History of
Ashtabula Co., Ohio

SOURCE: History of Ashtabula County, Ohio
Large, Moina W.  Topeka :: Historical Pub. Co.,, 1924, 1132 pgs.

NOTE:  Other Biographies will have a note stating their sources.

ALSO NOTE:  I will transcribe biographies upon request.  Please state the County and State in the Subject line of the email. ~ SW



* PADUANO, Leonard A.
* PAINE, C. H.
* PAINE, W. C.
* PALMER, A. B. C.
* PALO, J. E.
* PARDEE, I. H., Dr.
* PATRICK, Nicholas
* PAYNE, Carl W.
* PAYNE, Frank
* PEASE, Henry
* PEASE, Irwin
* PEASE, Ray A.
* PECK, C. M.
* PECK, Carl M.
* PECK, D. L.
* PECK, J. L.
* PECK, Ray B.
* PECK, Roy
* PERALA, Victor
* PERRY, M., & Sons
* PFISTER, Edward
* PELTON, Cushman W.
* PFISTER, Edward
* PHILLIPS, Ellen, J., Mrs.
* PICKARD, Arthur J.
* PILMER, Joseph E.
* PITCHER, Ralph H.
* PLATT, Lee
* POOLE, Henry H.
* POTTI, Charles
* PRAHL, Carl, Mrs.
* PRATT, Charles A. B.
* PUFFER, George
* PUTNAM, Charles Sumner
* PUTNAM, Walter E.

LEONARD A. PADUANO is a progressive and enterprising merchant of Conneaut.  He was born in Italy, June 5, 1885, and is the son of Joseph and Theresa (Venditti) Paduano, who came to this country and remained four years after which they returned to their native land.  Mr. Paduano died in 1917, and his wife died in 1913.  They were the parents of three children:  Leonard, the subject of this sketch; Antonietta, married Paul Cappuccilli, lives at Syracuse, N. Y.; and Nunziata, died and left three children:  Antoinetta, Rose and Anthony, all live in Cleveland, Ohio.
     Leoanrd A. Paduano came to America in 1901 and located in Cleveland, Ohio, where he was employed four years, later removing to Conneaut.  After being in the employ of the Nickel Plate Railroad for a number of years, he opened a general store in Conneaut in May, 1922.  Mr. Paduano also has a gasoline station in connection with his store and has built up quite an extensive trade.
     On May 22, 1905, Mr. Paduano was married to Miss Mary Incaronata Iorio, who was born in Italy, Oct. 14, 1885, the daughter of Frank and Magdelina Iorio, natives of Italy.  Mr. Iorio died in 1914 and his wife resides in Italy.  Mrs. Paduano was their only child.  To Mr. and Mrs. Paduano have been born four children:  Nunziata, Gerald, Theresa, and Magdelina.
     Mr. Paduano
is a Republican and he and his family are members of the Catholic Church.
(See Note 2 below for Source)

A. B. C. PALMER, superintendent of the division of electricity for the city of Ashtabula, is one of the well known and substantial citizens of the county.  He was born at Fitchville, in Huron County, Ohio, July 14, 1872, and is the son of Edwin and Mary (Chase) Palmer.
     A. B. C. Palmer
was reared and educated at Fitchville, Ohio, and his first business position was with the Western Union Telegraph Company.  He later was connected with telephone work and did construction work in long distance division.  On Jan. 28, 1900, Mr. Palmer came to Ashtabula and entered the employ of the city.  Since his connection with the electric light plant, many improvements have been made in the service, a new power plant being completed in 1921 at a cost of $1,000,000.  All power and light in the city of Ashtabula is furnished by the local plant and the city railway street cars are also operated by the city power.  Electric power is also furnished to several towns near Ashtabula, including Jefferson and Rock Creek.
     In 1900 Mr. Palmer was married at Norwalk, Ohio, to Miss Byrd Tucker, a native of Fitchville, Ohio, and the daughter of Edgar and Mary (Clark) Tucker, natives of New York.
     Mr. Palmer takes an active interest in the Ashtabula Chamber of Commerce.  He is a man of integrity and ability and is an excellent citizen.
(See Note 2 below for Source)

