Ashtabula Co., Ohio
SOURCE: History of Ashtabula County, Ohio
Large, Moina W.
Topeka :: Historical Pub. Co.,, 1924, 1132 pgs.
NOTE: Other Biographies will have a note stating their sources.
ALSO NOTE: I will transcribe biographies upon request. Please
state the County and State in the Subject line of the email. ~ SW
|* ABBOTT, Aimee Greene
* ABRAMSON, Arlie B.
* ADDICOTT, George P.
* ALDERMAN, C. G.
* ALDERMAN, Elsworth A.
* ALLEN, L. W.
* ALLEN, Riley G.
* ALLYN, Jeremiah
* ALLYN, William M.
* ALWARD, H. J.
* AMSDEN, J. M.
* ANDERSON, Carl A.
* ANDERSON, George S., Dr.
|* ANDERSON, E. E.
* ANDERSON, Gust
* ANDERSON, Harry A.
* ANDERSON, Peter J.
* ANDERSON, William H.
* ANDRUS, A. E.
* APPLEBY, C. W.
* ARMSTRONG, W. E.
* ARNER, Henry M.
* ARTHUR, George T.
* ASHLEY, W. S. D., Dr.
* ASHLEY, S. L.
* ASSUNMAA, Thomas
* AYRES, B. F.
|AIMEE GREENE ABBOTT ranks
among the well known and highly esteemed women of Ashtabula County.
She is a native of Andover, born Jan. 1, 1873, and the daughter of
Elmer and Lucretia (Lindsley) Green.
Elmer Green was born in Cherry Valley Township,
Ashtabula County Nov. 23, 1840, and was a leading attorney of the county
for more than 50 years. He attended Grand River College and Chicago
University, after which he began the practice of his profession at
Freeport, Ill. Nine years later he removed to Andover, where he
spent the remainder of his life. Mr. Green was a member of
the Masonic Lodge and a prominent citizen of his community during his
life. He served as president of the board of education for nine
years and also as justice of the peace. Mr. and Mrs. Greene,
both now deceased, were the parents of one child, Aimee, the subject of
Aimee (Greene) Abbott was educated in the
schools of Andover and attended Jefferson Institute, after which she
engaged in teaching at Williamsfield and Andover. Mrs. Abbott
was later graduated from a New England university in Boston.
On Jan. 30, 1900, Miss Greene was united in
marriage with Charles E. Abbott, a native of New York, born March
27, 1860. They have two adopted children: Ruth Thompson, who
lives in New York; and Gregory Jett, who is now with the navy.
Mrs. Abbott is a member of the Congregational
Church. She has traveled throughout the world extensively and is a
magazine writer of note.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
ARLIE B. ABRAMSON is a
veteran of the World War and a prominent and successful young business man
of Ashtabula. He is owner and proprietor of three stores in
Conneaut, which are known as the Boston Stores. Mr.
Abramson was born in Cleveland, Sept. 6, 1895, and is the son of
Abe and Esther (Rosenstein) Abramson.
Abe Abramson, well know merchant of Painesville,
was born in Poland and came to this country when a young man, locating in
Philadelphia, where he lived for several years before moving to Cleveland.
He removed from Cleveland to Painesville in 1903 and established his
present business, which is now the largest department store in that city.
There are four children in the Abramson family, as follows:
Ralph, lives in Painesville, is a World War veteran, having served
overseas; Arlie B., the subject of this sketch; Ruth,
deceased; and Miriam who will be graduated from Western
Reserve University in Cleveland in 1925.
Arlie B. Abramson received his education in the
public schools of Painesville and his first business venture was in his
father's store as a clerk. In 1916 Mr. Abramson came to
Conneaut, where he became a business partner of M. C. Levitt until
Feb. 23, 1924, at which time Mr. Abramson purchased Mr. Levitt's
interest in the business. He owns several pieces of valuable city
property as well as his place of business. Mr. Abramson's
stores are located at 215 Main Street, 209 Main Street and 217 Main
During the World War Mr. Abramson enlisted for
service on June 14, 1917. He was among the first men from Lake
County and was sent to Camp Taylor, Kentucky, and from there to Camp
Funston, Kansas. Mr. Abramson was discharged at Camp Sherman,
Chillicothe, Ohio, on April 10, 1919, having received the rank of
Mr. Abramson belongs to the American Legion, the
Elks Lodge and the Chamber of Commerce. He has always taken an
active interest in athletics and promotes a baseball team, which is known
as the Boston Store Team. Mr. Abramson is a capable and
progressive man and an excellent citizen.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
|GEORGE P. ADDICOTT,
who has lived on the same farm in Orwell Township during his entire
life, ranks among the substantial farmers of Ashtabula County. He
was born June 25, 1874, and is the son of James and Jane (Beer)
James Addicott came to this country from England,
where he was born, and located in Ashtabula County. He became a
prosperous farmer and was widely known throughout the community.
He was born in 1825 and died July 19, 1910. His wife was also a
native of England and is now 94 years of age. To Mr. and Mrs.
Addicott eight children were born, as follows: Esther
Brower, lives at Orwell; Lizzie Meigs, lives at Orwell;
Charles, lives in Wayne Township, Ashtabula County; Anna (Dole)
deceased; Walter, lives at Colebrook; Sarah Jones,
lives at East Orwell; George P., the subject of this sketch; and
Gertrude, who died at the age of 14 years.
George P. Addicott attended the schools of
Orwell and has always been interested in general farming and stock
raising. He operates 72 acres of land and has a well improved
On Oct. 24, 1918, Mr. Addicott was united in
marriage with Miss Beatrice Cummins, daughter of James and
Helen Avery Cummins, a native of Windsor, Ohio, born in
September, 1884. They have one son, Robert James, who was
born Aug. 22, 1920.
Mr. Addicott is a Republican.
|C. G. ALDERMAN,
a well known farmer of Windsor Township, is a member of a family that
has been actively identified with Ashtabula County for many years.
He was born on this farm in Windsor Township, Dec. 26, 1870, and is the
son of C. M. and Luella (Skinner) Alderman/
C. M. Alderman was born at Windsor, March 30, 1844,
the son of T. J. and Caroline Alderman. T. J. Alderman
was also a native of Windsor, born Dec. 15, 1817, the son of Timothy
L. Anderson, who came to this county from Connecticut in 1804.
T. J. Alderman was married on Oct. 5, 1843. To this union
two children were born: C. M. father of the subject of this
sketch; and Lucy J. Hurlburt.
