Ashtabula Co., Ohio
SOURCE: History of Ashtabula County, Ohio
Large, Moina W.
Topeka : Historical Pub. Co.,, 1924, 1132 pgs.
NOTE: Other Biographies will have a note stating their sources.
ALSO NOTE: I will transcribe biographies upon request. Please
state the County and State in the Subject line of the email. ~ SW
|* McCALL, John
* McCLELLAND, R. C.
* McCLELLAND, T. W.
* McCLURE, J. M.
* McCONNELL, H. A.
* McCOY, D. F., Dr.
* McCOY, Oley B.
* McCULLOUGH, Louis
* McKELVEY, Henry C.
* McLAUGHLIN, J. R.
* McMORRIS, J. W.
* McMULLIN, D.
* McNUTT, Lester J.
* MACK, A. A.
* MACK, W. R.
* MADDEN, Thomas G.
* MAENPAA, Jacob
* MALLRY, Frank H.
* MALONEY, W. A.
* MANN, Byron E.
* MANN, Watson E.
* MARBLE, Warren W.
* MARCH, Elmore J.
* MARCH, Ernest F.
* MARCY, Charles E.
* MARCY, Leo L.
* MARCY, Hugh
* MARN, Frank
* MARSHALL, J. W.
* MARTIN, Robert E.
* MARVIN, Don G.
* MARVIN, George L.
* MASON, F. A.
|* MASON, Howard R.
* MASTERS, Walter E.
* MATSON, Frank L.
* MATSON, Grace, Mrs.
* MAUKONEN, Otto
* MAXWELL, J. M.
* MAYBURY, William J.
* MEAD, H. H., Jr.
* MEREDITH, C. E.
* MERILA, Andrew
* MERRITT, Aaron
* METCALF, E. R.
* METCALF, Ezra R.
* MILLARD, Gaylord
* MILLER, Estella Kent
* MILLER, Frank B.
* MILLER, Hardman F.
* MILLER, I. J.
* MILLER, Maynard E.
* MINER, J. H.
* MINER, R. P.
* MONAGHAM, Patrick
* MONTGOMERY, Willard S.
* MOODY, H. G.
* MOORE, S. H.
* MORRIS, William M.
* MORRISON, Henry L.
* MORROW, H. C., Dr.
* MORSE, M. S.
* MOSES, Albert P.
* MUNDY, J. J.
* MURCERIO, Joseph
* MYERS, Don A.
tinner and slater, Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Mercer county,
Pennsylvania, July 9, 1856, son of John and Mary Ann McCall, both natives
John McCall was a contractor and builder.
He passed his life in Middlesex, in his native State, and died there in
October, 1888, at the advanced age of eighty-three years. During the late
war. notwithstanding his age, he volunteered and served two years. At the
battle of Gettsyburg he was shot in the ear, after which he went home on a
surgeon's discharge, and never returned to the army. His wife died in
March, 1887, aged sixty-nine years. Both were life-long members of the
United Presbyterian Church. Their family was composed of two sons and nine
daughters, as follows: Alonzo, who was killed in the battle of
Gettsyburg, July 3, 1863, aged twenty years; Melissa, wife of
John Gundy; Elizabeth, wife of D. W. McCready;
Sarah Jane, wife of John Lytle; Matilda
and Marilda, twins, the former the wife of F. Means, and the
latter of F. J. Glasgow; Mary and Emma, twins,
the former the wife of C. Mayrs, and the latter of Matthew
Boggs; W. H., whose name heads this sketch; and Eva and Ida,
twins, the former now Mrs. W. W. McCance and the latter Mrs.
Cal. Hayes. Emma was twice married, her first husband being John A.
W. H. McCall learned the tinner's trade in New
Castle, Pennsylvania, of his brother-in-law, John A. Wilson, and
has been engaged in this business ever since. For the past four years he
has been engaged in business for himself in Conneaut. He is a finished
workman, understanding his business in its every department, and has met
with good success here.