JOHN JAMISON PEARCE, a member of the Central Pennsylvania Methodist Episcopal Conference, and a resident of Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Luzerne, Pennsylvania, February 28,1826, son of Rev. Marmaduke and Hannah (Stuart) Pearce, the latter being a descendant of Prince John Alden, who came over in the Mayflower. His paternal ancestor, Edward Pearce, served in the battle of the Boyne.
     Rev. Marmaduke Pearce was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, August 18, 1776, and was a self-educated man. He was inti­mately associated with Dr. George Peck (brother of Bishop Jesse T. Peck,) who, in his history of Methodism in the Wyoming valley, says: " Rev. Marmaduke Pearce was the strongest man in the Genesee Conference, although he seldom ever spoke." He was for years a Presiding Elder, and for many years was stationed in Baltimore and other prominent places. He was again and again elected a delegate to the General Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church. After a long and useful life he passed to his reward, his death occurring in Berwick, Columbia county, Pennsylvania, September 11, 1852. His wife was born in 1781, and died at Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania, October 21, 1859. She was a member of the church from her early girlhood, and her whole life was characterized by the sweetest of Christian graces. They had three children. Stewart, the oldest, was born November 26, 1820, and died October 13, 1882. He was a man of prominence in his day, was a historian of some note, served two terms in the Legislature of Pennsylvania; was Postmaster of Wilkes Barre, Pennsylvania, eight years, and served as Collector of Tolls on the Pennsylvania Canal and Railroad at Columbia, Pennsylvania, for some time. While occupying the last named position he lost his eyesight, and thereafter used an amanuensis. He accumulated a large fortune, and in his will left $27,000 to various benevolences. He was a believer in the Christian religion and died in that faith. During his life he placed ten or twelve memorial slabs over various points in the Wyoming valley, where, during the Indian history, noted events occurred. It should be here stated that John Jameson, grandfather of our subject, was the last man massacred by the Indians in the Wyoming valley. Stewart Pearce was never married. Cromwell, the second of the family, was born July 1, 1823, and died June 16, 1872. He was a graduate of law; was married November 27, 1861, to Miss Sarah H. Taylor, of Owego, New York, and was a genial, jolly man, kind-hearted and generous, and a favorite with all.
     Rev. John J. Pearce is the youngest of the family and the only one left to bear his father's name. He became an itinerant minister when a boy less than eighteen years of age, and in 1844 joined the Baltimore Conference, of which he was a member ten years. His first work was on Lycoming circuit. At that time nearly all ministers of the conference were circuit riders. In 1854 he was elected to the Thirty-fourth Congress, and while a member of that body voted for General N. P. Banks for Speaker; was closely associated with Hon. Joshua R. Giddings, and a great admirer of Benjamin Wade, who was in the Senate at that time.
     In 1857, Mr. Pearce was transferred to the Wyoming Conference, and was stationed at Kingston, Pennsylvania; in 1858 he was at Owego, New York; in 1859 to 1861, was Presiding Elder of the Owego District; and from 1862 to 1864, was Presiding Elder of the Honesdale District. In 1865-66, he was in the State of Delaware. He was transferred to the Philadelphia Conference in 1867, and was stationed at Philadelphia, from which place he was sent to Pottsville, where he remained from 1868 to 1870. In 1874 he was transferred to the Central Pennsylvania Conference and stationed at Mulberry Street Church, Williamsport, where he rendered efficient service three years. Then from 1877 until 1880, he was Presiding Elder of the Williamsport District, after which he was stationed at Huntingdon, Pennsylvania, three years, and three years at Lewistown, same State. Since then he has sustained a supernumerary relation to the conference. In all these years he has been an earnest and faithful worker for the Master, and has been the means of accomplishing a vast amount of good. He spent some time in lecturing throughout the State of Pennsylvania upon the vital subjects:  "Is there a future retribution? The truthfulness of Christianity," and kindred topics.
     Mr. Pearce moved to Conneaut in 1892 and here invested in considerable property, which has rapidly increased in value. He is a great admirer of tine horses, and after his hours of study—for he is a student yet—it is his delight to take a drive behind his prancing steeds. His home surroundings are everything that would indicate culture and refinement.
     Mr. Pearce was married February 22,1848, to Miss Elizabeth Dunn, daughter of Washington Dunn, the owner of the Great Island in Clinton county, Pennsylvania, and a sister of Judge William Dunn, a celebrated politician of Pennsylvania, now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Pearce have four children, namely: Stewart, a railroad employee in Conneaut, married Miss Lide McGinley, and has three children: Stewart, John J. and Donald; Anna M., wife of H. S. Schalk, of Conneaut, general dispatcher on the Nickel Plate Railroad, has two children: John Pearce and Marmaduke; Bessie D., wife of F. A. Howard, a wholesale grocer of Chester, Pennsylvania, has four children: Pearce, Mary, Frederick and Ned; and Grace, a graduate of the Poston School of Oratory, is a noted elocutionist.
     Mrs. Pearce and all the children, with one exception, are members of the Methodist Church. Fraternally Mr. Pearce is identified with the Masonic order, and is also a member of the K. of P. In politics, he is a Republican.
(For Source, see Note 1 Below)

