Ashtabula Co., Ohio
SOURCE: History of Ashtabula County, Ohio
Large, Moina W.
Topeka :: Historical Pub. Co.,, 1924, 1132 pgs.
NOTE: Other Biographies will have a note stating their sources.
ALSO NOTE: I will transcribe biographies upon request. Please
state the County and State in the Subject line of the email. ~ SW
|* BACON, Milton L.
* BAILEY, C. H.
* BAILEY, F. M.
* BAIRD, W. C.
* BAIRD, William H.
* BAKER, Clinton D., Dr.
* BAKER, J. E.
* BAKER, O. N.
* BAKER, Theodore
* BALDWIN, L. I.
* BALES, L. C.
* BARNES, Frank E.
* BARRETT, Martha
* BARTHLOMEW, Arthur E.
* BATES, Lee C.
* BATTRICK, P. E.
* BAUSS, Albert B.
* BAXTER, I. H.
* BEALS, Frank E.
* BEAN, William A.
* BEARDSLEY, B. E.
* BECKWITH, Lester R.
* BECKWITH, Norman W.
* BEEBE, Cyrus M.
* BEEDE, Moses Worthing
* BEER, F. D.
* BEHNER, L. H.
* BENJAMIN, Charles W.
* BENJAMIN, Earl E.
* BENJAMIN, Fred E.
* BENNETT, J. D. & Son
* BENTON, Geroge A.
* BEST, P. H.
* BISHOP, N. H., Dr.
* BJERSTEDT, Anton
* BJERSTEDT, Edward
* BLACK, E. A.
* BLAIR, Frank J.
|* BLAKELEY, Henry
* BLANCHARD, Freeman M.
* BLISS, B. S.
* BONNAR, James D.
* BOOTH, William
* BOURQUIN, J. J.
* BOTTORF, D. E., Dr.
* BOVEE, H. R.
* BRACE, Duff
* BRADLEY, J. A.
* BRAINARD, B. E.
* BRANT, Charles H.
* BRASSINGTON, Asa
* BRAYMAN, John
* BREWSTER, George W.
* BREWSTER, Harley C.
* BREWSTER, Otis L.
* BROWN, S. W., Dr.
* BROWN, George W.
* BROWN, James
* BROWN, John Joseph
* BROWN, L. F.
* BROWN, Lewis D.
* BROWN, Marie Tracy
* BROWN, Merton O.
* BROWN, William H.
* BRYDLE, F. C.
* BRYDLE, Fred E.
* BRAYMAN, Dixie H.
* BULLARD, W. W.
* BURLINGAME, Frank C.
* BURR, C. H.
* BUSS, S. Burkley
* BUSS, William G.
* BUTLER, F. A.
* BUTLER, Fred
* BUTLER, Harry D.
|DR. CLINTON D. BAKER,
Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Warren county, Pennsylvania, May 7, 1859, son
of Lewis and Sarah A. (Webb) Baker.
Lewis Baker was born and reared in Buffalo, New York, the
date of his birth being 1812. His father, William Baker,
owned the land on which a large part of Buffalo now stands. Lewis
Baker moved to Crawford county, Pennsylvania, when a young man, and
was married at the age of twenty-three, his bride being "sweet sixteen."
His whole life was spent in agricultural pursuits. A true Christian, a
member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, honorable and upright in his
dealings with his fellow men, industrious, public spirited and generous,
his life was one worthy of emulation. In his home genial hospitality was
dispensed to all, and especially did the Methodist minister find a warm
reception there. October 24,1883, at the age of seventy-one years, he
passed from earth to his reward. His widow, born May 10, 1819, is still
living. They reared a large family to occupy useful and honorable
positions in life, and of them we make the following record: James,
who served five years as Drum Major of Company E, One Hundred and Eleventh
Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, married Miss Laura Alden,
and is now a resident of Spring Creek, Warren county, Pennsylvania;
Josiah W., First Lieutenant of Company E, One Hundred and Forty-fifth
Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, was detailed as Captain of Company G, and
was acting as such in the battle of the Wilderness when he was shot and
instantly killed, aged twenty-six and unmarried; William, an
extensive lumber dealer of Spring Creek, Pennsylvania, married Abi
Grant, daughter of Dr. Benjamin Grant; Adelia, wife
of William Bates, resides on a farm in Crawford county,
Pennsylvania; Agnes and her husband, Dr. John Gray,
are both deceased; Mary E. is the wife of L. E. Pearce, a
banker and prominent citizen of Morris, Minnesota; Ellen M.,
wife of J. H. Symons, of Elyria, Ohio; Frances, wife of
William Baker, is deceased; Sarah, who died at the age
of nine years; Clinton D.; Irvin W., who married
Minnie Foreman, is in the lumber business with his brother in
Dr. Clinton D. Baker received a common and
high-school education and then served an apprenticeship in pharmacy, under
G. W. Clarkson, M. D. After this he became a member of the firm of
Weist & Baker in a drug store, and before they had conducted
business a year were burned out. This was in 1873. The following seven
years he was employed as traveling salesman. Then, in company with Dr.
