Ashtabula Co., Ohio
SOURCE: History of Ashtabula County, Ohio
Large, Moina W.
Topeka :: Historical Pub. Co.,, 1924, 1132 pgs.
NOTE: Other Biographies will have a note stating their sources.
ALSO NOTE: I will transcribe biographies upon request. Please
state the County and State in the Subject line of the email. ~ SW
|* HAEFNER, C. A., Dr.
* HAGUE, J. F.
* HALE, John P.
* HALEY, E. W.
* HALL, E. B.
* HALL, George
* HALL, Sereno E.
* HALL, W. J.
* HALLEEN, Charles A.
* HAMILTON, George W.
* HAMILTON, James
* HANLON, William E.
* HANNAH, G. L.
* HARDY, John C.
* HARLEY, G. R.
* HARMON, Austin A.
* HARMON, Reuben
* HARPER, Fred W.
* HARRIS, Samuel T.
* HASKELL, John Winship
* HAWKINS, C. E.
* HAWKINS, Hiram P.
* HAWES, Clyde L.
* HAY, Alexander
* HAYES, M.
* HAYWARD, Danville W.
* HEADLEY, George W.
* HEAGERTY, T. E., Capt.
|* HEASMAN, Fred H.
* HEATH, A. J.
* HELANDER, Erik E.
* HELBERG, Jacob
* HENRY, George
* HERREN, Henry
* HEWITT, George C.
* HICKS, Clarence B.
* HIESTON, E. A.
* HILL, J. B.
* HILLS, Edgar L.
* HILLYER, Arthur V.
* HOLDEN, Frances E.
* HOLKKO, John
* HORTON Fred L.
* HORTON, W. P.
* HOSKINS, A. O.
* HOUSE, Emory C.
* HOWARD, Chauncey E.
* HOWARD, William H.
* HOWES, Walter W.
* HUHTA, Simon
* HUKARI, Charles
* HUMPHREY, R. C.
* HUNTER, Thomas W.
* HURST, J. L., Dr.
* HUCHINSN, William R.
* HYDE, Perry G.
HARMON, who lies on the North Ridge Road at North Kingsville, ahs
been prominently identified with the agricultural interests of Ashtabula
county for many years. He was born on a farm at North Kingsville,
Oct. 4, 1858, and is the son of Hollis K. and Zeviah M. (Ransom)
Hollis K. Harmon was a leading pioneer of Ashtabula
County. He was born at North Kingsville, Apr. 12, 1830 and died
Dec. 29, 1899. Mr. Harmon owned 110 acres of land and
engaged in farming during his entire life. His wife, who was born
in Maine, Oct. 1, 1828, came to this county with her parents when
she was three years of age, is deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Harmon,
who were Married at Kingsville, in November, 1854, were the parents of
the following children: Reuben, the subject of this sketch;
Arthur C., lives on the home place, married Edith Potter,
of Ashtabula, and they have one son, Glenn and Hattie M.,
married William H. Weaver, lives at Monroe, Ohio, and they had
five children, Bertha, deceased, was the wife of Garfield
Bisbee, Fred, Mabel, wife of Charles Kidder, Alice,
deceased, married Eugene Kidder, and Walter.
Reuben Harmon has always lived in Kingsville.
He was among the most extensive stockmen of the county and owned 375
acres of land. Mr. Harmon is now living on his farm of 19
acres, which is located on North Ridge road, four and one-half acres are
planted in fruit, and Mr. Harmon's residence, which was
built in 1914, is among the fine homes of Ashtabula County.
In 1880 Mr. Harmon was married the first time to
Miss Charlotte Hammond, who died Sept. 12, 1889, leaving three
children as follows: Catlin S., born in 1885, lives with
his father, married Miss Hazel Dean, of Monroe, Ohio; Ethel,
married Harvey Walker, lives in Cleveland; and Charlotte,
married F. J.
Nearpass, a sketch of whom appears in this volume. In
1892, Mr. Harmon was married to Miss Harriet M. Stanton,
of Sheffield, Ohio, and to this union three children were born, as
follows: John Hollis, lives in Seattle, Wash., married
Ruth Dickinson, of Ashtabula; Edwin L., a student in the
Medical School of Western Reserve University, Cleveland; and Ruth,
who died at the age of eight years. Mrs. Harmon died Oct.
15, 1922, and is buried at North Kingsville. John Hollis Harmon
is a veteran of the World War.