C. M. Alderman, deceased, was a veteran of the
Civil War, having served with Company K, One Hundred and Fifth Ohio
Volunteer Infantry. After the close of the war he returned to the
homestead at Windsor, where he engaged in farming. On Oct. 20,
1868, he was married to Miss Luella Skinner, who was born in
Ashtabula County, April 2, 1846, the daughter of Jeptha and Eliza
(Alderman) Skinner. Mr. Skinner was born Dec. 23, 1796, and
died Oct. 5, 1855. His wife was born Feb. 6, 1821, and died in
1872. They had four children: Freeman, Clara, Miles Co.,
and Luella Alderman. C. M. Alderman died May 25, 1914.
He was a Republican. To Mr. and Mrs. C. M. Alderman were
born two children: C. G., the subject of this sketch; and
L. C. , born in April, 1873, resides on the home place with his
C. G. Alderman was reared and educated on his
father's farm and has always lived in Windsor Township. For
several years he operated a mill and since his marriage has engaged in
farming. He owns the old home place of 397 acres and specializes
in dairy farming. He is also a grain farmer. The Alderman
farm is well improved and is one of the fine stock farms of
On Oct. 29, 1893, Mr. Alderman was united in
marriage with Miss Nevia Moore, a native of Bunker Hill,
Ashtabula, born Sept. 30, 1875, and the daughter of J. B. and Amelia
(Abram) Moore. Mr. Moore was born in Ohio and died March 4,
1896, at the age of forty-eight years. His wife, who was born Oct.
8, 1855, died March 7, 1924. They were the parents of the
following children: Mrs. Alderman; Luella Merriman,
lives in Cleveland; Alice J. Moore, lives at Warren, Ohio;
Ninon G. Phelps, lives at Jefferson; W. R., lives at
Waynesburg, Ohio; and Bernice H. Godfrey, lives at Warren, Ohio.
To Mr. and Mrs. C. C. Alderman, two children were born:
Wayne G., born March 3, 1897, lives at home, was married Aug. 24,
1922, to Marie Bemik, and they have two children, Merlin,
born Aug. 16, 1923, and Marlin a twin; and Gladys L. Horton,
born July 16, 1899, lives at Stoneville, Ohio, has two children, Harlan
W., born Sept. 18 1921, and Milford C., born July 20, 1924.
Mr. Alderman is a Republican and a member of the
Grange. He is among the substantial and highly respected citizens
of Ashtabula County.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
A. ALDERMAN, a Civil War veteran, is
a member of one of Ashtabula County's oldest families. He was born
in a log cabin, on a farm in Windsor Township, Aug. 10, 1844, the eldest
child of Isaac Newton and Elizabeth (Bacon) Alderman.
His paternal grandparents were Elijah, Jr., and
Rosanna (Phelps) Alderman. His maternal grandparents, Grove
and Betsey (Hoskins) Bacon and these ancestors all came from
Connecticut in about the year 1810.
Isaac Newton Alderman was born in Windsor, Nov.
23, 1823, and died April 2, 1899 having lived most of his life in
Windsor either as a farmer or mail carrier for Uncle Sam.
Elsworth A. Alderman received a fair education
in the district schools of those days, and in 1862, the day before he
was eighteen, he volunteered for service in the Civil War. He
enlisted with Company K, 105th O. V. T. and was sent to Lexington, Ky.
Retreating from there the regiment saw its first hard fighting at
Perryville, Ky., where one-third of its numbers were lsot. He was
taken prisoner near Murfreesborough, Tenn., and upon his release joined
his regiment at Missionary Ridge. After taking part in the
"Atlanta Campaign," which lasted one hundred and twenty days, during
which his regiment was under fire eight-three days, he left Atlanta Nov.
14, 1864 and "Sherman's March to the Sea, " and arrived in Savannah on
Christmas Day. After a short rest his regiment started thru the
Carolinas, meeting engagements at Bentonville, Goldsboron, and Raleigh.
A short distance from Raleigh, Gen. Johnston surrendered and the war was
over. Discharged in June, 1865 he returned to Windsor, where he
has since resided.
Aug. 17, 1866, Mr. Alderman was married to
Miss Florence Turner, who was born in Windsor, May 29, 1844 and died
Dec. 21, 1924, the only daughter of Warren and Laura Lovira (Skinner)
Turner. To them three children were born: Ada L.,
born March 13, 1867, now a retired school teacher; Bernard K.,
born Oct. 9, 1871, and died May 16, 1912, became a very skillful
electrical engineer; and Coridon W., born Sept. 26, 1875, lives
near the home place in Windsor, and has two children, Helen Estelle,
born Sept. 13, 1906, and Donald Emory, born March 13, 1912.
Mr. Alderman's home place "Maple Gorge Farm,"
was purchased by him and his wife in 1873 and for over fifty years a
grove of fine old rock maples in a gorge, has produced thousands of
gallons of delicious maple syrup, which has been shipped to all parts of
the United States.
Mr. Alderman, who has been township trustee, and
a member of the local School Board for many years, is a respected
citizen of his county, and has a host of friends.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
|L. W. ALLEN,
one of the progressive farmers and stockmen of Andover Township, was
born at Colebrook, Ohio, April 21, 1873, and is the son of William E.
and Sarah M. (Fobes) Allen.
William E. Allen was a native of Ashtabula County,
born Dec. 24, 1833, and the son of Robert Allen. He became
a prosperous farmer and was a substantial citizen of his community.
Mr. Allen died Feb. 7, 1903, and his wife, who was born May 25,
1838, died in 1908. They were the parents of 14 children, as
follows: Robert W., deceased; Ella M., lies at
Colebrook, Ohio; Alice Gertrude, lives in Florida; Laura E.,
lives at Providence, R. I.; Rhoda A., deceased; William Edward,
deceased; Frederick, Rhode Island; Emma, deceased; L.
W., the subject of this sketch; John M., lives at Colebrook,
Ohio; James Lyle, lives in Wayne Township, Ashtabula County;
Edmund, Wayne Township; Bernice B. Blanchard, Wayne Center,
and Jessie Dodge, Clintonville, Wis.
L. W. Allen grew up on his father's farm and
attended the district schools of Ashtabula County. For several
years he was engaged as a grocery clerk, and also followed the carpenter
trade. Mr. Allen has lived on his present farm in Andover
Township for the past two years. He has a well improved farm,
which is equipped with excellent buildings and facilities for caring for
On Nov. 18, 1901, Mr. Allen was married to
Miss Elmina Elizabeth Dodge, a native of Wayne Township, Ashtabula
County, born Sept. 14, 1882, and the daughter of Albert and Elizabeth
Dodge. To this union one son has been born, W. Edward,
March 7, 1903, lives at home.
Mr. Allen is a Republican and a
member of the Congregational church.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
|RILEY G. ALLEN,
now living retired in Dorset, has been a leading farmer and stockman of
Ashtabula County for many years. He was born in Ashtabula County,
Nov. 19, 1845, and is a son of Joseph R. and Mary Anne (Robbins)
Joseph R. Allen was a native of Vermont and an
early settler of Ashtabula County. At an early date he
located at Geneva, where he engaged in the merchandise business.