IRWIN PEASE, engineer on the Nickel Plate railroad, and a worthy citizen of  Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Chautauqua county, New York, March 17, 1859, son of Russell and Harriet M. (Cruiser) Pease.
     Russell Pease, his father, was born in Bennington, Vermont, and was for many years a resident of Dunkirk, New York, where he was well known and highly respected. He owned a farm and superintended its cultivation, at the same time being in the employ of the New York, Lake Erie & Western Railroad. His people were Presbyterians, in which faith he lived and died. He was a Jackson Democrat and a politician, and at various times held minor offices in the town in which he lived. He died February 18,1870, at the age of forty-one years. Harriet M. (Cruiser) Pease is a daughter of Samuel and Hannah Cruiser, and one of a family of four sons and two daughters, all of whom are living except one, Edward, who was killed in his first battle in the late war. Her father was accidentally killed on the railroad. The mother, now about ninety years of age, is being tenderly cared for at Dunkirk, New York, by her daughter, Mrs. Pease.
     Irwin Pease is an only child. He completed a high school education at Dunkirk, and in 1877 started out in life as fireman on the New York, Lake Erie & Western Railroad. After firing on that road three years he was employed in the same capacity one year on the Dunkirk, Allegheny Valley & Pittsburg Railroad, then, in 1881, being promoted to engineer. He began service with the Nickel Plate and came to Conneaut in 1883. He was fireman on this road a short time before getting a position as engineer, but nearly ever since he entered the employ of this company he has served as engineer on a freight train. His efficient service has gained him a steady position and brought him into favor with his employers. By economy and judicious investment he has acquired a competency, and is not only regarded as one of the highly esteemed citizens of Conneaut, but also as one who is well-to-do.
     He was married May 2, 1880, to Miss Mattie J. Featherston, daughter of John and Mary E. Featherston. She was born in Milton, Canada, where her father was engaged in the harness business for many years. He died when she was quite young at Baltimore, Maryland. Soon after the war the Featherston family moved to Cleveland, Ohio, and subsequently located in Vermillion, Erie county, this State. The mother died in 1885, aged forty-eight years. Of the four children composing this family we make record as follows: Melvin, the oldest, resides in Conneaut; he married Mary Nuhn of Lorain county, Ohio, and their only child is Freddie; Anna, the second born, wife of Willis Newberry, died at the age of twenty-nine years, leaving three children—Mabel, Bessie and Johnie; Mrs. Pease was next in order of birth; Charles, the youngest, died at the age of four years.
     Mr. and Mrs. Pease have two children, Bertram Irwin and Howard Russell.
Both he and his wife are members of the Episcopal Church, of which he is a Vestryman.  He is a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers. In political matters he affiliates with the Republican party.
(For Source, see Note 1 Below)

