Ashtabula Co., Ohio
SOURCE: History of Ashtabula County, Ohio
Large, Moina W.
Topeka :: Historical Pub. Co.,, 1924, 1132 pgs.
NOTE: Other Biographies will have a note stating their sources.
ALSO NOTE: I will transcribe biographies upon request. Please
state the County and State in the Subject line of the email. ~ SW
|* FALKENBURG, Earl
* FANCHER, Bert H.
* FARNHAM, Charles E.
* FARR, William
* FAULKNER, Albert T.
* FAULKNER, H. R.
* FAUST, B. B.
* FAYLOR, J. W. & Son
* FELCH, Irad P.
* FERGUSON, Chauncey
* FINDLEY, T. A.
* FINLAW, James
* FISK, E. A.
* FITCH, Chauncey
* FITTS, H. H.
* FLACK, J. B.
|* FOBES, H. W.
* FOBES, R. B.
* FOLLETT, Frank W.
* FOOTE, Howard S.
* FORD, S. B.
* FORMAN, LaRUE D.
* FORTUNE, William
* FOWLER, R. E.
* FRAYER, Edward D.
* FREDERICKS, Jerome
* FREIGH, Oscar N.
* FRENCH, D. W.
* FRISBIE, Henry
* FRY, George T.
* FULLER, F. H.
* FULMER, L. B.
J. W. FAYLOR
& Son, who own and operate the Victor Milling Company at Jefferson,
are prominent and successful business men of Ashtabula County.
J. W. Faylor is a native of St. Marys, Ohio.
In 1920 he removed to Ashtabula County and settled on a farm of 160
acres in Lennox Township which he operated for two years.
In 1922 Mary Faylor purchased the Victory Milling Company.
The mill has been in operation for 40 years and is widely known.
To J. W. and May (Watson) Faylor the following
children have been born: Gertrude, married Homer Daniels,
lives in Jasper County, Ind.; Raymond, born Feb. 3, 1897,
engaged in business with his father at Jefferson; Bessie, the
wife of Walter Norris, Austin Township; Marion also in
business with his father, mention of whom is made below; and
Gladys, a student at Kent Normal School.
Marion Faylor received his education in the
public and high schools of Indiana. He ranks among the
enterprising young men of the community and has many friends.
Mr. Faylor was born June 3, 1904.
J. W. Faylor and his family hold membership in
the Methodist Church and he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd
Source #2 -
History of Ashtabula County, Ohio
by Moina W. Large - Vol. I - 1924
FELCH, well known retired banker and business man of Bushnell,
Monroe Township, is a member of a family that has lived in Ashtabula
County since the early days. He was born at that place, Aug. 8,
1860, and is a son of Dudley S. and Angeline (Ring) Felch.
Dudley S. Felch was a native of Rockingham County,
N. H., and came to Ashtabula County when he was 14 years old. He
settled on a farm in Monroe Township and became a prosperous stockman.
He died Nov. 10, 1912, and his wife died May 21, 1899. Irad P.
the subject of this sketch, was their only child.
Irad P. Felch was reared on his father's farm
and attended the Kingsville schools. At the age of 24 years he was
in business for himself at Bushnell, where he operated a general
merchandise store for 35 years. For several years Mr. Felch
had as his business partner Joseph R. Ingalls. Mr. Felch
was one of the organizers of Bushnell bank and served as its
president for many years. He was postmaster for 19 years.
On Aug. 8, 1888, Mr. Felch was united in
marriage with Miss Laura Ingalls, a native of Cortland, N. Y.,
Jan. 17, 1825, and was the son of Benjamin and Esther (Gillett)
Ingalls. Mr. Henry Ingalls came to Ashtabula County in 1899
and lived retired with his daughter, Mrs. Felch. He was a
farmer in early life in New Jersey. He died Apr. 6, 1906, and his
wife, also a native of New York, lives with her daughter, Mrs. Felch,
and is 90 years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Ingalls had five
children, as follows: Kate S., the widow of L. G. Felch
lives at Monroe Center, Ohio; Wendell R., deceased; Mrs.
Felch; Fitch H. lives retired in Virginia; and Frank W. died
in infancy. To Benjamin and Esther (Gillett) Ingalls,
paternal grand-parents of Mrs. Felch, the following children were
born: Gillett; Laura, married Joseph Howland;
Hiram, Rosanna, married Joshua Bliss; Henry, (Mrs. Felch's
father); and Matilda, married Dr. H. O. Jewett. The
above mentioned are all deceased.