In 1854, during the gold rush to California, he went west with several
families in covered wagons. After an absence of 14 years, Mrs.
Allen received word that a man by the name of Allen had died while
returning from the coast. Believing this man to be her husband,
she later remarried, and upon her first husband's return, he also
married again. After a number of years, during which time their
second husband and second wife had died, they were remarried.
Mr. and Mrs. Allen had three children: Henry L., deceased;
Riley G., the subject of this sketch; and Dwight, deceased.
Riley G. Allen was born at Geneva and has lived
in Dorset Township since he was 12 years of age. He made his home
with an uncle, Marshall Conant, who owned a cooperage at Dorset.
Mr. Allen learned that trade in the days when barrel staves were
made from teh raw timber. In 1880 he purchased 75 acres of land
and later purchased 68 additional acres. He now lives retired,
having sold his land interests. Mr. Allen cleared off heavy
timber from his 75 acres and the 68 acres he reclaimed. He and
both of his sons were engaged in the pure bred Holstein cattle business
for a number of years and their cattle was shipped to different states.
During the Civil War Mr. Allen enlisted with
Company D, 177th Regiment Ohio Volunteer Infantry and was in service for
Mr. Allen was united in marriage with Miss
Cornelia Burr, who was the daughter of Austin Burr, one of
Dorset's prominent pioneer citizens. She died April 5, 1916.
To Mr. and Mrs. Allen five children were born, as follows:
Marshall, who died at the age of 18 years in a hospital at
Massillon, Ohio; Coralie, died at the age of 13 years; Arthur
lives at Dorset, married Pearl Prentice, and they had seven
children, five now living; Inez M. Freda, Mildred, Arthur and
Vera, two died in infancy; and Austin J., who lives in Dorset
Township. Austin J. Allen is a well known fur dealer and in
1922 purchased nearly $100,000 worth of furs. He is also
interested in the dairy business. He was married to Miss Rachel
Leiby and they have three children, Robert George, Marie Winifred
and Austin J., Jr.
Riley G. Allen is a Republican, a member of the
board of education, has served as township trustee and a personal
property assessor and also real estate. He is an associate member
of the Baptist church. He is an interesting pioneer of the county
and a highly respected citizen.
of Conneaut, Ohio, came to this place from Connecticut, May 1, 1854, and
was for several years engaged in the produce business. In 1868 he started
the Allyn Garden on West Main street, with 100 feet front,
which has since been enlarged to 1,200 feet on the same street.
Mr. Allyn is a direct descendant of
Hon. Matthew and Margaret Allyn, who came
to America in 1632. He has an ancestry of which he may well be proud, and
which, without a broken link in. the chain, is traced as follows:
Hon. Matthew Allyn of
Brampton, Devon county, England, son of Samuel Allyn of
Chelmsford, Essex county, England, came with his older brothers,
Samuel and Deacon Thomas, with the Braintree company to
Charlestown, Massachusetts, in 1632. He was the largest landholder in
Charlestown; in 1636 went to Hartford, Connecticut, and in 1638 removed to
Windsor. He was Judge of General Court and was one of the grantees named
in the charter granted to the Colony of Connecticut by King Charles II. in
1662. He died February 1, 1670 or 71.
Captain Thomas Allyn, second son
of Matthew and Margaret Allyn, was born in
England; married Abigail, daughter of Rev. John
Warham, October 21, 1658; died February 14, 1695.
Hon. and Colonel Matthew
Allyn, second son of Captain Thomas and Abigail
Allyn, was born June 5, 1660; married Elizabeth, daughter of
Henry Wolcott, Jr., January 5, 1686; her death occurred June
4, 1734, and his February 17, 1758.
Captain Thomas Allyn, first son of Matthew and
Elizabeth Allyn, was born about 1686, and died December 11,
Thomas Allyn, first son of Captain
Thomas and Elizabeth Allyn, was born November
7, 1725; married Sarah Phelps, December 13, 1750; died
November 17, 1781.
Alexander Allyn, third son of Thomas
and Sarah Allyn, was born October 14, 1757; married
Mercy, daughter of Captain Sodace and Mercy (Humphrey) Wilcox
of Simsbury, Connecticut. Her death occurred October 14, 1816, and his
May 9, 1822.
Truman Allyn, second son of Alexander and
Mercy Allyn, was born at Windsor, Connecticut, June 11,
1787; married Harriet, daughter of Eli and
Athildred (Curtis) Case, December 17, 1807. She was born
at Canton, Connecticut, December 23, 1788, and died April 6, 1845. He died
June 3, 1849.
Jeremiah Allyn, fourth son of Truman
and Harriet Allyn, was born at Sunsbury, Connecticut,
July 15, 1831; married Abbie A., daughter of Allen
W. and Betsey (Wilder) Niles, November 20, 1855,
at Conneaut, Ohio. She was born at Auburn, New York, August 28, 1836.
Jeremiah and Abbie A. Allyn have one child,
Millie Elizabeth Allyn, born at Conneaut, Ohio, October 15, 1860.
(For Source, See Note 1 Below)
WILLIAM M. ALLYN is a
prosperous groceryman of Ashtabula. He was born in Hartsgrove,
Ashtabula County, March 12, 1902, and is a son of Frank and Alma
Frank Allyn was born at Rome, Ohio, in 1876, and
his wife is a native of Des Moines, Iowa. They live in Ashtabula,
and are the parents of three children, as follows: William M.,
the subject of this sketch; and Mabel and Irene, both
William M. Allyn has always lived in Ashtabula.
After attending the public schools he entered the employ of A. F. Day,
where he remained one year. He then was associated with C. N.
Newlon for two years, after which he was employed in the Bunker Hill
grocery for two years. In June, 1923, Mr. Allyn engaged in
business for himself at 325 Main Street, where he established an
excellent trade. The 22nd of September, 1924. Mr. Allyn
sold his grocery store. He has become manager of the store
for W. D. Ludwig.
On April 2, 1924, Mr. Allyn was
married to Miss Dorothy Gochneaur, born April 30, 1905, Denmark
Township, daughter of Frank and Elizabeth (Brockett) Gochneaur,
natives of Jefferson, Ohio, and Denmark Township. They now reside
on a farm in Denmark township.
Mr. Allyn is a Republican and a member
of the Harris Memorial Presbyterian Church.
H. J. ALWARD, pioneer
business man of Conneaut, was born in Crawford County, Pa., June 29,
1850, and is the son of Benjamin and Sarah J. (McMillan) Alward.