C. M. PECK, rural mail carrier out of Kingsville, is a substantial and highly esteemed citizen of Ashtabula County.  He was born at Kingsville, Oct. 17, 1860, and is the son of Anson and Ellen (Loomis) Peck.
     Anson Peck
was an early settler of Ashtabula County.  He lived at Kingsville for many years and was a settler of Ashtabula County.  He lived at Kingsville for many years and was a wagon maker by trade.  He died in 1920, and his wife died in 1917.
     C. M. Peck received his education in the schools of Charlestown, Ohio, and also attended the old academy at Kingsville.  For a number of years he was employed at the basket factory there and later engaged in the general merchandise business.  After being in business for 15 years.  Mr. Peck became a rural mail carrier in 1910 and has since served in that capacity.
     In 1882, Mr. Peck was married to Miss Mary Morris, a native of Charlestown, Ohio, and a daughter of S. B. and Sophia (Brown) Morris.  Mr. Morris died in 1918 and his wife died in 1923.  They were the parents of two children:  Mrs. Peck; and Mrs.. R. H. Richa, whose husband is a professor of English in the University of Kansas.  To C. M. and May (Morris) Peck five children have been born as follows:  Carl M., married Jesse Sheldon, lives in Ashtabula, has one son, Sheldon; Raymond, Principal of the high school at Garrettsville, Ohio, married Frances, Karnes; Nora; Ellen, lives in Columbus; Lucile, wife of Z. J. Davis, postmaster at Kingsville, ahs four children, Allen, Stanley, Rosamond and Elizabeth; Zada, wife Homer C. Porter, lives at Kingsville, and has five children, Charles, Raymond, Jean, Rachel and Fay.
Politically, Mr. Peck is a Republican.  He and his family are members of the Presbyterian Church and he belongs to the Masonic lodge.
(See Note 2 below for Source)