Mr. McCall was married March 8,1883, to Miss
Kittie I. Loomis, daughter of F. A. Loomis. They have three
children, Frederick John, Irene Luella and
Wade William. The oldest is deceased.
Both he and his wife are members of the Congregational
church. He is also a member of the Mystic Circle in Salem, Ohio, Jr. O. U.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)
LOUIS McCULLOUGH, who
is successfully engaged in the green house business at Jefferson, ranks
among the enterprising and progressive young business men of Ashtabula
County. He was born at Jamestown, Pa., in 1891, and is the son of
William and Grusella (Sheppard) McCullough.
William McCullough removed from Jamestown, Pa.,
to Ashtabula County in 1903 and located at Eagleville, where he worked
at his trade as a basket maker. He and his wife now live at
Warren, Ohio. They are the parents of six children, as follows:
James, lives at Rock Creek, Ohio; Ella, married H. D.
West, lives at Warren, Ohio; Frank, lives at Ashtabula, Ohio;
Emma, married John Berlin, lives at Cleveland; Louis,
the subject of this sketch; and Ada, married Robert Brown
lives at Garrettsville, Ohio. Isaac McCullough, grandfather
of our subject, was a Civil War veteran.
Louis McCullough received his education in the
public schools of Pennsylvania and in 1903 removed to Eagleville, Ohio,
with his parents. He learned his father's trade, basket weaving,
and was employed by the H. W. Forbes Company for five years,
after which he entered the employ of the Griswold Green House Company of
Ashtabula, where he remained for eight years. During the World
War, Mr. McCullough had charge of assembling work in the
Ashtabula shipyards. After the close of the war he became
associated with John Reublin Company of Ashtabula, and on Jan. 1,
1923, opened his present place of business at Jefferson. He raises
many kinds of hot house vegetables and is widely known throughout the
In politics, Mr. McCullough is identified with
the Republican party. He holds membership in the Baptist church and
belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows.
On Oct. 19, 1910, Mr. McCullough was united in
marriage with Miss Alice Fortney, a native of McClure,
Ohio, born Dec. 18, 1891, and the daughter of E. D. Fortney,
residents of McClure and the parents of the following children:
Chauncey, lives at Bowling Green, Ohio; Adelia, deceased;
Clay, lives at Bowling Green, Ohio; Mrs. McCullough;
Chester, a veteran of the World War, lives at Toledo, Ohio;
Mildred, married and lives in McClure, Ohio; Nina and
Arthur, both at home. To Mr. and Mrs. McCullough three
children have been born: Donald, born in 1911; Robert
born in 1915; and Virgil, born in 1918.
Mr. McCullough and his family are favorably
known throughout Jefferson and Ashtabula County.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
HENRY C. McKELVEY,
engineer on the Nickel Plate Railroad, Conneaut, Ohio, was born in
Westmoreland county, Pennsylvania, fourteen miles from Johnstown,
September 17, 1858, son of Ephraim W. and Sarah C. (Croft) McKelvey.
Ephraim W. McKelvey was born in Ireland,
being of Scotch-Irish descent. He was a general contractor; took the
contract for and built a part of the Pennsylvania Railroad. A man of
marked business ability, he succeeded in whatever he undertook. For many
years he was engaged in the general merchandise business and at the same
time was in the employ of the Adams Express Company. His death was the
result of an accident. While riding on the express wagon a box fell off,
causing him to fall at the same time. He sustained injuries to his head,
from the effects of which he died about three hours afterward. This was
August 9, 1865, he being fifty-two years of age. He was a Presbyterian, of
which church his widow is also a member. She is now sixty-three years of
age and resides at Pittsburg. Her parents were John and Barbara (Herr)
Croft. John Croft was an English soldier
in the war of 1812, and after the war returned to England and remained
there several years. Coming back to America, he settled near Herr's
Island. He was a merchant, and while transporting goods with teams was
hurt by an accident from which he died some time later. Herr's Island,
between Allegheny and Pittsburgh, in the Allegheny river, is a part of the
Herr estate, which amounted (before the division previous to the war) to
2,000 acres. This island has lost one-third its area by the action of the
water. Here the Herr family were engaged in raising fruit and
vegetables. John Croft and his wife had four sons and two
daughters, only two of whom, Mrs. McKelvey and her brother David,
both of Pittsburgh, are now living. Mrs. Croft died in 1874,
aged seventy-eight years. Ephraim W. McKelvey and his wife had six
children, namely: William, who married Kate Gettemy, is a
resident of Wilkinsburg, and has been running a locomotive on the
Pennsylvania Railroad for nearly thirty-live years; Lewis died July
30, 1871, aged twenty years; Martha, wife of James B.