Benjamin Alward was a native of New York, born in
1818. He went to Pennsylvania in 1834 and became a prosperous
farmer, and owned 700 aces of land. Mr. Alward was a
Democrat and a member of the Baptist Church. He and his wife, now
deceased. were the parents of the following children: Cynthia
Jane and Almeda, deceased; H. J., the subject of this
sketch; Anna, deceased; W. B., a farmer, lives in
Pennsylvania; Alsinia, deceased; John D., a farmer, lies
in Pennsylvania; Sarah and Joseph, deceased; Lilly,
lives in Pennsylvania; Clark, deceased; and Gilbert A., a
farmer, also lives in Pennsylvania.
H. J. Alward spent his boyhood on his father's
farm and received his education in the district schools of Crawford
County, Pa. He began life as a farmer in Pennsylvania and he
became an extensive shipper of stock. In 1893 he removed to
Conneaut and engaged in the meat business at the corner of Main and
Harbor streets. After many business interests, Mr. Alward
retired and went to Florida in 1918, but returned to Conneaut in
December, 1921, and established his present meat business at 311 Harbor
Street. His son, Ralph, is in business with him.
On Nov. 15, 1871, Mr. Alward was united in
marriage to Miss Martha J. Gibson, a native of Erie County, Pa.,
and to this union the following children were born: Ralph; Theresa,
married George McDonald, a railroad engineer, lives at Salina,
Kan.; Pearl, a milliner, lives at Erie, Pa.; Forest, lives
in New York City; and Blain, is a World War veteran, lives at
Erie, Pa. In 1904 Mr. Alward was married the second time to
Miss Clara Hall, a native of Crawford County, Pa., and to this
union one child was born, Marjorie, who died at the age of 11
years in 1917. There are three grandchildren: P. J. Alward,
deceased; Boyd McDonald; and Gale McDonald.
J. M. AMSDEN, general
superintendent of the Ohio & Western Pennsylvania Dock Company at
Ashtabula, is a representative citizen of his community. He was
born in Ashtabula, Oct. 5, 1876, and is a son of Austin O. and
Mary (Dickinson) Amsden.
Austin O. Amsden was born in Vermont and came to
Ashtabula in 1860. He clerked in the jewelry store of Mr.
Dickinson, in whose employ he remained for many years. He died
in 1914 at the age of 74 years and his wife, who was born at New Haven,
Conn., died in December, 1921, at the age of 84 years. Mr. and
Mrs. Amsden celebrated their golden wedding anniversary in 1909.
They were the parents of the following children: Fred, who died
at the age of 16 years; Mrs. Elizabeth Sawyer, lives in New York
city; Lewis A., retired, lives in Ashtabula; Arthur D.,
lives in Pasadena, Cal.; Dr. George S., a prominent nerve
specialist of Albany, N. Y., and Jay M., the subject of this
Jay M. Amsden received his education in the
public and high schools of Ashtabula and at the age of 16 years entered
the employ of the M. A. Hanna Company. In 1903 Mr.
Amsden was made superintendent and on July 22, 1924, was made
general superintendent of the company, including the lower lake docks.
In 1900 Mr. Amsden was married to Miss Laura
Gillette, of Indianapolis, and the daughter of Oscar Gillette.
Mr. and Mrs. Amsden have one child, Jane, born in 1907.
Mr. Amsden is a Republican. He is a member
of the Reformed Episcopal Church of Ashtabula and a 32nd degree Mason.
He has served as president of the Chamber of Commerce and as president
of the city council. He is also a member of the Rotary Club of
Ashtabula. Mr. Amsden is well and favorably known in
Ashtabula and takes an active interest in the affairs of his community.
CARL A. ANDERSON is a
substantial citizen of Conneaut. He was born in Sweden, Jan. 1,
1858, and is the son of Andrew and Cecelia Anderson, both of whom
are deceased. There are two children in the Anderson family:
Peter, lives in Conneaut; and Carl A., the subject of this
Carl A. Anderson was educated in Sweden and on
May 3, 1883, emigrated to this country and settled in Conneaut. He
has been in the employ of the Nickel Plate Railroad as a machinist since
May, 1883, and is among the company's most reliable employes. The
Anderson home is located at 238 Rockwell Street.
In 1879 Mr. Anderson was married to Miss
Christina Lagerwal, a native of Sweden and a daughter of Adolph
and Louise Lagerwal, deceased. To Mr. and Mrs. Anderson
seven children have been born, as follows: John, lives at
Tacoma, Wash.; Henry A., at home; Mary, married Harry
Morton, lives in Chicago; Edwin, at home, is a veteran of the
World War, having been in the air service; George, deceased;
Mabel, married Harland Sanford, lives at Amboy; and
Geraldine, at home. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have two
grandchildren, Raymond and Ruth Anderson.
Mr. Anderson and his family are members of the
Lutheran Church and he belongs to the Woodmen of the World and the
E. E. ANDERSON, a well
known and highly esteemed citizen of Colebrook Township, who is engaged
in farming and stock raising, was born in Mahoning County, Ohio, Jan.
25, 1854. He is the son of J. D. and Mary (Roberts) Anderson.
J. D. Anderson was a native of Beaver Falls, Pa.,
born in 1818. He engaged in farming during his entire life and in
1861 located on a farm of 100 acres in Colebrook Township. He died
in 1904 and his wife, who was born in 1822, died at the age of 84 years.
They were the parents of the following children: Joseph Warren,
deceased; Albert, lived at Orwell, Ohio, is now deceased; E.
E., the subject of this sketch; Allen, deceased; Charles,
lives at Youngstown, Ohio; and Helen, deceased.
E. E. Anderson, received his education in the
schools of Colebrook, May 24, 1854, and a daughter of Corydon and
Elizabeth Swain Herrington. Mrs. Anderson had two brothers;
W. T., who lives at Newcastle, Pa., and John, deceased.
To E. E. and Helen (Harrington) Anderson six children have
been born: Beatrice, at home; Emma, lives in Ashtabula;
John, at home; Corydon lives in Ashtabula.
Mr. Anderson is a Republican and has served as
township trustee and assessor. He and his family are members of
the Methodist Episcopal Church and are widely known throughout the
DR. GEORGE S. ANDERSON,
deceased, was a prominent physician and surgeon of Ashtabula County.
He was born in Trumbull County, Ohio, July 11, 1857, and was the son of
George S. and Mary A. (Lintz) Anderson, natives of Ohio and the
parents of the following children: Frank, deceased; Dr.
George S., the subject of this sketch; and Kate, wife of
A. P. Pottenger, lives at Orlando, Fla.
Dr. George S. Anderson was reared in Ohio and
received his education in the district schools and at Pierpont Academy.
He was graduated from the medical school of Western Reserve University
in 1884, and began the practice of his profession at Williamsfield,
Ohio, where he remained five years, then removing to Andover.
Dr. Anderson underwent all the hardships of the country doctors, but
by perseverance and hard work became a leading physician of the county.