CUSHMAN W. PELTON, of the firm of C. W. Pelton & Bro., Conneaut, proprietors of one of the largest general merchandise stores in Ashtabula county, was born in Trumbull county, Ohio, January 7, 1847, son of Winthrop F. and Sophronia C. (Beers) Pelton, both natives of this State.
     From the history of Trumbull county we learn that he is a descendant of John Pelton, who came from county Essex, England, to Boston, Massachusetts, in 1634.  Josiah Pelton of Granby, Connecticut, traded a mill property for what is now the north half of the township of Gustavus, Trumbull county, and came out here on horseback in the summer of 1800 to locate his land in the unbroken wilderness. Upon his return the same season he announced that he would give 100 acres of land to the woman who would first make her home on his tract. His son Jesse quickly accepted the offer in behalf of Ruhanna DeWolf, also of Granby, being assured that she was willing to undertake with him the hardships of pioneer life. They made the long and fatiguing journey in the spring of 1801, and on the 4th of June they "raised" their log house—the first in the township. Another brother soon followed Jesse, and in the spring of 1802  Josiah Pelton came out with the rest of the family, eight children in all, the seventh of whom— Julius—was the grandfather of C. W. Pelton. Winthrop Folsome Pelton, the father of our subject, was born at Gustavus, this State, June 30, 1818, and his wile, also a native of Ohio, was born in 1823. They were married by Rev. E. B. Chamberlain, September 3, 1836, and for near half a century their lives were blended in happy union. After a long life, full of activity and replete with good works, he was called to his reward above, his death occurring March I, 1893. His widow and five sons survive. Mr. Pelton was a member of the Presbyterian Church and an active worker in the same for many years. At the time when our country was in danger of dissolution, he proved his devotion to the flag by uniting his fortunes with those of the Sixth Ohio Cavalry as veterinary surgeon, in December, 1861, and serving during the war. The greater part of his active life was spent in Wayne, this county. He came to Conneaut in 1884, and tilled for some years a responsible position in the store of his son, C. W. Pelton, failing health compelling his retirement. Here, by his affability as well as his inclination to sociability in society and church, he won the high esteem of all. Mrs. Pelton is also a member of the Presbyterian Church. Following is a brief record in regard to their six children: C. W., whose name stands at the head of this article, is the oldest of the family; Chapin B., the second, is married and resides at Plattville, Wisconsin; Judd is married and settled at Auburn, New York; Arvine W. married Miss Eva L. Rowe of Chagrin Falls, Ohio, and is a resident of Conneaut, a member of the firm of C. W. Pelton & Brother; Ellsworth, in the store with his brothers, married Sadie Reed, daughter of Robert M. Reed, and has three children: Robert; and John W., who was married in 1888 to Miss Linna Phillips, had two children,—Sophronia and Delphine. John Pelton died of black diphtheria February 8, 1893, and his little daughter Delphine, aged a year and a half, died the following day of the same disease.
     C. W. Pelton was a mere lad when the war broke out, but in February, 1864, young as he was, he enlisted in the army, becoming a member of Company D, Second Ohio Volunteer Cavalry, in the First Brigade of the Third Division of the Cavalry Corps of the Army of the Potomac, General Ouster being the division commander. Young Pelton was taken prisoner at Ream's Station, Virginia, June 29, 1864, and was confined in Libby prison five months, his health being greatly impaired at the end of that time. His treatment while at Libby was brutal in the extreme. No picture of prison life there was ever overdrawn. After his parole Mr. Pelton was taken to Annapolis, where after regaining sufficient health he was detailed as clerk at headquarters, in which capacity he served until he was mustered out in August, 1865. It was four or five years after the war before be regained his health; indeed, he has never been perfectly well since, but has never applied for a pension.
     In the spring of 1866, Mr. Pelton went to Oberlin, Ohio, and took a commercial course at the Calkins & Griffin Commercial Institute.
     As a businessman, C. W. Pelton, the head of the firm mentioned at the beginning of this article, is well and favorably known throughout northeastern Ohio. He has been in the dry goods trade ever since he was a small boy, beginning as clerk and afterward serving as traveling salesman. For eleven years before establishing his present business he was.connected with the old firm of Alcott, Horton & Co. at Cleveland, Ohio. In August, 1882, he came to Conneaut and embarked in trade on his own account, beginning on a small scale, and from time to time increasing his facilities. His annual business has increased from $20,000 in 1882 to $103,000 in the past year, and he is now doing the largest business in the county. The firm occupy commodious quarters in the Stanley block. They have sixty feet frontage on Main street, 100 feet deep, with an L 40 x 44 feet, fronting on Washington street. Few stores of any class present a brighter and more impressive appearance, and it would be a difficult undertaking to plan an interior more in harmony with metropolitan designs. They carry a general stock of merchandise, divided into five departments, with a responsible head in each department. Mr. Pelton is, indeed, one of the most public spirited and enterprising men of this place. He is a stockholder and director in the Conneaut Mutual Loan Association, and the Conneaut Electric Lighting Company.
     Of his private life we record that Mr. Pelton has been twice married. He first
wedded Miss Carolina Gifford, daughter of David S. Gifford of Conneaut, and they had two children, Barbara B. and Julius. Some time after the death of his first wife he married Miss Rhoda Baughton, daughter of Seymour A. Baughton, also of Conneaut. Their children are Albert and Charlotte. Both he and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, of which he is a Trustee. He has served as Sabbath school Superintendent for three years. He is a prominent Mason, being Past Eminent Commander of the Commandery.
     Such, in brief, is a sketch of the life of one of Conneaut's most successful business men and highly esteemed citizens.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)