Anderson, of Wilkinsburg, has three children,—Florence, Lewis
and Mary; Henry C., the subject of this sketch; Francis M.,
who married Ida McCormic, is an attorney of Pittsburg;
Edward Wallace, Pittsburg, married Hattie Lindsey, and
has three children, Mark, Blair and Marguerita.
Henry C. McKelvey started out to carve his
fortune at the age of fourteen years, and for one year was employed in the
sheet iron department of the boiler works. Then for over a year he was
messenger boy for the Western Union Telegraph Company. After
that he served a two-years apprenticeship to the trade of making ladies'
straw and felt hats. The close confinement incidental to that business did
not agree with his health, so in 1876 he entered upon a railroad career,
beginning as fireman on the Pennsylvania Railroad. He served as fireman
from September, 1876, until March, 1878, on the Pennsylvania Road; was
fireman on the Pan Handle from December, 1878, until May, 1880, when he
was promoted to a position as engineer; engineer on the Baltimore & Ohio
four months; engineer on the Pittsburg & Lake Erie one year; engineer on
the Pittsburg & Western and the Pittsburg, C. & T. Railroad from 1883
1886. From March, 1886, until January, 1887, he was employed as
assistant engineer in the Cartwright, McCurdy & Co.
rolling mills, Youngstown, Ohio. Since February 9, 1887, he has been
engineer on the Nickel Plate. He has never had an accident that cost the
company anything as the result of his fault, nor an accident in which any
person lost limb or life. His changes were all for increase of wages or
improvement of condition.
Mr. McKelvey was married August 25,
1888, to. Miss Ida Dill, daughter of Charles L. and Mary J.
(Blake) Dill, of Youngstown, Ohio. Her mother is now a resident of
Conneaut. Mr. and Mrs. McKelvey have three
children: Francis Marion, Raymond Dill and Olive
He is a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive
Engineers, and in politics is a Republican. Like many of the Brotherhood,
he has a comfortable and happy home.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)
MANN, a farmer of Cherry
Valley township, was born in New Lyme, Ashtabula County, Aug. 28,
1837, a son of John Man, who was born in Vermont, in December, 1785.
He was married, in New York, to Anna Bromley, and was born in that
State in 1796. In 1818 they moved to New Lyme, this county, and
1820 located in Cherry Valley township, where the mother died at the
age of eighty-six years, and the father at the age of ninety years.
The latter was a farmer by occupation, voted with the Republican
party, and was a member of the Baptist Church. Mr. and Mrs. Mann had
nine children: Sophia, Nancy, John, Melissa,
Alta, Lucinda, Maryetta, Byron E., and Irving. Four of the children are now
Byron E. Mann now owns 292 acres of fine farming land
in Cherry Valley township, where he has three large barns and a good
dairy, keeping twenty cows. He was married, in Crawford county,
Pennsylvania, at the age of twenty-eight years, to Charlotte M. Grokenbarger, a daughter of
John and Jane (Williams) Grokenbarger. The father was a native of Germany, but came to America at the age of
seven years. His death occurred at the age of forty-one years.
His death occurred at the age of forty-one years, leaving a widow and
four children: John, who died in McPherson county, Kansas; Edd O., of
Unionville, Ohio; Charlotte M., wife of our subject; and Harriet.