He was a personal friend of Dr. Crile, well known surgeon of
Cleveland. In 1904 Dr. Anderson established a sanitorium,
known as Dr. Anderson Original Hot Springs Bath House, at
Andover, in which mineral baths were given. This is now conducted
by Dr. N. B. Osborn, Dr. Anderson's partner.
Before he entered medical college, Dr. Anderson
was married to Miss Lusetta Sterling, a native of Pennsylvania,
who died in 1909. To this union three children were born:
Darl C., Doctor of Chiropractic, lives at Warren, Ohio; Clyde,
deceased; and Grace Cole, lives at Dallas, Texas. On Sept.
18, 1912, Dr. Anderson was married to Miss Lillian Waldeck,
a native of Warren, Ohio, born Nov. 19, 1872, and the daughter of
John V. and Mary E. (Koehler) Waldeck, natives of Germany, and
Warren, Ohio. John V. Waldeck came to the United States
when 13 years of age and grew to manhood in Ohio. He was married
in Warren, Ohio, and engaged in highway road contracting, and was also
engaged at the same time in the coal and building supplies business at
Mr. Waldeck died May 23, 1910, and his wife
lives at Warren, Ohio. They were the parents of three children:
Mrs. Anderson; Grace A. Walwood, lives at Erie, Pa.; and John
Fred, lives at Warren, Ohio. To Dr. George S. and Lillian (Waldeck)
Anderson one child was born, George S., who was born April 1,
Mrs. Anderson is a member of the Eastern Star as
was also her husband. She is now conducting a drug store, known as
Anderson's Pharmacy, at Andover, and she is also one-half owner
of the Dr. Anderson Original Hot Springs Bath House at Andover in
which she is associated with Dr. N. B. Osborn. Mrs. Anderson
is a member of the Mardi Club, and the Christ Episcopalian Church of
Mr. Anderson died Jan. 12, 1924, and is buried
at Andover. He was an independent voter and was identified with
the Masonic Lodge, and the Modern Woodmen of America. He was a
member of the Methodist Church was a representative citizen of Ashtabula
GUST ANDERSON, well known
building contractor of Ashtabula, and substantial citizen of Ashtabula
County, was born in Sweden, May 20, 1871, the son of Andrew J. and
Alice (Person) Anderson.
Andrew J. Anderson and his wife, now deceased, were
natives of Sweden, where they spent their entire lives. He was a
carpenter by trade and died in 1909. His wife died in 1904.
Mr. and Mrs. Anderson had eight children, as follows:
Peter; Hanna; Mary; John; Christian, married L. Larson;
Gust, the subject of this sketch; August, deceased; and
Augusta, lives on the home place in Sweden.
Gust Anderson was reared and educated in Sweden
and came to the United States in 1891 and located at Ashtabula. He
later was employed on the farm of H. R. Holman and L. Fargo,
and three years later entered the employ of a building contractor,
Mr. Drumeller, of Ashtabula. After Mr. Drumeller's
death in 1914 Mr. Anderson purchased the business, which he has
since conducted with success. The place of business is located at
7-9 Spring Street. Mr. Anderson is a reliable business man
and is widely known.
In 1898 Mr. Anderson was united in marriage with
Miss Selma Josephine Anderson, also a native of Sweden, born in
1871 and the daughter of August and Anna (Anderson) Anderson.
Mr. Anderson died in Sweden and his wife and children came to this
country in 1893 and located in Ashtabula. There were 14 children
in the Anderson family. To Gust and Selma
Josephine (Anderson) Anderson the following children have been born:
Annie, supervisor of penmanship in a school at Warren, Pa.;
Fritz, engaged in the contracting business with his father, married
in 1923 to Miss Florence Davison; Algot, Alvar, Signi, Laurence
and Laura, all at home.
Mr. Anderson and his family are members of the
Lutheran Church and are highly esteemed citizens of their community.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
HARRY A. and WILLIAM H. ANDERSON,
grocers, are progressive business men of Ashtabula. They were born
here and are the sons of Edward and Seiverina (Benson) Anderson.
Edward Anderson is a native of Sweden, born Oct.
12, 1851. At the age of 18 years he came to the United States and
located in Ashtabula, where he was employed on the docks for a number of
years. Later, he engaged in the coal business. He is now
retired. Mr. and Mrs. Anderson have six sons, all of whom
live in Ashtabula. They are: J. A., a conductor, employed
by the New York Central Railroad; Harry Andrew, was born April
20, 1891; William H., born Jan. 11, 1896, and George,
employed in the grocery store of his brothers; Arthur, a twin
brother of George employed by the New York Central Railroad; and
Verne, employed by the Van Sweringen Company of Cleveland.
The Anderson Brothers have always lived in
Ashtabula. They were educated in the public schools and in 1916
Harry A. and William H. engaged in the grocery and meat
business at 430 Columbus Street, where they are now located. They
have a fine store and are dealers in high grade meats, groceries, cigars
and candies. The Andersons are ambitious men, whose success
in life is practically assured. They attribute their success to
early business training, which was received in the offices of the
Ashtabula Star-Beacon. They and their brothers, began as carriers
for this paper and had large routes, which gave them business experience
of great value.
Harry A. Anderson was united in marriage with
Miss Ida Carlson, a native of Ashtabula, and to this union one
daughter has been born, Virginia. William H. is unmarried.
In politics and Andersons are identified with the
republican party. They are members of the Swedish Lutheran Church
of Ashtabula Harbor and rank among the excellent business men of the
PETER J. ANDERSON is an
enterprising and well known citizen of Conneaut. He was born in
Sweden, June 24, 1854, and is the son of Andrew and Cecelia Anderson.
Mr. and Mrs. Andrew Anderson, now
deceased, were the parents of the following children: Peter J.
the subject of this sketch; Carl, lives at Conneaut; Hannah
Marie, lives in Sweden; John deceased; Ida, the widow of
Charles Smith, lives in Michigan; Esther, deceased; and one child
died in infancy.
Peter J. Anderson remained in his native land
until in 1882 and upon his arrival in this country settled in
McDonough, County, Ill., where he remained until 1885. On April
2nd of that year he located at Conneaut, where he was employed as a farm
hand for a short time. He then entered the employ of the Nickel
Plate Railroad and worked in various capacities for the railroad company
for 30 years. He was retired June 30, 1924.
On Dec. 29, 1879, Mr. Anderson was married to
Miss Charlotte Johnson, who was born in Sweden, Feb. 20, 1860.