Mrs. Henry Ingalls is the daughter of Andrew
B. and Anna (Hoyt) Randall, the former a native of Massachusetts and
the latter of New York. Mr. Randall was an early settler of
Monroe Township and a leading citizen of Ashtabula County. He died
Feb. 28, 1879, and his wife died in 1841. They had two children:
Mrs. Henry Ingalls; and Susan, the widow of Gillett
Ingalls, lives in Monroe Township. Mrs. Ingalls takes
an active interest in the affairs of her community. She is a
Republican and has voted during two presidential elections. Since
the Civil War days she has knitted wristlets for soldiers in time of
war, and at present she is knitting wristlets for the Civil War Veterans
in the Ohio Soldiers' and Sailors Home of Sandusky, Ohio.
Mr. Felch is a Republican and has served as
township clerk since 1886. He belongs to the Independent Order of
Odd Fellows and the Monroe Grange No. 1555.
SOURCE: History of Ashtabula County, Ohio - Large, Moina W.
Topeka :: Historical Pub. Co.,, 1924 - Page 717
FERGUSON is a substantial and well known citizen of Ashtabula
County. He is engaged as chief clerk by the Bessemer and Lake
Erie Railroad at Conneaut Harbor. Mr. Ferguson was born in
Conneaut Township, Erie County, Pa., June 21, 1880, and is the son
of John P., and Marie Antoinette (Spaulding) Ferguson.
John P. Ferguson, deceased, was a veteran of the
Civil War and a prominent farmer of Erie County, Pa. He was
born at West Springfield, Pa. Mr. Ferguson enlisted in
the army during the Civil War. He was with Company K, 145th
Regiment of Pennsylvania Volunteers and served three years and three
months. He was actively engaged in many battles and skirmishes
of the war and received the rank of captain. Mr. Ferguson
died Aug. 18, 1906, and his wife lives at Albion, Pa. They
were the parents of eight children, as follows: George S.,
deceased, was chief marine engineer on the Great Lakes, and lost his
life at White Fish Bay in Lake Superior when his ship, the Superior
City was lost on Aug. 20, 1920; John William, lives at
Albion, Pa.; Priscilla, married David S. Hoyt, lives
at Albion, Pa.; Chauncey, the subject of this sketch;
Daisy M., deceased; Antoinette, married James Gehr,
lives at Albion, Pa.; Inez, married Edward H. Leopold,
lives at Albion, Pa.; and Marion, lives at Akron, Ohio, is a
World War veteran, having served overseas.
Chauncey Ferguson was reared and educated at
Albion, Pa., and after completing his high school course attended
normal school course attended normal school, after which he taught
for eight years. Mr. Ferguson was assistant principal
of the Albion High School and principal of the Platea High School
for four years. On April 24, 1907, he entered the employ of
the Bessemer & Lake Erie Railroad as a clerk and after a number of
promotions was made chief clerk in 1920, in which capacity he is now
On July 3, 1905, Mr. Ferguson was married to
Miss Lou Sara Dibble, a native of Girard, Pa., born Dec. 3,
1888, and the daughter of W. W. and Abbie (Martin) Dibble,
natives of Erie County, Pa., both now deceased. Mr. Dibble
died Nov. 7, 1923, and his wife died Feb. 4th of the same year.
He was a Civil War veteran. Mr. and Mrs. Dibble were
the parents of the following children: Martin, lives at
Girard, Pa.; Flora, died in infancy; Charlotte,
married Fred Tarlton, lives in Cleveland; Jennie,
married Harry Siers, deceased, and she lives at Conneaut;
Mary, married M. L. Miller, lives in Conneaut; Charles,
lives in Erie, Pa.; Carrie, deceased; Mrs. Ferguson;
and Adelaide, married Joseph Townsend, Jr., lives at
Conneaut. To Mr. and Mrs. Ferguson two children were
born, Dorothy, born June 8, 1909; and Margaret, born
April 1, 1915.
Mr. Ferguson is identified with the
Democratic party in politics and belongs to the Masonic Lodge.
He is a member of the Universalist Church and his wife is a
Presbyterian, and they are favorably known in their community.
SOURCE: History of Ashtabula County, Ohio - Large, Moina W.
Topeka :: Historical Pub. Co., 1924
H. W. FOBES,
retired, has for many years been a leading farmer and stockman
of Ashtabula County and is a member of one of the substantial and
prominent pioneer families of this section. He was born in
Mercer County, Pa., Sept. 3, 1847, and is a son of E. L. and
Hannah (Still) Forbes.