The mother, a native of New York, now resides in Wayne township,
Ashtabula county. Mr. and Mrs. Mann have had five children,
viz.: Myrtle Jane, wife of L. M. Loveland, of Wayne township,
Truman E., engaged in farming with his father; Anna L.; Jessie A.; and
John Lee, deceased at the age of six years. Mrs. Mann is a
member of the Baptist Church. In political matters, our subject
affiliates with the Republican party.
a progressive and enterprising business man of Conneaut, was born in
Austria Hungary, Aug. 29, 1893, and is the son of Valentine and
Mary (Gronek) Marn.
Valentine Marn was a native of Austria Hungary, as was also his
wife. He is deceased and she is now 79 years of age. They were the
parents of the following children: Valentine, lives in
Conneaut; Joseph, deceased; Alex, deceased; Mary,
the widow of John Jubanc, lives at Nottingham, Ohio;
James, was killed in Austria during the World War; Jennie,
married John Kozl, lives in Austria; John, lives
at Conneaut; Helen, Catherine and Alice, all deceased;
and Frank, the subject of this sketch.
Frank Marn came to the United
States on July 16, 1913, and was employed in the coal mines of
Pennsylvania for several years. He then came to Conneaut, where he was
employed by the Nickel Plate Railroad for five years. In 1922
Mr. Marn began the manufacture of cement blocks and he is
among the well known mason contractors of the county.
Mr. Marn was married on July
14, 1920, to Miss Jennie Sliver, and to this
union one daughter was born, Jennie, born March 12, 1922.
Mr. Marn is a member of the Catholic
Church. He lives on Millard Avenue.
D. B. McMULLIN, train
dispatcher on the Nickel Plate Railroad, also Secretary of the Conneaut
Building and Loan Company, Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Mount Pleasant,
Iowa, January 23, 1855. His parents were D. B. and Sarah Ann
(McClelland) McMullin, natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio respectively.
The senior Mr. McMullin was a cabinet maker by trade, which
business he followed in Newark, Ohio, for some years. He went to Iowa in
1854, and after remaining there about a year came back to Ohio and settled
at Middletown, where for some time he was engaged as cabinet maker and
undertaker, and subsequently at farming. He went from Middletown to Newark
in 1866, and there spent the rest of his life, dying in 1874, at the age
of fifty-six years. He was a man of good business qualifications and was
honorable and upright in all his dealings with his fellowmen, and, while
not a member, attended the Presbyterian Church and was a liberal supporter
of the same. His widow is still living at Newark, now seventy-four years
The subject of this sketch is the fifth born in their
family of five sons and one daughter. James, the second, was a
soldier in the late war. He died in January, 1890, at the age of
D. B. McMullin started out in life for himself
at the age of sixteen years, securing a position in the telegraph office
at Newark, Ohio. He went from there to Birmingham, Alabama, where he was
engaged in the same business one year, returning to Newark at the end of
that time. For about twelve years he was in the service of the Pan Handle,
being stationed as train dispatcher at Columbus from 1874 to 1880, and at
Dennison from 1880 to 1886. In October, 1886, he came to Conneaut, where
he has since been employed as train dispatcher for the. Nickel Plate. This
position is one of great responsibility and requires the closest
attention, and that he is eminently fitted for it is amply demonstrated by
the high degree of satisfaction attending his efforts during the years he
has been here.
The Conneaut Building and Loan Company, with which
Mr. McMullin is connected, has been in existence five years. It
is an enterprise of considerable importance and is extensively patronized.
It has a capital stock of $500,000. Following are the officers of the
company: President, E. A. Miller, master mechanic of the Nickel
Plate at Conneaut; Vice-President, E. M. Comstock; Treasurer,
Charles Hayward; and Secretary, D. B. McMullin.
Its office is located on Main street.
Mr. McMullin was married in 1880, to
Miss Elizabeth Donaldson, daughter of A. L.
Donaldson, of Columbus, Ohio. They have one child, Roy A., born
in Dennison, Ohio, January 19, 1883. Both he and his wife are members of
the Congregational Church.