HENRY H. POOLE, one of the progressive and enterprising farmers of Ashtabula county, Ohio, and at this writing Trustee of Conneaut township, was born in Erie county, Pennsylvania, November 18, 1843, son of Calvin and Harriet (Trowbridge) Poole. His honored father, a resident of Ashtabula county for a number of years, now living retired at Conneaut, is one of the venerable citizens of the place. The facts as gleaned in regard to his life are as follows: Calvin Poole was born in Canandaigua, New York, April 22, 1811, son of Calvin and Hannah (Perkins) Poole, both natives of the Empire State. The senior Calvin Poole was a carpenter by trade and a school teacher by profession. The first school west of the Genesee river was taught by him. However, he never came farther West than New York. He was more than ninety years of age at the time he died. His wife died in 1813. They had three children, of whom Calvin was the youngest, and is the only one now living. The oldest was Archibald, and the second born was Abigail M., who was the wife of Emanuel C. Henshaw. Calvin was reared on the farm, and has been engaged in agricultural pursuits all his life. In 1872 he located in Conneaut, and has remained here ever since.  For a time he was a partner in the grocery business with his son-in-law, J. A. Caldwell.
     Calvin Poole was married in 1833 to Miss Harriet Trowbridge, daughter of Daniel and Dollie (Shears) Trowbridge, a native of Ithaca, New York. Mrs. Poole's grandfather, Zachariah Shears, was a native of Massachusetts, and at one time was a member of the Assembly. He was a wealthy land holder and stock dealer and reared a large family. Mr. and Mrs. Poole have had seven children, namely: Dollie M., wife of C. R. Beechling, of Erie, Pennsylvania, has two children by him, Harriet G. and Calvina M., and by her former husband, Pressly Caldwell, had one child, Jennie Bell; Daniel P., who died at the acre of twenty-one years; Delia D., wife of J. A. Caldwell; Emma E., wife of B. Bingham, died at about the age of thirty-five, leaving four children, Harriet R., Frank H., Fred D. and John P.; John C, a member of the One Hundredth and Forty-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, Company C, was wounded in the battle of the Wilderness and died from the effect of wounds, aged about twenty-one; Henry Harrison, whose name heads this article; and Harriet Sophia, wife of Dennis McCarty, died at the age of thirty-three.
     During his residence in Erie county, Pennsylvania, Calvin Poole was appointed keeper of the infirmary of that county, which position he filled ten years, and while there both he and his wife were highly complimented for their efficient service. In political matters Mr. Poole takes an active interest, being a thorough Republican.
     H. H. Poole was early in life engaged in farming. In 1868 he turned his attention to the oil business in Pennsylvania, continuing such connection two years. After that he was employed as fireman on the Lake Shore Railroad, running between Erie and Cleveland, and since 1870 he has been identified with the farming interests of Ashtabula county. He has served as School Director for more than a dozen years, and for nearly as long was Supervisor of Highways. He was elected Township Trustee in 1887, and has held the office continuously up to the present time, his election to this office being without parallel here, as he had no opposition whatever. He was Captain of the State police for four years, then, after an interim of two years, was again elected, and is now the incumbent of that office. He is an ardent Republican. In Masonic circles he holds prominent rank, having taken the degrees in the blue lodge, chapter, council and commandery, and holding official position in each.
     Mr. Poole was married February 2, 1871, to Miss Mary U. Brown, daughter of Samuel C. and Eva Brown, of Erie county, Pennsylvania. Her father died in 1863, aged about fifty-five, and her mother is still living, now about eighty-two years old.  Following is a record of Mr. and Mrs. Brown's family: John T., who married Sarah A. Fickenger, resides on a farm in Erie county, Pennsylvania; Sarah, widow of John McKee, Girard township, same county; Samuel C., who married Clara Stohlman, lives at Mill Creek, Erie county, Pennsylvania; William M., who married Rosanna Love, is also a resident of Mill Creek; Mrs. Poole; George W., who married Henrietta Fehr, is a resident of Mill Creek; Charles F. E., who married Mary Fickenger, is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Poole have had five children: John C. P., Bessie C., Harry S., Charley and Willie G. Bessie C. died March 10, 1892, at the age of sixteen years, and Charlie died in infancy.
     Such, in brief, is a sketch of one of the prominent and highly respected families of Ashtabula county.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)