Mr. Harmon is an independent voter. He is
a reliable citizen, and was able to build up a successful farming
business by hsi integrity and progressive methods.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
WINSHIP HASKELL, deceased. K I —One of the representative men and
pioneers to whom Ashtabula owes much of her growth and present
development, is the late John W. Haskell, the subject of this
memoir. He was a descendant of old Puritan stock, and was born in
Tunbridge, Vermont, August 16, 1810, being the son of Aretas
Haskell and Betsey Moody. Upon the death of his
wife Betsey, the father married Annie Folsom, who was of
that family from whom Mrs. Frances Folsom
Cleveland descended. The elder Haskell (Aretas) was born
in Vermont, in 1783, of Welsh ancestry. He spent his entire life in that
State, dying in 1858, at the age of seventy-five years. John
Winship was reared at home, securing his education at the common
schools. His youth was spent in various kinds of work until he arrived at
the age of twenty-four years. At this period, 1834, he started out in life
for himself, seeking the West as the most advantageous country in which to
better his condition. He first located at Conneaut, where for a time he
was engaged in school teaching and in peddling goods, in the northern part
of the State. Later on he settled at South Ridge, where he engaged in
mercantile pursuits for several years. In 1846 he removed to
Conneautville, Pennsylvania, where he continued his mercantile business
and also engaged in the manufacture and sale of lumber. He and his
partner, Edwin R. Williams, erected the first steam sawmill
in that section of the country, the same being located at Steamburgh,
Crawford county, Pennsylvania. The enterprise created quite a sensation
and people came from Pittsburg, Philadelphia, Cincinnati and many other
points to see it. It was predicted by the people in that vicinity that
this mill would cut up all the timber in that part of the country in a few
years. It is worthy of note that this mill is still in operation, and that
there yet appears to be plenty of timber for it to work upon. This mill
marked the introduction of steam power for running mills in this section
of the country.
In 1857, Mr. Haskell again moved to Ohio,
settling this time in Ashtabula, where he followed the same business,
making lumbering and the shipping trade on the lakes special features,
together with railroad building. The advantages of lake transportation
were the principal cause of his removal. He, with his partners, Oran
Baldwin and Edwin R. Williams, under the firm name of
O. Baldwin & Co., secured the contract for the construction of the
Ashtabula & New Lisbon Railroad from Ashtabula harbor, on lake Erie, to
the Ohio river. The work on the road was suspended on account of hard
times brought about by short crops. The firm took mortgages on the road
bed and other property, which subsequently they disposed of. The road was
finally completed and is now known as the Pittsburg, Youngstown &
In 1836 Mr. Haskell was united in
marriage, at South Ridge, to Mary Ann, daughter of Jacob
and Lydia (Wright) Williams, a native of Ashtabula county, Ohio.
Four children were born to them: David Williams Marshall Harrison,
William Cassius and Ida, now Mrs. Frank
Sherman. They also adopted Fannie Harriet as their
Mr. Haskell departed this life at Ashtabula, Ohio,
November 12, 1885, having lived to the same age as did his father.
Mr. Haskell was originally a Free Soiler, but upon the
formation of the Republican party he became an advocate of its principles,
never, however, seeking public office. During his earlier years he was a
member of the Baptist Church, but later on in life he joined the
Presbyterian Church, of which he was for many years an Elder.
Mr. Haskell was eminently a self-made
man, the architect of his own fortune. By his energy, perseverance and
good financial judgment, by his strict integrity and honorable business
methods, he accumulated a fortune and established an enviable reputation.
He was a man of noble character, public, spirited, liberal and charitable,
giving generously to the poor and to the church. To his family he was much
devoted, looking carefully after their wants, and making the domestic
hearth his place of rest. He died as he had lived, a Christian, holding
the confidence and esteem of all who knew him.
David Williams Haskell, the
oldest son of John Winship Haskell, was born at South
Ridge, Ashtabula county, Ohio, April 14, 1838. He was educated at the
common schools, and in 1857 accompanied his father to Ashtabula, which has
since been his home. For a time he was associated with his father in
business, but subsequently started in business for himself, conducting a
dry goods store for about ten years in a very successful manner. He is now
conducting a lumber business and has also extensive interests in real
estate, operating chiefly in his own realty.
Mr. Haskell was married at Ashtabula,
December 24, 1861, to Harriet E., the accomplished daughter of
Honorable Henry Fassett, whose portrait and biography will be found in
another part of this volume. This estimable lady met an untimely death,
departing this life in October, 1862, to the great sorrow of her devoted
and loving husband and her numerous friends. She was a woman of fine
culture and rare musical talent, of a sweet, winning disposition, and much
beloved by her many admirers.