In political matters Mr. McMullin takes a
commendable interest, affiliating with the Republican party. Fraternally,
he is associated with the I. O. O. F., the Royal Arcanum, the American
Train Dispatchers' Association, and the League of American Wheelmen. He is
Regent in the Royal Arcanum, and Local Counsel in the League of American
(For Source, see Note 1 below)
has been connected with the New York Central Railroad for 20 years and
is a substantial citizen of Ashtabula county. He was born in Finland,
November 11, 1881, and is a son of Eli and Anna
Eli Merila spent his entire life on a
farm in Finland and died June 26, 1924. His widow lives on the home
place there. They had three children. Andrew, the subject of
this sketch; John, lives in Finland, and Anna, married
Alfred Newguard, lives in Michigan.
After coming to the United States in 1905, Andrew
Merila located in Ashtabula county and entered the employ of
the New York Central Railroad in the car repair department. He is now
foreman of that shop. In 1924, Mr. Merila removed to
Jefferson township, where he owns a large and well improved farm. He
specializes in dairy farming and is a breeder of Holstein cattle.
On April 11, 1906, Mr. Merila was married
to Miss Mary Tarppa, also a native of Finland,
born February 15, 1886, and a daughter of John and Catherine Tarppa,
both of whom are deceased. They were the parents of six
children, as follows: Mrs. Merila; John, lives in
Finland; Helen, deceased; William, lives in Ashtabula;
Elma and Arthur, live in Finland. To Andrew and Mary
(Tarppa) Merila seven children have been born: Aili,
born October 23, 1907; Sula, born November 28, 1908; Arvl,
born January 10, 1910; Anna, born September 18, 1911; Arnold,
born March 27, 1913; Leo, born June 25, 1917, and Gertrude,
born October 26, 1922.
Mr. Merila and his family are
members of the Lutheran church and he belongs to the Modern Woodmen of
America. He is a progressive type of man, a good farmer and a
E. R. METCALF, whose name heads this sketch, was born in Ashtabula
county, Ohio, March 17, 1818, and was reared on his father's large
farm, attending the schools in his vicinity. At the age of sixteen
years he secured employment as a cabin boy on a boat plying the lakes,
in which capacity he worked three months, when he was advanced to a
position before the mast. He worked in different positions after that,
serving for five years on a sail boat and four years on a steamer,
severing his connection with, the lake trade while holding the
position as second mate of a steamboat. On relinquishing that
position, he invested his small earnings in a farm, his first purchase
being a tract of twenty-three acres. By industry, careful economy and
excellent management, he gradually increased his means, adding to his
land from time to time until he now owns 400 acres, all well
cultivated and improved. The place is contiguous to the city, and is
one of the good farms of the county. He also owns a home in Ashtabula,
in which he has passed the last few years of his life, enjoying, in
ease and comfort, the accumulations of former years of toil and
economy, blest in the affection of a worthy family and the universal
esteem of his fellow men.
When twenty-five years of age, Mr. Metcalf was married in Ashtabula,
by Elder Low to Miss Virginia Sweet, a lady of social culture and
domestic accomplishments, daughter of Peleg and Hannah (Stevens)
Sweet. She was one of eleven children: Sidney, who married
Adaline Easton; Virginia W., born January 25, 1822;
Albert, who married Candis Sweet; Harmon married
Rebecca Woodbury; Pembroke married Betsy
Castle, nee Cheney; Rushbroke married Lucana Sweet; Jesse M.;
married William D. La Zade; Emelia married Truman Shaw;
young; and Wilson married Alice Forbes. Mr. and Mrs. E. R. Metcalf
have four children: Marion, who married James Forsyth;
Friend married Lewella Hayward; Chauncey J. married
Abbie Foot; Dennis D. married
Martha Askew. In politics Mr. Metcalf is a Republican, having cast his
first vote for William H. Harrison and his last for his grandson,
Mr. Metcalf is essentially domestic in his tastes, finding his
greatest happiness in his home surroundings. Like his honored father
before him, he is deeply imbued with the love for his native city and
country, whose progress seems a part of himself.