E. L. Fobes was the son of Elias Fobes, who
came to Ohio from Connecticut with his parents and other brothers at
the age of 12 years. They were the first family in Wayne
Township, having settled there in 1803. Elias Fobes was
the son of Simon Fobes. E. L. Fobes remained in
Ohio for a number of years, married, and later lives in Mercer
County, Pa., where he died at the age of 72 years. His wife
was a native of Michigan, and died at Andover, Ohio, when she was 89
years old. They were the parents of the following children:
Nelson; Frances, deceased; H. W., the subject of this
sketch; Albert, deceased; Mary E. Pringle, living at
Lansing, Mich.; and Emma Lutton, living near Sandy Lake, Pa.
H. W. Fobes spent his boyhood on his father's
farm and was educated in the district schools, Jamestown and New
Lebanon Seminary. He taught school for four years in the
states of Pennsylvania, Nebraska, Iowa, and Michigan, his first and
last terms being in his native state of Pennsylvania. In 1899
he established a basket making business at Eagleville, Ohio, which
he conducted for 22 years. He owned a factory at Rock Creek,
which was burned in 1910, and rebuilt. This factory was
acquired by Mr. Fobes' son, Harry, and operated
by him from 1920 until the fire of 1924, when it was totally
destroyed. Mr. Fobes owns a well improved farm of 390
acres in Morgan Township and for many years has been known as a
large taxpayer in this township.
In 1878 Mr. Fobes was married to Miss Jennie
DuBois, deceased. One son was born to that union Harry C.
Fobes, Garrettsville, Ohio. On Nov. 19, 1906, Mr. Fobes
was united in marriage with Miss Ellen Lewis, a native of
Wales, and a daughter of John and Elizabeth (Reece) Lewis.
Mrs. Fobes came to this country at the age of 18 years and lived
in Cleveland for some time. To Mr. and Mrs. Fobes six
children have been born as follows: Eugene W., Marie E.,
Henry W., Lewis l. Geraldine and Francis Sidney, all at
In politics Mr. Fobes was identified with the
Democratic party in early life, but is now more of an independent.
His wife holds membership in the Methodist Episcopal Church of Rock
Creek and they are representative citizens of their community.
SOURCE: History of Ashtabula County, Ohio - Large, Moina W.
Topeka :: Historical Pub. Co., 1924 - Page 1022
|R. E. FOWLER,
proprietor of the Elmwood Fruit Farm, ranks among the leading fruit
farmers of Ashtabula County. He was born on North Ridge Road, one
mile west of North Kingsville, March 2, 11879, and is a son of Henry
W. and Ella Frances (Harmon) Fowler.
Henry W. Fowler, who lives retired, was born in
Conneaut Township, Ashtabula County, is engaged in dairy farming and for
many years has met with success. Mr. and Mrs. Fowler have
four children as follows: R. E., the subject of this
sketch; Mrs. Martell, North Kingsville Village; William,
deceased; and one child died in infancy.
R. E. Fowler received his education in the
Kingsville schools and also attended Spencerian Business College in
Cleveland. He engaged in dairy farming with his father until 1913,
at which time he became interested in the fruit business. Mr.
Fowler now owns three fruit farms, which total 92 acres.
In 1899 Mr. Fowler was married to Miss Pearl
Jacobs, a native of Gambier, Ohio, and a daughter of Alonzo and
Catherine Jacobs. Mr. Jacobs died in 1909. He was a
veteran of the Civil War and a leading merchant of merchant of Gambier
for 40 years. His son, L. H. Jacobs, now owns and operates
the shoe business there which was established by his father.
Mr. and Mrs. Jacobs had three children: H. C. lives in
Chicago; Mrs. Fowler; and L. H., who married Frances
Young of Mt. Vernon, Ohio. Mr. and Mrs. Fowler have two
sons: Harold, born Nov. 18, 1900, lives at home, and the
Theodore Alonzo, born May 16, 1903, was married May 29, 1922, to
Virginia Sturgeon and two children have been born to them,
Theodore Allen and Donna May. Theodore Alonzo is
engaged in farming with his father.
Mr. Fowler is a Republican and belongs to the
Masonic Lodge. He is recognized as one of the representative and
substantial citizens of this county and the Fowler family are
highly respected citizens of the county.
Mrs. R. E. Fowler is interested in the breeding
of Chinese Chows and she has won many ribbons at various dog shows.
The dogs are highly valued and during the past year Mrs. Fowler
sold several puppies, the sale of which totaled $1,100.00. Mr.