W. O. Gilson, he bought a drug store at Spring Creek, and while in
this business began the study of medicine. He passed the State
examination in pharmacy. Then he took a three years' course at the
"Western Reserve Medical College, Cleveland, Ohio, graduating with the
class of 1892, and after his graduation established himself in the
practice of his profession at Conneaut, where he is meeting with excellent
Dr. Baker was married June 11, 1885, to Miss
Laura B. Calvin, daughter of Atchison and Essie
Calvin, of Brookville, Jefferson county, Pennsylvania, her people
being of Scotch descent. She is a line pianist, has a beautiful voice, and
is a graduate in music. They have one child, Harold Lewis.
Mrs. Baker is a member of the Presbyterian Church. The
Doctor is a stanch Republican. He is a Mason and an Odd Fellow and is also
a member of the Equitable Aid Union.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)
FRANK E. BARNES,
who has for 21 years been prominently identified with the interests
of Conneaut as street commissioner, is a native of Pennsylvania. He
was born at Sharon, Feb. 2, 1874, and is a son of Zed and Della
Zed Barnes was born at Perry, N. Y., and when a young man
removed to Sharon, Pa., and later to Ashtabula County. He served
throughout the Civil War and died June 22, 1918. His wife lives at
Conneaut, and is now 75 years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Barnes
were the parents of four children: Samuel, lives at Conneaut;
Frank E., the subject of this sketch; Nellie, married
Vernie Berniger, lives in Conneaut; and Cora, married
Ross West, in Cleveland.
Frank E. Barnes spent his boyhood at Erie, Pa., and received
his education in the public schools there. In 1886 he removed to
Conneaut, where he has since lived. The Barnes residence is
located at 623 Sandusky Street.
On Aug. 13, 1896, Mr. Barnes was united in marriage with
Miss Rose M. Loesch, a native of Erie, Pa., born Oct. 11, 1872,
and the daughter of Adam and Eva (Roth) Loesch, natives of
Germany, both of whom are now deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Loesch
had five children as follows: Adam, lives at Buffalo, N. Y.;
Anna, married Robert Duncan and, after his death she
married Henry Duncan, lives at Erie, Pa.; Mrs. Barnes;
Joseph, lives at Erie, Pa.; and Mary married Joseph
Fronkacht, lives at Erie, Pa. To Mr. and Mrs. Barnes six
children have been born, as follows: Stella born Sept. 14,
1896; Raymond, born June 8, 1898; Eveline, born Aug.
1, 1903; Laurena, born Dec. 28, 1905; Lewis, born May
17, 1907; and Alfred, born Apr. 25, 1910. The children are
all now living at home.
Mr. Barnes is a Republican, and he and his family are members
of the Christian Church, and are numbered among the substantial
citizens of Ashtabula County.
Source: History of Ashtabula County,
Ohio by Moina W. Large - Vol. I - 1924 - Page 730
MRS. MARTHA BARRETT,
one of Ashtabula County's prominent and highly esteemed women, is a
native of the county where she has spent her entire life. She was
born at Ashtabula Harbor, July 30, 1865, and is the daughter of
Capt. Marshall and Jane (Jeffords) Wright.
Capt. Marshall Wright, a well known lake captain for many years,
was the son of Jesse Wright, one of Ohio's first settlers.