EZRA R. METCALF. Few men in Ashtabula county,
Ohio, have contributed as much to her material and moral advancement
as the subject of this sketch, who has greatly aided, by his energy
and ability, in pushing her car of progress along the road leading to
the point of high eminence now attained.
He inherits his sturdy qualities from hardy New England ancestors, who
have been in this county since early Colonial times. His grandfather,
Ezra Metcalf, was born in New Hampshire about the middle
of the eighteenth century, and spent his life in the Granite State.
John Metcalf, his son, father of the subject of this
sketch, was born in that commonwealth in the latter part of the same
century, and was reared and educated there. When he had attained the
age of manhood, he went to Canandaigua, New York, where he secured the
contract for carrying mail from that point to Niagara, the same State,
his route being afterward extended as the road was opened up to
Buffalo, to which latter city he was the first man to carry a mail
bag. From that city he pushed his way westward on foot, with a mail
bag on his back, blazing a path through the untraveled wilderness, his
course afterward becoming a beaten track, over which many hundreds
passed to the promised land of the West. Later on, he settled in
Ashtabula, Ohio, where he established a small mercantile, business in
East Village, resigning to the Government his commission as
mail-carrier. The desire for his old occupation, however, grew upon
him, until he shortly afterward secured another mail contract from the
Government, this time for the route west of Ashtabula to Cleveland,
his familiar face being again seen in Uncle Sam's service as far
toward the setting sun as Fort Meigs, Defiance and other distant
points. He visited Washington on horseback as many as fourteen times
to renew his contract with the Government, when, becoming by this time
aged, and being a cripple from youth, he surrendered his commission,
after a service in the mail department of the Government for more than
thirty years. His remaining years were spent in retirement, and he
died in Ashtabula, August 20, 1853, aged seventy years. He thus passed
from the midst of his family and many admiring friends, to whom his
many sterling qualities of mind and heart had greatly endeared him.
His wife, mother of the subject of this sketch, was a daughter of
Peleg Sweet, Sr., a prominent character of Ashtabula county, of
which he was a pioneer. He was a native of Connecticut and a shoemaker
by trade, an occupation he followed in earlier life, but which he
abandoned after coming to this county. He traded his old home in New
England for 800 acres in Ashtabula county, to which he removed, and on
which he made his home until death, cultivating and improving his land
until it became a valuable piece of property. He donated several
pieces of land to Ashtabula,—a cemetery plat, a tract for a park in
East Village and an eighty-foot street,—which are lasting monuments to
his liberality, as well as his devotion to the interests of his
adopted city. He is deserving of the regard of all patriots, having
sealed his devotion to his country by an efficient service in the war
of 1812. His wife, Mary Wilkinson, was the daughter of
an Englishman, and was one of thirteen children, of whom eleven
attained maturity, those besides herself being: Clarissa,
Lauren, Isaac, Lewis, Asa and Aria (twins),
Fretus, Peleg, Susan and Orphia, the
others dying in infancy. John Metcalf and wife had six
children: Birdsey S., who was married three times, first to
Samantha Cheney, next to Eliza Hall, and
lastly to Emily Hall; he died in 1890; E. R., the
subject of this sketch; John Q.; Clarissa, who married
Robert Johnson; Lauren D.; Mary M.,
who married Dennis Dean, who died in New York city while
on a visit; her remains were brought to Ashtabula for interment.
WILLARD S. MONTGOMERY,
a well known and substantial citizen of Ashtabula County, who lies in
Conneaut Township, is a native of Ashtabula County. He was born on
a farm in Wayne Township, Jan. 28, 1857, and is the son of Allen and
Mahala (Morrison) Fobes.
Allen Fobes was a native of Wayne Township,
Ashtabula County, and engaged in general farming and stock raising
during his entire life. Mr. and Mrs. Fobes, now deceased,
had three children: Flora, married Bela Barber, both
deceased; Ella, married Leroy Witter, both deceased; and
Willard S., the subject of this sketch.