She died April 30, 1893, leaving the following children: Hulda,
deceased; C. S. lives in Conneaut; John, lives in
Cleveland; Viva, married W. B. Stevenson, lives in
Conneaut; Mabel deceased; and one child died in infancy. On
Oct. 22, 1893, Mr. Anderson was marred to Miss Augusta Johnson,
a native of Sweden born April 18, 1872, and a daughter of John and
Louise (Emerik) Johnson, both deceased. Mr. and Mrs. John
were the parents of the following children: Tilda,
deceased; Mrs. Anderson; Gustave; and August, deceased;
Frank, lives in Cleveland; Clara, married A. J. Pihl,
lives at Conneaut; and John, deceased. To Peter J. and
Augusta (Johnson)( Anderson four children were born as follows:
Hulda, deceased; Louise, married Norman Amiden,
lies at Conneaut; Pearl, lives in Cleveland; and Raymond,
Mr. Anderson and his family are members
of the Lutheran Church.
HARRY A. and WILLIAM H.
ANDERSON, grocers, are progressive business men of Ashtabula.
They were born here and are the sons of Edward and Seiverina (Benson)
Edward Anderson is a native of Sweden, born Oct. 12, 1851. At the
age of 18 years he came to the United States and located in Ashtabula,
where he was employed on the docks for a number of years. Later, he
engaged in the coal business. He is now retired. Mr. and Mrs.
Anderson have six sons, all of whom live in Ashtabula. They are:
J. A., a conductor, employed by the New York Central Railroad;
Harry Andrew, was born April 20, 1891; William H., born Jan.
11, 1896, and George, employed in the grocery store of his
brothers; Arthur, a twin brother of George employed by the
New York Central Railroad; and Verne, employed by the Van
Sweringen Company of Cleveland.
The Anderson Brothers have always lived in Ashtabula. They were
educated in the public schools and in 1916 Harry A. and
William H. engaged in the grocery and meat business at 430 Columbus
Street, where they are now located. They have a fine store and are
dealers in high grade meats, groceries, cigars and candies. The
Andersons are ambitious men, whose success in life is practically
assured. They attribute their success to early business training, which
was received in the offices of the Ashtabula Star-Beacon. They and their
brothers, began as carriers for this paper and had large routes, which
gave them business experience of great value.
Harry A. Anderson was united in marriage with Miss Ida
Carlson, a native of Ashtabula, and to this union one daughter has been
born, Virginia. William H. is unmarried.
In politics and Andersons are identified with the republican party. They
are members of the Swedish Lutheran Church of Ashtabula Harbor and rank
among the excellent business men of the community.
Source - History of Ashtabula County, Ohio - by Moina W. Large -
Vol. I - 1924
A. E. ANDRUS, who is
successfully engaged in general farming and stock raising in Morgan
township,, is a native of Ashtabula County. He was born in
Trumbull Township, Dec. 26, 1868, and is the son of John and Mary
John Andrus was born in 1816 and came to this
county from New York in the early days. He was married in 1867 to
Miss Mary Sprague, who was born in 1835 and died in 1912.
To this union two children were born: A. E., the subject of
this sketch; and one child died in infancy.
A. E. Andrus grew up on his father's farm and
received his education in the district schools. He engage d in
farming when he was 21 years old and now owns 225 acres of good farm
land in Ashtabula County. Mr. Andrus specializes in dairy farming
and raises pure bred Holstein cattle.
Mr. Andrus was married to Miss Lenora
Woodruff, a native of New Lyme Township, born Oct. 13, 1872, and the
daughter of Nelson and Louisa (Peck) Woodruff. Mr. and Mrs.
Woodruff, deceased, were the parents of the following children:
Alice; Mrs. Andrus; Florence; Walter, lives in California;
Lillian, lives in Ashtabula. To Mr. and Mrs. Andrus
four children have been born, as follows: Adelbert T., born
Feb. 6, 1904; Howard W., born Nov. 28, 1905, was graduated from
Rich Creek High School in 1923; Mary E., born Nov. 24, 1908; and
Evelyn Mildred, born Oct. 16, 1912.
Mr. Andrus is an independent voter. He and
his family hold membership in the Methodist Episcopal churn was well are
welcome from the known and citizens of their community.
C. W. APPLEBY, a well known
and successful attorney of Conneaut has been engaged in the practice of
his profession there since 1898. He was born at Conneaut in March,
1877, and is the son of William W. and Ida J. (Wyles) Appleby.
William W. Appleby is a native of Conneaut and now
lives retired at Elyria, Ohio. He is the son of Capt. C. W.
Appleby, one of the pioneer navigation men of the Great Lakes.
William W. Appleby at one time owned practically all of Conneaut.
He is a Republican and served as city clerk and councilman of Conneaut
for a number of years. Mrs. Appleby died in 1921.
They were the parents of the following children: Mamie,
died in infancy; C. W., the subject of this sketch; Harry,
deceased; Fred, engaged with manufacturers of the Rollin
Automobile of Cleveland; Frances, married Clyde Raufus,
high school teacher at Elyria, Ohio; and Walter,
C. W. Appleby has always lived in Conneaut.
After completing his high school course he entered Cornell
University,and was graduated from the law department in the class of
1898. He has practiced his profession in Conneaut continuously
since that time.
On Dec. 30, 1902, Mr. Appleby was united in
marriage with Miss Elizabeth Thompson, a native of Conneaut and
the daughter of Z. H. and Harriet (Rea) Thompson, the
former a native of Ashtabula County and the latter of Pennsylvania.
Mr. Thompson was serving as president of the Conneaut Canning
Company at the time of his death, in 1903. His wife died in 1922.
They were the parents of two children: Clayton A., lies in
California; and Mrs. Appleby. To Mr. and Mrs. Appleby
have been born two children: Frances Rea, a sophomore at
Northwestern University; and Harrison, a student in New York.
Mrs. Appleby died Oct. 24, 1920.
Mr. Appleby is a Republican. He is a
capable man in his profession and is a citizen of high ideals.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
NOTE: Also see William W.
W. E. ARMSTRONG, justice
of the peace at Austinburg, is a well known and highly respected citizen
of Ashtabula County. He was born at Gustavus, Ohio, Aug. 2, 1853, and is
the son of Erastus H. and Julia (Falemsby) Armstrong.
Erastus H. Armstrong was a native of New York and died many years
ago in Pennsylvania. His wife, a native of Vermont, was later married to
George Newton, who died in 1891. She died in 1894. There were
five children in the Armstrong family as follows: Nettie, John
F., Lewis T., all deceased; W. E., the subject of this
sketch; and Allison H., who lives at Geneva, Ohio. By her second
marriage Mrs. Newton had one son, Fred, who died in 1923.
W. E. Armstrong spent his boyhood at Pierpont, in Ashtabula
County, and at the age of 17 years began as a traveling salesman,
selling a patented washing machine. He later located at Jamestown, Pa.,
and from there came to Austinburg, where he farmed for two years. He
then became a thresher and after settling at Austinburg became engaged
in the grocery and milling business. After selling out this business,
Mr. Armstrong was employed by the Pennsylvania Railroad as a
stationary engineer for a number of years. He is now custodian of the
Austinburg schools and for a number of years has served as justice of
Mr. Armstrong was united in marriage with Miss Estelle E.