CHARLES SUMNER PUTNAM was born May 27, 1859, in a little red cottage on the farm of his grandfather, in Stockton, Chautauqua county, New York. His parents were Welcome and Maria L. (Flagg) Putnam. The father was born and raised and also died on this farm—dying in October, 1872, at the age of fifty-two years. He was a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and one of its pillars in the little community where he lived. He was an enterprising, intelligent, public-spirited citizen, of good education and well read, possessed of the strictest integrity. He was a stanch Republican from the date of the organization of that party. His unbounded admiration for that champion of human liberty, Charles Sumner, was the cause of his naming his son after the great statesman. His wife survived him until March, 1892, dying at the age of seventy years. She was a woman of great energy, kindness and cheerfulness, and a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal Church nearly all her life. Two children were born to them—the subject of this sketch, and May V., born 1861, and now the wife of W. B. Horton, an insurance agent of Janestown, New York.
     The mother, however, was a widow of James Putnam, a cousin of the father, at the time of their marriage. By her first marriage she had one son, Edgar P. Putnam, of Jamestown, New York, who is now (1893) forty-nine years of age. He enlisted in the war in 1861, at the age of seventeen years, and served until its close. He entered as a private in the Ninth. New York cavalry, and was mustered out with the rank of Major, later on receiving from Congress one of its special medals of honor, awarded for distinguished services and acts of bravery on fields of battle. During the war he was wounded twice and had two horses shot from under him. He was in the Army of the Potomac, serving during the latter portion of the war for a time on General Sheridan's staff. After the close of the war he went to Minnesota, where he obtained employment on the Government surveys. His energy and faculty of command were soon the means of placing him at the head of a surveying party, and for several years he was engaged in the arduous work of surveying townships and sections in northern Minnesota counties, at all times far away in an unbroken wilderness. While engaged in this work he became an expert in selecting and locating valuable tracts of pine lands, which were purchased from the Government by capitalists at the nominal sum of $1.25 per acre. Into these lands he put every dollar of his savings, and in 1874, owing to greatly impaired health from over­work, he sold his lands at a handsome figure and returned with his family to Jamestown, New York, to reside, After a time, with returning health, he engaged in the drug business. He was appointed Postmaster of the city of Jamestown by President Arthur, and succeeded in getting the free delivery service established there, but was removed from office soon after President Cleveland's election. Two years later (1888), he was elected County Clerk of Chautauqua county. He refused a re-nomination after serving most acceptably his three-years' term of office, and I returned to his home in Jamestown, and soon after became identified with the management of the Chautauqua County National Bank. For a number of years he has been active in politics, holding the position of chairman of the county executive committee of the Republican party during several campaigns, and is regarded as one of the leading Republicans of western New York. He is a man of excellent business qualifications and has accumulated an independent fortune in his various avocations.
     Two years after his father's death the subject of this sketch removed with his mother and sister from the home of his boyhood to Jamestown, where for two years he attended the union high school. In 1876 he came to Conneaut, Ohio, where his grandparents then resided, and entered the office of the Conneaut Reporter as an apprentice. March 8, 1878, at the age of eighteen, he was married to Laura E., daughter of E. A. and Eliza A. Stone. Two children have been born to them —Eppie May, born June 3,1879, and Walter, born February 14, 1886. Mrs. Putnam was born June 23,1858. She is a member of the Christian Church of Conneaut.
