Ashtabula Co., Ohio
SOURCE: History of Ashtabula County, Ohio
Large, Moina W.
Topeka :: Historical Pub. Co.,, 1924, 1132 pgs.
NOTE: Other Biographies will have a note stating their sources.
|* O'BRIEN, Charles B.
* O'BRIEN, Matthew, Rev.
* O'BRIEN, P. H.
* O'DONNELL, William
* OEFFNER, Clyde
* OEFFNER, William
* OLIN, Youngs A.
* OLSON, A. C.
|* ORFORD, J. E.
* ORTH, H. A., Dr.
* OSBORN, Olyman Clark
* OSBORNE, David C.
* OSBORNE, N. B., Dr.
* OSBORNE, Oscar E.
* OWEN, C. H.
|A. C. OLSON,
a well known merchant of North Kingsville, and veteran of the World War,
was born in Ashtabula, June 21, 1891, and is the son of Andrew M. and
Anna (Johnson) Olson.
Andrew M. Olson, who now lives retired in
Ashtabula, is a native of Sweden, as was also his wife. After
coming to this country he engaged in business at Ashtabula for many
years and served as commissioner during Dr. I. H. Pardee's
administration. His wife died April 1, 1916. To Mr. and
Mrs. Olson the following children were born: Charles,
lives at Ashtabula Harbor; Herman, lives in Cleveland; A. C.,
the subject of this sketch; Ethel, lives with her father in
Ashtabula; and LeRoy and Amanda, both deceased.
A. C. Olson was reared and educated in Ashtabula
and after completing his schooling in 1906, engaged in the bakery
business with his brother in Ashtabula. During the period of the
World War, Mr. Olson volunteered for service and was sent
overseas. Upon his return in October, 1919, he established his
present place of business in North Kingsville, which is a wholesale and
retail bakery. He also deals in confections. Mr. Olson
maintains a delivery service throughout the surrounding community and
has a well established trade.
In 1921 Mr. Olson was married to Miss Gail
Osborne, of Kelloggsville, Ohio, the daughter of Andrew and Olive
(Grove) Osborne, residents of Kelloggsville. To Mr. and
Mrs. Olson have been born two children: Donald and
In politics Mr. Olson is identified with the
Republican party. He is a member of the Methodist church and
belongs to the Masonic lodge and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
CLARK OSBORN, second son and child of Samuel Osborn, Jr.,
and Polly (Webster) Osborn, was born in Franklin, Delaware county, New
York, January 1, 1807. He removed with his parents in the fall of 1813, to
Jefferson, Ashtabula county, Ohio, to Erie, Pennsylvania, in 1814, to
Huron county (now Erie), Ohio, in 1817. Here his father died in September,
1819,vand the family returned to Jefferson.
His residence has been since in Ashtabula county, where
his time has been consecutively passed at school, learning the clothes
making trade, running a cloth factory, merchandising, milling, and lastly
on the small fruit farm on which he now lives in Ashtabula. He was married
in Conneaut, Ohio, October 5, 1831, to Harriet Sanford,
daughter of Eli Sanford and Sarah (Wheeler)
Sanford, of Conneaut, who was born in Conneaut, September 16, 1815,
and is still living. Both he and his venerable wife are in comfortable
health and actively engaged in labor,—he with his grapes and fruit and she
keeping the house. Both united early in life with, the Baptist Church, and
have been always active working members in good standing. Mr.
Osborn's paternal and maternal grandfather were Revolutionary
soldiers; his father was long: connected with the militia of Delaware
county, in some command. Of these offices he can only remember that of
adjutant of the regiment. He was out for some time as a volunteer in the
war of 1812. He was a farmer, lumberman and a breeder and lover of good
horses, and he was also a hunter and natural mechanic. He possessed great
physical strength, which proved, however, to be no defense against the
malaria of the section known in those early days as the West.
Mr. Osborn and his wife are of New
England stock, his father coming from East Windsor, Connecticut, and his
mother from Litchfield county, Connecticut. Mrs. Osborn's
father and mother also came from Connecticut. It may be said of his
ancestry on both sides, if not great they were good, being pious, honest,
temperate and industrious.