Armstrong, a native of Indiana, and the daughter of Zacheus
Armstrong. To Mr. and Mrs. Armstrong four children were born,
as follows: Reginald, died in 1906; Floyd D., lives in Ashtabula,
where he is employed by the Hewins Paper & Twine Company;
Donald D., lives at Geneva, Ohio; and Blanch, the wife of
G. B. D. Owen, lives at Austinburg, Ohio, where Mr. Owen is
In politics Mr. Armstrong is identified with the Democratic
party. He has served as township committeeman for 25 years and on the
Democratic county executive board for about 20 years. He is a member of
the Masonic lodge and is esteemed throughout the community as a reliable
Source - History of Ashtabula County, Ohio - by Moina W. Large - Vol. I
- 1924 - Page 822
HENRY M. ARNER, deceased,
was one of Ashtabula County's successful farmers. He was born in
Trumbull County, Ohio, Jan. 1, 1845, and was the son of George and
Nancy (Atkinson) Arner.
George Arner and his wife were natives of Trumbull
county and removed to Ashtabula county in 1860., and located on a farm
Henry M. Arner received his education in the old
academy at Kingsville, Ohio, and engaged in farming during his entire
life. He and his father were prominent dairymen of the county and
operated 277 acres of good farm land. After his father's death,
Mr. Arner continued farming on his farm of 165 acres. In 1919
he retired and moved to Dorset where he died May 7, 1924.
On Oct. 20, 1877, Mr. Arner was married at
Andover, Ohio, to Miss Jennie Holcomb, the daughter of
Hoel and Orilla (Jones) Holcomb, the former a native of Connecticut
and the latter of Trumbull County, Ohio. At the age of 14 years
Mr. Holcomb came to Ohio making the trip from Connecticut by ox
team. He was a shoemaker by trade and was a prominent citizen of
Andover, where he settled in 1839. He died at the age of 75 years.
Mr. and Mrs. Holcomb were the parents of the following children:
Henry, Almina, and Albert, all deceased; Mrs. Arner;
Mrs. Salva Clark, lives in California; James, lives in
Illinois; and Everett, lives at Andover. Mrs. Arner
was reared and educated at Andover and taught school for seven terms
before her marriage. She taught at Pierpont, Andover, and
Williamsfield, Ohio. To Mr. and Mrs. Arner four children
were born; Charles Albert, who died in 1911;
Alice, who died at the age of 28 years; Sabra, who lives in
Cleveland; and Mrs. Ruth Stamey, with whom her
mother lives. Mrs. Arner's three daughters were all
Mr. Arner was a member of the
Methodist Church, served as school director, and was township trustee
for more than 20 years. He was industrious, earnest and sincere,
and merited the high regard in which he was held by the community.
GEORGE T. ARTHUR, who is
successfully engaged in the hardware business of Conneaut, was born in
Ontario, Canada, in 1869, and is the son of Charles and Louise (Traver)
Charles Arthur and his wife, natives of Ontario, Canada, are now
deceased. Mrs. Arthur died in Canada in 1870 and Mr. Arthur
died at Conneaut in 1908. George T., the subject of this
sketch, was their only child.
George T. Arthur received his education in Canada and came to
this country in 1887, locating at Conneaut. Since that time he has been
engaged in the hardware business in the same location on Main Street.
Mr. Arthur does a large volume of business and is widely known as a
reliable business man.
In 1897 Mr. Arthur was married to Miss Lillie Brown,
natives of Ohio and early settlers of Missouri. Dr. Brown served
throughout the Civil war with an Ohio regiment. He died in 1871, and his
wife died in 1917. Mrs. Arthur has one brother, William,
who is engaged in farming near Geneva, Ohio. To George T. and Lillie
(Brown) Arthur five children have been born: Louise, married
Frank Spieldenner, a public accountant, lives in New York city;
Marion, lives in Cleveland; James, in store with his
father and has charge of the office; and Robert and Mabel.
Mr. Arthur is a Republican and has served as a member of the school
board for a number of years. He and his family are members of the
Source - History of Ashtabula County, Ohio - by Moina W. Large - Vol. I
- 1924 - Page 579
S. L. ASHLEY, a progressive
farmer and stockman of Morgan Township and the owner of 325 acres of
well improved and, is a native of Ashtabula County. He was born in
Richland Township, Feb. 16, 1852, and is a son of A. and Sarah
A. Ashley was born in Richmond Township in 1827 and
was a leading farmer of Ashtabula County during his life. There
were three children born to Mr. and Mrs. Ashley: A. A.,
Sarah L., and S. L., the subject of this sketch.
S. L. Ashley was reared on his father's farm and
attended the district schools of Richland Township. He has lived
on his present farm in Morgan Township for twenty-seven years. He
is well known throughout the county as a dairy farmer and is a breeder
of registered stock exclusively.
On June 6, 1874, Mr. Ashley was married to
Miss Sarah French, who was born in Pennsylvania, April 9, 1857, and
died Nov. 17, 1920. To this union six children were born, as
follows: Solomon B., born Aug. 12, 1876, lives at
Kingsville, Ohio; Maud Parks, born July 23, 1879, lives at
Ashtabula, and has six children, Ora, Ward, Hubert, Kenneth,
Lawrence, and Paul; Claud, born Oct. 15, 1883, lives in
Morgan Township, and has six children, Lloyd, George, Zoe, Berdette,
Walter, and Elva; Floyd, born Dec. 18, 1895, lives at home,
and has four children, Miriam, Lucille, Robert, and Salome;
Florence, born Dec. 18, 1897, married Mr. Roth, and they have
two children, Louise and Donald; and one child died in
In politics Mr. Ashley is identified with the
Republican party. He is an excellent citizen and is widely known
in Ashtabula County.
(See Note 2 below for Source)
DR. W. S. D. ASHLEY,
well known veterinary surgeon of Ashtabula County, located in Richmond
Township, was born on the farm where he now lives, Dec. 13, 1859, the
son of S. D. and Eliza F. Ashley.
S. D. Ashley was a native of Richmond Township,
born Dec. 13, 1822, and the son of Salmon and Ann Ashley, natives
of Connecticut and early settlers of Ashtabula County.
Salmon Ashley is a son of Elkna, son of
Robert Ashley son of Robert Ashley, who settled at Fort
Ann, N. Y. in 1788. He bought 400 acres of old John Kinsman
for $1.25 per acres, with ten years to pay it without interest.
Black salts made from wood ashes was the only product that would bring
money and not much of that. Salmon Ashley, with his
young wife, cleared a small spot and erected a one room log house. 12x18
feet. They cleared the land as fast as they could, burning the
timber to get rid of it. The Indians were plentiful here but
very friendly, and Ashley always fed them and was kind to them.