June 12, 1867, Mr. Haskell was married
the second time, to Julia Ann, the amiable and talented daughter of
Joseph D. and Lucinda C. (Hall) Hulbert, whose portraits and
biographies appear in this work. This union has been blessed with eight
children: Harriet Fassett, born May 16, 1868; Mary Lucinda,
born August 22, 1870; Josephine Dewey, born April 10, 1872 ;
Phyana Hulbert, born April 29,1874; Julia Dewey,
born January 2, 1876; Alma Chadwick, born November 16, 1878;
Andrew Stone, born September 4, 1880; and Ethel
Williams, born .November 22, 1882,—all living bat Josephine,
who died October 10, 1872, and Julia, who died April 28, 1881.
Mr. and Mrs. Haskell are members of the
Congregational Church, the former holding the positions of Trustee and
Treasurer. He is a member of the Masonic Order, and has taken the Royal
Mr. Haskell is a gentleman of good presence,
genial, social disposition and winning manners. He is liberal in his
views, progressive and interested in the development of his native
county; he is a worthy representative of his noble father and is held in
high esteem by the community in which he was born and reared, and by all
who have the pleasure of his acquaintance.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)
HAY, the popular landlord of the Nickel Plate Eating House,
Conneaut, Ohio, is a native of Coshocton county, Ohio, born in 1846. I His
parents were Alexander and Mary I. Hay, the former a native of
Maryland and the latter of Pennsylvania. The senior Mr. Hay
was a man of excellent business qualifications, all his active life being
spent as proprietor of a hotel at Coshocton. He died in 1846. His wife
survived him until August, 1892, when she passed away at the age of
seventy-four years. She was one of the pioneers of Coshocton county,
having gone there with her parents when she was a little girl. From her
girlhood she was a member of the Presbyterian Church, and her whole life
was characterized by the sweetest of Christian graces. She had thirteen
children, the subject of our sketch being one of the six who are still
When the Civil war broke out Mr. Hay was
only in his teens, and, young as he was, he enlisted, in August, 1861, in
Company E, Fifteenth United States regulars. After the I battle of Shiloh,
in which he participated, lie was detailed in recruiting service, and was
at Newport, Kentucky, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, and Newport, Rhode
Island. From Newport he went South, reaching Lookout Mountain two days
after the battle; thence to Mobile, and from there to Selma, Alabama. He
was discharged at Selma in 1867, after a service of five years and four
months. He served as drummer four years. He stood the service well, and
has never made any application for a pension.
The war over, Mr. Hay turned his
attention to work at his trade, that of machinist, and for eleven years
worked for the Pan Handle Railroad Company at Dennison, Ohio. He learned
this trade after the war. In 1878 he went from Dennison to Coshocton,
where he worked at his trade until 1887. Since that year he has been a
resident of Conneaut. After being in the employ of the Nickel Plate as
machinist here one year he turned his attention to the hotel business,
having been proprietor of the Nickel Plate Hotel ever since.
Mr. Hay was married February 8, 1872, to Miss
Lucy F. Furgeson, daughter of Edwin Furgeson, of
Uhrichsville, Ohio. She is a lady of many estimable qualities and is a
member of the Congregational Church. They have three children, all in
school: Eddie, Mary E. and Frank F.
Mr. Hay is an ardent Republican, and is
prominent in fraternal circles, being a member of the Knights of Pythias,
Uniform Rank, the G. A. R, A. O. U. W. and Home Circle.
Of Mrs. Hay's father we record that he
was born in Culpeper, Virginia, and was for many years engaged in work at
his trade, that of tailor, at Cadiz and Uhrichsville. He served all
through the Mexican war, participating in its leading battles, and in the
war was a lieutenant in the Second Ohio Battery, serving three years. He
died at the home of his only child, Mrs. Hay, his wife
having passed away two years before at Uhrichsville. Mr.
Furgeson was a stauch Republican and a prominent Mason, having taken
the Knights Templar degree.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)
C. E. HAWKINS, a well
known jeweler and watchmaker of Ashtabula County, who lives at
Kingsville, is a native of Ohio. He was born at Kelloggsville,
Oct. 15, 1867, and is a son of C. S. and Laura (Colburn) Hawkins.
C. S. Hawkins was a native of Kingsville, born in
1847. His parents came to this county from Connecticut in the
early days. C. S. Hawkins was a cooper by trade and for
many years owned a general merchandise store at Kelloggsville. He
served during the Civil War and died in 1920. His wife lives at
Kingsville and is 78 years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Hawkins had
four children as follows: May, married W. E. Peck,
and they have two children, Roland and Marion; C. E., the
subject of this sketch; and Leva R. born in 1871, married M.
Griggs, and they have two children, Homer and Howard.
C. E. Hawkins received his education in the public
schools of Kelloggsville, where he spent his boyhood. He learned
his trade as a watchmaker at LaPorte, Inc., and engaged in the jewelry
business in 1883 at Kingsville.