Fowler is a breeder of Black Silver Foxes, having paid $3,000.00 for
his first pair.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
FREDERICKS, blacksmith, Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Jefferson
county, New York, June 29, 1823. He is a son of John and Eunice (Nutting)
Fredericks. The father, a native of Holland, came to America in
1806, and settled in Groton, Massachusetts, and in that State married
Miss Nutting, a native of Massachusetts and a descendant of Scotch
ancestry. He was a mason by trade, and while in the East was employed in
stucco work. He moved to Conneaut in 1837, and passed the rest of his life
in this county. He died at Kingsville, December 30, 1855, aged ninety
years. Few men were better known in this part of the State than he, as he
did plastering and mason work all over northeastern Ohio. His wife died
about 1859, aged sixty-six years. Both were members of the Congregational
Church for many years. They had a family of nine children, namely:
Emory, who resides in Canada; Betsey, wife of Luther
Spencer, both deceased; Harriet, wife of Seth McNutt, is
deceased; William, of New York State; Jerome N.;
Mrs. Elial Risdon, Conneaut; Barsheba, widow of Captain
Lent, resides with her sister, Mrs. Risdon; Levi, of
Conneaut; and Elbridge, of Humboldt county, California.
Mr. Fredericks started out in life as a
clerk in a store in Buffalo, and remained there two years. He came to
Conneaut in June, 1839, and at once began to learn the blacksmith trade.
He was the first boy in this town to serve a regular apprenticeship at any
trade. After completing his term of service he traveled through this
country and Canada, spending two years in Hamilton, Canada West, and
eighteen months in St. Catherines, and after. an absence of live years
returned to Conneaut. He has been a resident here since 1847. Some time in
the '50s Mr. Fredericks opened his shop on Sandusky street.
His house, the first one built on the street, is still standing. At that
time all this part of the town was in timber. About two years before the
war he received an injury which rendered him unfit for service, and upon
examination for entrance into the army was rejected. He served as
Councilman of Conneaut one term, at the end of which term he refused to
Mr. Fredericks married Miss
Milura, daughter of Sylvester and Sophronia (Mason) Cowles,
of Medina county, Ohio. Both her parents are deceased, her father dying
about 1878, aged seventy-three years, and her mother in 1875, aged
seventy-live They were life-long members of the Congregational Church.
Mrs. Fredericks is the oldest of their six children, the others being
as follows: Shepard, who was drowned at the age of two years;
Newel M., engaged in farming in Medina county, Ohio; Shepard
B., a Michigan farmer; Emily J., wife of Lewis
Rensburg of Illinois; and Ellen H., who died at the age of five
years. Mr. and Mrs. Fredericks have had two children, namely:
Edmund J., a partner in business with his father, and a young
man of fine physique and good habits; and Minnie, who died in 1882,
aged nineteen. Mrs. Fredericks is a member of the Christian Church.
Mr. Fredericks' life has been characterized by
industry and the strictest integrity. His honest toil has been rewarded
with success. Today he is in comfortable circumstances and owns valuable
property in Conneaut. He has long been a Democrat, taking, however, little
interest in politics now. He is a member of the blue lodge, chapter,
council and commandery of Conneaut, of the Alcoran Temple and of the
Scottish Kite, having taken the thirty-second degree, at Cleveland. In all
these organizations he has held official positions. He is one of the
members of Cache Commandery.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)
|L. B. Fulmer,
the well known city food and dairy inspector of Conneaut, was born in New
York City, Aug. 9, 1892, and is the son of R. A. and Ida (May) Fulmer.
R. A. Fulmer has been prominent for many years in
New York City as an artist and at the present time is in Paris. His
wife is living with her son in Conneaut. A daughter, Agatha,
is married to Charles Britton and they live in Conneaut.
L. B. Fulmer received his education in Conneaut,
his family having removed to Ashtabula County in 1894. Mr.
Fulmer worked as an automobile mechanic until 1916, at which time he
entered the employ of the United States Secret Service as an inspector of
food and dairy products. He has been located at Conneaut in this
capacity for the past four years.
Mr. Fulmer is a Republican and a member of the
Methodist Church. He is held in high regard throughout the community
and is an excellent citizen of Ashtabula County.
Note 1: Source - Biographical History of Northeastern,
Ohio Embracing the Counties of Ashtabula, Geauga and Lake.
Containing Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States with a Biography
of each, together with Portraits and Biographies of Joshua R. Giddings, Benjamin
F. Wade and a large number of Early Settlers and Representative Families of
Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company - 1893.
NOTE: There will be an asterisk (*) next to the biographies that have a