The latter came to Ashtabula County from Connecticut and located at
Wrightville, now Saybrook, where he engaged in general farming.
Later he removed to Ashtabula Harbor, where he reared his family.
His son, Marshall, was married to Jane Jeffords, a
member of a prominent pioneer family of Ashtabula County. The
Jeffords lived at Rock Creek, Mrs. Barrett's grandmother
having settled there after the death of her husband, Henry Eber
Jeffords, who died at Rock Creek, Ohio, after serving in the
Civil War. Two of his sons, Jefferson and John, also
served in the Civil War; they are both deceased. To Captain and
Mrs. Wright three children were born: Jesse and James
M., both deceased; and Martha, the subject of this
Martha Wright was married in 1883 to Charles H. Barrett,
a native of England, and the son of Henry and Lavinia (Lawrence)
Barrett. The Barrett family came to the United States
with James Lawrence, a draftsman, who came to this country to
take charge of the laying out of Central Park in New York City.
Mr. Barrett was also a surveyor and was in the employ of the
United States government for 14 years. In 1882 he came to Ashtabula
Harbor and had charge of government work there two years, and then
purchased a farm of 25 acres on South Ridge Road, in Ashtabula
Township, where his wife now lives. He died in February, 1914. To
Mr. and Mrs. Barrett were born three children: Harry E.,
born in 1885, employed by the Pennsylvania Dock Company at Ashtabula
Harbor; Louis, who died at the age of 13 years, and
Lawrence, born in July, 1906, a student.
Mr. Barrett was a member of the school board for nine years.
His wife holds membership in St. Michael's Mission, which is now
known as Grace Memorial Church.
Source: History of Ashtabula County, Ohio by Moina W. Large - Vol. I
- 1924 - Page 500
late of Conneaut, was for many years a prominent factor in the business
and social life of this town, and few men stood higher in the estimation
of its people than did he.
Mr. Blakeley was born in Erie county, New York, October 10, 1815, and was
married in Conneaut, April 4, 1841, to Miss Sarah Ann
Wade, also a native of Erie county, New York. It was about 1838 that he
landed in Conneaut, and from that date until January 26, 1889, the time of
his death, he was identified with its best interests. For some time he
was engaged in the livery business here. He built the Tremont Hotel, and
as its genial landlord catered to the traveling public for a period of
twenty-five years, during which time he made hosts of friends. After he
sold the Tremont it was enlarged, and has since been known as the
Mr. Blakeley was a member of the F. & A. M. and the I. O. O. F., and for
many years was a Deacon in the Congregational Church. He was a man of
pleasing address, warm heart and generous impulses, and was eminently
fitted for the position he occupied. At his death Conneaut lost a valued
citizen. His good wife, too, has passed away, her death having occurred
August 14, 1883, at which time she had attained the age of sixty years.
She was a member of the same church as was her husband, and for more than
forty years their lives were happily blended together.
Of the five children of this worthy couple we make record as follows: Mrs.
Sarah J. Loomis, of Conneaut, is the oldest; James H. is the next in order
of birth; Charles P. died at the age of five years; Ellen E., widow of
George B. Humphrey, resides in Conneaut; and Emma A., wife of Charles P.
De Hart, is also of Conneaut.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)
|L. I. BALDWIN,
a venerable citizen of Conneaut, for several years engaged in milling, and
now retired from active business, dates his birth in Oneida county, New
York, October 26, 1811. The facts in regard to his life and ancestry have
been gleaned and are herewith presented.
The Baldwins trace their ancestry back to
Nathaniel Baldwin, of England, whose son, Samuel, was
the father of Nathaniel Baldwin, the great-great-grandfather
of the subject of our sketch. Nathaniel Baldwin and his
wife, nee Abigail Camp, came from England to America and
settled in Milford, Connecticut, in 1639. He was born in Bucks county,
England, and died in Connecticut in 1658. His wife died March 22, 1648. At
the time they came to America his brothers, Timothy, Joseph,
John and Richard, also came. Nathaniel and Abigail
Baldwin had seven children: John, Daniel,
Nathaniel, Abigail, Samuel, Sarah and Deborah.