In 1911 Mr. Hawkins was married to Miss
Calista R. Richmond, of Kingsville, and the daughter of G. D. and
Florence Richmond. Mr. Richmond was a prominent business man
of Kingsville for many years and died in 1920. His wife lives at
Jamestown, N. Y. To Mr. and Mrs. Hawkins has been born one
child, Laura Florence, born in 1920.
Mr. Hawkins is a Republican and served as
township clerk for 16 years..
(See Note 2 below for Source)
ERIK E. HELANDER
is a veteran of the World War and an enterprising and well known
druggist of Ashtabula. He was born in that city, May 5, 1893, and
is the son of `Oscar M. and Ellida Helander.
Oscar M. Helander was a native of Finland, born in
1862. In 1890 he came to this country and located at Ashtabula
Harbor, where he was employed on the docks. He later sent for his
wife in Finland. Mr. Helander was killed in an accident
while at work in 1907. His wife lives with her son, Erik E.,
the subject of this sketch. Mr. and Mrs. HElander had six
children, four of whom died in infancy. The remaining two are
John N., married Justine Tanttari, lives at Conneaut; and
Erik E., our subject.
Erik E. Helander attended the public schools of
Ashtabula Harbor and was graduated from Ohio University in 1915.
In 1920 he purchased the drug business of C. F. Schaffner at the
Harbor, and since that time had been in partnership with Tom Knox.
In May, 1923, they opened their second place of business at 41 Lake
Street, and they now own and operate two stores in Ashtabula.
During the World War, Mr. Helander volunteered
for service and was sent to Stamford, Conn., where he remained seven
months, in the Chemical Warfare Service. He was discharged in Jan.
1919, and immediately returned to Ashtabula.
Mr. Helander is a Republican, a member of the
Bethany Lutheran Church of Ashtabula Harbor, and belongs to the Masonic
lodge. He is a capable young business man, whose success in life
is practically assured.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
GEORGE HENRY, a prominent and
well-known engineer on the New York, Chicago & St. Louis Railroad, Conneaut, Ohio, was born in the city of New York, May 19, 1855, son of
and Agnes (Crozier) Henry.
Peter Henry was born in Roxburyshire, Scotland, September 12,1826, and
December 28, 1850, married Agnes Crozier, of the parish of Sprouston,
Scotland, the date of her birth being March 16, 1828. March 3,1851, they
sailed from Glasgow; were shipwrecked in the English Channel, and after
some delay, but without any serious loss, the voyage was continued, and
April 16, 1851, they landed at New York city, their destination. Mr.
had learned the trade of stone-cutter in the old country, and after his
arrival in New York continued work at that trade. He bought a farm in Erie
county, New York, and, while he worked at his trade, superintended its
cultivation. The mother and a sister still reside on the old home place in
Erie county. Mr. Henry served as Assessor for twelve successive years, and
was also for some time Supervisor of his county. He was perhaps as well
known as any man in that part of the State. He was one of the finest
mathematicians in western New York. His educational advantages were poor,
but he was one of the most indefatigable students. He was well read in
general literature, was a fine reasoner and an impressive
conversationalist. He died of cancer of the stomach, October 18, 1890.
Both he and his wife were reared in the Presbyterian Church. Following
are the names of their nine children: James, who married Miss Harriet E.
Holt, died March 24, 1885, aged thirty-two years; George; William, who
died at the age of six years; Frank, who died at the age of five;
wife of Levi McCullor, resides at Evans, Erie county, New York;
resident of Angola, Erie county, New York, married Nellie Clark;
wife of F. L. Culbertson, Conneaut, Ohio, has one child, Mildred;
wife of J. J. Brown, lives at West Spring Creek, Pennsylvania; and
who resides with her mother.
George Henry received his education in the Angola Academy, of which
institution he is a graduate. He worked on the farm and also learned the
trade of stone-cutter. On account of ill health he quit work at his trade,
and in 1878 secured a position on the Lake Shore & Michigan Southern
Railroad as fireman, continuing as such four years.
He began work on the Nickel Plate June 15, 1882, and has been on that road
ever since, serving as engineer. He has never been in a wreck of any kind,
but has made some very narrow escapes.
He was married January 1, 1878, to Miss Ada Elsie Parker, daughter of John
K. and Mary (Smith) Parker, of Evans, Erie county, New York, of which
State she is a native. Her father, born March 19, 1824, is still living.
