a member of the blue lodge, chapter, council an I commandery, having filled the offices of Worshipful Master in the blue lodge and High Priest in the chapter. He is also a member of the Knights of Honor and the Royal Templars of Temperance, and has been presiding officer in these organizations for some years. Politically, he is a Republican. Dr. Sturtevant is in the prime of an active manhood. He is public spirited and generous; believes in keeping pace with the times, and especially does he keep posted in all matter pertaining to his profession. Dr. Miriam and Dr. Ward are the only physicians now living in Conneaut who were here when he located in the city. Both professionally and otherwise, he has the respect and esteem of all who know him.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)

GEORGE W. SWANEY, deceased, was a veteran of the Civil War and a leading citizen of Ashtabula County.  He was born in Pennsylvania, in 1835.
     George W. Swaney spent his boyhood on his father's farm and attended the district schools.  At an early age he went to Wisconsin, where he became a prominent lumber man.  Mr. Swaney owned land there and remained there until 1883, at which time he removed to Ashtabula county, and lied retired at Amboy until the time of his death, July 22, 1915.
     During the Civil War, Mr. Swaney served with a Wisconsin company and was wounded while in action.  Mr. Swaney was a Republican, a member of the Methodist Church, and belonged to the Grand Army of the Republic.
     On July 6, 1865, Mr. Swaney was united in marriage with Miss Lydia Puffer, a native of Erie County, Pa., born Sept. 6, 1838, and the daughter of Erastus and Dianna (Catlin) Puffer.  Mr. Puffer settled in Ashtabula County in 1848 and operated a farm in Conneaut Township for many years.  Mr. and Mrs. Puffer were the parents of the following children:  Harriet, married Francis Jerrils, both deceased; Caroline, married Seth Potter, both deceased; Sarah, William, deceased; Mrs. Swaney; Eliza, married Perry Ryan, both deceased;  Henry, lives in Pennsylvania; Benjamin and Anna, deceased; and Henrietta, married Allen Turner, deceased, and she lives at Amboy, Ohio.  Mr. and Mrs. Swaney reared an adopted son, Frank Puffer Swaney, who was born June 12, 1865.  He lives at Denver, Colo., and is a locomotive engineer.
     Mrs. Swaney lives at Amboy, where she owns her home and a small farm.  She is a member of the Methodist Church and has voted the Republican ticket once.  Mrs. Swaney is a well known citizen of Ashtabula County and is highly esteemed.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
NOTE:  Buried in City Cemetery


Note 1:  
Source 1 - Biographical History of Northeastern, Ohio Embracing the Counties of Ashtabula, Geauga and Lake.
Containing Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States with a Biography of each, together with Portraits and Biographies of Joshua R. Giddings, Benjamin F. Wade and a large number of Early Settlers and Representative Families of today.
Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company - 1893.
Note 2:
Source 2 - History of Ashtabula County, Ohio by Mrs. Moina W. Large - 1924
NOTE:  There will be an asterisk (*) next to the biographies that have a portrait.

Back to Table of Contents - History of Ashtabula Co., Ohio

This webpage created by Sharon Wick 2008