Samuel, the fifth, was born November 28, 1744, and died
February 22,1804. His wife, who before her marriage was Mercy
Stanley, died January 6, 1768. They had a family of six sons and five
daughters, one of whom, Enos Stanley Baldwin, married
Charlotte Bailey, and had four sons and four daughters.
Enos S. died October 20, 1828, and his wife died February 26,1815. One
of their four sons, Remus, the father of L. I., was born in
Milford, October 5, 1791, and his wife, whose maiden name was Julia
Ives, was born December 20, 1787, she, too, being a native of
Remus Baldwin moved to New York and
subsequently to Pennsylvania, in Erie, in the latter State, spending the
closing days of his life. He was for some time engaged in farming and
afterward in various occupations. He and his wife were members of the
Presbyterian Church for many years, he being an officer in the Church.
They were married September 9, 1810. Their family of live children is as
follows: L. I.; Almira C., wife of David Brand,
is deceased, as also is her husband; Samuel, who married Abigail
Snow, is deceased; Horace and his wife, Nancy A. (Welton),
are both deceased; and Caleb Parker, unmarried, died on the
Pacific ocean, July 29, 1852, while on his way to California, the supposed
cause of his death being cholera. The father of this family died in Erie,
Pennsylvania, December 9, 1853; the mother at the same place, February 10,
L. I. Baldwin removed with his parents from
Oneidato Genesee county, New York, and in 1820 to Cattaraugus county, same
State, whence they afterward removed to Erie county, Pennsylvania. He
remained on the farm with his father until after they went to Erie county,
when he located at Erie for the purpose of learning a trade, that of
woolen manufacturer. After remaining there six years, he went back to the
farm. For many years he farmed in Erie county. In the spring of 1872 he
located in Conneaut, and here for four years ran a gristmill. He served as
Justice of the Peace of Conneaut three years, having filled the same
office while a resident of Elk Creek and Girard, Pennsylvania.
Mr. Baldwin was married August 10, 1837, to
Miss Rosanna Battles, daughter of Asa and Elizabeth (Brown) Battles.
Her father was born in Massachusetts, April 10, 1786, and her mother in
Vermont, May 9, 1787. The former died in 1848, and the latter in 1868. In
the Battles family were six children, as follows: Rosina, the
oldest, born June 27, 1815; George, a resident of California;
Alsina, of Girard, Pennsylvania; Lucina, also of Girard; Asa,
deceased; and Rush, a banker, manufacturer and farmer of Girard.
Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin have had twelve children,
namely: Byron A., a real-estate dealer of Chicago, is married and
has two children; Julia, wife of James A. Moorehead, Erie
county, Pennsylvania, has six children; Narcissa, wife of J. C.
Denslow, died at the age of twenty years; Remus Asa,
who married Adaline Foot and has seven children, was in the
war two years, and the past twenty-seven years has been in the employ of
the Pittsburg & Cleveland Railroad, being now a resident of Cleveland
Georgia A. A., wife of Morton H. Gould, of Arizona, has seven
children; Gorham Ives, an engineer, was killed in a railroad
wreck in 1882, and left a widow and three children; Florence E.,
who died at the age of thirty-six years; Rush Emerson died
at St. Louis, at the age of twenty-one years; Lucene, wife of C.
R. Goddard, of Conneaut, has four children; Leslie, who died at
the age of twenty-six years; Kent Kane, married and living
in Chicago, has three children; Elmer E., of Conneaut, is married
and has one child. There are forty grandchildren in the family and five
great-grandchildren. Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin celebrated the fiftieth
anniversary of their marriage August 10, 1887.
(For Source, see Note 1 below) (ALSO,
Click Here to see BALDWIN)
|FRANK J. BLAIR,
civil engineer, is among Ashtabula's enterprising and substantial
business men. He was born in Ashtabula, July 26, 1873, and is
the son of Henry James and Cordelia V. (Jeffords) Blair.
Henry James Blair was born in Waterford, Pa., March
31, 1831, and came to Ashtabula at the age of 12 years, when his
parents died. He was one of the pioneer lake captains of this
section and died Feb. 14, 1907. His wife was a native of
Chautauqua, N. Y., born Nov. 28, 1837, and came to Ashtabula with
her parents when she was tow yeas of age. She died Feb. 28,
1915. After coming to this county from New York Mrs.
Blair's parents settled on a farm near Rock Creek. Her
father served throughout the Civil War and died in Nashville, Tenn.