Her mother is deceased. The seven children composing the Parker family are
as follows: Anson S., Brant, Erie county, New York; Elizabeth, wife of
George Fuller, Collinwood, Ohio; John H., Grand Rapids, Michigan;
Charlotte Jane, wife of A. S. Farrand, Cleveland;
Samuel A., North
Collins, New York; Sarah Ann, wife of E. S. Webster,
Brant, Erie county,
New York; and Mrs. Henry. Mr. and Mrs.
Henry have had two children, Mary Agnes and Lulu
Belle. The latter died in infancy.
Mr. Henry is a full-fledged Mason, being a member of the blue lodge,
chapter, council and Cache Commandery, all of Conneaut. He is also a
member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, in which he is First
Engineer; and of the Protected Home Circle. In politics he is an ardent
(For Source, see Note 1 Below)
E. A. HIESTON is a World War
veteran and a well known and substantial citizen of Lenox Township.
He was born in VanWert, Ohio, Aug. 17, 1888, and is a son of William
E. and Rachel (Bell) Hieston.
William E. Hieston and his wife, who are residents
of Van Wert, are the parents of the following children: E. A.,
the subject of this sketch; Albert L.; Ida, married Orley
Paliney, lives at Hillsdale, Mich.; Ada, married William
Keist lives at Scott, Ohio; and May, married Harry 'V.
Hunter, lives at Jackson, Mich.
E. A. Hieston received his education in the
schools of VanWert and came to Ashtabula County in 1914. He
conducts a metal shop at Ray's Corners, in Lenox Township, and is a
roofing contractor. He also does other repair work and is widely
known throughout the community. During the World War Mr.
Hieston enlisted and was stationed at Camp Taylor and later at Camp
On Dec. 16, 1921, Mr. Hieston was united in
marriage with Miss Arminta Hayford, a native of Lenox Township,
born May 20, 1902, and a daughter of C. R. and Sarah (Wallace)
Hayford, early settlers of Ashtabula County. Mrs. Hieston
has a sister, Ethel, who married Carl Mead, and resides at
Cherry Valley, Ohio.
Mr. Hieston is a Republican, a member of the
Baptist Church, and belongs to the Independent Order or Odd Fellows and
the Red Man.
L, HILLS.—Ohio is peculiarly fortunate in her public officers, who
are universally men of worth and ability. Conspicuous among these is the
gentleman whose name initiates this sketch.
Edgar L. Hills, the efficient and popular
Recorder of Ashtabula county, worthy citizen and successful business man,
was born in Albion, Erie county, Pennsylvania, September 4, 1852, and is a
son of Humphrey A. Hills, a widely known and highly respected
resident of that State. Humphrey Hills was born in Goshen,
Connecticut, August 10, 1811, and was married at Cranesville,
Pennsylvania, September 11. 1834, to Antha, daughter of Georde
and Eunice (Green) Reed, by whom he had nine
children: Charles W., Marcus A., Alice P., Henry H., Mary A., W. Scott,
Lucy E., Humphrey A. and Edgar L. Of these all are
living except Alice. His second marriage occurred at Albion,
Pennsylvania, December 11, 1853, when he wedded Louise
Adelia, daughter of Hiram and Susan (Powers)
Williams, by whom he had four children: Willis P., James L.,
Victor F. and Jessie May. Four of the sons responded to
their country's call and took arms in the great civil conflict. The four
were Charles, Marcus, Henry and Scott.
Charles was Captain of the Seventh Iowa Infantry, and afterward in
command of Company B, One Hundred and Fortieth Illinois Infantry;
Marcus was First Lieutenant of the Third Iowa Infantry; Henry
served in the First Colorado Regiment; Scott served in the Navy, on
the United States man-of-war "New Ironsides." In early
years Mr. Hills secured various official preferments in Erie
county, Pennsylvania, having served as Constable, Justice of the Peace,
School Director, and in 1847 County Commissioner. In 1850 he was Surveyor
in charge of the work of establishing the county line between Erie and
Crawford counties. Later on he was the incumbent as United States Marshal
for his district, and in 1852 and 1853 was a member of the House of
Representatives in the State Legislature. He died March 14,1887, at
Edgar L. Hills, concerning whose life this
sketch has mainly to do, was reared in his native county, receiving a
common-school education. He then took a position in a dry goods
establishment at Springfield, Pennsylvania, and after a time took a course
in the Spencerian Business College at Cleveland, Ohio. Upon the completion
of his studies in this institution he entered a dry-goods establishment at
Cleveland, as salesman, retaining the position for about three years. He
then returned to the Keystone State, where he clerked for four years
longer. He was then married, and shortly afterward removed to Conneaut,
Ohio, where he entered the mercantile Held upon his own responsibility,
continuing in business until his election, in 1886, to his present office
as Recorder of Ashtabula county. In December, 1886, lie removed to
Jefferson, the county seat, where he has since resided. He has twice been
elected as his own successor,— at the expiration of his term, in 1889, and
again in 1892, his election for the third term being the first instance of
the kind in many years, and serving to show the high regard in which he is
held, both as an officer and a man.