Willard S. Montgomery was educated in the
schools of Geneva and when a young man learned the printer's trade,
which he has since followed. He has been employed on various
newspapers in Cleveland and Geneva, and since 1907 has been connected
with the Conneaut News-Herald, a daily newspaper. Mr.
Montgomery was married to Miss Evellyn Patterson, a native of
New York City, born Jan. 8, 1858, and to this union two children were
born: Willard Hugh, lives at Portland, Ore.; and George
lives at Anderson, Ind. Mrs. Montgomery died Sept. 20,
1887, and is buried in Geneva. William Hugh Montgomery has
six children: Allen Kent, Irene, Margaret, Willard, George and
On Feb. 14, 1889, Mr. Montgomery was married
the second time to Miss Eleanor Rathbun, a native of
Conneaut, born Oct. 22, 1861, and to this union four children were born
as follows: Carl, and employe of the Bessemer & Lake Erie
Railroad, lives at Conneaut; Ernest, a fireman on the
New York Central Railroad, lives at Erie, Pa.; Olive, lives at
home; has seven children: Elmer, Viola, Robert, Evelyn,
Hazel, Majorie and Esther Montgomery. Ernest
Montgomery has six children: Gleason, Helen, Ruth, Jane,
Ernest, jr., and Lucille Montgomery. Mary Puffer has
one son, Willard Lewis Puffer. Mrs. Montgomery died
Oct. 14, 1924, and is buried in City Cemetery
Mr. Montgomery is a Republican and a member of
the South Ridge Baptist Church. He is an energetic man who stands
well in the esteem of his neighbors and fellow citizens.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
MORRIS, foreman of machine shops, ¦i Hi
Conneaut, Ohio, is a man of high moral standing and in every way a most
worthy citizen. He is a true Welshman, remodeled on the American plan.
William M. Morris was born in Wales, June 24,1850, son of John and Jane
(Davis) Morris, both natives of Wales. In his native land John Morris
served an apprenticeship of seven years at the trade of machinist, and
worked at his trade there and in Ireland. He was also an engineer in
Ireland for some time, having charge of engines in the mines. He came to
America in 1853, and after making his home in New York city two years,
came west to Columbus, Ohio, where he found employment in the shops of the
Little Miami Railway, and subsequently, for four or five years, ran an
engine in the Columbus yard. In 1861 he went to Cincinnati, in the employ
of the same company, which had moved its shops to that city. In 1872 he
went to Dennison to work for the Pan Handle, and remained in their shops
two years, going from there to Delaware, where he was in the employ of the
Big Four six years. The last work he ever did was at Columbus, for the
Pennsylvania Railroad company. He died at Columbus, Ohio, at the age of
sixty-one years, and his wife passed away at the age of sixty-seven. They
were highly respected people, and were attendants of the Welsh
Presbyterian Church. In their family of ten children William M. was the
sixth born. He has two brothers and one sister still living:. All three of
the brothers are machinists, having learned the trade of their father.
John, the oldest of those living, is in the employ of the Pan Handle at
Columbus; married Anna Rutherford, and has two children. David D., of
Conneaut, works in the same shop as does our subject; he married Anna
Owens and has one child. Their sister Margaret resides at the old
homestead at Columbus. Sarah Jane, a bright and accomplished young lady,
and a popular teacher in the schools of Columbus, died at the age of
twenty-one years. The other children died young.
Under the direction of his father, William M. Morris learned his trade in
the Little Miami shops at Cincinnati, commencing in August, 1867. He
worked there until 1873, after which he spent four years and a half in the
Big Four shops at Delaware, Ohio. Next, we find him at Columbus, working
for the John L. Gills Plow Works and other individual concerns. He spent
six months in the wood work machinery shop of J. A. Fay & Co., of
Cincinnati. Returning to Columbus, he was employed in the Pan Handle
round shops, under the present master mechanic of the Nickel Plate shops,
E. A. Miller. He came to Conneaut in the fall of 1882 and has been working
in the shops here ever since, and in his present position for the past
Mr. Morris was married September 28, 1882, to
Miss Clara Hurrell, daughter
of James and Ellen (Kain) Hurrell. Her father, who served as a private in
the late war, is now a resident of Columbus, being about fifty years of
age. Her mother died when about thirty-five. Mrs. Morris is the second of
their children, the others being Frances A., and William.