A sister of Henry James Blair, Sarah A., married Charles
V. Bowers, lumber dealer. She is now deceased. To
Mr. and Mrs. Blair the following children were born:
Jennie A., Ashtabula; Joseph, born Oct. 25, 1863, died
Sept. 27, 1904; Laverne L., married H. M. Kunkle, a
sketch of whom appears in this volume; Charles, barn Jan. 7,
1876, died Nov. 1, 1902; Frank J., the subject of this
sketch; and John, born Aug. 29, 1871, died July 23, 1921.
Frank J. Blair spent his boyhood in Ashtabula
and attended the public schools. When a young man he entered
the employ of the city of Ashtabula for 16 years. Mr. Blair
has been connected with the Pennsylvania Railroad and the New York
Central Railroad in the capacity of civil engineer. He was
also located in Cleveland and Youngstown at various times. He
was also connected with the Great Lakes Engineering Company and with
H. E. Mann of Ashtabula. Mr. Blair is now
in business for himself and handles all kinds of engineering.
Politically, Mr. Blair is a Democrat. He
holds membership in St. Peter's Episcopal Church, and belongs to the
Masonic and Elks Lodges and the Modern Woodmen of America.
Mr. Blair with his sister lives at the old homestead at 531 Lake
Street. He is a man esteemed throughout Ashtabula County for
his reliability and industry.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
|FRANCIS B. BLOOD,
a prominent and wealthy farmer and stock dealer of Conneaut, Ohio, was
born in Venango county, Pennsylvania, August 31, 1837, son of John and
Caroline (August) Blood.
John Blood was born in Franklin, Venango county,
Pennsylvania, January 4, 1807, and died December 31,1892, lacking four
days of being eighty-six years of age. Left an orphan when he was six
months old, he was adopted by Francis Buchannan, of Corn
Planter township, Venango county, and was reared by him. December 7,
1828, he married Elizabeth Masterson, who died in 1834,
leaving three daughters. A year after her death he married Caroline
August, daughter of Benjamin and Mary August, and with her he
lived in ever growing affection for fifty-six years. She, too, was born in
Venango county, Pennsylvania, is still living, and will be eighty-two
years old her next birthday, September 22, 1893. She has been a member of
the Methodist Episcopal Church for over forty years. Few men in
northeastern Ohio were better known or more highly esteemed than John
Blood. Fifty-four years of his rugged life were spent in
Pennsylvania. He moved to Ohio in 1861, and here for thirty-two years he
went out and came in, a man among men, much respected and beloved, a man
of sterling integrity, fearless in defending what he believed to be right,
at heart as sweet and tender as a child. He was converted in 1843, and
united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which church he lived to
adorn its fellowship and communion for over a half century. In this church
he lived and died, —nay, not died, but sweetly fell asleep. His song on
earth is hushed. His chair in the church is vacant. He will not soon be
forgotten. Blessed are the dead that die in the Lord.
John Blood and his second wife had a
large family of children, five sons and eight daughters, of whom we make
record as follows: Two of the daughters, Caroline and Julia A.,
are deceased, the former, the wife of Adison Bugby, dying at
the age of forty years, and the latter at the age of eight years. Those
living are Hiram, the oldest, who married Belle Read;
John, who married Sarah Baker; William L., who
married Lucy Root; Benjamin, who married Alice
Ashley; Mary, wife of William Pierson;
Nancy, wife of James Pierson; Margaret, wife of
Howard Brooks; Almira, widower of William
Lilly; Jane, widow of R. Rockwell; and Hattie,
wife of Charles Sharley.
Francis B. Blood began life on his own
responsibility when he reached his majority, having had 200 acres of land
in the oil regions of his native State willed to him by the gentleman for
whom he was named—Mr. Francis Buchannan, his foster grandfather,
who died about 1848. On this land he operated in the oil business himself,
and had others to sink wells from which he received a royalty. In this
enterprise he was very successful. Selling out in 1864, he came the
following year to Ashtabula county, Ohio, where he has since been
extensively engaged in farming. He has three farms, altogether containing
400 acres. One of 160 acres is located just across the Ohio line in
Pennsylvania. The other two are near Conneaut, one west and the other
south of the city. These are rated with the best land in the county, and
will soon be laid out in town lots. Mr. Blood has given
considerable attention to buying, selling and raising stock, sheep, cattle
As a public spirited and enterprising man, Mr.