Mr. and Mrs. Osborn have not been blessed with
children. An adopted daughter, now Mrs. Charles Hall,
of Conneaut holds them in loving, grateful remembrance, as do also two
motherless nieces of Mrs. Osborn—Mrs. Aaron
Pickett and Mrs. Hulburt, of Ashtabula, both of whom
were tenderly reared from childhood to maturity at the home of their aunt.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)
C. OSBORNE, D. D., a prominent minister of the East Ohio
Conference, stationed at Conneaut, Ohio, has long been identified with the
ministry of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Following is a brief sketch of
David C. Osborne was born in Ripley, Chautauqua county, New York,
August 3, 1831, son of P. S. and Mary A. (Platt) Osborne, natives
of Washington county, New York. His father was a tanner, currier and
shoemaker in early life, and later a merchant in Sherman, New York. He
filled several minor offices in his county, and was well known there. He
was reared in the United Presbyterian Church, but became a Methodist and
was a member of that church up to the time of his death, in 1871, at the
age of eighty-three years. His wife died July 31, 1846, at the age of
forty-three. She was a Presbyterian for many years. They had a family of
four sons and six daughters, David C., the subject of this
article, being the oldest. The other sons are Platt S., Harris B.
and James W. Platt S. learned his father's
trade and was engaged in business until death, September 12, 1887. He was
a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and was an active and useful
man, being gifted in music. Harris B. is an eminent physician in
Kalamazoo, Michigan, and James W., also of Kalamazoo, has attained
prominence as an attorney. Of the daughters we record that Lucretia
is the wife of Dr. C. P. Graves, of Alden, Illinois; Ann,
wife of Dr. S. McNair, Blackberry, Illinois; Harriet, wife
of Hon. S. P. McCalmont, of Franklin, Pennsylvania; Cynthia
died at the age of thirty-three years; Isadore, wife of F. L.
Brown, of South Vernon, Vermont; and Mary, widow of Mr.
Benedict, Sherman, New York.
David C. Osborne entered the ministry at the age
of twenty-two years, and has since been actively engaged in the work of
the Master. Previous to the division of the Erie Conference, he was a
member of that body, and since then has belonged to the East Ohio
Conference, filling many of its best appointments, both as stationed
minister and as Presiding Elder. Among the appointments he has filled we
mention those of Franklin, Titusville, New Castle and Erie in
Pennsylvania, and Akron, Cleveland (Erie Street Church), Steubenville,
Massillon, Canton and Youngstown, in Ohio. In many of these charges
churches were built or improved during his pastorate. He came to Conneaut
in October, 1890, and in his labor here has given a high degree of
satisfaction. The present Methodist Church of Conneaut was begun in 1886
by T. F. Phillips. When it was completed money was subscribed to
provide for the debt. The amount, however, was not paid up, and other
means were used to raise the money. Upward of $9,000 has been paid within
the past two years and a half. The church membership has increased, and
both the church and Sabbath-school are in a nourishing condition.
Dr. Osborne was married in 1856 to Miss Arvilla M. Hill,
daughter of Rev. B. S. and Mary Hill, of Wattsburg,
Pennsylvania. Rev. B. S. Hill, a clergyman in the Methodist
Episcopal Church, was at one time the Tract Secretary of the Erie
Conference and a Presiding Elder of the Jamestown district. He was also a
delegate to the General Conference at its session in Boston,
Massachusetts, when, by reason of ill health, he was compelled to assume a
supernumerary relation to the Conference, his friends were so many that he
was elected to the Legislature from the Erie (Pennsylvania) district. He
was appointed Chaplain of the lower house by his official colleagues, who
recognized his great Christian integrity. He retired, from the active
ministry and was appointed Postmaster by President Grant,
and continued to hold this office by successive appointments, until the
election of President Cleveland, in 1884. He also served as Justice of the
Peace for two or three terms, and was recognized as a man of great ability
and force of character. Five children were born to Dr. and Mrs.