On one occasion when the mother was cooking her venison for dinner, the
bear skin which was hung up for a door, was brushed aside and in came a
fierce, rough looking Indian hunter, who was lost and nearly starved.
He made motions to give him something to eat, and although Mrs.
Ashley was very much frightened she gave him some corn bread, and hoe
cake patties, made of unsifted meal ground in a hole burned into a stump
for a mortar and ground with a round stone, the only way to make meal
then. He ate very heartily as he had been lost two days, and when
he finished eating he made his bow of thanks and departed. In
about three months this Indian came to the door with the saddle of a
deer "hind quarters," and placed it upon the table.
Tables were made of a log split open, face up, and four
legs driven into auger holes. All chairs were made the same way.
There were no floors, only skins and pelts. Mrs. Ashley used to
go to Padanaran to visit her parents, a distance of five miles, and she
would go afoot, carrying a baby and leading another. She often saw
wild deer, bears, and wolves skulk across the road ahead of her.
Wild animals did not make an attack in the daytime. On one
occasion her old sow that had a litter of small pigs began to squeal
about midnight, and the mother was alone with her three babies.
She knew that a bear was after her only hog and grabbing her ax as a
weapon she ran to the log enclosure just in time to see a large bear
bringing the old sow over the top of the log pen. He did not seem
to be afraid but began eating the pig. Mrs. Ashley threw
clubs at him to scare him away but when he only growled she had to give
up her task. Her husband came home in the night and when she told
him of the bear killing husband came home in the night and when she told
him of the bear killing the sow, he took his old flint-lock gun and just
at daylight carefully surveyed the tree top where the bear had left the
pig half covered by leaves. When he spied Mr. Bear
hidden, he brought him down with the first shot. These are
only a few of the many dangers that our grandparents underwent to clear
our homes and rear their large families.
S. D. Ashley taught school at Linesville, Pa.,
for 26 years and later studied law, being admitted to the bar in
Cleveland in 1863. He practiced law for 30 years and was justice
of the peace for 16 years. HE was a Republican and a prominent
member of the Masonic lodge. To S. D. and Eliza F. Ashley
seven children were born as follows: Eugene, lives at Erie,
Pa.; Alice J. Blood, lies in Los Angeles, Cal.; Dr. W. S. D.,
the subject of this sketch; Dr. Albert C., a physician, lives in
Cleveland; Fred J. and F. B., live in Cleveland; and
George B. deceased.
Dr. W. S. D. Ashley received his education in
the schools of Pierpont and after attending Kingsville College for three
years, entered Ontario College in 1901, and was graduated from there in
1904. Since that time Doctor Ashley has practiced his
profession continuously in Richmond Township he has an extensive
practice throughout the county.
On March 28, 1878, Doctor Ashley was married to
Miss Hattie Follett, who died in 1898, leaving four children as
follows: Emily L., Frank B., and Howard, all
deceased; and Mrs. E. H. Wood, lives in Ashtabula County, and she
has two children, Sarah and Harriet. On Nov. 20,
1913, Doctor Ashley was married to Mrs. Julia (Lisbon) Allen.
Doctor Ashley has served as notary public for 20
years and as justice of the peace for three years. He is a
Republican and a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church and he had his
family are highly esteemed throughout Ashtabula County.
THOMAS ASUNMAA, manager of
the Co-operative Grocery Company of Ashtabula Harbor, is a progressive
and enterprising citizen of Ashtabula County. He was born in Finland,
July 15, 1874, and is the son of Herman and Susanna Asunmaa.
Herman Asunmaa, who lives retired in Finland, ha been a farmer all
his life. His wife is deceased. They were the parents of the following
children: Andrew, lives in Ashtabula; John and Mary, who
live in Finland; Thomas, the subject of this sketch; and several
other children who are deceased.
Thomas Asunmaa spent his boyhood in his native land and in
1891 came to this country and located at Ashtabula Harbor. In 1906 he
became connected with the Cooperative Grocery Company as manager. This
is one of the leading grocery stores of the Harbor and maintains a
delivery system throughout the city.
Mr. Asunmaa was married in 1897 to Miss Susanna
Arkki, and to this union three children have been born, as
follows: Selma, lives in Cleveland; Taano E., employed by
the Pennsylvania R. R.; and W. H., a clerk in the Cooperative
Mr. Asunmaa is a Republican, a member of the Finnish Lutheran
church and belongs to the Modern Woodmen of America.
Source - History of Ashtabula County, Ohio - by Moina W. Large - Vol. I
- 1924 - Page 555
B. F. AYRES, a leading farmer
and stockman of Andover Township, is a member of one of the first
families that settled in Ashtabula County. He was born at
Linesville, Pa., in 1848, and is the son of Eli and Adeline (Collemay)
Eli Ayers was born in Trenton, N. J., June 5,
1809, and died Sept. 9, 1885. He was a farmer and at an early date
settled at Linesville, Pa., where he reared his family of eight
children, as follows: Milton, Mary, Nelson and Arminda, all
deceased; B. F., the subject of this sketch; Naomi and Lavera,
both deceased; and Wesley, who lives at Conneaut, Ohio.
Adeline (Collemay) Ayers was born in 1817 and died
in 1862. Mr. Ayers was later married to Mary Pennell,
and to this union one child was born, Elmer Ayers, who now lives
B. F. Ayers attended school at Linesville, Pa.,
and when he was 16 years of age he settled at Andover, where he was
employed in a cheese factory. Four years later he engaged in
general farming and stock raising, in which pursuit he has been
successfully engaged since. He owns 50 acres.
On Aug. 27, 1870, Mr. Ayers was married to
Miss Minnie Stillman, a native of Ohio, born June 23, 1851, and the
daughter of Alva and Alma (Mack) Stillman, natives of Andover.
Mr. Stillman was born Feb. 21, 1825, and his wife was born April
2, 1826, both now deceased. They were the parents of the following
children: Delbert, lives at Andover; Mrs. Ayers; and
Eddie, deceased. To B. F. and Minnie (Stillman) Ayers
two children were born: Alma, wife of Roy Gove, born March
22, 1871, and she has three children: Iven, Glenn, and
George; and Howard E., born Jan. 30, 1875, died May 1, 1919.
Politically, Mr. Ayers is a Republican.
The Ayers family are well known and among the substantial
citizens of the county.
Source 1 - Biographical History of
Northeastern, Ohio Embracing the Counties of Ashtabula, Geauga and Lake.
Containing Portraits of all the Presidents of the United States with a Biography
of each, together with Portraits and Biographies of Joshua R. Giddings, Benjamin
F. Wade and a large number of Early Settlers and Representative Families of
Chicago: The Lewis Publishing Company - 1893.
Source 2 - History of Ashtabula County, Ohio by Mrs. Moina W. Large - 1924
NOTE: There will be an asterisk (*) next to the biographies that have a