Blood ranks with the leading citizens of the county. He is now
serving his sixth year as Township Trustee, his term to expire in April,
1894. He is a stockholder and one of the directors in the Conneaut Mutual
Loan Association. In educational affairs he has ever taken an active
interest, having served as School Director for fifteen years. Politically,
he is an ardent Democrat. He is prominently identified with the Masonic
fraternity, being a member of the blue lodge, chapter, council and
commandery, and at various times holding official position in the same.
During the Denver conclave he was the only Standard Bearer who carried the
banner from beginning to end of the parade without being overcome by
fatigue. Mr. Blood is also a member of the Knights of Honor
and other fraternal organizations.
Mrs. Blood is a lady of culture and
refinement and presides with ease and grace over their charming country
home. Her maiden name was Miss Angeline Steward, she
being one of a family of eleven children and a daughter of Mr. and Mrs.
Charles Steward, all natives of Venango county, Pennsylvania.
She and her brother James are the only ones of the family living in
Ashtabula county. Mr. and Mrs. Blood were married February 18,
1862, and have five sons, namely: Charles C., who resides on the
Pennsylvania farm above referred to, and who is married to Nellie
Lamphier.and has one child, Pearl; Francis B. and
John C., residing at home, are associated with their father in his
farming operations; Otis K., a mechanic of some notoriety; and
Ralph A., a student in the public schools.
Mrs. Blood has been a member of the
Christian Church for nearly twenty years.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)
BRASSINGTON, who conducts a general merchandise store in
Saybrook Township, is a member of a well known pioneer family of
Ashtabula County. He was born at Saybrook, Ohio, in 1850, and
is the son of John and Eliza (Brondage) Brassington.
John Brassington was a native of New York, as was
also his wife. They were married there in 1833 and five years
later came to Ashtabula County and located on a farm on North Ridge
Road near Saybrook. He was a wool buyer and died in July,
1901, at the age of 93 yeas. His wife died Oct. 25, 1900, at
the age of 87 years. Mr. and Mrs. Brassington were the
parents of 12 children; four of whom are now living: Frank,
a retired hardware merchant, lives in Shaker Heights, Ohio; Asa,
the subject of this sketch; Mary Savage, lives in Detroit,
Mich.; and James W., engaged in the real estate business.
Mr. Brassington was married on December 27,
1917, to Miss Addie M. Preston, a native of Michigan, born
Oct. 11, 1872, and the daughter of Levi R. and Lucinda O'Brien
Preston. Mr. Preston was born in Sandusky County, Ohio,
Dec. 24, 1849. His wife died Feb. 15, 1915. Two sons,
Glen Y. and Elton, live in Michigan. Mr.
Brassington married the first time to Helen M. Brown and
to this union three children were born, as follows: Charles
E., lives in Toledo, Ohio, married Nettie Johnson, and
they have one child, Dorothy; Ray, deceased; and Mrs.
Gertrude Lewis, lives in Detroit, Mich., and had one child,
Helen, now deceased.
Helen Brown Brassington was born in 1852 in Erie
County, Pa. She died Aug. 28, 1917.
Mr. Brassington and his wife hold a membership
in the Methodist church and are highly respected citizens of
(See Note 2 below for Source)
G. BUSS, a carpenter by trade and a highly esteemed citizen of
Conneaut, Ohio, was born in Canada, and dates the day of his nativity back
to June 2,1838. He first arrived in Conneaut when he was six weeks old,
his parents having located here at that time.