Mr. Hills was united in marriage June 28, 1877,
to Miss S. Louise Doty, an estimable lady of Springfield,
Pennsylvania, who was born in Eagleville, Ashtabula county, Ohio, June 28,
1855, and they have two daughters, Maude L., who was born at
Conneaut, Ohio, February 19, 1879, and Margaret, who was born at
Jefferson, Ohio, December 24,1887.
Politically, Mr. Hills sympathizes with the
Republican party, and socially, is a member of Columbian Lodge, No. 491,
Knights of Pythias, at Jefferson, and the Royal Arcanum, at Conneaut,
while, as a citizen and business man, he enjoys preeminence in his
(For Source, see Note 1 below)
ARTHUR V. HILLYER,
manager and director of the North Eastern Finance Company, is a leading
and influential citizen of Ashtabula and Ashtabula County. He was
born at Eaton, Wis., Sept. 9, 1869, and is the son of Riley and Angle
C. (Case) Hillyer.
Riley Hillyer was born in Trumbull County, Ohio,
June 9, 1845. He came to Ashtabula in 1870 and was a prominent
citizen of his time. Mr. Hillyer served with the Trumbull
Guards during the Civil War. He died Feb. 3, 1909. His wife,
Angle C. Case, was born in Mecca, in Ashtabula County,
June 7, 1847, the daughter of Asa and Nancy (Smith) Case.
The latter born in Connecticut, Dec. 16, 1821, the daughter of Dr.
and Mrs. John Smith, of old New England stock. At the age of
11 years, Nancy (Smith) Case went to New York with her parents
and located at Genoa, three years later removing to Ohio. On April
8, 1846, she was married to Asa L. Case, and to this union three
children were born, as follows: Angle C., the mother of the
subject of this sketch; Myrtie E., died in 1882; and Edith,
died Dec. 28, 1907.
To Riley and Angle C. (Case) Hillyer two
children were born: Arthur V., the subject of this sketch;
and Mabel C., born Jan. 12, 1885, unmarried and she is supervisor
of drawing at Salem High School, Salem, Mass. Mrs. Hillyer
lives in Salem, Mass.
Arthur V. Hillyer was educated in the public
schools of Ashtabula and began life as a clerk in a local store.
He later entered the employ of the New York Central Railroad and was an
engineer with that road for 22 years. After being injured in an
accident on March 23, 1907, Mr. Hillyer resigned his position
with the railroad and became clerk to the county commissioner, which
office he held for six years. He was elected county treasurer of
Ashtabula County in 1914 and was in office four years. In 1919
Mr. Hilyer helped organize the North Eastern Finance Company, of
which he is manager and director. The business is located on
Spring Street and is among the dependable financial institutions of the
Mr. Hillyer was married to Miss Charlotte E.
Bacchus, a native of New York. To this union four children
have been born, as follows: Gertrude, born Oct. 12, 1890,
married on Sept. 14, 1914, to Carl Crozier; William R., born July
4, 1893, married on March 10, 1916, to Mildred Fortune; Lowes,
born May 21, 1901, married on June 22, 1921, to James Peck; and
Feedus, born June 10, 1903, lives at home.
Mr. Hillyer and his family hold membership in
the Prospect Street Presbyterian Church and he belongs to the
Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Brotherhood of Locomotive
Engineers. Mr. Hillyer and his family are substantial
citizens of their community and have many friends and acquaintances.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
MISS FRANCES E. HOLDEN
is a member of one of the prominent pioneer families of Ashtabula
County. She was born at North Kingsville, July 12, 1862, and is
the daughter of Ira and Sarah J. (Phelps) Holden.
Ira Holden was a native of North Kingsville and a
leading citizen of that section during his life. He was a building
contractor and died in July, 1913. Mr. Holden was a well
known musician and was a member of the choir of the Methodist Episcopal
Church in Ashtabula, where his father had served as choir leader.
In 1861 Mr. Holden was married to Sara J. Phelps, also a
native of North Kingsville, born April 30, 1839. She was the
daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Francis B. Phelps. Her father was
the son of D. C. Phelps who settled at North Kingsville in 1811.
After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Holden lived on the old
Phelps farm where they spent the remainder of their lives.
Mrs. Holden died in May, 1922, and is buried in East Lake Cemetery.
To Mr. and Mrs. Holden one child was born, Frances E., the
subject of this sketch.