     In the fall of 1878, he, in company with his brother-in-law, L. Y. Stone, engaged in their first business venture by establishing the Conneaut Express. After publishing this paper a year in Conneaut, Mr. Stone sold his interest in the same to G. P. Foster, of Geneva, Ohio, and the plant was moved to that village, where the publication of the Express was continued, our subject continuing as its editor and manager another year, when, after a long and very serious illness, he sold his interest in the newspaper. With return­ing health he moved to Cleveland, Ohio, where he remained a year engaged in working at his trade on daily newspapers and in job offices. Again returning to Conneaut, he purchased a half interest in the Reporter, in 1882, and in company with J. P. Rieg, con­tinued in its publication until 1889, when he sold his interest in the business to Mr, Rieg. During 1888, he held, by appointment from the Governor of Ohio, the office of Lake Erie Warden. His duties in enforcing the laws of the State relative to fishing in Lake Erie, called forth various and exciting experiences in dealing with the many rough and law-breaking fishermen. Resigning his office after one year's experience in that capacity, he at once engaged in successfully carrying out a large newspaper advertising contract which he had secured from one of the leading advertisers of the country.
     In 1890, at the outset of the work then begun on the eleventh census, he was appointed a Special Agent in the field work pertaining to farms, homes and mortgages.  At the conclusion of his work in the field he was called to Washington by the Superintendent of census, and appointed a clerk in the Census bureau. He continued in that employ two years, resigning his position in June, 1892, to return to his home in Conneaut once more and engage in his present business, embracing furniture, carpets, curtains, and undertaking in its scope. In June, 1893, he associated with himself Mr. C. H. Simonds, of Jefferson, Ohio, under the firm name of Putnam & Simonds.
     As may be imagined from the foregoing sketch, our subject is an active, aggressive Republican in politics, and has done much work for the party during the past fifteen years, both in the capacity of a newspaper writer and as an active participant in local and State politics.
     The Putnams of this county are principally the descendants of John Putnam, who, with three sons, emigrated from England to the colony of Massachusetts in the seventeenth century. The race of Putnams, while not so numerous as many others, is one characteristically strong and noted for the traits of honor, honesty, patriotism, integrity, and tenacity of purpose with which its individuals are imbued, as exemplified by the lives and actions of those bearing this name. It is an occurrence most rare indeed to see or hear the name of Putnam coupled with criminal transactions, and it is an undoubted fact that whenever such case is discovered, a taint in the individual will be found to have been in­herited from some other source through mar­riage relations.
     The subject of this sketch is a descendant along the same branch, though not directly, which produced General Israel Putnam, of Revolutionary fame, and he is more directly a descendant from General Rufus Putnam, a Revolutionary soldier of distinction, and the founder of Marietta, Ohio. Captain Andrew Putnam, a near relative of General Rufus, moved from Massachusetts, and finally settled in Chautauqua county, New York, in 1817, while it was practically yet a wilderness of forest. His entire family of thirteen children (one girl and twelve boys) accompanied him.  Newell, the oldest son, and the grandfather of our subject, soon took up a farm of 100 acres near that of his father's, and in time had cleared some sixty acres of it. He lived upon this farm over forty years. Becoming too old for farm labor, he disposed of it to his son, Welcome, and removed to Conneaut, Ohio, where he resided some twenty years at the Center, close beside the home of his daughter, Mrs. Rev. O. T. Wyman.  But after the death of his wife, in 1887, he returned to Chautauqua county and took up his home with Mrs. Wyman (Rev. Wyman having moved there two or three years previous). He remained with them until his death, in 1890, at the advanced age of ninety-five years. Newell Putnam was for a short time a soldier in the war of 1812, and was a participant in the battle of Lundy's Lane. In politics he was a Whig and then a Republican. He was a man of sterling character, strong physique, strict honesty and propriety, a teetotaler, and a conscientious Christain of the Baptist faith. He was most highly respected by all who knew him well.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)


Note 1:  
Source 1 - Biographical History of Northeastern, Ohio Embracing the Counties of Ashtabula, Geauga and Lake.
Containing Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States with a Biography of each, together with Portraits and Biographies of Joshua R. Giddings, Benjamin F. Wade and a large number of Early Settlers and Representative Families of today.
Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company - 1893.
Note 2:
Source 2 - History of Ashtabula County, Ohio by Mrs. Moina W. Large - 1924
NOTE:  There will be an asterisk (*) next to the biographies that have a portrait.

Back to Table of Contents - History of Ashtabula Co., Ohio

This webpage created by Sharon Wick 2008