Osborne, and all received excellent educational advantages, by which
they have duly profited. The names of the children are as follows:
Bryan H., David W., Cyrus C, Mary and Donald P. Dr. Osborne is
a member of the Masonic fraternity. In person he is tall, of commanding
presence, dignified yet cordial in manner. After more than forty years in
the pulpit, he is still an earnest student. He is a preacher of more than
ordinary ability, is modest and retiring in deportment, and is
public-spirited and patriotic. He has been successful in all lines of
church work, and has, by his ability as a preacher and his personal worth
as a Christian man, won the admiration and love of those to whom he has
ministered. Mrs. Osborne is a clergyman's wife in every sense of
the word, being loyal to the cause of Christ and in perfect sympathy with
her husband's work.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)
OSBORNE, retired building contractor, is one of the well known
and dependable citizens of Ashtabula County. He was born in
Sweden, May 14, 1867, and is the son of P. O. and Augusta (Osberg)
P. O. Osborn was a blacksmith in early
life. After coming to this country from Sweden ye engaged in
carpentry and cabinet making in Milwaukee, Wis., where he died in 1904.
His wife died in 1909. They were the parents of eight children, as
follows: Charles, deceased; John, lives in
Milwaukee, Wis.; Edward, deceased; Oscar E., the subject
of this sketch; Hilda, the widow of H. Swanson, lives at
Milwaukee, Wis.; Gus, deceased; Fred, lives in Milwaukee;
and Delmer, died in infancy.
Oscar E. Osborne was reared and educated in his
native land and in 1886 came to the United States and located in
Milwaukee, where he worked at his trade as mason. Three yeas later
he came to Ashtabula and engaged in the building business, in which he
met with marked success. For the past ten years Mr. Osborne
has lived retired at 34 Bond Street. Each winter is spent at
Daytona Beach, Florida, where Mr. Osborne owns a $17,000 home.
He constructed many of the well known buildings in Ashtabula, including
the J. T. Smith building, the Ashtabula library, the J. L.
Wilson building, the Ashtabula old Telephone Exchange, the Ducro
building, and the Kunkle building at the Harbor, numerous school
buildings and the receiving vault in Chestnut Grove Cemetery.
On Aug. 18, 1891, Mr. Osborne was married at
Ashtabula Harbor to Miss Gertrude Wright, a native of Plymouth,
Ohio, born Aug. 8, 1869, and the daughter of William O. and Nancy
(Bartram) Wright. Mr. Wright was a native of Lake County, Ohio
in 1839. He was a farmer and later in life conducted a general
store at Carson, Ohio. He died Oct. 4, 1911, and his wife, who was
born in 1844, died Aug. 15, 1915. They were the parents of four
children: George E., born Sept. 8, 1863, died in 1906; Lyman
O., a grocer, at 389 Main Street, Ashtabula; Florence D.,
born Feb. 24, 1887, lives with subject; and Mrs. Osborne. Mr.
and Mrs. Osborne have a son, R. L., who was born April 24,
1893. He was a graduate of the Ashtabula high school. While
a student in Wooster College he enlisted during the World War in Company
C, 34th Ohio Engineers, and served overseas throughout the war. At
the time of his discharge he held the rank of sergeant of the
engineering corps. Mr. Osborne is engaged in the battery
business in Ashtabula. On April 5, 1919, he was married to Miss
Ruth McClelland, of Wooster, Ohio. He and his wife are members
of the First Presbyterian Church.
Oscar Osborne is a Republican and a member of
the Congregational Church. He belongs to the Masonic lodge and the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows. Mrs. Osborne is past
president of the Ohio Rebekah Assembly and for many years has taken an
active interest in its affairs. Mr. and Mrs. Osborne have
an extensive acquaintance in Ashtabula County and are highly esteemed.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
Source 1 - Biographical History of
Northeastern, Ohio Embracing the Counties of Ashtabula, Geauga and Lake.
Containing Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States with a Biography
of each, together with Portraits and Biographies of Joshua R. Giddings, Benjamin
F. Wade and a large number of Early Settlers and Representative Families of
Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company - 1893.
Source 2 - History of Ashtabula County, Ohio by Mrs. Moina W. Large - 1924
NOTE: There will be an asterisk (*) next to the biographies that have a