Miss Frances E. Holden has spent her entire life
at the ancestral home. After attending the schools there she spent
her entire life at the ancestral home. After attending the schools
there she was graduated with her mother in the Chatauqua Reading
Course in 1889, and afterward graduated in physical culture and
graduated at the Scorer School of Elocution and Oratory in Cleveland and
was a student of music.
Miss Holden is a member of the Presbyterian
Church of North Kingsville and has served as Sunday School
superintendent for a number of years. She has always taken an
active interest in club work and both she and her mother were members of
the Orion Chapter No. 12, Order of Eastern Star, Kingsville.
Miss Holden is esteemed throughout the community as a woman of high
(See Note 2 below for Source)
HORTON, an aged and highly respected citizen of Conneaut, Ohio, is
a dealer in groceries, provisions, furnishing goods, notions, etc., corner
of State street and Bartlett avenue.
W. P. Horton was born in Alexander, Genesee
county, New York, October 15, 1814, son of Solomon and Philena (Peters)
Horton, the father a native of Hartford, Connecticut, and the mother of
Vermont. His parents were married in Vermont and their oldest son was born
in that state. In 1813 they moved to the Holland Purchase, and in the
woods of Genesee county, by dint of hard work and good management, the
father developed a nice farm. In 1831 he moved to Alden, Erie county, New
York, where he improved another farm. The same year he settled in Alden he
and his wife and four of their children united with the Freewill Baptist
Church. His wife died at the age of fifty-five years, five months and five
days. She was a most devout, earnest Christian woman, whom to know was to
love. Her great concern in life was to see all her children converted and
have a working place in the church. This precious boon was granted her,
she being permitted to live until they were all zealous Christian workers.
After the death of his first wife Mr. Solomon Hor-ton married a widow who
had grown children living in Wisconsiu. They moved to that State, and
there he died at the age of about seventy-seven years. For many years he
was a Deacon in the church. His nine children were as follows: Rev. H. W.,
who was a minister in the Baptist Church for over forty years, and who
was, like his father, a great Abolitionist, passed to his reward some
years ao-o; William P., whose name heads this article; Sallie, who married
a Mr. Dow, died in Illinois; Cynthia, who is married and living in
Lansing, Michigan; Orsemus, who has been a Deacon in the Baptist Church at
Grand Rapids, Michigan, for more than forty years; Orville, a farmer of
Union, Pennsylvania; Amanda, wife of Josiah Kilburn, died near Grand
Rapids, Michigan; Almira, widow of Dr. Ingals, resides in Illinois; and
Alonzo, a resident of Michigan. In this large family all reached mature
years, and the oldest was over sixty before there was a death in the
W. P. Horton was reared on his father's farm and assisted in developing
it. He also cleared a farm of his own, and after his marriage settled
thereon. He was married in Darien, Genesee county, New York, October 2,
1836, to Dennis Almira Carter, who was born in New York, August 21, 1810,
daughter of Seth and Almira Carter. Her parents were born and married in
Connecticut, and were pioneers of the Holland purchase. Of the Carter
family we make record as follows: Mrs. Horton was the fourth born in a
family of two sons and four daughters. Two of the latter, Mary Ann and
Caroline, are married and living in Kentucky, and the youugest daughter,
also married, has her home some place in the west. Samuel lives in the
northern part of Michigan. William died at Union, Erie county,
Pennsylvania, in 1890. The father's death occurred in 1851, at the home of
Mr. Horton, in Conneaut, Mrs. Carter having passed away some years before
in Erie county, Pennsylvania; both are buried in the East Conneaut
Cemetery. Mr. and Mrs. Horton had three children, Caroline S., Miles L.
and Burrel W., only one of whom, Miles L., is living. Caroline S. became
the wife of B. F. Thompson, by whom she had two children, Lida and Alice.
Her death occurred December 1, 1881. Mr. Thompson is a farmer and resides
in East Conneaut. Mr. Horton's first wife died April 6, 1859. December 31,
1859, he married a widow, Mrs. Mary C. (Knox) Folsom. Mr. Folsom, her
deceased husband, had two children by a former marriage, one of whom is
the wife of Miles L. Horton, above referred to. Of Mrs. Mary C. Horton's
family be it recorded that her parents, Hugh and Martha Knox, had eight
children, viz.: Anna, wife of Pyatt Williamson, is deceased, as also is
her husband; John, who married Catherine Bow, died February 18, 1861, at
the age of fifty-five years; James, who died April 24, 1842, at the age of
thirty-three years; William, who died June 8,1873, aged sixty-one years;
Mary C, born October 10, 1815; Thomas S., residing near Warren, Ohio; Jane
G. Scott, also living near Warren, Ohio; and Robert, who died March 14,
1842, aged twenty-two years: Mary C. Horton died May 30, 1893, leaving the
subject of our notice a widower again in his old age.