Mr. Buss is a son of Alford and Jane (Kibourn)
Buss, who were born, reared and married in Vermont. Alford
Buss was a tanner and currier by trade. He carried on business at
Conneaut from 1854 until 1859, when he moved to Tennessee. In Tennessee he
was engaged in the boot and shoe business until the spring of 1863, when,
with his property burned by the rebels and his life threatened by them,
and for no other reason than that he was a Union man, he was obliged to
seek a home elsewhere. Just before he left a friend of his, a Union man,
was found suspended by the neck and dead, and Mr. Buss had
warning that unless he left within I twenty-four hours he would share the
fate of his friend. General Buell made his headquarters on
Mr. Buss's premises while in that vicinity. Coming North
with his family—wife and one son Mr. Buss located in New
Albany, Indiana. Eight months later he went to Galena, same State, where
he spent the rest of his life, engaged in the boot and shoe trade. He was
born in 1809 and lived to be seventy-six years of age. His wife, also born
in 1809, died in 1866. Their family was composed of six children, as
follows: Loring, who was accidentally drowned in Conneaut creek in
1842 at the age of six years; William G., the subject of this
sketch; Henry, who came home from the army during the war, with
health impaired, and died two weeks later at the age of twenty-two;
Alfred, who was in the same battery with his brother Henry—the
Second Ohio—was discharged on account of disability in 1863, but
recovered, and several years afterward died of heart disease; George,
who enlisted in a Kentucky regiment in 1864 and served until the close of
the war, is now a resident of Galena, Indiana; and Hattie, widow of
Burr Emerson, is a resident of Crothersville, Indiana.
William G. Buss first launched out in business
for himself in a sawmill at Port Burwell, Canada. When the war broke out
he came to the United States and enlisted at Ashtabula, Ohio, April 27,
1861, in Company I, Ohio Volunteer Infantry, in the three months' service.
He was discharged August 30, 1861, and on the 16th of the following month
enlisted in Company E, Twenty-ninth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, as Sergeant.
He veteranized December 21, 1868, at Wanhatchie, Tennessee; was mustered
out of the service at Louisville, Kentucky, July 13, 1865. Among the
engagements in which he took part were those of Winchester, Port Republic,
Chancellorsville, Gettysburg and Lookout Mountain. He was with Sherman
on that famous march from Atlanta to the sea, thence up through the
Carolinas to Richmond and onto Washington, taking part in the grand
The war over, Mr. Buss went to Saginaw,
Michigan, as lumber inspector, and remained there until 1876. He has since
been a resident of Conneaut, engaged in work at the carpenters' trade.
Mr. Buss was married March 28, 1867, to Miss
Emma Farnham, a native of Conneaut and a daughter of Elisha and
Mary (Ring) Farnham. Elisha Farnham was born in
Connecticut June 8, 1806, the sixth in the family of ten children of
Thomas Farnham. Thomas Farnham and his father
were soldiers in the Revolutionary war. At the age of twenty-five
Elisha Farnham came West to Ohio and settled in Ashtabula
county on lands that he occupied up to the time of his death. He owned and
operated a gristmill and sawmill, located four miles from Conneaut. He was
married in Conneaut. He died October 4, 1875, aged sixty-nine years, his
wife having passed away in 1849, aged thirty-two. Mrs. Buss
was two years old when her mother died, and was the youngest of the
family, which was composed of six children, the others being as follows:
Don Alphonzo, who served in the Second Ohio Battery two years, came
from the army and died soon afterward of hasty consumption; Flora,
wife of T. S. Young, of South Ridge, this county; Patrick
Henry, a Wisconsin farmer; Mary, wife of Steven
Havelin, of South Ridge; Lydia E., widow of Cornell
Fuller, is a resident of Conneaut.
Mr. and Mrs. Buss have five children, viz.:
Henry, Jennie, Don Alfred, Lee Ring
and Anna Emily. Henry married Minnie Tinker
and lives in Conneaut. The other children are members of the home circle.
Mr. Buss belongs to the G. A. R., and his
wife is a charter member of the W. R. C. at Conneaut, of which
organization she was the first vice-president.
(For Source, see Note 1 below)
Source 1 - Biographical History of
Northeastern, Ohio Embracing the Counties of Ashtabula, Geauga and Lake.
Containing Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States with a Biography
of each, together with Portraits and Biographies of Joshua R. Giddings, Benjamin
F. Wade and a large number of Early Settlers and Representative Families of
Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company - 1893.
Source 2 - History of Ashtabula County, Ohio by Mrs. Moina W. Large - 1924
NOTE: There will be an asterisk (*) next to the biographies that have a