Frances A., wife
of George Wolpert, died at the age of about twenty-two years, leaving an
only child, George. William, a coal dealer in Columbus, Ohio, married
Tenie Longhenry and has two children, Clara and Mary. The maternal
grandmother of Mrs. Morris, Jane Kain, is a resident of Dresden, Ohio,
being now eighty-seven years of age. For many years she has been a member
of the Baptist Church. She has had eleven children, only one of whom,
Dwight, with whom she is living, still survives. Mr. and Mrs. Morris have
four children, viz.: Harry, William M., James Hiram and
Mr. Morris is a charter member of Maple Lodge, No. 217, Knights of
Pythias. He votes the Republican ticket, but gives little attention to
political matters. Mrs. Morris is a member of the Christian Church.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)
J. J. MUNDY, editor of the
Ashtabula Star-Beacon, is one of the widely known newspapers in the
country. He was born in Philadelphia, Pa., Nov. 23, 1872, and
attended school in that city. He also attended the West Farmington,
Ohio, Western Reserve Seminary and Normal School and Valparaiso, Ind.,
Mr. Munday started as printer's devil in
Coudersport, Pa., and afterward became "local editor." Later he
became half owner and editor of a paper at that place. He was
connected with printing plants and newspapers of Chicago for four years,
and followed newspaper business in Philadelphia for some time. In
1910 he came to Ashtabula. With M. T. Stokes he started and
had charge of Evening Independent. After two years he became
editor of the Beacon-Record and two years later he became editor of the
Ashtabula Star, which absorbed the Beacon-Record and the papers were
combined and are now known as the Star-Beacon.
For three years Mr. Munday wrote "Cherry Valley
Notes" for the Hearst Sunday papers.
For nine years he has been writing Once-Overs for the
International Feature Service of New York, which is controlled by W.
Mr. Mundy is a Mason, a member of the Rotary Club,
belongs to the Episcopal Church and is a Republican. HE is married
and has one daughter, aged 16 years.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
JOSEPH MURCERIO, who owns
and operates the Ashtabula Market House, in a progressive young business
man of that section. He is a native of Italy, born April 13, 1891,
and the son of Joseph and Theresa Murcerio. In 1901
Joseph Murcerio, Sr., came to this country and located in
Pittsburgh, Pa., where he engaged in business. He is now deceased.
Joseph Murcerio came to the United States with
his father in 1901, and remained in Pittsburgh until 1914, at which time
he removed to Ashtabula. Four years later he engaged in business
at 28 Spring Street, where he remained until February, 1922.
Mr. Murcerio's present place of business at 185 Main Street, which
is known as the Ashtabula Market House, is the only market of its kind
in the city. He deals in groceries, meats, vegetables and fresh
On Feb. 4, 1912, Mr. Murcerio was married to
Miss Sadie Chieramont, a daughter of Joseph and Josephine
Chieramont. Mr. and Mrs. Murcerio have two children:
Theresa, born Dec. 23, 1919; and Josephine, born Jan. 11,
Mr. Murcerio and his family are members of the
(See Note 2 below for Source)
Source 1 - Biographical History of
Northeastern, Ohio Embracing the Counties of Ashtabula, Geauga and Lake.
Containing Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States with a Biography
of each, together with Portraits and Biographies of Joshua R. Giddings, Benjamin
F. Wade and a large number of Early Settlers and Representative Families of
Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company - 1893.
Source 2 - History of Ashtabula County, Ohio by Mrs. Moina W. Large - 1924
NOTE: There will be an asterisk (*) next to the biographies that have a