Mr. W. P. Horton removed from New York to Union county, Pennsylvania,
April 12, 1843, and there developed another farm, on which he remained
until he came to East Conneaut, May 5, 1855. About this time he began
selling medicines, traveling in the interest of Dr. John S. Carter, of
Erie, making his home in East Conneaut, his son having charge of the
farm. Following his experience on the road, he was sick seven years, with
white swelling, and not able to get out or in. He is still afflicted,
although he is able to get around, chiefly, however, in his chair. In
December, 1883, Mr. Horton moved to West Conneaut and opened a store at
his present location, where be has continued to do a successful business.
Mr. Horton, at the age of eleven years, was baptized, and, with his father
and mother, united with the first Free-will Baptist Church ever organized
on the Holland Purchase, so called, the church being located at Bethany,
For over sixty-seven years Mr. Horton has bean a member of the Free-will
Baptist Church, and for more than thirty years of that time has acted as
chorister in the church. He also served as Church Trustee. Mrs. Horton is
a Methodist. Mr. Horton and his son, Miles L., both affiliate with the
(For Source, see Note 1 below)
HOSKINS, dealer in general merchandise at Conneaut, was born in
Ashtabula county, Ohio, in May, 1850. His parents, W. L. and N. A.
(Trimmer) Hoskins, were natives of Vermont and New York respectively.
W. L. Hoskins was a tanner by trade and carried on the tanning
business at Pierpont for many years. He came to this county with his
parents at an early day when the place where Conneaut now stands was
covered with dense forest. He held township offices from the time he was a
voter until he died. He was Town Clerk for perhaps more than twenty years,
and for a number of years was Postmaster, his wife taking the office at
the time of his death and serving the rest of the term. In church work he
was also prominent, being a member of the Baptist Church and an officer in
the same for many years. Politically, he was a Republican. To know
him was to respect and esteem him. Indeed, few men in the county had more
friends than he, and his untimely death in 1872, at the age of forty-nine
years, was a shock and a bereavement to all. He was found dead in one of
the vats in his tannery. The cause and particulars of his death were never
known. He had been complaining of dizziness during the morning and it is
supposed he in some way lost his balance or tripped. His widow, born
January 29, 1829, is still living, well preserved in body and mind. She,
too, has been a member of the Baptist Church for many years. This worthy
couple had a family of six children, A. O. being the oldest.
Frank L., a merchant of Edinborough, Pennsylvania, married Miss Louise
Thompson, of that city. Marion Adel, wife of A. S. Venen, and a
resident of Oregon, has five children; Linn died at the age of live years;
R. T., a partner in the store of A. O. Hoskins & Co.,
married Lizzie Griffin and has one child, Benjamin
Harrison; Nina J., the youngest, has been an efficient clerk in
the store for some time.
A. O. Hoskins has been in the mercantile
business for a number of years. At the age of fifteen he went behind the
counter as clerk for T. S. Winship, of Pierpont, and remained in
his service for five years. Then he clerked for S. J. Smith, of
Conneaut, five years, at the end of which time he became a partner in the
business, under the firm name of Smith & Hoskins, at Pierpont. Two
years later Mr. Smith sold out to Mr. Hoskins, who continued
the business under his own name seven years. Then, .disposing of the store
at Pierpont, he established himself in business at Conneaut under the firm
name of A. O. Hoskins & Co., Mr. Smith representing the
silent interest for one year. Then Mr. Hoskins bought out Mr.
Smith's interest and took in his (Hoskins) brother as partner.
The firm carry a full stock of dry goods, groceries, boots and shoes,
crockery, etc., and are doing a successful business. Mr. Hoskins
has served as Councilman of the city two terms.
He was married May 31, 1872, to Miss Emma Bartlett,
daughter of N. W. Bartlett. She died in July, 1885, at the
age of thirty-one years, leaving an only child, Lois Pearl. Mrs.
Hoskins was a devoted member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr.
Hoskins affiliates with the Masonic fraternity, and in politics is a
(For Source, see Note 1 below)
Source 1 - Biographical History of Northeastern, Ohio Embracing the Counties of
Ashtabula, Geauga and Lake.
Containing Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States with a Biography
of each, together with Portraits and Biographies of Joshua R. Giddings, Benjamin
F. Wade and a large number of Early Settlers and Representative Families of
Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company - 1893.
Source 2 - History of Ashtabula County, Ohio by Mrs. Moina W. Large - 1924
NOTE: There will be an asterisk (*) next to the biographies that have a